Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Saw this on facebuke earlier. Their shop is on Fair St. The ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

They have dealt with him in the past so they haven't discriminated against him because he is gay strictly speaking. I don't agree with them. Fair enough if their Christianity is important to how they conduct their business but they should make that known in their branding. Their excuse is bull anyway. I doubt they would turn down a straight couple having a civil wedding or who had kids outside marriage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Some people are disgraceful, why does their sexuality matter at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

How is it discrimination? Jonathon Brennan said "I've given them business for 4 years". They didn't discriminate against him; they told him they were unable to fulfill his request.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How is it discrimination? Jonathon Brennan said "I've given them business for 4 years". They didn't discriminate against him; they told him they were unable to fulfill his request.

They discriminated against his sexual orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

"Pair of qwayers", the businessman was reported as saying before he went on to explain that they didn't have glitter ink anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

"We believe the love of God is extended to all people and that He has us all to walk in the light of His word, he He is the way, the truth and the life"

And for this reason they won't print off some flyers. How do they not see the glorious irony right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Some people are disgraceful, why does their sexuality matter at all.

its not their sexuality thats the problem

its the invites they want him to make

he should have the right to tell them no if he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

They refused a service based on his sexual orientation. That's basically the definition of discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

nokia69 wrote: »

If it's a cake he wanted made, the printers had the right to refuse him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I know I will get slated, But No one has the right to have a business do work for them. Both parties enter into a contract so if either do not want to. This needs to be put into the discrimination legislation. As at the moment it's not Illegal. But it's hard to prove anyway in a lot of cases the shop may just refuse to serve a black or gay or other Religion Its up to the aggrieved party to prove intent. On a side note if it was the In Religion at the moment refusing on Beliefs most people would be on going “As is Their Right” and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Sonics2k wrote: »
    They refused a service based on his sexual orientation. That's basically the definition of discrimination.

If you read what you quoted you would see that that is blatantly not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I strongly suspect that a lot more businesses would do likewise if they thought they could get away with it, and therein lies the issue. It's not just about cakes, or it's not just about this issue, it's about what would happen if businesses as a whole could get away with discriminating against people because of their sexuality.

Try and imagine living in a town where the local corner shop refused your business because their religious sensibilities disapproved of your "lifestyle" and you have to go across town and out of your way to do your shopping, or that the local coffee shop refused to serve you for the same, or that you couldn't go to a particular restaurant with friends because they too refuse to serve you. Maybe your friends don't ask you out for drinks because they have to pick the one place that will serve your type and they'd rather go elsewhere for a change. Imagine you couldn't do your business because a print shop won't supply you, imagine having an extra hard time looking for housing, or looking for employment. Now try and imagine how shoved to the sidelines of society you'd feel in that situation, how isolated you'd be, and how difficult it would be to just live your life as normal. Imagine being refused medical treatment!

That's what people like me fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Ideally, what would happen here is that people (gay and non-gay) would boycott the store, forcing the storeowners to change their policy (and hopefully ridiculous religious views), or to go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I know I will get slated, But No one has the right to have a business do work for them. Both parties enter into a contract so if either do not want to. This needs to be put into the discrimination legislation. As at the moment it's not Illegal. But it's hard to prove anyway in a lot of cases the shop may just refuse to serve a black or gay or other Religion Its up to the aggrieved party to prove intent. On a side not if it was the In Religion at the moment refusing on Beliefs most people would be on going “As is Their Right” and all that.

But to refuse to do work for someone based on gender/race/sexuality/age is discrimination.

Thing is, if they'd just said no they wouldn't need to defend themselves. They openly admit it's because they're holy rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

What el dangeroso says below is the point I was (badly) trying to make. He says it a lot better than I ever could.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Surely there are other printing companies nearby who will fulfil this request? I have a feeling the owner of the business involved might see a drop in business due to this news spreading around.

I often wonder if people who proclaim stuff like this "offends them due to their religion" live to the extent of what their religion defines what is okay and what is not. I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Frynge wrote: »
    It is really the same as a printer refusing to print invites to a children's peadophile party or an upcoming al quaida convention.

I seriously hope this is you trying to parody what some right-wing religous nutcase would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hope these good bible following Christians have stayed true to their word and stoned their sons to death if they stepped out of line, and themselves if they've ever blasphemed. Hope they havnt worked on the Sabbath either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Should these people be forced to do work that they dont want to do?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

nokia69 wrote: »

Man!

If you're not condoning police racism in Ferguson you're condoning sexual bigotry in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

If you read what you quoted you would see that that is blatantly not the case.

Actually, it makes a strong case for this being discrimination. If they do business for four years but then only stop when homosexuality enters the equation it at the very least heavily implies the only reason they're refusing business in this one instance is related to that.

It is really the same as a printer refusing to print invites to a children's peadophile party or an upcoming al quaida convention.

Refusing to print something that's involved in illegal activity (kiddie fiddling and terrorism both being that) is sliiiightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I posted about this at the end of the "Marriage thread" and then saw this here so deleted my comment.
    To people saying that a business has the right to refuse services, I'm not sure thats entirely correct.
    If a shop refused to serve a Muslim or a Chinese person(or whatever)they would be guilty of discrimination and reprimanded.
    And rightly so.

Why is it still, in this day and age, seen as permissible to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

You are right. It's exactly the same…….. in no way whatsoever!

I've heard about people who make statements like that, but never actually overheard one, or seen one being posted in real time.

I despair…..

Should these people be forced to do work that they dont want to do?

They're openly discriminating against someone based on sexual orientation. This should be publicized so that any sane minded folk can boycott them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They're openly discriminating against someone based on sexual orientation. This should be publicized so that any sane minded folk can boycott them.
    Indeed, let the market decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

They didn't refuse to serve him because he is gay, they refused to serve this specific request because they don't agree with it. Did you not read where the man himself said he did business with them for 4 years previously? Not being able to fulfill one request is different to discrimination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

eviltwin wrote: »
    They discriminated against his sexual orientation.

it's not the individual they object to (they've done business with him for four years), it's the material they object to .......... and they are well within their rights both morally and legally to refuse to put their name/reputation to a product for whatever reason.
    It's not a public service, it's their business ........ nobody has the right to remove the printer's right to choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement