Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

If you need to ask that question you will never understand.

So I should just accept what I'm told blindly and ask no questions ? We tried that in Ireland and look at the history of the Catholic church and the devastation it has caused here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

that image is very sad, it's the ultimate subjugation of a people to the invader's alien culture. Just like what happened when Irish culture was destroyed by roman catholicism.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I never said im in favour of freedom of religion, I'm in favour of Catholicism.

Other religions are wrong so they should not be promoted and they are not equal.

Wow, so much narrow minded bigotry in one comment.
    With comments like this it's no wonder Northern Protestants don't want a United Ireland.

If you're making northern protestants look tolerant, you're definitely doing it wrong.

Life ain't always empty.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Wow, so much narrow minded bigotry in one comment.
    With comments like this it's no wonder Northern Protestants don't want a United Ireland.

Northern Protestants want to cause trouble so of course they have no interest whatsoever in a United irelands. Why whould you even imagine they would want it under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Other religions are wrong so they should not be promoted and they are not equal.

Yes.

This post makes me feel gleeful that church attendance continues to decline (going by available data) and will probably continue to do so. :D

Next up, tackle the Catholic influence on the majority of schools in the country. It will happen at some stage, hopefully very soon.

Northern Protestants want to cause trouble so of course they have no interest whatsoever in a United irelands. Why whould you even imagine they would want it under any circumstances.

Certainly not to unite with ultramontane roman catholicism, no, and who could blame them.

I'm not northern or protestant and I don't want anything to do with it either, despite the best efforts of the waffen-CBS

Life ain't always empty.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    This post makes me feel gleeful that church attendance continues to decline (going by available data) and will probably continue to do so. :D

Comparing this year with say 5 years ago attendance is considerably increasing so I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.

People have realised that a life without religion in is not a happy or fulfilling way of life and they are returning to the church.

Comparing this year with say 5 years ago attendance is considerably increasing so I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.

People have realised that a life without religion in is not a happy or fulfilling way of life and they are returning to the church.

You must not have a very satisfying life if you need religion to be happy

I presume you have data to back that up? Data, not anecdotes.

Maybe the hangover horrors are what are making your life seem unfulfilling. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You know, i always think I'm gonna get sick of these threads where noxy proves himself to be an embarrassing throwback to 50s Ireland who thinks him and his 5 mates down the pub are right and everyone else is wrong but they keep on delivering.

Well done AH.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You know, i always think I'm gonna get sick of these threads where noxy proves himself to be an embarrassing throwback to 50s Ireland who thinks him and his 5 mates down the pub are right and everyone else is wrong but they keep on delivering.

Well done AH.

I know, he's like the negative control in an experiment on modern Ireland.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I presume you have data to back that up? Data, not anecdotes.

Maybe the hangover horrors are what are making your life seem unfulfilling. ;)

i'd only around 9 pints and a small drop of whiskey tonight, there will be no horrors from that.

I can't think of anything more unhappy or unfulfilling than a life dependent on the whims of some supernatural power who is supposedly open to pleading but has never been observed to pay the slightest bit of notice.

Life ain't always empty.

i'd only around 9 pints and a small drop of whiskey tonight, there will be no horrors from that.

Sure hun. xoxoxoxox

Anyway, I have to state plainly that I find the views you've expressed in this thread thoroughly unpleasant and pigheaded. Especially in this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94579894&postcount=238

Awful stuff. Are you completely devoid of self-awareness and do you really not realise how badly you come across? Well, I suppose the above post was made with a rake of drink on you, so it's certainly telling anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Must be a ****e night out if you can count how much you drank.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Must be a ****e night out if you can count how much you drank.

Sounds about as fun as a mass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Northern Protestants want to cause trouble of course they have no interest whatsoever in a United ireland.

A small minority want to cause trouble, let's not generalize.
    I really wouldn't blame them for not wanting to be part of a country that imposed a different religion on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Are you paying your TV licence ? To RTE ? if you are , then you can send RTE this new enhanced audio of the Angelus to play as a new re-write of the old dreary depressing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Oh look it's an anecdote from nox about what he supposedly sees in several rural churches- well that settles things.

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    A small minority want to cause trouble, let's not generalize.
    I really wouldn't blame them for not wanting to be part of a country that imposed a different religion on them

Yes I should have said some not all.

Im done with this thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

catallus wrote: »
    On an ecumenical level is there any reason at all to listen to those who are deaf to the voice of God in their hearts?

I, for one, tend to distrust those who think they hear voices. Especially if the voices tell them to take away the rights of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

this isn't a secular state. it's a catholic country, and those that attempt to erode this have too much time on their hands.

as an agnostic, a tv licence payer and a non-rte-watching citizen i have no issue with the Angelus being shown on tv each day or on national radio.

there are a lot of things this country needs to change but losing it's catholic identity is not one of them.

shane7218 wrote: »
    Its an absolute disgrace and all forms of religion (including the angelus rubbish) should be removed from the public sphere.

If people want to practice Christianity, through any of its branches, or Buddhism, or Islam, or Judaism, or whatever religion they like, they should be free to do so, and to do so publicly if they wish. That is what freedom of religion means, provided that those who choose not to practice a religion are also free to not practice it.

Religious freedom requires that no state body should include a reference to any religious doctrine. Neither should a state body promote a religion. I would have no issues if the Catholic Church took the sixty seconds from 6.00 to 6.01 to play the Angelus as a paid advertisement. I do not find it objectionable compared to (say) the No Nonsense insurance advert. What I object to is that the licence fee I am obliged to pay to RTE funds that one minute advert.

Personally I'd hate to live in a world where the Hare Krishna were not free to walk up and down Grafton Street with their funky music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Zen65 wrote: »
    If people want to practice Christianity, through any of its branches, or Buddhism, or Islam, or Judaism, or whatever religion they like, they should be free to do so, and to do so publicly if they wish. That is what freedom of religion means, provided that those who choose not to practice a religion are also free to not practice it.

Religious freedom requires that no state body should include a reference to any religious doctrine. Neither should a state body promote a religion. I would have no issues if the Catholic Church took the sixty seconds from 6.00 to 6.01 to play the Angelus as a paid advertisement. I do not find it objectionable compared to (say) the No Nonsense insurance advert. What I object to is that the licence fee I am obliged to pay to RTE funds that one minute advert.

Personally I'd hate to live in a world where the Hare Krishna were not free to walk up and down Grafton Street with their funky music.

What you have described is what freedom of religion is actually about. Anybody is free to practice any religion they so wish but its not the states remit to promote any religion above another. I been hearing this is a catholic country BS since i was a child and even as a child i knew it was an opressive influence on this country.

there are a lot of things this country needs to change but losing it's catholic identity is not one of them.

That really depends on what you think the Catholic identity is?

For those abused at the hands of the church, the Catholic identity is very different than it is to the pensioner who has gone to mass every day for 60 years and finds great comfort in the ritual.

For those who experienced the Catholic church's support of Hitler, it meant something different again. Others may see its tradition through the eyes of the missions that sought to convert people in Africa by bestowing help on the condition of accepting a faith that was not naturally theirs. The family of Savita Halappanavar see the Catholic identity in a very different way.

For many Irish women, the Catholic identity was seen in the enforced imprisonment of those women who spoke against their husbands, or who demanded rights. Perhaps they see the Catholic tradition as being the unequal treatment of women in the church? Perhaps some remember the insistence on a priest performing a ceremony to absolve women of the sin of childbirth? Others recall how our Catholic identity meant that we could not have contraception, while our neighbours in Belfast could?

People within a religion (not just Catholicism) often do not see the flaws and absence of human rights which are enshrined within that religion's teachings. They see it in other religions of course. So those who see the violent teachings in the Islamic faith are quick to condemn it, but are most typically blind to the violence in the teachings of their own church. The Bible, like the Koran, contains many passages advocating murder, genocide, rape and slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

All religions are wrong, including yours, so the only way to be fair is to NOT promote any. Your attitude is extremely dangerous, forcing people to believe in your way of thinking. We can see how this pans out in the world today.

Are you suggesting a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddist or a Jew that practices his or her religion peacefully, is not equal to a Catholic? What makes the Catholic above anybody else. It is just by pure chance you were born in Ireland, it doesn't make you superior to anybody.

The fact that there are less masses being said because of dropping attendences is proof that this isn't the case.

People can live a wonderfully fulfilling life without religion, just as people can live one that they find fulfilling with religion. Also, people can suffer a depression unhappy filled life with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yes I should have said some not all.

Im done with this thread anyway.

Yeah, I'd surrender too if my anecdotes weren't working.

Didn't you claim to be a physicist? As one, you should know that anecdotes are one of the worst forms of "evidence" for your claim.

Eutow wrote: »
    All religions are wrong, including yours, so the only way to be fair is to NOT promote any. Your attitude is extremely dangerous, forcing people to believe in your way of thinking. We can see how this pans out in the world today.

Are you suggesting a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddist or a Jew that practices his or her religion peacefully, is not equal to a Catholic?

People should be free to practice their religion of course, however Catholicism is the majority religion so it's natural that it will be far more prominent, promoted and part of people's life's.
    Yeah, I'd surrender too if my anecdotes weren't working.

Didn't you claim to be a physicist? As one, you should know that anecdotes are one of the worst forms of "evidence" for your claim.

My anecdotes don't need to "work". I know what I see week in week out whether you believe it or not is irrelevant. As I've said before I'm basing it on a far bigger sample than my local church.

I've better things for doing (sleeping being one at the moment) that arguing on this thread hence why I said I will be stopping posting.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddist or a Jew that practices his or her religion peacefully, is not equal to a Catholic?
    People should be free to practice their religion of course, however Catholicism is the majority religion so it's natural that it will be far more prominent, promoted and part of people's life's.

Question not answered!

Advertisement