Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Yes it should, we are a catholic country and Catholicism should be promoted simple as that. Why do atheists think they can come along and have any right to change the way Catholicism is part of Ireland.

As a person born in Ireland and raised in Ireland I have every right to, even if I don't live there anymore, and if people want to promote church and state separation then that is their right. I get from your posting history that it's your way, and only your way is the correct way, and if nobody likes it tough. Whether you like it or not, people are free to not follow a religion, and are free to criticise religion. Ireland is supposed to be a Republic, it is time it acted like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

catallus wrote: »
    On an ecumenical level is there any reason at all to listen to those who are deaf to the voice of God in their hearts?

Depends on what you believe. You don't have to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Fcuk me. Such pompous cultural cringe. We've had reminders of child abuse, the laundries, scarcity of condoms the whole shebang. It's an effing one minute bell of reflection. Even as an agnostic here, I'm just rolling my eyes at the rabid wannabes falling over themselves to kill off something that is still quaint and nostalgic to a lot of people. It's only an innocent tradition. Oh I said 'tradition', must be like garlic to a vampire for some of the posters here.

Of course we've had the spokespeople of the downtrodden religious minorities who seem to give less of a steaming poo than those speaking on their behalf. Don't worry, no ones out to lynch non-catholics or heathen non-believers like me or you.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, it has had its day and has no place in the national broadcaster of what is supposed to be a secular state.

I think you might mean atheist state.

True secularism, means the state does not favour non belief over belief, or relgion over non religion.

I think theres room enough in Ireland for all of us, believer and non believer, religious and non religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I watched it this evening for the first time in a very long time and it reminded me of watching it with my grandparents. Ah I miss the good old days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Autosport wrote: »
    I watched it this evening for the first time in a very long time and it reminded me of watching it with my grandparents. Ah I miss the good old days :)

You bloody fascist !! Time for some court ordered diversity training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What's the story with the Angelus anyway? Are you supposed to pray when it comes on? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Cen taurus wrote: »
    I think you might mean atheist state.

True secularism, means the state does not favour non belief over belief, or relgion over non religion.

I think theres room enough in Ireland for all of us, believer and non believer, religious and non religious.
    He means secular. An atheist state might have a minute of people pissing on the bible, who knows; as you say a secular state does not favour non belief over belief or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I suppose if this crowd ever made it over as far as here, the Angelus would definitely go...

We should be a little more tolerant of two innocuous minutes per day on tv & radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

You bloody fascist !! Time for some court ordered diversity training.

I'll say a prayer for you actually make that a mass :D

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    We should be a little more tolerant of two innocuous minutes per day on tv & radio.
    No we shouldn't. Same way as I wouldn't be tolerant of a Muslim call to prayer being broadcast on RTE before the news. And most of the supporters here in favour of the angelus would feel the same way. As I said, Catholics are all for freedom of religion, so long as it is their religion that is the most free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I suppose if this crowd ever made it over as far as here, the Angelus would definitely go...

Comparing non-religious to a bunch of syco, anti-freedom killers? The only people trying to force their beliefs on others appears to be the Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Lia_lia wrote: »
    What's the story with the Angelus anyway? Are you supposed to pray when it comes on? :confused:

Its three set times a day that the faithful are supposed to stop what they are doing and recite specific prayers.

You know, like the Muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,129 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So what you're saying is that forcing one's religion on people is wrong when ISIS do it, but when catholicism does it it's grand.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

So what you're saying is that forcing one's religion on people is wrong when ISIS do it, but when catholicism does it it's grand.

As has already been pointed out, the Angelus is not forced on anyone. you have a remote control if you don't like it.

Eutow wrote: »
    Comparing non-religious to a bunch of syco, anti-freedom killers? The only people trying to force their beliefs on others appears to be the Catholics.
    That's the crucial part that they simply do not, and perhaps never will, understand. They make accusations of militant atheists and anti-Catholic brigade, when those people they accuse merely ask not to have religious beliefs or propaganda enforced on them through the state.

As has already been pointed out, the Angelus is not forced on anyone. you have a remote control if you don't like it.
    What about the majority of schools in this country? Should non-Catholic parents simply have to find alternatives, even though their taxes pay for the schools? The angelus is merely another example of church and state integration in a supposedly secular state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Isn't the fact that our courts and parliament are secular not enough, rather than wishing for some sort of nefarious social engineering type scenario where what is in the people's hearts is prey to the appetites of the benighted?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

I know a family who did not get their child baptized and as a result were a lower priority when applying to a school in Ireland. Its an absolute disgrace and all forms of religion (including the angelus rubbish) should be removed from the public sphere.

If you want to pray do it in your own time and privately, other people who don't believe don't want to see it nor have it interfere with public life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Isn't the fact that our courts and parliament are secular not enough, rather than wishing for some sort of nefarious social engineering type scenario where what is in the people's hearts is prey to the appetites of the benighted?

The same parliament that starts each day with a prayer? A secular education is far, far less nefarious than what the Catholic Church has inflicted upon this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The same parliament that starts each day with a prayer?

That the wise leaders of this country deem solemn recognition of their creator to be a fitting beginning to the day should give one pause for thought.

A secular education is far, far less nefarious than what the Catholic Church has inflicted upon this country.

Now now, I do begin to think that one protests too much. The education provided to this country by the Church surely can't be faulted; don't forget there are many out there who would have denied the ability to read to the faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Well it happens that the majority of people living in Ireland are Roman Catholic and that the main Irish channel is RTÉ 1. I am an atheist though so I think that if they do it for RC they should do it for other religions also. However knowing RTÉ that would never happen. I was listening to Mooney one day some years back and I remember a conversation on putting the national anthem in instead of the angelus.

Isn't the fact that our courts and parliament are secular not enough

They're not, the Dail and Seanad have prayers, judges must take religious oaths on appointment.

shane7218 wrote: »
    I know a family who did not get their child baptized and as a result were a lower priority when applying to a school in Ireland.

Our daughter, not being a member of any christian sect, was right at the bottom of the priority list in her school, luckily for us it wasn't full then. As there is no other non-catholic alternative in the area it's now turning away kids, our son was one step above the bottom of the list due to the sibling rule so he got in, but an unbaptised eldest child wouldn't get into that school now and would be forced into one of the several catholic schools.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

They're not, the Dail and Seanad have prayers, judges must take religious oaths on appointment.

Our daughter, not being a member of any christian sect, was right at the bottom of the priority list in her school, luckily for us it wasn't full then. As there is no other non-catholic alternative in the area it's now turning away kids, our son was one step above the bottom of the list due to the sibling rule so he got in, but an unbaptised eldest child wouldn't get into that school now and would be forced into one of the several catholic schools.

Its shocking that in this day and age this is accepted :mad:

It's still wrong that the state broadcaster is promoting a particular religion.

If the RCC tried to buy advertising on TV it would be banned under BAI rules, yet they get this primetime slot for free and it's 'tradition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Actually the cost of it is forced on the taxpayers and television license payers of Ireland. Now if only the RC paid for it that would be something else.

K4t wrote: »
    No we shouldn't. Same way as I wouldn't be tolerant of a Muslim call to prayer being broadcast on RTE before the news. And most of the supporters here in favour of the angelus would feel the same way. As I said, Catholics are all for freedom of religion, so long as it is their religion that is the most free.

I never said im in favour of freedom of religion, I'm in favour of Catholicism.
    Jamsiek wrote: »
    What about other religions? Should they be promoted too?
    Are all citizens and beliefs not supposed to be equal?

Other religions are wrong so they should not be promoted and they are not equal.
    K4t wrote: »
    What about the majority of schools in this country? Should non-Catholic parents simply have to find alternatives.

Yes.

Other religions are wrong so they should not be promoted and they are not equal.

Do you have proof they are wrong ? Or any evidence at all that your religion isn't completely fiction?

shane7218 wrote: »
    Do you have proof they are wrong ? Or any evidence at all that your religion isn't completely fiction?

If you need to ask that question you will never understand.

• Advertisement

We've had 90 years of that theocratic dogma imposed on us, and we don't want it any more and shouldn't have to put up with it any more. Freedom, don't make me laugh.

Well I say that all religions are wrong (there is no proof that any of them is right, and they all claim that all others are wrong, so the only logical conclusion is that ALL are wrong) - but that's not the point, and baseless assertions are not the point. There can never be consensus on religion, so the only equitable option is that no religion should be promoted by a state or government.

Advertisement