Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Of course it has a place in Ireland today, Ireland being a country where the majority of the population are catholic.
    You really don't get it, do you? If 99.999% of the Irish population was classified as Catholic, it still would not be right for the state to broadcast the Angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

K4t wrote: »
    Lol..Militant atheists would be campaigning for a minute of screen time showing Stephen Fry reading God Is Not Great or The God Delusion before the news. You really have no clue about the idea of freedom of religion or secularism. But hey, the angelus does no harm and it's a tradition, so let's not discuss it ever, and instead accuse anyone who thinks it should be removed as being part of some anti-catholic brigade or militant atheists!

What difference will it make ? absolutely none. It's just being pedantic that is all. It makes no sense in removing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I remember being in my Nanny and Granddad's house when I was younger and hearing this come on and just remembering how silent ye had to be.

It's more of a tradition at this stage so I believe it should be kept.

Then again I don't really care either way to be quite honest.

What difference will it make ? absolutely none. It's just being pedantic that is all. It makes no sense in removing it.
    Reasons for keeping it: It does no harm, it's tradition, Ireland is a catholic country.

Reasons for removing it: Freedom of religion, Secularism, Separation of Church and State.

Tell me again why it would be better to keep it when you consider the arguments for and against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

What's wrong with it ?. Militant atheists getting worked up over something trivial.

Trivial, until somebody decided to remove it?

I am sure that one of the posters that thanked your comment would not find it so trivial if it was removed.

• Advertisement

You really don't get it, do you? If 99.999% of the Irish population was classified as Catholic, it still would not be right for the state to broadcast the Angelus.

I do get your opinion, I just totally disagree with it and think the state tv channel should broadcast the angelus in a country where the population is mostly catholic and are happy to have it. If you don't like it, tough.

Tell me again why it would be better to keep it when you consider the arguments for and against it?

If you don't want separation of church and state and want the country to remain a catholic country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What I like about the Angelus is it's non-denominational. It's a time to reflect or pray and you can be Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh or Buddhist.

I do get your opinion, I just totally disagree with it and think the state tv channel should broadcast the angelus in a country where the population is mostly catholic and are happy to have it. If you don't like it, tough.
    If you don't want separation of church and state and want the country to remain a catholic country.
    Says it all really. You wouldn't mind Catholic doctrine dictating the laws of the country and public policy. Frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

So you don't want separation of church and state, would you like religious laws to be imposed on the people? Just asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Says it all really. You wouldn't mind Catholic doctrine dictating the laws of the country and public policy. Frightening.
    Jamsiek wrote: »
    So you don't want separation of church and state, would you like religious laws to be imposed on the people? Just asking

Grab the popcorn. You are about to witness views that make sharia law blush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

You know the weeks before the summer recess would be the perfect time to enact this… I can almost see their plan hatching.
    I'm not sure there's a bad time to enact it. But if you are familiar with the legislative process, it should be clear that the Government don't bring legislation to the Houses of Oireachtas without it having been inserted in the legislative agenda, without warning, or without a green paper, or without the heads of a bill, except for reasons of commercial sensitivity or grave national importance.

The claim that a bill is currently being drafted is not reliable or well-founded. I think you misheard Shane Coleman on George Hook's show reporting the words of Leo Varadkar reporting the words of of Frances FitzGerald.

FiztGerald said she said she would consider a change in the licencing laws when asked by the Vintners' Federation.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tourism-minister-rejects-call-to-allow-pubs-to-open-on-good-friday-661831.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

As a matter of interest, do you not want separation of church and state?

Do you understand what that would mean in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Zen65 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, do you not want separation of church and state?

Do you understand what that would mean in Ireland?

Ask him about his opinions on drink driving if you really want a laugh.

Jamsiek wrote: »

There can be a balance, I think things are fine as they are now.
    Ask him about his opinions on drink driving if you really want a laugh.

Let the bull sh*t bottom of the barrel comments begin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Of course it has a place in Ireland today, Ireland being a country where the majority of the population are catholic.

And yet engage in contraception, premarital sex and dont in many circumstances believe in central aspects of catholicism such as transubstantiation.
    Wonderful catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I remember being in my Nanny and Granddad's house when I was younger and hearing this come on and just remembering how silent ye had to be.

It's more of a tradition at this stage so I believe it should be kept.

Then again I don't really care either way to be quite honest.
    My Nanny always prayed during the Angelus. I think it was 'The angel of the lord appeared unto Mary and she conceived by the holy spirit'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

kylith wrote: »
    My Nanny always prayed during the Angelus. I think it was 'The angel of the lord appeared unto Mary and she conceived by the holy spirit'.

I don't remember my grandparents praying during it but if I darenth say a word I'd be shushed as quick as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The country is 84% catholic. The angelus brings great joy to many people. The only people who oppose it are generally angry militant atheists. The type of people who just enjoy being confrontational and awkward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The country is 84% catholic. The angelus brings great joy to many people. The only people who oppose it are generally angry militant atheists. The type of people who just enjoy being confrontational and awkward.

101% of cranky generalisations have been shown to be generally full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

What's a militant atheist?

Generally, the only people that oppose the abolishing of the angelus are generally angry, sex starved Catholics..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This is an offensive generalisation.

some of us aren't atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

A second Daniel!

Such reasoned mindfulness is just what we need!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Augmerson wrote: »
    What I like about the Angelus is it's non-denominational. It's a time to reflect or pray and you can be Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Sikh or Buddhist.

That is absolute BS. The Angelus is very much a Catholic tradition no matter how the try to dress it up with pictures of fisherman and so on. Listen lads its the principle of the thing, the state should not be promoting one religion over another in this day and age. Get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Well, you know what, if it wasn't for angry and confrontational people, we'd still be in the Ireland of 40 years ago, a stifling and oppressive place, especially if you were gay and/or a woman.

So I say thank you very much strident, angry and confrontational people of this land. We need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SpaceTime wrote: »
    No divorce from the foundation of the state until 1997 (date of first divorce granted).

This state actually went backwards after independence. Divorce was legal in the Free State as was contraception. Then Dev's gang of ring-kissers got in...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The fact AVB has a similar opinion to me shows the craziness of some posters on here.
    mg1982 wrote: »
    That is absolute BS. The Angelus is very much a Catholic tradition no matter how the try to dress it up with pictures of fisherman and so on. Listen lads its the principle of the thing, the state should not be promoting one religion over another in this day and age. Get rid of it.

Yes it should, we are a catholic country and Catholicism should be promoted simple as that. Why do atheists think they can come along and have any right to change the way Catholicism is part of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The fact AVB has a similar opinion to me shows the craziness of some posters on here.

Well, two of the posters, at any rate...

Can you explain what you mean by "Catholic country", bearing in mind that there are people of other/no religion in the country also? What exactly does "Catholic country" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Yeah, "some" posters.

Yes it should, we are a catholic country and Catholicism should be promoted simple as that. Why do atheists think they can come along and have any right to change the way Catholicism Is party of Ireland.

Sadly for you atheists also have rights and are equals. Irish people saying how they want things in their country shock horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

On an ecumenical level is there any reason at all to listen to those who are deaf to the voice of God in their hearts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

we are a catholic country and Catholicism should be promoted simple as that.
    What about other religions? Should they be promoted too?
    Are all citizens and beliefs not supposed to be equal?

Advertisement