Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When would you turn back and confront scumbags?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Ask yourself, what do they want?

They want a reaction from you, so don't give them one.

Not my experience. I've had a run in like the one I mentioned already in this thread and twice while I was living in London. All 3 times when I confronted the scumbags in an authoritative manner they backed down and appeared to look very foolish and flustered in front of their fwiends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Take the stick? No one gives a toss what some inbred deformed rat face crooked teeth scumbag thinks about anything. The crux of the matter is when they think they can physically abuse you as you walk passed. Do you confront them and put the worthless waste of space in their place or walk on getting abused and leaving them to think they can do whatever they want, each time escalating their antics because the normal people just take it like b*tches in their beady close set eyes.

I can handle myself but I'm not stupid enough to think I'd kick them all around.

Stick always happens before a reaction that leads to physicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Not my experience. I've had a run in like the one I mentioned already in this thread and twice while I was living in London. All 3 times when I confronted the scumbags in an authoritative manner they backed down and appeared to look very foolish and flustered in front of their fwiends.

You were lucky there Aero, you keep on thinking thats the way to deal with them, one day you'll be in an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

So, they got a reaction from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iron Man 2.0

The kids need their parents to discipline them. There's a reason they are what they are.

• Advertisement

So, they got a reaction from you.

Sure did, not what they were expecting nor hoping for. All they want is to look hard in front of their mates. Show that people are too afraid to confront them because they're a big hard man. They just end up embarrassed and looking like the fools they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Sure did, not what they were expecting nor hoping for. All they want is to look hard in front of their mates. Show that people are too afraid to confront them because they're a big hard man. They just end up embarrassed and looking like the fools they are.

You see thats exactly situation I found myself in, I posted a few pages back, I definitely would'nt have reacted if

(1) Little tosser didnt kick me in the b*lls
    (2) Had a skinful of drink inside me

I lashed out as I was kicked, damn right, I was'nt going to stand there and take it, I had to defend myself. Now I will admit in hindsight, especially the next morning upon reflection, it was'nt the best sitation to find myself in, as it could have ended up a lot worse. A lot of these s*umbags try to shape up as hard men, by been inolved in groups, one and one and I can guarantee its a different bet.

But as I mentioned in my earlier post, I learned that, try and not get seperated from your friends at the end of the night and if it does happen, get a taxi home,as ,sad to say, there will always be an element out there trying to ambush someone.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The kids need their parents to discipline them. There's a reason they are what they are.

Of you think scrote bag kids are scummy you should meet their parents.

Interesting thing about this thread and the usual thing you hear from people being harassed by scumbags is "oh if they were on their own" etc.

Thing is, what if people just target a stereotypical scumbag who is on his own. Like just give him a clatter across the back of the head or a kick up the hole and say stuff like "get a job" "take your hands out of your pants" If enough people started doing that anytime they see a mangey rat separated from the pack then in time we should be able to reclaim the streets for the ordinary decent hard working person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

It's surprising, the amount of psychopathic behaviour you encounter in Ireland over time. What isn't surprising is the certain 'community' a lot of the perpetrators are from, in my experiences at least. It's really best to avoid people who are blatantly looking for trouble, crazy how hastily some degenerates will take out a weapon or continue beating a person on the ground during an attack, even when it's a group of them. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to step in and try to help a person being attacked by a group, being honest I wish guns were legal here so if this was to occur I could just shoot them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Thing is, what if people just target a stereotypical scumbag who is on his own. Like just give him a clatter across the back of the head or a kick up the hole and say stuff like "get a job" "take your hands out of your pants" If enough people started doing that anytime they see a mangey rat separated from the pack then in time we should be able to reclaim the streets for the ordinary decent hard working person.

Ordinary decent hard-working people who assault someone they don't like the look of? Cuts both ways.
    being honest I wish guns were legal here so if this was to occur I could just shoot them all.

They'd have shot you first. Being violent psycopaths and all.

Ordinary decent hard-working people who assault someone they don't like the look of? Cuts both ways.

Yeah but ordinary decent people are superior. Will win outright. Ergo I'm taking the thread to its only logical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A couple of travellers kids of 12 or 14 years of age tried to mug the lads and I with a pair of pliers, we refused to acquiesce to their demands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

Anyone else fantasise about doing a Travis Bickle and killing scumbags?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

endacl wrote: »
    Could have done what you would have done anyway? Kept walking? Perhaps you shouldn't drink if it brings out aggression to the extent that you can't ignore a kid saying something to you? Especially, as you say, you were in 'no danger at all'?

If, of course, and as mentioned, it happened at all...

The kid deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ethical dilemma: Self preservation of the individual versus the safety of the wider sociological group.
    Every-time you are treated poorly/violently/abused by scumbags and its goes unchecked you have just increased their level of abuse for the next victim.

The police are not sufficiently resourced to deal with the rise of the scumbag.
    The courts are not sufficiently resourced due to prison space.
    Nobody is coming to save you and there is no such thing as Karma.

If the individual chooses to turn a blind eye, the logical conclusion to this is the continuation of the current increase in scumbag activity and we will all suffer.

Read this story - grown men attack a 72 year old woman - they started out hurling abuse at people as teenagers.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/national-news/three-brothers-held-in-custody-after-attack-on-great-grandmother/

If we want to stop this this in our society we are all responsible for taking action. Violence should never be the first port of call to resolve situations, but it would be naieve to exclude its from it rightful place as the last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

and what if everyone does that? What if he keeps walking and your granny is the next person to pass these scumsh*ts and they threaten her too?
    If that were to happen we'd be mid-zombie apocalypse. Couldn't fault the lad then.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Mallagio wrote: »
    Word to the wise, if you can get passed the mob and take the stick without snapping.... You win.

Many a person has been hospitalized for thinking they were Chuck Norris.

Many a person have been hospitalised thinking they were safe once they were passed the mob only to be sucker punched from behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

DeathWolf wrote: »
    So we all know of these little ***** that start throwing random rocks/branches/fireworks/whatever in any part of Dublin City Center. I've usually just ignored them and walked off, but sometimes I wonder, do people ever stand back to them? Does that turn bad? I have a couple times tried to confront them, but most time they just run away. Some do get more aggressive though.

These groups of 4-5 kids seriously need to get their ass kicked sometimes, as their parents don't do it.

If it were anywhere in the US, you'd find people carrying guns in their purse and it'd create deaths here and there. Elsewhere most people would carry pepper guns or monkey fists to fight back. But in Dublin I never see people fighting back and only hear horrible stories of people getting smashed, what's it behind that?
    Any stories you would share on that?

If not fighting, is there anything else that'll get them to leave you the hell alone?
    I think the best course of action is to inform the guards. Who will do nothing in a very professional manner. :)

"In 2007 Jeremy Clarkson was cleared of allegations of assaulting a hoodie while visiting central Milton Keynes after Thames Valley Police said that if anything, he had been the victim." - Wikipedia.

For anyone who thinks we shouldn't confront scummers when they start it, do what Clarksons do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

"In 2007 Jeremy Clarkson was cleared of allegations of assaulting a hoodie while visiting central Milton Keynes after Thames Valley Police said that if anything, he had been the victim." - Wikipedia.

For anyone who thinks we shouldn't confront scummers when they start it, do what Clarksons do.

Sure, tell that to the 2 Polish guys who got a screwdriver in the head. Keep the posing for the mirror in your gym ... not on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Who was it that stabbed those two polish guys?? Kids wasnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Who was it that stabbed those two polish guys?? Kids wasnt it

Yes it was, what's your point?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Yes it was, what's your point?

Um I didn't have one? I was just wondering if it was the same incident I was thinking of. Still goes to show, show no mercy if you're started on

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

daRobot wrote: »
    That's it exactly. End up on the ground, and you're in a critical situation.

While it might hurt your pride, it's better to walk away.

Completely agree..completely.

There are 3 options, in descending order

1. run
    2. talk
    3. fight

Hoping it won't get worse is never an option. If it gets to 3. it's weakeningly nauseating and hoping the kicks will stop or feigning unconsciousness will not help you.

Then it's either lie there and get kicked into a wheelchair or throw caution to the wind and tear into one like a savage...gouging, biting, tearing.

It's against your nature to fight against superior odds and I've vomitted blood in shock once or twice over the years after taking a thumping but taking a kick in the guts from one of your attackers while you're boxing the teeth off his mate on the ground is so much easier to recover from than when you're on the floor in a ball and they're wading into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Had one incident a few years back out on a student night, was in getting food after everywhere was closed and my girlfriend was infront of me in the que when some woman tried to jump infront, so I stood infront of her instead. All of a sudden she started mouthing off about how I was a "little cnut, who was too young to be out on a student night", (she was in her 40's atleast) and how she was gonna "break my legs outside", I just fobbed her off and told her to cop on, then I turned my head for a slight second and she tried to sucker punch me. So I grabbed her and ****ed her towards the door and sent her crawling out of the chipper, all while her lovely husband/boyfriend smiled and did nothing.

Another happened only last night at a gig in Dublin, people bump into eachother at gigs, its bound to happen but when someone is doing it really obnoxiously and repeatedly elbowing you and pushing you forward enough you end up sending other people forward, then its taking the piss. It was a calm enough gig aswell like. But I just pushed her away from me and got another push forward so I turned around to her and got "I'm just trying to have a good fúcking time" to which I replied "so I am" to be greeted with her manky middle finger right in my face, just told her to **** off and turned back, had I reacted any differently I know she would have swung for me and she would have got one straight back. Not worth getting kicked out of a gig I paid good money and ruining the night more than it already had been, but shít, it was hard not to.

Don't care what you are, man, woman, teenager, whatever, if you're big enough to hit someone, you're big enough to get one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Had one incident a few years back out on a student night, was in getting food after everywhere was closed and my girlfriend was infront of me in the que when some woman tried to jump infront, so I stood infront of her instead. All of a sudden she started mouthing off about how I was a "little cnut, who was too young to be out on a student night", (she was in her 40's atleast) and how she was gonna "break my legs outside", I just fobbed her off and told her to cop on, then I turned my head for a slight second and she tried to sucker punch me. So I grabbed her and ****ed her towards the door and sent her crawling out of the chipper, all while her lovely husband/boyfriend smiled and did nothing.

Another happened only last night at a gig in Dublin, people bump into eachother at gigs, its bound to happen but when someone is doing it really obnoxiously and repeatedly elbowing you and pushing you forward enough you end up sending other people forward, then its taking the piss. It was a calm enough gig aswell like. But I just pushed her away from me and got another push forward so I turned around to her and got "I'm just trying to have a good fúcking time" to which I replied "so I am" to be greeted with her manky middle finger right in my face, just told her to **** off and turned back, had I reacted any differently I know she would have swung for me and she would have got one straight back. Not worth getting kicked out of a gig I paid good money and ruining the night more than it already had been, but shít, it was hard not to.

Don't care what you are, man, woman, teenager, whatever, if you're big enough to hit someone, you're big enough to get one back.

ah jaysus, I draw the line at women no matter how obnoxious or scummy.

sweetie wrote: »
    ah jaysus, I draw the line at women no matter how obnoxious or scummy.

Why? My brothers ex girlfriend hit him in the face with a pint glass, broke his nose with a punch, gave him many black eyes, and knocked him down with her car when she thought he cheated on her, she slammed the boot closed down on his hand breaking all his bones in his hand, he ended up needing a bone graft.

After 2 years he hit her back. She went into the garda station, in hysterics, to press charges, guards took my brother in for a statement - he had drs reports from the glass incident, the car incidents, the broken nose, and the guard basically said she got what she deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Why? My brothers ex girlfriend hit him in the face with a pint glass, broke his nose with a punch, gave him many black eyes, and knocked him down with her car when she thought he cheated on her, she slammed the boot closed down on his hand breaking all his bones in his hand, he ended up needing a bone graft.

After 2 years he hit her back. She went into the garda station, in hysterics, to press charges, guards took my brother in for a statement - he had drs reports from the glass incident, the car incidents, the broken nose, and the guard basically said she got what she deserved.

have you got a more extreme example? :)

The guy described two once-off situations where he could have diffused them before they got physical but seemed to revel in giving the women their just desserts. I'm all for defending oneself when it comes to it but sometimes it's better to turn the other cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

sweetie wrote: »
    have you got a more extreme example? :)

The guy described two once-off situations where he could have diffused them before they got physical but seemed to revel in giving the women their just desserts. I'm all for defending oneself when it comes to it but sometimes it's better to turn the other cheek.

So who in society is responsible for the behaviour modification of the aggressor?

Advertisement