Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When would you turn back and confront scumbags?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Foxhound38 wrote: »

Needless to say I got my phone back, the scrote went scarpering after a stern telling off, and my good samaritan was given the price of a few pints for his troubles.

I'm reasonably sure that was my stepdad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

DarkJager wrote: »
    The last scumbag I encountered in this mindset was a jumped up little prick in a group who smartly told me to "keep walking if you know what's good for you" for no reason at all.

And walk on I did, after his little scumbag nose had practically exploded from the punch I threw him. His mates didn't even budge from the wall they were on, while he was screaming on the ground with blood everywhere. Very satisfying but he ruined a lovely white shirt I had on me with his filthy scumbag blood spatters :(

Have to wonder where the clear and present danger to yourself was in that situation? If it actually happened, of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

endacl wrote: »
    Have to wonder where the clear and present danger to yourself was in that situation? If it actually happened, of course...

No danger at all but I had drink taken and generally don't take kindly to provocation, especially some little rat faced **** telling me to "keep walking" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

He was clearly threathened. I wouldn't do it but it might help scare off the next guy.

No danger at all but I had drink taken and generally don't take kindly to provocation, especially some little rat faced **** telling me to "keep walking" ;)
    Could have done what you would have done anyway? Kept walking? Perhaps you shouldn't drink if it brings out aggression to the extent that you can't ignore a kid saying something to you? Especially, as you say, you were in 'no danger at all'?

If, of course, and as mentioned, it happened at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Could have done what you would have done anyway? Kept walking? Perhaps you shouldn't drink if it brings out aggression to the extent that you can't ignore a kid saying something to you? Especially, as you say, you were in 'no danger at all'?

If, of course, and as mentioned, it happened at all...

Well the thread title is "When would you turn back and confront scumbags?" so I assume that makes my answer - when I've been drinking and they start making smart comments intended to provoke a reaction.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    He didn't get jumped. One of them tripped him

It's not like he was on the ground struggling for his life.
    He was on his own 2 feet, and instead of running, or calling for help....or a swift kick to the balls......he bit someones face.
    There are serious issues with you if you think it's ok to bite someones face.

its gas, he has serious issue????. let me tell you biting his face may have put absolute fear in them, fear enough that they'll think twice. At least one will next time he has a wet shave!! he did whatever came natural to em, so tough. there was a crumlin man who lived with his mother all his life, a nice young guy but subject to ridicule by local scum because of where he was from. anyway he was coming home one night some years ago and same scum jumped him. they kicked him so hard, when the ambulance came, his face was "hanging off" from being stomped. He was unrecognisable by his own mother. he was in a coma for a year and then passed away from brain injury!!

I see every street confrontation ending the same way If I were involved. Biting someone's face to escape is the least I'd do!!! id try fists and anything else for fear of catching Hep C!!!!

Well the thread title is "When would you turn back and confront scumbags?" so I assume that makes my answer - when I've been drinking and they start making smart comments intended to provoke a reaction.

Yeah OK so. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If I had walked past the scumbag I'd keep on walking if it were just a verbal outburst or a very very minor physical coming together i.e. him purposely walking into my path to cause us to collide shoulders. I've had this happen before. I performed an ocular pat-down and came to the conclusion that the scumbag was up to no good. I was prepared for him and he bounched off the wall.

It would take a serious assault on me to turn back or at the very least an attack on my partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Could have done what you would have done anyway? Kept walking? Perhaps you shouldn't drink if it brings out aggression to the extent that you can't ignore a kid saying something to you? Especially, as you say, you were in 'no danger at all' .

Maybe that kid will think twice from harassing other people.....did the community a service there whether he was drinking or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Ah yeah, im just being a pr##k about the language to as there might be a bit of inciting going on in the thread. And chances are it usually is minors who are the most intimidating, I suppose id just urge to think twice and make sure they are overage (can you testify in court that you had concrete evidence that they weren't minors), otherwise Itd be a guard or prosecutor picking apart every little bit of your words... ya know the rest.

The judicial system is a joke in this country and it's the very last thing on my mind in such circumstances. Look what they did to poor Padraig Nally for example.

Could have done what you would have done anyway? Kept walking?

and what if everyone does that? What if he keeps walking and your granny is the next person to pass these scumsh*ts and they threaten her too? That all cool with you?

Nah, don't think so. It's good to see from this thread that there's quite a few decent people out there happy to put manners on these low lifes. Make them think twice about their scumbag behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I am annoyed seeing some people stick up for absolute scum.

If a 10 or 12 year old comes at me with a knife you would swear some would want you to sit down get stabbed and then ask is the scum bag ok all the while bleeding to death.

Irish laws are so so out dated the courts are a joke and judges who think they are god.

The world has become a seriously dangerous place.

The world has become a seriously dangerous place.

It really hasn't. In general terms, it's never been safer. In specific terms, you just read about it more. Take this thread, for example.

It really hasn't. In general terms, it's never been safer. In specific terms, you just read about it more. Take this thread, for example.

outside of this thread you're right actually. I saw a book in hodges in figs by some really famous Australian writer who shows how that's a fact.
    unfortunately good news makes for bad press sales. but yes apparently even with all that middle east crack etc, it's safer, mad eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I've been hassled by a group of kids on the luas. Little scumbags pushing up against me, deliberately standing on my feet, pushing into me and knocking me back, laughing and makimg very inappropriate remarks. They were about 14, 4 of them. One of me, 26.

Had one of them laid a hand on me, Id have had no problem punching him in the face, minor or not.

Fair enough, once you know what the upshot of a conviction is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Fair enough, once you know what the upshot of a conviction is.

Self defence is self defence. Being made feel threathened and unsafe is the same no matter how old someone is. They're in a group, I'm by myself. You can be sure, if they're manhandling me, they'll be punched in the face - and I'll be the one pressing charges/calling the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mint Aero wrote: »
    The judicial system is a joke in this country and it's the very last thing on my mind in such circumstances. Look what they did to poor Padraig Nally for example.

As I said the assault of a minor is a different thing.... fair enough in your case they MIGHT have been teenagers that were 19... but look at the way the thread has gone again... some guy thinks he's in the right to punch a 14 year old in the face because someone 'lays a hand on him first'.
    He thinks the 'first to engage' defence also applies equally with minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Depends how many there are. Year ago was walking down moore street in the evening when 8-10 lad start throwing old fruit at myself and a friend. he just made a quick exit. If it had been just one he would have had it shoved down his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

As I said the assault of a minor is a different thing.... fair enough in your case they MIGHT have been teenagers that were 19... but look at the way the thread has gone again... some guy thinks he's in the right to punch a 14 year old in the face because someone 'lays a hand on him first'.
    He thinks the 'first to engage' defence also applies equally with minors.

Can you cite a case or legal ruling that shows it doesn't? There is to my knowledge no magic cutoff point where if someone attacks you that you can defend yourself if they are 16, but you're going to jail if they are 15.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Parked in an industrial estate in Dublin yesterday I witnessed an oldish guy park his van and go into the business beside the one I was parked in,he was only in the doors when a car with three little scrotes pulled up and one of them jumped in the front of his van and took his jacket,as they were taking off I pulled my van across the road effectively blocking them,naturally as rats do they abandoned ship.

Parked in an industrial estate in Dublin yesterday I witnessed an oldish guy park his van and go into the business beside the one I was parked in,he was only in the doors when a car with three little scrotes pulled up and one of them jumped in the front of his van and took his jacket,as they were taking off I pulled my van across the road effectively blocking them,naturally as rats do they abandoned ship.

ya see that's different I think most will agree here. we're talking about say if someone is in real danger etc. you intervened for a jacket and got very lucky. anyone who does that, certainly has a record and one more strike will put them in jail for a few months perhaps. now if it's between prison and getting away through someone like you, then best believe you're on the receiving end of a large knife, hammer or worse!!! for a jacket??.

yes your hearts in the right place no one disputes that but c'mon you were very lucky there to be honest, you picked your battle well in that case.
    had they been travellers up to no good you'd surely have been left hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

The problem is that scum have nothing to fear so they act as they do, if they thought that they would face long sentences in a harsh prison then they would cop on, if they get arrested and charged then its off to court with a legal aid solicitor and a suspended sentence. Again nothing to fear and no concept of shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

rusty cole wrote: »
    ya see that's different I think most will agree here. we're talking about say if someone is in real danger etc. you intervened for a jacket and got very lucky. anyone who does that, certainly has a record and one more strike will put them in jail for a few months perhaps. now if it's between prison and getting away through someone like you, then best believe you're on the receiving end of a large knife, hammer or worse!!! for a jacket??.

yes your hearts in the right place no one disputes that but c'mon you were very lucky there to be honest, you picked your battle well in that case.
    had they been travellers up to no good you'd surely have been left hurt.

Tbh I didn't even think,I was just about to leave anyways and locked the doors of my van, I actually couldn't get over how blatant these lads were!turns out the old guy had everything in that jacket a wallet with about 300 euro in it,phone,house keys.the likes of these scumbags just rob a car for the day and go off on a bit of a crime spree.

like I said, very honourable and nice thing to do for a complete stranger but in these times you really are taking your life into your own hands. I'd think twice about it next time that's all. If you've partner and kids especially. If you have to intervene in anything like that at all, it really should be to save someone, otherwise i'd leave it. people have been stabbed for a lot less.

you're a good guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I used to be perfectly comfortable turning around to confront scumbags. Now I wouldn't dream of it. I'd be scared of getting stabbed for looking crooked at someone. I definitely feel like it's far more dangerous than it was 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Word to the wise, if you can get passed the mob and take the stick without snapping.... You win.

Many a person has been hospitalized for thinking they were Chuck Norris.

Mallagio wrote: »
    Word to the wise, if you can get passed the mob and take the stick without snapping.... You win.

Many a person has been hospitalized for thinking they were Chuck Norris.

Take the stick? No one gives a toss what some inbred deformed rat face crooked teeth scumbag thinks about anything. The crux of the matter is when they think they can physically abuse you as you walk passed. Do you confront them and put the worthless waste of space in their place or walk on getting abused and leaving them to think they can do whatever they want, each time escalating their antics because the normal people just take it like b*tches in their beady close set eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Ask yourself, what do they want?

They want a reaction from you, so don't give them one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Or, they think like bullies. Prey on someone smaller/weaker.

Advertisement