Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When would you turn back and confront scumbags?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Have confronted in the past but usually spur of the moment and in anger. I clattered some late teens lad (the same height and build as me incidentally) a few years back that lipped and threatened me outside my own gaff but regretted it afterwards.

In general it's a bad idea I think. If they're only mouthing off, just walk away tbh. You can end up getting a hiding when it's a gang of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

SeantheMan wrote: »
    He was on his own 2 feet, and instead of running, or calling for help....or a swift kick to the balls......he bit someones face.

You clearly ingnored this bit "I had 2 choices - run & be caught or stay & take my chances."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    He could have pinned the lad to the ground. He could have done anything. Anything except 'bite his nose'???

Pulled down his pants and bummed him perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    As I said before, assault of a minor by an adult is a serious thing... just walk away.

So where do you stand on assault of an adult by a minor?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Adults assaulting minors:you need context here. If a big strapping teenager hits an adult, why shouldn't they defend themselves?

If you're big enough to dish it out, you're big enough to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I have been threatened with knives the use of knives and syringes.

Luckily not a gun apart from been told I would be shot years ago.

About 2 years ago in a guy say between 13 to 15 had hand in pocket and for no reason said would knife me. Suppose its expected at times in the job I do. And yes he did have a blade I told him to step one more step closer to me but he declined.
    I had nowhere to run as I was in a corner waiting for a lift and during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Sooo you're saying you are more of a real man by being prepared to fight with underage kids??? (compared to the TEENAGERS who knew better to walk away!!!).

Wow I bet you hope you got those girls' phone numbers too as you have a real way with impressing TEENAGERS!

As I said before, assault of a minor by an adult is a serious thing... just walk away. Those teenagers who kept walking had more sense than yourself.

Don;t forget about the Drimnagh case mentioned earlier where the girls ran into the pub and told the youngfella off his head that someone was threatening his dad. What if you're lovely girls had gone to tell their da's that someone was threatning their kids!!! The gymming wont save you then.

Apt category mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd love to turn round and give them a hiding. But I'm also a massive coward, so I therefore just leg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

anncoates wrote: »
    Adults assaulting minors:you need context here. If a big strapping teenager hits an adult, why shouldn't they defend themselves?

If you're big enough to dish it out, you're big enough to get it back.

+1

If a 16 year old hits an adult and (quite rightly) gets a hiding in return I see no issue with it

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

DeathWolf wrote: »
    So we all know of these little ***** that start throwing random rocks/branches/fireworks/whatever in any part of Dublin City Center. I've usually just ignored them and walked off, but sometimes I wonder, do people ever stand back to them? Does that turn bad? I have a couple times tried to confront them, but most time they just run away. Some do get more aggressive though.

These groups of 4-5 kids seriously need to get their ass kicked sometimes, as their parents don't do it.

If it were anywhere in the US, you'd find people carrying guns in their purse and it'd create deaths here and there. Elsewhere most people would carry pepper guns or monkey fists to fight back. But in Dublin I never see people fighting back and only hear horrible stories of people getting smashed, what's it behind that?
    Any stories you would share on that?

If not fighting, is there anything else that'll get them to leave you the hell alone?

They never carry blades. I cracked one of them straight in the mouth after an altercation near Christchurch Cathedral one time....it ended straight away. On another occasion I got lamped in the mouth so quickly my head spun and with my back to a wall and 4 or 5 of the little rats along with their feral girlfriends I backed down and got the fcuk away. I knew that I was going to lose that fight and if I went to ground they'd kick me until I was either dead or in a wheelchair.

Bottom line ... be fit and confident. But also careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Nothing minor about a 19 yr old :rolleyes:

ok apologies it wasnt obvious you asked for ID first.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    So where do you stand on assault of an adult by a minor?

:rolleyes:

Because a minor might assault an adult therefore the justification/punishment for an adult assaulting a minor is the same?? ... Good luck with that defence in court fella.

corollory argument fallacy + rolleyes = fail

rolleyes city here.. it must mean they are highly qualified or something.

ok apologies it wasnt obvious you asked for ID first.

Are you actually a teacher or lecturer in real life?! :confused: God help your class with your logic.

All I said was teenager, that goes right up to the day before someones 20th birthday. You do know that right? That's a really basic word that a "teacher" should know.

You made the ignorant assumption that they were minors.

Because a minor might assault an adult therefore the justification/punishment for an adult assaulting a minor is the same?? ... Good luck with that defence in court fella.

corollory argument fallacy + rolleyes = fail

Are you trolling? So if an adult on their own gets into an altercation with multiple "minors" who are all approaching 6 foot in height, he has no right to defend himself with force if necessary. Get a grip.

All I did was use my voice in an authoritative manner to put the scrote in his place. It was up to the three of them from there whether they wanted to get violent or not. I was well prepared to defend myself with my fists if they threw the first punch. Not to mention something was already thrown at my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Scummers looking for fights don't have much to lose, while normal people do. That's really the difference.

Lads that are obviously looking for fights are the ones to avoid, they're more likely to be carrying blades or other weapons.

I remember one incident that I think back on and smile. I was in the reserve defence forces a couple of years ago and was walking to a bus stop with about 4 other guys from my unit. We were all decked out in our uniforms. We saw this one guy getting attacked at the bus stop, my mates screamed at the attacker and the 5 of us ran at him full speed. The look of horror in the scummer's face was priceless. I've never seen anyone run so fast before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

A few years back a group of girls in England from the ages 14 - 16 attacked some old boy at a bus stop, I remember it made the news.
    So other guy tried to stop it but the mob decended on him, I remember there was cc footage of the whole thing.

Cannot remember now but either the old boy or the guy trying to help died.
    The group was fairly large maybe 6 to 8 of them.

Just to point self-defence is self-defence whether it be a an adult or a minor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My bro is a big guy, not fat at all but pure muscle. Wouldnt knock him too easy. His best friend is irish but his parents are from Pakistan so he's got dark skin. They're out this night anyway and this group of scumbags start on his friend, calling him really vile things.

Anyway, a fight breaks out, my brother and his friend and 6 of the other guys. One of the others left the fight and came back a few minutes later with a bottle, which he broke and stabbed my brother with.

The scumbags girlfriend beat the head off him with a stiletto, my brothers lying on the street unconcious while the heads been kicked off him. His friend ran off, he was going to run back to his car (parked just over the bridge as he doesn't drink) and get the wheel brace but he rang the guards because he didn't think my brother would last that long, by the time he got it and got back.

Anyway, guards came, ambulance came, I was called. Turns out he had a fractured skull.

That was all grand, guards didn't seem that interested in it at all. My brother and the same friend was out the saturday before Christmas, met the guy who instigated it all, and beat the living daylights out of him. He was writing to my brother the following day saying "there was no need for it" that it "wasn't a fair fight", that he was only out to enjoy himself, wasn't looking for trouble, some veiled threats about calling out to the house, that he never followed through on.

Not too long ago, brother ran into him in some pub one night and he high tailed it out of there like a mangey little rat.

Tl;Dr
    Only brave with weapons and minions

That was all grand, guards didn't seem that interested in it at all.

Why? Are they so used to being called out to fights they just don't care?

dutopia wrote: »
    Why? Are they so used to being called out to fights they just don't care?

Don't know to be honest, the night it happened they took the guys names and then told them to go home. My brother unconcious with a fractured skull and they weren't even arrested.

They didn't check the cctv. They "spoke" to two taxi drivers who saw the fight. I rang them the following night and they said they'd have to wait to take my brothers statement. A week later no word, I went into the station, and the guard basically said my brother was a big boy and it was none of my business. My brothers the only family I have in the whole world and when his skull is fractured, it is my business. They took his number and rang him to go into the garda station. He went in to make a statement, and they arrested him for not paying an outstanding fine when he was in the garda station

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bullies need to be stood up to. Otherwise they prey on weakness and indecisiveness of normal people. If more people stood up to them and were able to handle themselves then this would not be such a big issue.

Are you actually a teacher or lecturer in real life?! :confused: God help your class with your logic.

All I said was teenager, that goes right up to the day before someones 20th birthday. You do know that right? That's a really basic word that a "teacher" should know.

You made the ignorant assumption that they were minors.

oh apologies, you didn't mention that because teenager goes up to 19 therefore all of your kids who ran away MUST be 19.

How did you know they were 19 anyway?

oh apologies, you didn't mention that because teenager goes up to 19 therefore all of your kids who ran away MUST be 19.

How did you know they were 19 anyway?

They weren't but I never said which way anyway. You're the one that seems to think it matters. They were the same height as me and one was taller than me and I was outnumbered. That's all that matters really.

As for age? No idea, I don't talk to young people/work with young people at all. So I wouldn't have a clue. I went for few pints after and there were lads in the pub skulling pints that looked younger them.

All in all, they could take slap if they wanted one. They certainly deserved it.

They weren't but I never said which way anyway. You're the one that seems to think it matters. They were the same height as me and one was taller than me and I was outnumbered. That's all that matters really.

As for age? No idea, I don't talk to young people/work with young people at all. So I wouldn't have a clue. I went for few pints after and there were lads in the pub skulling pints that looked younger them.

All in all, they could take slap if they wanted one. They certainly deserved it.

ok I'm just following your line of argument... (1.}they are probably 19 because you saw teenagers in a pub afterwards that looked younger!
    (2.) initially in your first story you used tge word 'little' a few times... but now later on you have felt the need to highlight their height as being 'nearly 6ft' and on a par with yours.

At the end of the day I empathise and might bang heads myself but If they turned out to be minors then id never work again in my field. I know full well that tapping a minor on the shoulder can end up being painted as assault in a court.
    Id just urge caution as ive read a couple of stories here of people being denied working with kids because of an 'innocent' altercation' with 'little scrotes' in the past.

ok I'm just following your line of argument... (1.}they are probably 19 because you saw teenagers in a pub afterwards that looked younger!
    (2.) initially in your first story you used tge word 'little' a few times... but now later on you have felt the need to highlight their height as being 'nearly 6ft' and on a par with yours.

At the end of the day I empathise and might bang heads myself but If they turned out to be minors then id never work again in my field. I know full well that tapping a minor on the shoulder can end up being painted as assault in a court.
    Id just urge caution as ive read a couple of stories here of people being denied working with kids because of an 'innocent' altercation' with 'little scrotes' in the past.

I was using the the word little as a derogatory term to belittle him in case he happened to read this :D

Don't know to be honest, the night it happened they took the guys names and then told them to go home. My brother unconcious with a fractured skull and they weren't even arrested.

They didn't check the cctv. They "spoke" to two taxi drivers who saw the fight. I rang them the following night and they said they'd have to wait to take my brothers statement. A week later no word, I went into the station, and the guard basically said my brother was a big boy and it was none of my business. My brothers the only family I have in the whole world and when his skull is fractured, it is my business. They took his number and rang him to go into the garda station. He went in to make a statement, and they arrested him for not paying an outstanding fine when he was in the garda station

What?! Crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Speaking of Gardai inaction. I was working a till one night in a shop, only employee at the tills. I was serving these 2 men and 2 other men came over and one asked them for a cig, they gave him a cig and for some reason the men who approached shouted something like "YOU SHOULD KNOW ME!!" and they went at them like animals. Picking up heavy objects and lashing them out of it with them. I don't mind telling you I was ****ting it. The 2 original lads ran away and a security guard came down, he was black. So the attackers go straight at them, screaming racist abuse at him etc. Must have went on about 15 mins, eventually one of them goes for the security guard and got put on his arse. Security guard dragged them both to the front door and a customer comes up to me, by coincidence he was also black. So I told him as I served him, be careful on his way out, maybe he'd be better off waiting until they'd gone. He'd bought calpol so said he had to get back to his baby, so I walk out with him and they attack him but the security guard stopped them and held them both down.

The garda came and took them across the road. The security and I were watching on the CCTV, garda spoke to them for about 2 minutes and let them walk off up the road! They'd assaulted 4 people with no provocation! I wonder who else had the misfortune to happen upon them that night. I couldn't believe it, I thought they'd be looking at charge sheets at the least.

I was using the the word little as a derogatory term to belittle him in case he happened to read this :D

Ah yeah, im just being a pr##k about the language to as there might be a bit of inciting going on in the thread. And chances are it usually is minors who are the most intimidating, I suppose id just urge to think twice and make sure they are overage (can you testify in court that you had concrete evidence that they weren't minors), otherwise Itd be a guard or prosecutor picking apart every little bit of your words... ya know the rest.

I've been hassled by a group of kids on the luas. Little scumbags pushing up against me, deliberately standing on my feet, pushing into me and knocking me back, laughing and makimg very inappropriate remarks. They were about 14, 4 of them. One of me, 26.

Had one of them laid a hand on me, Id have had no problem punching him in the face, minor or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The last scumbag I encountered in this mindset was a jumped up little prick in a group who smartly told me to "keep walking if you know what's good for you" for no reason at all.

And walk on I did, after his little scumbag nose had practically exploded from the punch I threw him. His mates didn't even budge from the wall they were on, while he was screaming on the ground with blood everywhere. Very satisfying but he ruined a lovely white shirt I had on me with his filthy scumbag blood spatters :(

Advertisement