Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,890 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What did the person in the car have to say for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

RainyDay wrote: »
    Ouch, hope the drugs are working for you today. Just curious - did the guy pull out from the kerb or cross a junction or what? It's not clear who was to blame for the incident.

The driver was heading up the hill in Howth village and I was coming down. She indicated to turn right at a junction and I slowed. She then stopped and I went to go ahead. Just before I got to the junction she moved forward and I hit the front corner of the car and came off. Don't want to get into too much detail here as I don't know yet where this is going (see "Garda prosecution of driver" thread).
    Thargor wrote: »
    What did the person in the car have to say for themselves?

In a phone conversation today she said she was blinded by the sun and didn't see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

In a phone conversation today she said she was blinded by the sun and didn't see me.

I suppose they have to say something, but this line is grimly fascinating. It's the equivalent of "I stopped when I saw you coming, but then the sun blinded me, and I couldn't see anything. It was at this point I decided to go for it."

We all know that the only thing that can blot out the power of the sun is a loose fitting fluorescent jacket... And suddenly we're heading towards that other thread (think I'l stop here).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

L - sorry to hear that. Didn't see your original post until now. Weird feeling alright being strapped into a spinal board. Experienced it once after T-boning a right turning motorist who then left the scene. (She returned about 20 mins later - she panicked initially). Get well soon - you'll be very sore for a while.

(JW will be expecting a sick note on Thurs morning! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This morning in the phoenix park here: https://goo.gl/maps/GEZAEv168Ky

Road was like an ice rink.

Man on motorbike had gone right over his solid white line up to the edge of the dashed bicycle lane lines.

I'd seen him from well back on the bike lane. I've had 2 falls on ice before and was feeling a heightened need to keep an eye out. I thought he looked to be a dangerous cos he was right at the line but he seemed to be looking around. He didn't move and looked to his left.

I figured, I was safe. Suddenly without looking back he pulls out and looks at the same time. I couldn't brake on the ice. I couldnt keep going straight. Some kind of quick thinking had me lean to fall on my arse and slide on the ice to avoid him.

"I didn't see ya".

Anyway, will probably be EVEN more paranoid on ice now. My rules will probably be to pick more caution in similar situations.

He might not have looked but I definitely could been more cautious. It's kinda a lesson that's always been there over many many years now. Safety first, then rules/laws etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's been a while but had a spill around 10.40am this morning on Parnell Street (Dublin). A girl ran between two buses and T-boned me just as I passed. She was being pursued by a man. I thought initially she had pick-pocked him and he was giving chase but, on reflection, it may have been drug related. No injuries as such as it was low speed but her head connected with my right cheek. She had a lit cigarette in her mouth - not ideal when you're doing a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

It's been a while but had a spill around 10.40am this morning on Parnell Street (Dublin). A girl ran between two buses and T-boned me just as I passed. She was being pursued by a man. I thought initially she had pick-pocked him and he was giving chase but, on reflection, it may have been drug related. No injuries as such as it was low speed but her head connected with my right cheek. She had a lit cigarette in her mouth - not ideal when you're doing a runner.

Your lucky she didn't pickpocket you by the sounds of it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Had a good spin today but took a spill near the end when i hit a sloppy spot, hit that hard i broke a root about 3 inches thick so thank fook for the full face lid! My shin got a bad cut from the studs on the peddles and the knee is swelling up from the bang but all good and a great day

Screenshot_2016-03-05-12-59-31_zpshucemjgf.png
    20160305_133812_zpsvi4codz6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Had a spill the other night, back wheel locked up on downhill, speed wobble, decided ditch was softer than road, fortunately no injuries bar some road rash on my ass which i only discover when i got home.....bike was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Thud wrote: »
    Had a spill the other night, back wheel locked up on downhill, speed wobble, decided ditch was softer than road, fortunately no injuries bar some road rash on my ass which i only discover when i got home.....bike was ok

Pic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Bought a bike two weeks ago on the cycle to work scheme. I'd be reasonably fit , so I was motoring along a couple of days ago. Got too cocky, smacked the side of a curb somehow (going downhill no less) and went flying over the handlebars on a very busy road. Whatever way I hit the curb, the bike fell down on top of me.

Cut my knee in pieces and covered my legs in black bruises. Course I got up and went into work and never said a thing about it. Mortified!

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Pic?

Can see it on ipad and pc but not on phone..not sure whats up.
    Its just strava image on speed going from 59kmh to zero and heart rate taking a jump whan crash happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Can see it on ipad and pc but not on phone..not sure whats up.
    Its just strava image on speed going from 59kmh to zero and heart rate taking a jump whan crash happened

That's not what I meant ;):D

Ha ha wouldnt inflict that on you... looks like i sat on a grater

Took a big spill onto my shoulder yesterday in bike park Ireland, went to vhi swiftcare this morning and iv dislocated my ac joint :( thats me done for a few weeks minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dazguy2000

Took a spill last week at a TT. Purely my own fault, didn't know the course and there were no marshals (nor should there be) at an S bend at the bottom of a hill. Turns out the first turn of the S was quite sharp and road conditions were very wet. Add the two together and I came down hard.

Concussion resulted in trip to the hospital but all bones and body parts still together. New skin suit and helmet required but all in all I am very lucky. Frustrating when its you own fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

On my way home yesterday and a pedestrian stepped off path onto cycle lane. She was oblivious, walking along with two guys and decided the path wasn't wide enough for three abreast.

I dropped on to road to avoid her, then went over the handlebars. no serious injury, though my knee is not comfortable as I type, with my suit trousers rubbing off the grazes. looking forward to changing into shorts for heading home and letting the air at the knee rather than wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭1Anon

1k from home on my first spin on my brand new bike this evening and wallop! Hit a pot hole then the ditch where the County Council had conveniently abandoned a broken hydrant marker. Both my shin and left ultegra shifter hit the concrete leaving both fairly damaged. Thankfully I seem to be just cut and bruised but it's a new shifter for the bike. Not happy about it but it could have been a lot worse. First fall since I got my first road bike 5 years ago, just unfortunate it was on my lovely new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Managed to squeeze in a damp 37k this morning on an extended commute. As I got to the bottom of the car park ramp in work to take a sharp turn right, the bike just went from under me in slow motion and I somehow ended up lying on the ground facing back the way I had come. This happened exactly 3 metres from the door where I have to dismount. :(

Bike is pretty much ok but one of my Galibier overshoes ripped. Grrrrr.

I fell evenly on my right side so the fall was well absorbed however I managed to bash the inside of my right knee in the process (no idea how or off what). The pain has gotten steadily worse all day to the point where I can barely walk now. Fcuk.

Worst part is there are cameras everywhere in that area and it happened in front of one of the security guys. I may have also been warned on more than one occasion about cycling down the vehicle ramp so I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it...........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

Bike versus car in Terenure this evening. I was going fairly briskly (35-40km) along bike lane passing a lot of slowed cars in rush hour traffic. I do the same on a lot of Tuesday's trying to catch my club spin.
    Car coming from other side of road turning left into side road came into view too late for me to stop.
    I managed to slow and swerve to avoid car but had no chance of avoiding car slowly edging out of same side road to join main road.
    Lost some skin and a bit sore but thankfully no broken bones and didn't hit my head. Bike seems to have survived but I will get it checked by my LBS tomorrow.
    Neither vehicle was doing anything reckless and I suppose I shouldn't have been going so fast in a built up area.
    Reassuringly all drivers involved and some not involved didn't leave until I told them I was fine. The left turning driver offered me a lift and only left the scene when I insisted I was ok.
    Stay safe out there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Doc07 wrote: »
    Neither vehicle was doing anything reckless and I suppose I shouldn't have been going so fast in a built up area.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're being too generous here. If a driver cut across in front of you to turn to his right (your left) without checking for cyclists, he was being fairly reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're being too generous here. If a driver cut across in front of you to turn to his right (your left) without checking for cyclists, he was being fairly reckless.

I think the adrenaline was still in full flow when I posted last night.
    24 hours later with a sore backside and elbow I'm more inclined to agree with you.
    Being pragmatic though, I think a gap formed in the cars on my side to allow him make a right turn. Ultimately he has to check for cyclists/peds but he was likely unsighted as I drive that stretch of road a lot as well as cycle it.

It was a cacophony of errors.
    1:The car on my side(with flow) stopped to allow a car make a right turn without checking wing mirror( making an assumption here)
    2: The car ( contra flow) started making the right turn onto the side road without seeing me.
    3: The car coming out from the side road ( this is the car I ultimately collided with) made his move when he saw the contra flow car make the right turn.

I could have avoided either car on their own, it was the combination that did the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

I came off yrsterday; was out on a training spin, weather was grand when I left but d heaven's opened up 10km in.
    was going into a small roundabout a bit to hard and hit d breaks and as I done it hit a man hole bike went from under me but was able to get my foot out of d clips and jumped with d right foot still in d pedal and jumped over d foot path on to grass which broke my fall. was lucky , lesson learnt

Doc07 wrote: »
    I think the adrenaline was still in full flow when I posted last night.
    24 hours later with a sore backside and elbow I'm more inclined to agree with you.
    Being pragmatic though, I think a gap formed in the cars on my side to allow him make a right turn. Ultimately he has to check for cyclists/peds but he was likely unsighted as I drive that stretch of road a lot as well as cycle it.

It was a cacophony of errors.
    1:The car on my side(with flow) stopped to allow a car make a right turn without checking wing mirror( making an assumption here)
    2: The car ( contra flow) started making the right turn onto the side road without seeing me.
    3: The car coming out from the side road ( this is the car I ultimately collided with) made his move when he saw the contra flow car make the right turn.

I could have avoided either car on their own, it was the combination that did the damage.
    I'd blame 2 and 3, but funny how these things are often down to two issues at the same time rather than just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

2 and 3 were the blame, but I agree with the OP in that he was travelling too fast.

As a cyclist who commutes in built up areas I feel I have a responsibility to your own safety. That route is on my way home every day, to my wife and kids. There's no point in me being in the right and in a vegetative state for the rest of my life.

So I take it fairly easy on any stretch like that, I sit up high so I can see, looking out for pedestrians/cars etc that might cross in front. And I brake first and hard when I see stuff happening that could impact on my safety.

2 and 3 were the blame, but I agree with the OP in that he was travelling too fast.

What speed would you expect a motorbike to go when filtering inside car traffic on that stretch?

To generous? He was doing 35-40k passed traffic coming to a junction! Its his fault as much as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What speed would you expect a motorbike to go when filtering inside car traffic on that stretch?

I'm not sure I understand the question, by "filtering" do you mean going on the left of cars going in the same direction? Like in the bicycle lane? I don't like seeing motorbikes filtering, especially on narrow roads, it's very dangerous. I'm thinking specifically of the west end of the road from Rathgar to Terenure....I'm not sure motorbikes are entitled to "filter" like that, are they?

I'm not sure I understand the question, by "filtering" do you mean going on the left of cars going in the same direction? Like in the bicycle lane? I don't like seeing motorbikes filtering, especially on narrow roads, it's very dangerous. I'm thinking specifically of the west end of the road from Rathgar to Terenure....I'm not sure motorbikes are entitled to "filter" like that, are they?
    Just as oncoming cars are not entitled to cut across a road without checking for cyclists - but sometimes they do. So what speed would you expect them to be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Today! Normally on the touring bike with flat pedals when commuting but today took the ol Wilier out for a spin before work and into work. On the way home, I was on the cycle path in Drumcondra, when I came to stop for a car to cross (though I think it may be right of way for pedestrians, possibly cyclists too). Car stopped to let me, so I start moving, car changed its mind I unclip right foot but go to lean left out of habit.

Twas all very comical and some people were very nice about it, just glad it wasn't the new bike!

Advertisement