Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Firat spin out out on the mountain bike this morning, serious craic! Was flying until i came to a rock with a 3 ft drop off into a dip and a bridge built off thw dip side. Missed the bridge and nearly cleared the dip but the front wheel hit a root and sent me over the bars, busted my shin off the bike and left arm is dead after landing on a stump but im hooked now and cant wait to get back out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Scaphoid ligament or bone?.. I only ask as I've done my scaphoid bone in a motorbike accident and know how nasty an injury, and surgery it is.

Ligament which is why it didn't show up in X-Rays at the time. It holds two other bones (scaphoid?) together and will eventually show up in an X-ray when they start to move apart. The MRI was more conclusive and the surgery wasn't too bad. I must have put my hands out on landing before flipping over on to my back. Common enough according to the staff in the Mater A&E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ligament which is why it didn't show up in X-Rays at the time. It holds two other bones (scaphoid?) together and will eventually show up in an X-ray when they start to move apart. The MRI was more conclusive and the surgery wasn't too bad. I must have put my hands out on landing before flipping over on to my back. Common enough according to the staff in the Mater A&E.

Cool. The fracture doesn't show up on the scaphoid for some time too.

Mine was fractured when I was knocked down by a cyclist on Aisling Quay, the little fooker also fracture both my elbows and put me out of work for eleven months :mad:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mine was fractured when I was knocked down by a cyclist on Aisling Quay, the little fooker also fracture both my elbows and put me out of work for eleven months :mad:
    Bleedin' cyclists - broke my leg in 3 places when one knocked me down a while ago. Was out of action for nearer eleven weeks, and needed a walking stick for a few more weeks when I did eventually get back to school....:)

Beasty wrote: »
    Bleedin' cyclists - broke my leg in 3 places when one knocked me down a while ago. Was out of action for nearer eleven weeks, and needed a walking stick for a few more weeks when I did eventually get back to school....:)

Sorry to hear that :(

Mine happened when the fecker cycled up the quays against the flow of traffic and knocked me off my motorbike.

Thankfully apart from making a balls of clipping out when I started using cleats first I've never had an accident.. Having said that I've probably cursed myself and get knocked off tomorrow :o

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry to hear that :(
    When I say "a while ago", it was actually about 50 years ago....

The most distressing thing was it was the day the school broke up for half-term holidays - I missed the whole of the next half term anyway but my summer holidays were quite boring that year.

Beasty wrote: »
    When I say "a while ago", it was actually about 50 years ago....

The most distressing thing was it was the day the school broke up for half-term holidays - I missed the whole of the next half term anyway but my summer holidays were quite boring that year.

Oh, I see. Well mine was shortly before my daughter was born and because I was in casts I wasn't allowed hold my new born daughter.

That was back in the summer of '95.

Always thought you were younger btw, be safe.

Always thought you were younger btw,
    Tend to be prone to making that mistake myself....

Was only 5 at the time though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This morning, fully aware of ice on the road, I have managed to navigate at least 5 roundabouts and many 90 degree turns no problem... until the last turn into the business park I work in. Went into a sharp corner at 25kph with the obvious result :pac:

Classic spill, skin missing 3x3cm on the knee and 5x5cm on the hip. Gloves and bib tights torn, but repairable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

Alek wrote: »
    This morning, fully aware of ice on the road, I have managed to navigate at least 5 roundabouts and many 90 degree turns no problem... until the last turn into the business park I work in. Went into a sharp corner at 25kph with the obvious result :pac:

Classic spill, skin missing 3x3cm on the knee and 5x5cm on the hip. Gloves and bib tights torn, but repairable :)

That's not eastpoint is it? Worked there myself and the back gate is lethal for coming of the bike even with just a bit of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Writing this from the bus :( , crashed and burned at 8am about 5 mins into my cycle into work , my own stupidity really , came from a main road into a housing estate and never even noticed the conditions, until i took a bend and over i went , knee is grazed and sore , only have the bike a week , managed to Jam the front brakes so had to hobble home and get the bus , need to get the bike sorted now too , FML

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ouch sounds painful. I think I'll leave the bike in the office tonight and bus it home.

Also saw 2 cyclists go down on my way home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

That's not eastpoint is it?

Nope, Woodford. No excuses, definitely my fault ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Lost it literally at the end of my road, in the housing estate. Front wheel lost grip at the first turn but at the next I went straight onto my left side. Took it very gently the whole way in. Normally average 29km/h but only 21km/h this morning.

No injuries to the bike or myself, just a bruished thigh thankfully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

The only time I've come off was the first time I'd cycled over Sally Gap. Exactly here.

Legs had gone. I'd actually gone past a fella 300m before, thinking I was tremendous, slowed down to a crawl and looked over my shoulder to see where he was, but as I did, I forgot to pedal, came to a stop, and fell into the ditch...

" *chuckle* You allright mate?!" was all I heard as he cycled by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The only time I've come off was the first time I'd cycled over Sally Gap. Exactly here.
    You're lucky there wasn't a bus load of tourists stopped there at the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

You're lucky there wasn't a bus load of tourists stopped there at the time :D

Ha, blessed... While I would have done the same as yer man passing me to someone else, it fairly hurt the pride :)

Ha, blessed... While I would have done the same as yer man passing me to someone else, it fairly hurt the pride :)

Where I fell today was outside a school infront of about 200 kids :D , they can be so cruel !!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

Legs had gone. I'd actually gone past a fella 300m before, thinking I was tremendous, slowed down to a crawl and looked over my shoulder to see where he was, but as I did, I forgot to pedal, came to a stop, and fell into the ditch...

" *chuckle* You allright mate?!" was all I heard as he cycled by.

My chain broke in that same spot, was out of the saddle at the time, ouch! ended up in the ditch and had to make one of those calls home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

This morning, coming through James Gate.
    My own fault, knew it was a dodgy morning, back wheel gave way on a left hander coming out of my estate, but stayed upright.
    And then a right hander in James Gate, slowed down but stupidly hit a shore as I turned, bang, not too bad, bit sore now, but hope to get home without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Cyclists are pretty thin on the ground here in Auckland but I still managed to find one to collide with! Both of us came off our bikes. Fractured my little finger and gave myself a nice deep cut near the elbow. Was hoping to just get it splinted but they put me in a full cast :(

Not a scratch on her or her bike though. She was very apologetic as she had come around from behind a pillar on the wrong side. Haven't fully assessed the bike but left drop bar is pretty well bent in.

This morning heading down the hill into Howth village. Taking it reasonably handy for fear of ice when a driver that had stopped just below the church decided to cross 15m or so in front of me. Hit hard, went over the bonnet and landed on my helmet. Lots of helpers appeared including a nurse and a first aider both of whom insisted I stay lying flat on the road until the ambulance arrived. After four hours in Beaumont A&E, they decided nothing was broken and I wasn't concussed so I was allowed home. The bike didn't seem too bad (or so I was told by a good samaritan cyclist) and is currently being minded in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

This morning heading down the hill into Howth village. Taking it reasonably handy for fear of ice when a driver that had stopped just below the church decided to cross 15m or so in front of me. Hit hard, went over the bonnet and landed on my helmet. Lots of helpers appeared including a nurse and a first aider both of whom insisted I stay lying flat on the road until the ambulance arrived. After four hours in Beaumont A&E, they decided nothing was broken and I wasn't concussed so I was allowed home. The bike didn't seem too bad (or so I was told by a good samaritan cyclist) and is currently being minded in Howth.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you make a quick recovery. I am so weary of motorists now after my crash last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

Jaysus MP that sounds like a lucky escape...nothing broken. Very lucky.
    Take it handy.

Jaysus MP that sounds like a lucky escape...nothing broken. Very lucky.
    Take it handy.

Thanks B. Very lucky indeed plus the benefit of a good helmet. Sore neck and shoulders and a warning from Beaumont that they will be even sorer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Really sorry to read about this. :(

Get well soon.

Really sorry to read about this. :(

Get well soon.

Thanks US.

Should have included a big thank you to the Fire Brigade (!!) and ambulance crews. Nearly all of them seemed to be keen cyclists and there was much slagging of my Defy Composite as I lay strapped to a board on the ground :)

Checked my Strava and the inclination went from -13% to +21%. I presume that was an "in-flight" reading!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Should have included a big thank you to the Fire Brigade (!!) and ambulance crews. Nearly all of them seemed to be keen cyclists and there was much slagging of my Defy Composite as I lay strapped to a board on the ground :)

Glad to hear you're mostly unscathed. Getting strapped to a board is a bit freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ouch, hope the drugs are working for you today. Just curious - did the guy pull out from the kerb or cross a junction or what? It's not clear who was to blame for the incident.

Advertisement