Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Does falling during cx count? If so about 700 times on Sunday. I even fell while cycling around marshalling

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

2 weeks ago, got knocked over by a taxi doing a U-ey. I was on Percy Place, heading towards grand Canal. Taxi was parked on the right hand side of the road facing me, and just turned out infront of me. Didn't see me at all, and I ended up over the bars on the foot path. Didn't so much fly over the bonnet, I more was caught between the kerb and the front bumper. Bruised ribs, and a sore wrist. I'm still sore after 2 weeks. Have to decide how to proceed now.

Have some lovely helmet cam footage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Percy Place does seem to inspire some dangerous driving moves. Every night I go up there and there's always cars trying to squeeze into gaps they can't fit into and end up jamming on and blocking the road. I normally ride on the pavement then hop down onto the road at the restaurant on the corner there.

I very nearly stacked it coming around the corner where the new building is last week. Hit a shore at a weird angle, tipped the brakes and felt the back wheel start to drift. Released the brakes and just about kept it up-right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Percy Place does seem to inspire some dangerous driving moves. Every night I go up there and there's always cars trying to squeeze into gaps they can't fit into and end up jamming on and blocking the road. I normally ride on the pavement then hop down onto the road at the restaurant on the corner there.

I very nearly stacked it coming around the corner where the new building is last week. Hit a shore at a weird angle, tipped the brakes and felt the back wheel start to drift. Released the brakes and just about kept it up-right.

Yeah, if there's little traffic there I will take up a primary position on that road to prevent ridiculous overtakes. Although I've had someone overtake me while doing so, with less than 2cm between my handlebars and his mirror. I'd say it was the same between the parked cars. A shouting match ensued. That guy was a d1ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Might be worth putting Percy Place up on that map of bike incidents in Dublin.

http://dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Have some lovely helmet cam footage.

........and we're all still waiting to see it.

Footage or it didn't happen..............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

and a sore wrist. I'm still sore after 2 weeks. Have to decide how to proceed now.

if you haven't already got that sore wrist checked please do so. A fractured scaphoid is not necessarily as painful as you'd expect, but the consequences of it not healing properly can be dire. Also, fractured scaphoid can be hard to detect in x-rays, but two weeks later, if it's fractured, the healing will have started, and that is often the first sign of the fracture on an x-ray.

rb

Red Belly wrote: »
    if you haven't already got that sore wrist checked please do so. A fractured scaphoid is not necessarily as painful as you'd expect, but the consequences of it not healing properly can be dire. Also, fractured scaphoid can be hard to detect in x-rays, but two weeks later, if it's fractured, the healing will have started, and that is often the first sign of the fracture on an x-ray.

rb

I got the wrist xrayed and they mentioned the scaphoid. No fracture seen on the first xray. Might have to go back and get it checked. It feels okay, but a bit sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

Got "doored" last week by a taxi passenger. Spiral fracture on right middle finger and roadrash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Got "doored" last week by a taxi passenger. Spiral fracture on right middle finger and roadrash.

Ouch. Did you hit the inside of the door, or were you pushed out onto the road? Also, in that case, who is liable - the taxi or the passenger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

Ouch. Did you hit the inside of the door, or were you pushed out onto the road? Also, in that case, who is liable - the taxi or the passenger?

Left rear passenger door; hit the corner edge of the door so was pushed on to kerb side. Although passenger fault, taxi insurance is liable. Both admitted fault on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Training for last years Gaelforce. Lost control coming around a corner, ended up over the bars in a wall lined ditch. Decided to check my self over a wee while later after the adrenaline wore off, right arm all grazed from the wall, and a few cuts and scraps to legs from the pedals. Would have been more only for sleeves and compression socks.

It was a few days later, then the bruses appeared. Right arm from wall, stomach from the brake hoods, thighs I'm gussing from cross bar, and finally lower legs from pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Would have been more only for sleeves and compression socks.
    You might consider the possibility that God was punishing you for cycling in compression socks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lumen wrote: »
    You might consider the possibility that God was punishing you for cycling in compression socks. :pac:

Not Euro?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

This morning.

Estuary Road Malahide, when the front wheel hit a pothole.

B@st@rd Fingal b@st@rd Council b@st@rds :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

In May I went for my first cycle in 11 years, the gears were a bit funny so I needed to look down when changing and when I looked up my husband had suddenly stopped in front of me, brakes didn't work in time as it was a gravel path so came down extremely hard on the crossbar which lead to a massive haematoma, 5 weeks off work and still recovering 6 mths later!

Never ever again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Gouged my elbow good and proper last night :( when I.......

when I.....

.....emmm....

I.....

I...........

fell off the turbo

:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

September 25 2015 - moving from the road into a shopping centre, a bump of about two inches. Unfortunately it was dark and I didn't notice the brick which had been dislodged from the car park surface. Overly the handlebars - slowly but sufficient to break a rib. But, back on the bike after 8 weeks and all good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

rflynnr wrote: »
    September 25 2015 - moving from the road into a shopping centre, a bump of about two inches. Unfortunately it was dark and I didn't notice the brick which had been dislodged from the car park surface. Overly the handlebars - slowly but sufficient to break a rib. But, back on the bike after 8 weeks and all good now.

It's actually amazing how little it takes to send you over the bars.
    And how much damage it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Cycling up Amiens st Dublin last night. Overtaking a bus at a bus stop, didn't notice the crack/raised bumpy bit running along the road, wheels slipped into crack, as I turned to get out of it (and failed) I went fell over to the right. Thankfully my backpack broke my fall and by some miracle no car was behind or to the right of me.

Oh and I was going less than 15kph at the time, nearly stopped by the time I fell due to furious braking ...also helped!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

jon1981 wrote: »
    Cycling up Amiens st Dublin last night. Overtaking a bus at a bus stop, didn't notice the crack/raised bumpy bit running along the road, wheels slipped into crack, as I turned to get out of it (and failed) I went fell over to the right. Thankfully my backpack broke my fall and by some miracle no car was behind or to the right of me.

Oh and I was going less than 15kph at the time, nearly stopped by the time I fell due to furious braking ...also helped!

Those cracks are deadly. I've been notifying the council about a series of them (with added potholes) in Leinster Road for many, many months. I get the impression that the council has given up most road mending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Yesterday evening, a head on collision with a cyclist on the Clontarf cycle path, up towards Sutton, as I was heading back into town. The street lamps were out, although we both had front lights. He must have hit me at about 35kmph with a southerly tailwind. Both of us have brusing and cuts, I have mild concussion and a swollen face and sore limbs. Think I got home on adrenalin as I'm struggling to walk today. Helmet defo saved me from something more serious.

More importantly, the bike is fine - just needs the levers realigned and a new gear cable. Steel frames ftw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Forgot about this thread.

I fell last on 25th June 2015 in Argeles Sur Mer.

When I say fell, I'll play it out for you.

Firstly, French women rock.

Coming back into Argeles from PortBou in Spain I was on a bike path wide and open and doing a steady 25k to cool down before I got back to the camp site.

Passing this French woman, I genuinely have not seen beauty like it before. She was stunning in absolutely every way. So sucked the stomach in, flexed the arms and up I stood on the bike...... Got a nice little flirty smile back oiff her..... and then I smacked bang into a bollard in the middle of the cycle path. Came right off my the bike and straight onto my ass / knee with the bike tumbling away. She came back, picked up my bike, said "Silly silly man" and laughed at me.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

MugMugs wrote: »
    Forgot about this thread.

I fell last on 25th June 2015 in Argeles Sur Mer.

When I say fell, I'll play it out for you.

Firstly, French women rock.

Coming back into Argeles from PortBou in Spain I was on a bike path wide and open and doing a steady 25k to cool down before I got back to the camp site.

Passing this French woman, I genuinely have not seen beauty like it before. She was stunning in absolutely every way. So sucked the stomach in, flexed the arms and up I stood on the bike...... Got a nice little flirty smile back oiff her..... and then I smacked bang into a bollard in the middle of the cycle path. Came right off my the bike and straight onto my ass / knee with the bike tumbling away. She came back, picked up my bike, said "Silly silly man" and laughed at me.

:o

Excellent tactic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yesterday evening, a head on collision with a cyclist on the Clontarf cycle path

Sorry to hear! I find cycling the Clontarf bike path at night really unnerving, as even big strobing bike lights tend to blend with car lights... been in a few close-enough situations myself there. Get well soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Alek wrote: »
    Sorry to hear! I find cycling the Clontarf bike path at night really unnerving, as even big strobing bike lights tend to blend with car lights... been in a few close-enough situations myself there. Get well soon!

Thanks ! Yeah and with the recent storms, there's a lot of crap along the inside lane from Blackbanks to St Fintans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Out this morning. Was 3 or 4 hundred metres down the road and I realised I forgot my phone. Turned back and got it. Set out again and got to the bottom of the road, about 1.5km from the house, just coming down a hill to the main road and then bang, I came down like a tonne of bricks. Never saw the ice. I got some fright. Straight down on my hip. Cut, grazed and brusied. It's bloody sore. My Gabba 2 jersey survived but my fairly new Castelli velocissimo bib tights are ripped. I haven't properly examined the bike yet.

I was always told it was bad luck to turn back after you start a journey. Should have left the phone where it was ☺

Oh the pain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My last fall was last year, where I tried to avoid a speed bump, but misjudged. I ended up spinning through 180-degrees, but luckily that took most of the momentum out of me, so that when I fall, it was almost like a fall from a stationary position, rather than a sliding fall. I just laughed it off and continued on my way. I've had two bad falls in the past, one on ice and one caused by the handbag strap of a pedestrian stepping out onto the road and pulling the bars from under me.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Happened during the weekend cycling into town. Was wearing a new pair of vans that were designed for winter & have a load of grip. These are bigger than my normal shoes that i usually cycle in & as a result were too big for the straps I have on my pedals.

Phone rang, so I went to pull off the road onto a raised loading bay, tyre clipped something aaaand my foot was stuck in the strap. [insert face plant here]

Tried to play it all cool to the pedestrians by answering my phone still on the ground like nothing had happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Give em nathin!!

Advertisement