Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Saturday week ago, at Parkwood springs MTB trails in Sheffield. Wasn't even going downhill! Went across a bridleway, up a short track but misjudged the gear and went "ohhh shii .... " and fell over into a shrub as I couldn't get out of the pedals fast enough :pac:

Quite a pathetic fall really. Thankfully there were no witnesses to my embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Yesterday in the naul. Pulling into a cafe and made the cardinal error of not mounting the curb from head on. Came at the curb from an angle and the front wheel slipped out. Over I went with 1 foot still clipped in. Was grand though - no damage to me but the bike picked up a few scratches...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just as oncoming cars are not entitled to cut across a road without checking for cyclists - but sometimes they do. So what speed would you expect them to be doing?

Seen it happen before where a cyclist went through a junction where he had the right of way, hit a car as he was clipping over 40kmph.

Having the right of way gives no road user the right to proceed without due care and attention. Approaching a junction where it is clear that views may be impeded or where there are lights without adjusting your speed is wreckless.

I think the OP didn't do it intentionally but to blame it 100% on the car driver when the OP admits that he was going to fast for the conditions is ridiculous, your an analogy of a motorbike is fair, most motorcyclists worth a grain of salt would have slowed until they knew they were seen or clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Yesterday morning about 2 foot from the front door, 1 foot clipped in and as going to roll down the path but back wheel was rubbing against a break pad wheel popped out and over i went in to the grass which was nice n damp. Thankfully early enough that was no 1 around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yesterday. Car passes me just before a narrow bridge, then has to stop almost immediately as a car was coming the opposite way on the bridge. I was heading for a big smack into the back of the car. Big skid, but thankfully I had practically stopped before I hit the back of the car. Back wheel up in the air and out the side door! Guy in car was relieved I was ok and then said 'I' was going too fast - so in his eyes, my fault! Just another day on the bike and dangerous overtaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

aaakev wrote: »
    To generous? He was doing 35-40k passed traffic coming to a junction! Its his fault as much as anyone else.

I accept its my fault as much as anyone else. Which is why I'm paying for my own bike repair and minor medical issues.

Again, not an excuse but this wasn't the main Terneure junction with traffic lights . It was where a small side road of houses join the main road. So Just to clarify, is every little side road and indeed drive way along the left side of a main road to treated like a junction with lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Didn't fall but was millimetres from being wiped out on the daily commute this morning. Going through Kimmage at a decent clip when a car stopped to let another car out of a side road on the left, the driver didn't look & just pulled out in front of me. Thankfully we both got on the brakes in time but the front of her car clipped my foot, no damage on my part anyway. Wasn't far from going over the bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Yesterday. Car passes me just before a narrow bridge, then has to stop almost immediately as a car was coming the opposite way on the bridge. I was heading for a big smack into the back of the car. Big skid, but thankfully I had practically stopped before I hit the back of the car. Back wheel up in the air and out the side door! Guy in car was relieved I was ok and then said 'I' was going too fast - so in his eyes, my fault! Just another day on the bike and dangerous overtaking

The overtake would have been fine if that silly bridge hadn't jumped out in front of the car. I don't like that tendency of people trying overtakes without reading the road ahead. It makes you wonder what they are actually looking at out the windscreen.

I had someone decide to try an overtake as I was arriving at a traffic island, and therefore there was no room to pass. The driver didn't seem to realise that the island was there at all and they were just fixated with overtaking me. They spotted the island as they were about to collide with it and swerved wildly into the oncoming lane. They managed to recover just before a car came around a blind corner coming the other way.

With crushing predictability, the maniac driver got stopped at a red 200m up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Last time I fell off the bike was on an occasion where I had a plastic bag hanging on the handle bar; the bag jammed between my knee and the handlebar and I swerved quite violently, completely lost control and was very lucky there was no oncoming traffic.

Needless to say, I have never carried a bag on the handle bar since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Needless to say, I have never carried a bag on the handle bar since.
    my first job, when i was 15 or 16, was in an ice cream factory. i used to cycle home with 16 litres of ice cream, 8 each in two bags, hanging from the end of the handlebars. cornering is fun when you've two heavy pendulums slung from your handlebars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

my first job, when i was 15 or 16, was in an ice cream factory. i used to cycle home with 16 litres of ice cream, 8 each in two bags, hanging from the end of the handlebars. cornering is fun when you've two heavy pendulums slung from your handlebars.

What did you do with 16 litres of ice cream when you got it home? I mean, that would take up quite a bit of space in a freezer. You'd be doing well to eat that much before it all melted, I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my mum used to give 12 litres away (was 4 x 4 litre tubs - it was catering ice cream).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

It's been a while but had a spill around 10.40am this morning on Parnell Street (Dublin). A girl ran between two buses and T-boned me just as I passed. She was being pursued by a man. I thought initially she had pick-pocked him and he was giving chase but, on reflection, it may have been drug related. No injuries as such as it was low speed but her head connected with my right cheek. She had a lit cigarette in her mouth - not ideal when you're doing a runner.
    sorry, you had a spill, but it reads quite funny akin to something from laurel & hardy!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

7 months ago :(

I was descending from the Sally Gap on a bike that had not brought me a lot of luck :angry:

I was getting into my tuck, just before the steep drop off near the top and like an eejit I stuck to the left hand side of the road. Small indentation on the road surface and the bike became unstable.

I'd recovered from another unstable moment on the bike before, grabbed the top tube between my knees, brought myself forward, braking with the rear and I brought it down from nearly a 100 kmh to 60 kmh. Never felt more alive :)

However this time I ran out of road and instead of just riding it into the grass/gorse/bog/water I braked hard with with both levers. A high pitched scream of "Fu $%^" echoed around the hills and I went flying.

I was told afterwards that I went over with the bike, rolled up and over and then the bike flew into the air landing in the bog.

Helmet totalled, I mean split into six pieces. Road rash on back, shoulder and legs. Broke a bone in my ankle. The impact tore the heel pads of my shoe. When I came round I had a crowd around me and someone trying to straighten my legs. Was in and out of conciousness for a while. The ambulance crew took an hour to get to me. I had 6 people around me trying to keep me warm and awake.

The bike had a cracked top tube where the handlebars had smacked into it. Apart from that everything else was grand, including my Garmin :D

Reviewing it later I was doing 72 kmh when I lost control. I am one lucky mofo that I din't kill myself. :ermm:

Anyways, in plaster for me holliers and still trying to get the ankle working properly on the bike. I've had to put my attempt at the RAI Ultra on hold and still considering taking a hacksaw/chainsaw to the fecking bike. :angry:

BTW, anyone know a good place to get the frame fixed? Carbon Fibre Felt AR5 it is and I'll happily reassemble and sell it on as soon as afterwards.

Moral(s) of the story:
    1. Don't ride out on mountains by yourself.
    2. Always wear a helmet.
    3. Don't push your luck when the bike just doesn't feel "right".
    4. Get back on the bike as soon as you can afterwards.
    5. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

SMacX wrote: »
    7 months ago :(

I was descending from the Sally Gap on a bike that had not brought me a lot of luck :angry:

I was getting into my tuck, just before the steep drop off near the top and like an eejit I stuck to the left hand side of the road. Small indentation on the road surface and the bike became unstable.

I'd recovered from another unstable moment on the bike before, grabbed the top tube between my knees, brought myself forward, braking with the rear and I brought it down from nearly a 100 kmh to 60 kmh. Never felt more alive :)

However this time I ran out of road and instead of just riding it into the grass/gorse/bog/water I braked hard with with both levers. A high pitched scream of "Fu $%^" echoed around the hills and I went flying.

I was told afterwards that I went over with the bike, rolled up and over and then the bike flew into the air landing in the bog.

Helmet totalled, I mean split into six pieces. Road rash on back, shoulder and legs. Broke a bone in my ankle. The impact tore the heel pads of my shoe. When I came round I had a crowd around me and someone trying to straighten my legs. Was in and out of conciousness for a while. The ambulance crew took an hour to get to me. I had 6 people around me trying to keep me warm and awake.

The bike had a cracked top tube where the handlebars had smacked into it. Apart from that everything else was grand, including my Garmin :D

Reviewing it later I was doing 72 kmh when I lost control. I am one lucky mofo that I din't kill myself. :ermm:

Anyways, in plaster for me holliers and still trying to get the ankle working properly on the bike. I've had to put my attempt at the RAI Ultra on hold and still considering taking a hacksaw/chainsaw to the fecking bike. :angry:

BTW, anyone know a good place to get the frame fixed? Carbon Fibre Felt AR5 it is and I'll happily reassemble and sell it on as soon as afterwards.

Moral(s) of the story:
    1. Don't ride out on mountains by yourself.
    2. Always wear a helmet.
    3. Don't push your luck when the bike just doesn't feel "right".
    4. Get back on the bike as soon as you can afterwards.
    5. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :P
    fuppin hell, are ye insane in the membrane! 100kmph, I'd cack doing half that speed!

glad that you are okay (sort of)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

SMacX wrote: »
    7 months ago

Moral(s) of the story:

[*]Don't ride out on mountains by yourself.
      [*]Always wear a helmet.
      [*]Don't push your luck when the bike just doesn't feel "right".
      [*]Get back on the bike as soon as you can afterwards.
      [*]What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

you get one of these? :D

382488.jpeg

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

First time properly cycling in months was also my first time on a proper MTB descent, which also happened to be my first time falling in months.

Being stupid and going way too fast on the way down a mountain in Tenerife, shredded off about 3mm from my right elbow, random cuts and tears all over my body, somehow as much dust ended up inside my base layer as outside, my left kneecap is feiced and the very very hot disc brake that slammed into my left calf left a pretty cauturised circle..

Finished the 25km descent from there, promptly ended up back in my hotel trying to wash off blood whilst looking to buy a shiny new hardtail.

2. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is becoming tedious. 2 hrs ago, about 500metres from home. Coming up ballymun road, signalled to cross lanes, van slowed, think I hesitated then about the car in the next lane. Foot slipped off pedal or chain slipped or something but I went down quite hard.

Left elbow took a hit, and right knee, calf and ankle all got cut up too. Went to ddoc, had to ring for an appointment while sitting in waiting room, asnit was a similar fall which broke the other elbow.

Doc is sending me for xray but early signs are just bruising. Big bloody bruise on hip too and managed to not hit the head again somehow. Driver stopped to ask if I needed help, but I declined due to proximity of home.

Think I and the steel tourer are cursed and maybe I parted with it.

3. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Update: elbow is not broken (didn't think it was)! I heartily recommend the mater rapid injury clinic if you have a GP willing to refer you there

4. Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like you live not far from me.

5. Advertisement
    6. Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

In Brisbane Australia, at the T of a T junction, wanting to turn left. Very visible, but low light.

Taxi turns into the I of the T junction, and straight towards me.

I scrambled to jump off my bike, falling in the process. Taxi wheels go over my bike wheels, bending both wheels and breaking spokes. I was, thankfully, absolutely fine.

Taxi was going to drive off, but the fare inside screamed at him to stop. He brought me home, and gave me some money, promising to drop more into my house.

He never did.

I learned a lesson - call the Guards, Police, whatever in future.

7. Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Weepsie wrote: »
      Update: elbow is not broken (didn't think it was)! I heartily recommend the mater rapid injury clinic if you have a GP willing to refer you there

Sorry for your troubles! The Mater Rapid Injury Clinic is brilliant.

I was there a while ago when I snapped a tendon in my finger. Couldn't believe how fast I was dealt with.

8. Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A new thread for me...

Came off the bike Sunday during the Comeragh Tour, descending off Mahon Falls when i couldn't make the bend after the cattle grid.

Head on smash into a small wall and went over the handlebars into mountain briars landing on my back about 3ft below road level.

Bike was smashed up, i was cut n sore but nothing broken, glad tp escape lightly.

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

Fell off (kind of) Friday. 18% incline with grass in middle of the road, back wheel touches the grass/gravel and spins, I tried to recover it but ended up doing that mad wobbling thing into the ditch on the far side of the road. Bike didn't quite go down though so doesn't maybe count :)

10. Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

My last fall documented here involved me checking out a woman.

Coming into my estate yesterday from a spin my head was turned by a sunbathing lass out the front of her house. Big rock in the middle of the road and the front wheel hit it. Down I came onto my knee, arm and ass. I literally haven't been able to sit properly since. It's badly bruised.

Makes me think though.

I've come off my mountain bike numerous times, been winded and done damage but I've never felt pain like I do when I've taken a spill on the road bike. It's the most painful type of fall.

Really makes you wonder what it's like to come off on a speedy descent. May have to reign in the speed on the descents from here on in........ and maybe keep my eyes on the road too.

11. Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ding, ding!

Cycled to school with the kids this morning. Was explaining about the dangers of parallel kerbs, ruts, and freshly wet surfaces.

Obviously whilst delivering the lecture I clipped the beige kerb and fell off at walking pace. :pac:

Bike fine, bit of bleeding and scuffing.

My ineptitude aside, it is puzzling why they deliberately chose to cover the entry onto the cycle path with paving that has parallel ridges on it. Might write a letter.

Mm_Pp_Q0t7_Eur_Wmk_By4_LNa_Vn_GRe_K5n_P4r_OT_w62ad_Cg_G6_Lv_QGI.jpg

(click for larger version)

12. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Lumen wrote: »
      My ineptitude aside, it is puzzling why they deliberately chose to cover the entry onto the cycle path with paving that has parallel ridges on it. Might write a letter.

I believe it's for blind people with the sticks. They know not to enter then cycle path. However, it doesn't stop them from wandering in once they are walking parallel! From experience, I think that the slower I cycle through the ridges the more likely I'm to lose balance but I haven't fallen yet like you :P

13. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
      traprunner wrote: »
      I believe it's for blind people with the sticks. They know not to enter then cycle path. However, it doesn't stop them from wandering in once they are walking parallel! From experience, I think that the slower I cycle through the ridges the more likely I'm to lose balance but I haven't fallen yet like you :P

It is indeed.

This one is incorrectly done as far as i can tell though. The yield sign for the bike lane should be upto where the ridges end and the ridges should be between the two yield signs, with the ridges on the pedestrian path extended between the two.

As seen here

14. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

CramCycle wrote: »
      It is indeed.

This one is incorrectly done as far as i can tell though. The yield sign for the bike lane should be upto where the ridges end and the ridges should be between the two yield signs, with the ridges on the pedestrian path extended between the two.

As seen here

It looks like it's done the same as the grand canal area. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3386501,-6.2391734,3a,75y,191.5h,64.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szCAZFbv3uQ8kg1GvTKcq8g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

15. Advertisement
    16. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

traprunner wrote: »

They are meant to be placed intermittently along the track as well, in case a person would wander onto it by accident. The canal ones, while a mess of a junction for interaction, are not far off being correct, as they stop a person turning up the canal from walking on the track (hopefully). This said the rest of the junction relies on the good graces of others for a cluster **** not to occur.

Advertisement