Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

traprunner wrote: »
    I believe it's for blind people with the sticks. They know not to enter then cycle path. However, it doesn't stop them from wandering in once they are walking parallel! From experience, I think that the slower I cycle through the ridges the more likely I'm to lose balance but I haven't fallen yet like you :P
    Ah right.

I actually came off after the ridges, by cycling into the raised beige section on the right of the path (coming towards camera). It looked flush from my elevated vantage point (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Maybe the subtle kerbing is also for blind people, though it would make more sense to raise the cycle path instead. I suspect it's just because the contractors couldn't be bothered to make it level.

Sometimes I wonder whether the people who build these things have ever ridden a bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

This morning. :angry:

In the underground car park at work.

Down the ramp, hit the brake as I was turning towards the bike racks (silly), rolled/slipped over some oil and water, bang, on the deck, hit a steel bollard too. No injuries except for a couple of small gashes on me shin.

(Special mention to the aul one in the car, one metre in front of me, who watched the whole thing, didn't get out, then exited her car as I was locking my bike, purposefully avoided eye contact by turning her back and proceeded to change her shoes and go on her merry way.)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Last Friday on the way home at the side of the Custom House where the cars currently exit. Theres a little cycle lane there I as trying to get to but was behind a few cars so tried to trackstand but got it wrong. Thankfully fell onto the path as opposed to into the road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Down the ramp, hit the brake as I was turning towards the bike racks (silly), rolled/slipped over some oil and water, bang, on the deck, hit a steel bollard too. No injuries except for a couple of small gashes on me shin.

(Special mention to the aul one in the car, one metre in front of me, who watched the whole thing, didn't get out, then exited her car as I was locking my bike, purposefully avoided eye contact by turning her back and proceeded to change her shoes and go on her merry way.)
    the old eddie murphy trick from beverely hills cop, stick a banana up her exhaust, it wont help your shin but it might make you smile, bring out the vengeful child indside of you!

BTW.

that is not a Euphemism for anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Bloggsie wrote: »
    the old eddie murphy trick from beverely hills cop, stick a banana up her exhaust, it wont help your shin but it might make you smile, bring out the vengeful child indside of you!

BTW.

Yeah, kill her with carbon monoxide poisoning.

That seems like a fair trade....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Bloggsie wrote: »

BTW.

Still laughing at "banana up her exhaust", in the euphemistic way.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Yeah, kill her with carbon monoxide poisoning.

That seems like a fair trade....
    sure whats posionus gasses between workmates, Gas Craic and all that!

Last Friday on the way home at the side of the Custom House where the cars currently exit. Theres a little cycle lane there I as trying to get to but was behind a few cars so tried to trackstand but got it wrong. Thankfully fell onto the path as opposed to into the road though.
    saw a guy do that before on the quays at tara street & he managed to just about keep it upright before gravity won, gave himself a good crack when he landed, a few other cyclists helped him up and away he went.

Only 1 motorist beeped him for having the nerve to lie down on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Fell tonight in dub city. Cycling along left hand side along stationary traffic, group of 3 drinking pedestrians strut out from in front of bus. Hit the breaks but no avoiding all 3, ended up taking one with me. Both grand, one wasted bottle of beer.

Somehow he thought it was my fault; I didn't see the point in arguing but told him where to go. Some people have no cop on but I assume he was just langers, luckily no injuries and no damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 breakingaway80

I cycled two months ago... had a race with my friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

Last Saturday week..on a short sharp hills decided to get out of saddle for a quick spurt. Chain slipped off and jammed in rear mech. Went sprawling to the right , usual burns on elbow..bad bruising around kidney area and on inside of thighs. Vaguely remember helmet hitting the road but was a bit preoccupied with burnd and soreness and really wanting to cry (but not in front of others :) ).
    Anyways a pal asked about the helmet, had forgotten to check it, had even been out on Wed and Saturday gone.... it's a write off . Cracked right through on righthand side. Picked up a new one on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

This morning :mad:

Wet leaves on the Fairview bicycle lane at end of Malahide road there. I failed to notice a lad on a bike joining the lane ahead of me, I jammed on brakes to avoid ... wet leaves, no grip...wipeout! Was probably doing about 25-28kph, will go slower next time!

Grazed, elbow hip, thigh and ankle for my trouble.

Damn you leaves!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Last night! Clipping out at the Topaz in Blessington, was going too slow and unclipped on the right and then for some reason tried to put the left down! No harm done, except to my pride :)
    Dumbass!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Couple of months back I was free wheeling down the ramp into my office underground parking lot and the shutters started to come down. I instinctively tapped the breaks and went straight over the handlebars 'cos of the incline. Rolled down to the bottom of the ramp and the bike came bouncing down after me. Couple of scrapes to me and the bike but no harm done. Turns out the shutters had a sensor and went back up as soon as I got near them. Had already left my bike at that stage though :pac:

Last one before that was a few years back, again going into an underground office car park. My wheels were wet and you had to turn as soon as you reached the bottom of the ramp, where the concrete also simultaneously becomes polished. Predictably sore outcome was had.

I witnessed an odd one a few months back on Dame Street - a chap on a mountain bike suddenly had his front wheel lock for no apparent reason. He went straight over the handlebars and the bike did a somersault. It was as if someone stuck an invisible bar into the front wheel. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Couple of months back I was free wheeling down the ramp into my office underground parking lot and the shutters started to come down. I instinctively tapped the breaks and went straight over the handlebars 'cos of the incline. Rolled down to the bottom of the ramp and the bike came bouncing down after me. Couple of scrapes to me and the bike but no harm done. Turns out the shutters had a sensor and went back up as soon as I got near them. Had already left my bike at that stage though :pac:

Last one before that was a few years back, again going into an underground office car park. My wheels were wet and you had to turn as soon as you reached the bottom of the ramp, where the concrete also simultaneously becomes polished. Predictably sore outcome was had.

There was me wondering why some places I worked in had rabid 'no cycling on the ramp' policies. I would studiously ignore the signs and the cranky security guards and wonder what kind of loolah would be so careless as to crash on a car park ramp and ruin it for the rest of us. Well now I know! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 breakingaway80

I have lost little finger of my left hand in an accident, while I was on a self guided bike tour in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Last Saturday morning. The old front wheel overlap caught me out. Went down like a sack of spuds. Cracked 6 x ribs, 1 x shoulder blade and 1 x finger for good measure. At least I went down in the verge so very little road rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Clipped the footpath on the Southern Cross Road in Bray today for no reason, thankfully on my mountain bike going slow home from work instead of the 40 kph I would have been doing on the roadbike on that road, still went straight over the handlebars and got a thump on the head when the bike landed on me, skinned knees, skinned palms, sore all over now. I haven't crashed like that in years, made me feel all nostalgic. Loads of people stopped to help but I popped the chain back in and got out of there before anyone from work saw me.

Today. Currently awaiting an x ray to find out if the wrist is fractured or sprained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

May 13th 2008, came off on some grit on a roundabout here in Cork. Went to a+e and was told I had a broken collar bone, bit of road rash as well. My first Ring of Kerry was weeks away so 2 days later I was back out, a month off work used mainly training for the ring. Not the wisest thing but it stopped me from going mad with boredom.

• Advertisement

Today. Currently awaiting an x ray to find out if the wrist is fractured or sprained.

Not broken. Ice it and rest it. Should be back on the bike within a week. Phew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How'd it happen?

How'd it happen?

Lack of attention on my part. Was up on the corkagh cycle track and went too close to the edge, came a cropper on the wet grass. Would have been better off just going into the grass rather than try correct my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

A few weeks ago I was cycling along and a man in a parked car suddenly swung his door open and i clattered into it

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

3 accidents in the last 12 months -
    1. Broken collarbone on Tour of the Burren (June 2016) when clipped bike in front of me.
    2. February 2017 - pulling in to coffee shop hit an oil patch ? and front wheel went from under me - broken broke in shoulder.
    3. April 2017 - cycled into back of 40 foot trailer and broke 4 vertebrae but luckily nothing permanent.

Also worth mentioning that on each occasion, i broke my helmet...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

broke 4 vertebrae but luckily nothing permanent.
    bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Took up cycling about two years ago and encountered ice for the first time earlier this year. I imagined it would be like in a car, where you feel the wheel slip; then with a deft steering adjustment, and gentle application of brakes, brings it back under control. It isn't like that. So I find myself horizontal on the road before I even see the ice. Luckily, it was only about 300 metres into my 25 km commute. Lesson learned.

yeah, i've had that experience - just feels like someone has kicked the front wheel sideways, out from underneath you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, front wheel slides are usually like that, bike just goes down and you're on the ground before you even realise what's happening.

I last went down in January going around the roundabout between Barton Rd/Ballinteer/Dundrum. Road was greasy, tyres were old, and like that the front wheel went and before I knew it, I was down. Luckily going uphill so not particularly fast, though I already had a sore shoulder on that side and catching myself prolonged it for another week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

yeah, i've had that experience - just feels like someone has kicked the front wheel sideways, out from underneath you.

Exactly..it was very weird, it seemed like it was in slow motion and yet I also managed a concussion from it. I got up and was brought into the coffee shop and had absolutely no memory of what has just happened !!

Advertisement