Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

I think I may have one for the books. Fitted new Crud 3's during winter with much faffing, 28mm's (which I will never give up) left no room on my old alu frame so found a way to jamb front guard to back of fork arch and happy with the fixing for a dozen or so rides. One day on a quickish bumpy downhill a strange noise started and in nick of time realized front mud guard was being forced between tyre and arch, I braked hard enough to get ahead of total seizure but still had to go over the bars landing a few metres further on. I was lucky there were no vehicles on that stretch just then, several went by at speed a minute later and bike just scratched an STI lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Same thing happened to a Dutch friend of mine in Dublin. He ignored a weird rattling sound for a few weeks, then the front mudguard suddenly moved, wedged, and brought his front wheel to an abrupt stop, and over he went. Broke his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I fell off yesterday evening, wasn't sure of the route I was taking so I was following road signs and while focusing on one the bloody kerb jumped out and knocked the bike out from under me.

No major injuries and unfortunately not nearly enough damage to the bike to warrant buying a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I have a disability which affects my balance I fall on my back every few days at home.

Just re started biking and so far I haven't fallen off yet but that's probably due to the lack of any speed on my heavy old"mountain" bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

davycc wrote: »
    I have a disability which affects my balance I fall on my back every few days at home.

Just re started biking and so far I haven't fallen off yet but that's probably due to the lack of any speed on my heavy old"mountain" bike

Does your position on the bike counteract this. I mean, if the issue causes you to fall on your back, could the leaning forward on your hands, counteract the issue? Or is the issue not as simple as this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

CramCycle wrote: »
    Does your position on the bike counteract this. I mean, if the issue causes you to fall on your back, could the leaning forward on your hands, counteract the issue? Or is the issue not as simple as this?

If I lean back too far I go on my back like a turtle lol, most of the fall in the home I have been clumsy and falling badly after catching my calf and not being able react quick enough.

Haven't had a spill on the bike yet but I lean my spine approximately 45 degree angle.

davycc wrote: »

Bikes when they are moving tend to naturally self balance above a certain speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This morning about 100metres from my apartment. Slowing down at a roundabout and the whole bike went sideways and slowly down I went.

There where big splashes of oil or diesel all along the road before and after so I would assume it was that.

Bruised ego and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Didn't realize this thread existed..

5 weeks ago, near Donnybrook Church where cycle track moves up onto footpath - railing each side of access point, had just passed out bus so took it at the wrong angle and caught my handlebar on one railing - broken elbow and cracked ribs; buckled front wheel and puncture. Back on the bike a week now. Was an accident waiting to happen, have reported to DCC so will see if they do anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭secman

Had a very near miss on a roundabout coming out of Enniscorthy last Monday, on the good bike too, had to brake hard coming out of roundabout as I wasn't going to make the exit, was going to hit kerb..... luckily it was bone dry , hatd btske and quick adjustment... barely made it. Huge sigh of relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wasn't myself, but my other half about ten feet in front of me at the Gap bike park in Dublin on Monday just gone (7th Aug). She quite impressively managed to off line, then front-wheel hit a ditch running across the trail either side, she flipped over the bars, and then very thoughtfully protected the bike by having it land on top of herself. Few bruises but she's still grinning from ear to ear this week.

I nearly came off on the red-plus line when I took my hard-tail off a drop which I wasn't expecting. Tried to drop into it, then realised mid-drop that it was a bit larger than I'd thought and thought i was going over the bars but the front took it, I hung on, shifted my weight back, and forgot that the back needed to come down too. I was reminded when I heard an almighty BANG after having managed to ride it out and thought "well fvck there goes my rear rim". But fortune smiled as it was only my rear tube (yes I'm a heathen ... or lazy, you decide ...) that crapped itself and blew up inside the tyre :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Feels like once a year around this time I manage not to make a corner.

Almost home, turning in the road that goes to the New Educate Toguether School at the bottom of Belarmine. Lost front wheel and off I went. Bike is ok just scratches on the brake levers. Kids had a laugh.

After I noticed the construction traffic have left a nice layer of mud around the corner and the street. Felt very slippery even under the foot.

Don’t the contractor need to ensure the roads are clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've only had one fall in the last few years. Met a jogger on the road at night on a small fried egg roundabout. Avoiding him meant cycling on the white painted line of the roundabout that had frozen quicker than the black tar because of the colour/texture. Front wheel went from under me, no major injuries, jogger ran off without helping me!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

bikedude wrote: »
    Don’t the contractor need to ensure the roads are clean?
    Contractors are kinda like teenagers. They don't really get the distinction between 'clean' and 'a bit less dirty'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pedestrian decided to run across at the spire on red, I dived to one side and skimmed her. She remained standing, I hit the deck pretty hard.

Before that woulda been big freeze of like 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

endacl wrote: »
    Contractors are kinda like teenagers. They don't really get the distinction between 'clean' and 'a bit less dirty'.

Had this recently in Ballycullen area SDCC went up to investigate be fair to them...

Spotted a road sweeper a day later but all he did was mash the dirt in as far as i can see no water used just brushed the dirt further into the cracks.
    Hopefully I am not adding to this thread tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

Last time was about 2 months ago in Thomastown, was pulling in to make a phone call, there's a shop with petrol pumps in the main street and there was a spill jsut past it where I pulled in which combined with the rain had me on the deck in no short order.

Previous time is a fall of shame about 5 years ago. I had at the time a pair of crappy shoes I was using for the commute, I tried to unclip at a roundabout (turning right in the outside lane of a dual carriageway). Tried to unclip only to have the cleat rotate in the shoe and remain fixed to the pedal. No damage thankfully other than to pride, and slunk off to the pedestrian island only to have the woman behind beep her horn to attract me to the fact that my water bottle was still in the middle of the road. Not my most graceful day on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Came off today. Moving very slowly going uphill from killiney dart station up coco road. I looked back to see where one of the guys was and hit diesel as I had one hand on the bars. Just a grazed knee. It was a slow fall and but h bike is fine.

Last minute substitute to my commuter bike this morning. It has gatorskins and I’d say they are partly to blame.

First time that didn’t involve LUAS tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've not fallen off my bike since I last fell off it 3 months ago......been driving to work since:)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Embarrassing one today, coming down Con Colbert rd towards town, was to the left side of the middle lane approaching the traffic lights so cars could overtake me.
    Prison services van pulls in from the bus lane and stops, taking up the whole lane and leaving me no room. No problem, I'll just wait, not in a mad hurry. pulled the brakes, but combination of pads due for a change and slush on the rims means i didn't slow down quite as fast as expected...
    Hit the back bumper of the van at about 5kph, and fell sideways. No damage done except for my ego, which required immediate hospitalisation :o
    The van didn't even notice!

Lesson learned, don't put off brake maintenance, especially in this weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

About two weeks ago. Pulling into the side of the road. Hit a rut between the road and the footpath. Only suffered embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

simonw wrote: »
    The van didn't even notice!

Glad to hear you're OK. It's possible that they did notice, but their security protocol would be to stay in the van and not engage.

Glad to hear you're OK. It's possible that they did notice, but their security protocol would be to stay in the van and not engage.

Was thinking the same, but it's terrible to think they likely have protocols for someone throwing themselves out in front of them aswell given the lengths some would go to escape custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Planners have seen fit to resurface junctions around North London with cobbles.

Came off at one such junction turning left last month. Left hip and little finger still hurting. The cobbles bump your tyre off the road briefly if going at any speed, and grip in the wet is low. Danger zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Had a rare fall December (26th/27th?) at Cathkin Braes country park in Glasgow whilst mountain biking in the snow. All captured (sadly) on the missus' GoPro footage and viewable on youtube. Was doing a short climb out of a rolling section of trail and a) misjudged the gear, b) misjudged the slab of snow & ice-caked rock which sent my front wheel off the trail to a dead-stop in a snow-drift and c) couldn't unclip my foot from the pedal in time, so fell over Benny Hill style.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Steoller

Was training with a group for the 2015 Galway Cycle. It was the 90km run, but we bailed out 30km in to it,  at Mother Hubbard's, due to the snow getting heavier. 
    I was following the line of the cyclist in front, as they went through the entrance - which was covered in a puddle. My line must have been slightly off theirs, because they made it through, while I planted the front wheel in a submerged pothole. Over the handle bars and buckled the front wheel. My elbows were in bits for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

came off this morning on black ice. A water main had burst and frozen all over the road on the way into citywest. I couldn't stop as I was already on the ice so tried to stay upright but failed. I wouldn't mind but I ripped my shorts and gloves both of which were new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Last fell a good few years ago, on ice, rural area. I just cycle for fun now (great way to keep the weight down) and do not bother going out if there may be any black ice about.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fell off the bottom step of the stairs bringing pressies down on XMas Eve, if that counts! Turned over my ankle damaging ligaments in my foot and have bursitis in the other knee. Still not able to get back on a real bike as a consequence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Fell off the bottom step of the stairs bringing pressies down on XMas Eve, if that counts! Turned over my ankle damaging ligaments in my foot and have bursitis in the other knee. Still not able to get back on a real bike as a consequence

Should have used the chimney!

Advertisement