Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

stockdam wrote: »
    Let's talk Masters here. Since I was a kid I have watched every single one especially on Sunday night and I don't remember being disappointed. The Masters generally comes alive on the back 9 on Sunday.

Not even last year? Personally thought it was one of the dullest back 9 Masters Sunday in recent memory. I guess we have been spoilt with usually exciting finishes come showdown at Augusta so I'm hoping this year follows that trend.

More on topic..... I'm still thinking about that 66 mentioned earlier. I would love to know if that is true....... if it is, that's a phenomenal score in that format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Senecio wrote: »
    His final round 63 to win the Australian Open was simply the finest round of golf anyone has played in the last 2 years.

All the top golfers have a final round 63 in them.;-)

HighLine wrote: »
    Not even last year? Personally thought it was one of the dullest back 9 Masters Sunday in recent memory. I guess we have been spoilt with usually exciting finishes come showdown at Augusta so I'm hoping this year follows that trend.

More on topic..... I'm still thinking about that 66 mentioned earlier. I would love to know if that is true....... if it is, that's a phenomenal score in that format.

I hope it is true, seriously would love to see him put his best game up against today's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

But - you can't underestimate, him being black playing golf and on the cover of every important magazine and newspaper in the world. This was not only driven by his image and race - he was just brilliant too.

Come on now. Woods being "black"? He never claimed that himself and went out of his way to explain his "multi-race" background. Since he has been playing there has been no increase in the number of black players playing on the PGA tour. Maybe Calvin Peete or Jim Thorpe did more for the underrepresented black golfers but how has Woods made any impression on the number of Black (or even non-white) pro golfers?

I struggle to remember any black golfers who have played Collegiate Golf or Walker Cup golf so it looks to me that Woods' colour has done nothing (sadly).

He ain't no role model nor does he do a lot for non-white golf (has he ever had a black caddy?). He has been an outstanding golfer but I would say that unfortunately his "blackness" has done diddly squat for golf.

Well they can't all be mega exciting but I did stay up to the end. I'll stay up to the end on Sunday no matter who wins.

As for the 66........what tees was it off? Most top pros would murder any course even off the members back tees and with "normal" green speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Come on now. Woods being "black"? He never claimed that himself and went out of his way to explain his "multi-race" background. Since he has been playing there has been no increase in the number of black players playing on the PGA tour. Maybe Calvin Peete or Jim Thorpe did more for the underrepresented black golfers but how has Woods made any impression on the number of Black (or even non-white) pro golfers?

I struggle to remember any black golfers who have played Collegiate Golf or Walker Cup golf so it looks to me that Woods' colour has done nothing (sadly).

He ain't no role model nor does he do a lot for non-white golf (has he ever had a black caddy?). He has been an outstanding golfer but I would say that unfortunately his "blackness" has done diddly squat for golf.

I think you are wrong there. Of all sports golf is/was seen as an upper class white sport whereas in the US football and baseball is associated with the coloured and Hispanic community. If memory serves me right Tiger was either the first or second coloured member of Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

davo10 wrote: »
    Australian masters eh, who was second? How many of the top 20 played in that one?

It was the Australian Open and while I can't be orsed figuring out the rankings of everyone that played I can tell you Spieth finished 9 in front of Adam Scott and 15 in front of Rory McIlroy.
    Rod Pampling was 2nd btw.
    Did you have a point?

It was the Australian Open and while I can't be orsed figuring out the rankings of everyone that played I can tell you Spieth finished 9 in front of Adam Scott and 15 in front of Rory McIlroy.
    Rod Pampling was 2nd btw.
    Did you have a point?

Ya, it's a small tournament with not much pressure, Rod who?

Well they can't all be mega exciting but I did stay up to the end. I'll stay up to the end on Sunday no matter who wins.

As for the 66........what tees was it off? Most top pros would murder any course even off the members back tees and with "normal" green speeds.

It surely has to be off the back sticks. And as for greens, Medalist greens are said to mimic Augusta's and are always exceptionally fast and tricky. With the whole "validation" aspect, his putter must be firing hot also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Australian masters eh, who was second? How many of the top 20 played in that one?

Read the post, it was the Australian Open not the Masters. Also it has nothing to do with the field but the course he played.

BTW... Rory Mcilroy and Adam Scott were both in the field.

Rory's tweet summed it well.

"Could have played 100 rounds out there today and wouldn't have had a sniff at a 63"

I wish people would educate themselves sometimes before they post dribble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

All the top golfers have a final round 63 in them.;-)

Not on that course, on that day

Read the post, it was the Australian Open not the Masters. Also it has nothing to do with the field but the course he played.

BTW... Rory Mcilroy and Adam Scott were both in the field.

Rory's tweet summed it well.

"Could have played 100 rounds out there today and wouldn't have had a sniff at a 63"

I wish people would educate themselves sometimes before they post dribble.

Sorry, I bow to your superior knowledge of Australian golf tournaments, Open it is.

Tiger won the master by 12 shots in 97, kudos to Speith and yourself.

So if it's "the course he played" a practice round is the same as a round played during a competition on the "same course"? What you're saying is that the course is the only variable? I'm sure there are a lot of pros who would pay good money for that type of single/simple minded intuition.

I think you are wrong there. Of all sports golf is/was seen as an upper class white sport whereas in the US football and baseball is associated with the coloured and Hispanic community. If memory serves me right Tiger was either the first or second coloured member of Augusta.

I think you are in effect agreeing. Woods has "inspired" a generation to play golf but very few appear to be non-white. His colour has not made any dent in the number of black pros on the PGA tour. If anything he should have been a catalyst to change that but it just hasn't happened. My comments were in response to the comment "
    you can't underestimate, him being black playing golf" and I'll say once again that his colour has done almost nothing to change things.

Not on that course, on that day

Being sarcastic.. pre-empting any of the "all the top players are good bunker players"/ "30 foot putts are as much luck as skill" retorts.

Didn't see it either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Senecio wrote:
    His final round 63 to win the Australian Open was simply the finest round of golf anyone has played in the last 2 years.

Sorry, but jbs first round in doral wins that honour. -10 when the average was -2, blowing hard. Unbelievable golf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A corny video - but nice to see Tiger at the start when he was happy.

He says at the end what Tiger had over everyone.

It surely has to be off the back sticks. And as for greens, Medalist greens are said to mimic Augusta's and are always exceptionally fast and tricky. With the whole "validation" aspect, his putter must be firing hot also.

Maybe so........I was just asking what the conditions were as it makes a lot of difference. Back sticks may be much further forward than "tournament" sticks but I don't know. It's still a very impressive score. Are the greens always as fast as Augustas or only when tournaments are played? Anyway it's good shooting.

Maybe so........I was just asking what the conditions were as it makes a lot of difference. Back sticks may be much further forward than "tournament" sticks but I don't know. It's still a very impressive score. Are the greens always as fast as Agustas or only when tournaments are played? Anyway it's good shooting.

Suppose it's hard to know for certain. I did see the following quote regarding the greens on a course review.....

"According to staff, they're fortunate enough to be given enough great weather and the tools to keep the course in near optimum conditions year round, with greens that run 12-13 on the stimpmeter daily. At time of review, they were ranging from 12 to 12.5 and were as smooth and closely as the first green at dawn."

With the greens being as undulating as Augusta's and faster.... that 66 is alot more than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Woods, Tiger : 47/1 to win US Masters : Outright Betting

Won't be on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

When you are 100% in focus during major tournaments like Woods, then the great shots are magnified but also the poor ones, of which in recent years have been pounced on.

The 'famous' shots we all know about and remember.

He's hit some terrible shots as well, the most recent of which were his ch-yips in February.

Two ones stand out for me. 2006 at the Buick. Woods on 18th hits a block/push right.
    Faldo commentating, says it was a total mi****, Tiger got a lucky break there.
    Cue Woods criticising Faldo saying he meant to hit that exact shot etc etc. STFU basically. An insight into his ego and position within the game. A Lance Armstrong-Paul Kimmage moment.

Also in 2009, he misses the cut at the Open at Turnberry. The greatest golfer in the world, a 3 time open champion and he doesn't have a go-to stock swing to plod it around and make the cut instead he goes for everything.

Either way he will always be box office, he will always make good 'copy' with the good and the bad facets of his life and his golf. He has been the draw, he's cashed in enormously, deservedly so. His dilly dallying and reporting about playing at Augusta for me is simply attention seeking. Note: He won't win.

Falling out of the spotlight when you've been centre stage for 20 years can't be easy.

• Advertisement

Jaysus,

Reading some of these posts - I almost forgot Tiger Woods is the bloke who has won 14 majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Jaysus,

Reading some of these posts - I almost forgot Tiger Woods is the bloke who has won 14 majors.

In fairness, I don't think anyone is disputing that. His record will never be touched as regards win percentage, number of wins etc. I mean, to win almost a hundred tournaments in the modern game is crazy.

If anything, his legacy is that we now place unfair expectations on the McIlroys of the world or other young stars as they break through. We're probably not going to see another TW ever. I'm mean if Rory stopped playing today his record is up there with some great players (bar TW). Personally I think he's light years ahead of TW in "natural ability" (whatever that is !) but I don't think he'll come anywhere near his number of regular tournament wins, possibly he'll get close in majors, who knows. He just doesn't seem to have the harsh singlemindedness TW once had, but maybe he has a better overall life.

As for the miracle shots he used to hit and the fact that we don't see the Horshels/Fowlers etc hit them nowadays, that's mostly because they drive it a lot straighter and don't have to hit those shots.

There was golf before him and there will be golf after him. I always find watching him play golf an almost uncomfortable experience, you don't know whether he's going to swear, spit, bang a club, hit it straight, get a good ruling, anything. Give me Rory and Ricky going head to head any day. But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

People go on about his wins, for me it's the cut streak that's his most impressive record. After winning his first major Tiger went 9 yrs before missing a cut. Rory went 4 tournaments.

People comparing Rory to Tiger now are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Tilikum wrote: »
    People go on about his wins, for me it's the cut straight that's his most impressive record. After winning his first major Tiger went 9 yrs before missing a cut. Rory went 4 tournaments.

People comparing Rory to Tiger now are clueless.

Yep, Rory is a better swing than Tiger, he's not a better player yet, nowhere near. Tiger was/is mentally the best player the game has seen, and that includes Nicklaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Does it really matter if Rory is better or not then Tiger.

Rorys still a great player - and comparisons with Tiger won't change that imo.

Old diesel wrote: »

You're never going to remove from people's minds - who is the best.
    It happens in every sport.

Agree with above, Rory seems a bit more balanced - with friends and a mix of life outside of golf.

But - it is early for Rory - it is hard for anyone to get out of fame unscathed.

Old diesel wrote: »

Well it's always an interesting debate about the greats, so Rory as a potential future great will get compared to, and that's how he wants to be seen too.

Rory is more naturally talented than Tiger imo, his swing right now is also the best it's ever been in terms of tightening up some of the looser apsects, ie shortened backswing and right elbow now more infront of hip.

Tiger has always struggled with releasing the club, and his two way miss now is a result of never getting truly to grips with it. He also tries to murder the ball, while Rory looks like he hit a sand wedge when he's hitting the Driver after impact.

If Rory had Tigers mentality transplanted, he'd be the greatest player in the history of the game possibly, he's that good.

And that's also the reason Tiger is the greatest competitor the game has seen, maybe bar Gary Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

He announced that he intends to play

Glad to hear it as he brings a lot to viewing when he's thereabouts on a Sunday evening
    Hope he's on the road back

soundsham wrote: »
    He announced that he intends to play

Glad to hear it as he brings a lot to viewing when he's thereabouts on a Sunday evening
    Hope he's on the road back

That is a big move, Augusta when you are out of form, the chipping yips aswell, could be embarrassing. Could be inspirational for him too, either way it will be entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Commits to play The Players...

tigerwoods-stanbadz-847-sm.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement