Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Greece can do it, Ireland certainly can..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    patience patience patience!

its all a game and it aint over yet. believe it or not the imf and co are equally to blame in all the panic in fact id put more blame on their side. check out some of the podcasts i posted earlier. puts a bit of a spin on things. the whole thing seems like, you're damned if you do and damned if you dont. kinna like with what happened with ireland but i think we played the game very badly. greece is showing a lot of strength in all this. its going to be very interesting to see the overall outcome of all this

Seriously? What planet are you on? The overall outcome has been revealed. The Irish approach was right - we have economic growth and the question is how rich we will become and how low our unemployment will get. Greece has become a failed state. Would you seriously prefer to be a Greek today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

i disagree. all is not well in ireland. dont believe all what your government is telling you and what you read in our media. its been very difficult to watch austerity take hold in ireland. its actually not sustainable. we ve successfully kicked many if not all our cans down the road. our debt problems will eventually surface. i do agree with you on the debt write down though, therefore id say, they played the game very well. as you said, we didnt get a debt right down!

#wakeupsheeple

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I can't see the EU letting them go.
    I think people might have underestimated Tsipras and co.

Problem is the EU cant let greece sink, but they also cant help them further.

This is the downside of a single currency. Devaluation is not an option when countires get into debt, they wont forgive the debt so they only way is through cuts and other austerity measures.

These cuts can only go so far.

The most ironic part of it all... germany would be a third world country if the rest of europe hadnt given them massive debt forgiveness circa 1956/1957

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

micosoft wrote: »
    Seriously? What planet are you on? The overall outcome has been revealed. The Irish approach was right - we have economic growth and the question is how rich we will become and how low our unemployment will get. Greece has become a failed state. Would you seriously prefer to be a Greek today?

wow some scary people on this planet! oh here i ll post it again. please listen:

http://itsourmoney.podbean.com/

im not sure theres any clear solution to debt problems, but the ones ive seen, particularly the european ones, are unsustainable. the only thing ireland has successfully done in all this, is to accumulate more debt. we have got to stop thinking debt is the solution to our problems. its actually creating the vast majority of our problems.

wow some scary people on this planet! oh here i ll post it again. please listen:

http://itsourmoney.podbean.com/.

How lazy.

"I don't have any arguments of my own, so click this link to hear someone else's"

• Advertisement

imitation wrote: »
    This is going to be bad for greece, people think there will be some kind of Icelandic recovery after they do it, but as far as I can see the cirumstances are very different, Iceland said no from the outset, where greece has hummed and hawed the last 5 years. People will see greece as an unreliable country to do business and to invest in as they just can commit to an agreement. There are no natural resources and one of the biggest industries in shipping, one I can imagine taking a big hit if they leave. I can honestly see hyper inflation being a huge issue when its such a new and unique case. I feel sorry for thr Greeks, but its clear years of systematic abuse and treatment of government funds as free money has made the country a basket case.

The difference is that Iceland had an economy based on Fish, Energy and some tourism to fallback on.
    Greece had an economy based on ripping off the rest of Europe to pay for their lifestyle. The Russians are not that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

im not sure theres any clear solution to debt problems, but the ones ive seen, particularly the european ones, are unsustainable. the only thing ireland has successfully done in all this, is to accumulate more debt. we have got to stop thinking debt is the solution to our problems. its actually creating the vast majority of our problems.

No offence but you're talking ****e

Saipanne wrote: »
    How lazy.

"I don't have any arguments of my own, so click this link to hear someone else's"

or maybe these people do a far better job of explaining it than i do!

please listen to the podcasts. you might learn something. this is all a big game and the likes of you and i are the pawns in it, the results of which generally has disastrous effects for us all.

What problems? Our record exports? Our dramatically reducing unemployment rates? Debt to GDP reducing dramatically so by 2020 it will be lower then the UK's?

Actual answers not podcasts by loons please.

please listen to the podcasts. you might learn something. this is all a big game and the likes of you and i are the pawns in it, the results of which generally has disastrous effects for us all.

I will never listen to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Maybe you could summarise the important points.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Maybe you could summarise the important points.

ah listen to them. its just easier. theres so much info in those podcasts. im only processing it all now. i find it very hard to write stuff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    where is the run on the banks?
    people were queuing normally yesterday as far as I could see.
    the media have a habit of taking photographs and reproducing the one that fits with their story

I saw a piece on BBC world news on Thursday and a guy interviewed said there were queues in all banks with ordinary Greeks taking out whatever they could an stashing it at home. He admitted he had withdrawn every cent and most if his friends ha done likewise.
    He said they needed new government and not from the opposition who got them into this position in the first place. He said the biggest exasperation in many Greek circles is that they have no politicians who are capable of recovering them from this mess.

ah listen to them. its just easier. theres so much info in those podcasts. im only processing it all now. i find it very hard to write stuff as well

How lazy. And you expect us to take you seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭twinytwo

micosoft wrote: »

The right way?

We have a ticking time bomb of all the soverign debt that will go off 10/12 years down the line.

You think that transfering private debt to a country at the end of the day to protect gamblers was the right way?

How lazy. And you expect us to take you seriously...

hahaha dont worry, im well used to being called lazy and now i know why. best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

You can find podcasts that argue all sorts of crazy nonsense. Is there any special reason why these podcasts should be taken seriously?

You can find podcasts that argue all sorts of crazy nonsense. Is there any special reason why these podcasts should be taken seriously?

Because they agree with his worldview?

you dont have to take them serious. its like anything in life. take them or leave them, but they do put an interesting spin on things and i think these economists are onto something. i think we ve been codded folks

you dont have to take them serious. its like anything in life. take them or leave them, but they do put an interesting spin on things and i think these economists are onto something. i think we ve been codded folks
    Personally I prefer to get my information and facts from neutral sources, minus the spin.

• Advertisement

Personally I prefer to get my information and facts from neutral sources, minus the spin.

very difficult if not impossible to find neutral sources these days. can you recommend any sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You want us to listen to over 10 hours of podcasts that you aren't prepared to summarise?

No thanks.

very difficult if not impossible to find neutral sources these days. can you recommend any sources?
    BBC. The Economist. Proper journalism. Not Alex Jones-style conspiracy ranting by since unaccountable loser with an ideological axe to grind.

Phoebas wrote: »
    You want us to listen to over 10 hours of podcasts that you aren't prepared to summarise?

No thanks.

no worries. theres probably more than 10 hours there. only listened to some of them myself. this site might also interest you if you're not a podcast person:

http://ellenbrown.com/

enjoy

no worries. theres probably more than 10 hours there. only listened to some of them myself. this site might also interest you if you're not a podcast person:

enjoy

Why are you on a forum at all when you clearly have no views of your own?

Why are you on a forum at all when you clearly have no views of your own?

hahaha ah long story, personal to

enjoy
    Google Ellen Brown. She seems to be a conspiracist nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

guys, best thing to ignore wanderer78, he's more a troll than anything else, (just revealed in his last posts himself) and attention seeking people are best to ignore!!

Predicted steps this week?

Monday - Greek banks don't open
    Tuesday - Previous Bailout officially ends, IMF payment likely missed
    Wednesday - ???
    Thursday - ????
    Friday - ?????
    Saturday - A referendum occurs, which now looks to have no discernible effect on anything whatsoever, regardless of the outcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I could be wrong, but my guess is, money is already waiting in line from Mr. Putin. Don't you think?

Tsipras visited him a few weeks ago, was no secret trip, all over the media...

Advertisement