Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Greece can do it, Ireland certainly can..

Options
  • 27-01-2015 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Now that Greece has the EU quaking in their boots, whether they default or not, I think in the next election Ireland will follow suit, except we have a little more to offer ourselves.

For starters tell the IMF, ECB and the bond holders/gamblers should be told to feck off.

Get out of the EU, get rid of the euro and back to the punt, become sovereign again.

Export as much as we wish, to who we wish, do away with farmers subsidies to not grow good crops on good fertile land, most our land is wasted on doing nothing.
    Agri-facts

The land area of Ireland is 6.9 million hectares and about 4.5 million hectares of that is used for agriculture - about 64% of total land area. A total of 43% of land throughout the EU is used for agriculture according to Eurostat with some countries like Finland and Sweden using less than 10%.
    81% of agricultural area is devoted to pasture, hay and grass silage (3.67 million hectares), 11% to rough grazing (0.48 million hectares) and 8% to crops, fruit & horticulture production (0.38 million hectares).

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/key-eu-policy-areas/agriculture/index_en.htm

Do away with livestock export quotas, this quota, that quota, this cap, that cap, just basically produce and sell, sell, sell.

Let fishermen fish in our territorial waters, and bring in the haul they catch, instead of worrying about EU fines and dumping thousands of tons of edible dead fish overboard each year.
    Ireland's Ocean Wealth
    Taking the territorial seabed area into account, Ireland is one of the largest EU states; with sovereign or exclusive rights over one of the largest sea to land ratios (over 10:1) of any EU State.

http://www.imdo.ie/IMDO/business/maritime-development/

Tell Royal Dutch Shell we've changed our minds on the corrib gas field and we'll pay them back their investment so far, in time, and let our gas be our gas. We just have to hire experts, let them do their work and then pay them and say bye, bye, then some of the Irish expats that emigrated and worked in the industry may return home.

Do likewise with the potential 1.7 billion barrels of oil off the west Cork coast, create our own nationalised energy company, we have the energy, who want's to buy some,crude prices may have fallen temporary but they'll soon rise again when the US/Russia/Saudi Arabia crap is over.
    Oil Riches In Ireland Could Be Vast
    Ireland’s troubled economy received a jolt of hope last month with the news that an oil field off the achingly beautiful coast of West Cork may contain as much as 1.7 billion barrels of oil, with 280 million barrels of that recoverable in the short term at a rate of 100,000 barrels a day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmonagan/2012/11/01/black-gold-in-ireland-mindthe-eco-warriors-though/

Just an idea......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

1) the EU isn't "quaking".
    If Greece leaves the Euro, so be it.... Losing the dead weight could be the making of the currency.

2) Agricultural quotas are being phased out anyway.

3) international waters are still international waters.... Ireland exiting the EU doesn't inhibit a Portuguese trawler off Kerry 1 iota.

4) If I had 1 barrel of oil every time I heard of "potential bonanza" of oil just aching to be dug up..... I'd have 100 times more oil than has ever been extracted from Ireland.

By the by.... Greece hasn't "done" anything yet.
    They have a shotgun pointed at their own feet, but are waiting a few weeks before pulling the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

1) the EU isn't "quacking".
    Quaking.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Quaking.

That too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

5) We got our debt deal last year and by the sounds coming from Greece tonight that's the type of deal they may settle for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Greeks will be sent home with a flea in their ear. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL it's a bit early to say that the new Greek Government have achieved anything. I have a feeling that people in Greece will be saying the same as us considering all the promises of deals and standing up to Europe that Labour and Fine Gael made before they got elected. That once they got in power they realised that they had no real jiggle room at all, unless you wanted no money to keep the country going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That Forbes article is over 2 years old. Heard much about the bonanza lately?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

1) the EU isn't "quaking".

3) international waters are still international waters.... Ireland exiting the EU doesn't inhibit a Portuguese trawler off Kerry 1 iota.

Google "exclusive economic zone (EEZ)"
    It extends 200 miles, so the Portuguese trawler would be in our, not EU waters, and while your googling check out the "Cod Wars".

4) If I had 1 barrel of oil every time I heard of "potential bonanza" of oil just aching to be dug up..... I'd have 100 times more oil than has ever been extracted from Ireland.
    Well others think different.....

Europe Correspondent Ann Cahill looks at a documentary that explores Ireland’s oil and gas resources that claims the Government is being careless with the country’s precious stocks.

IRELAND is traditionally careless with its natural resources — gifting about €1bn worth of fish a year to other EU countries — and is making the same mistakes with oil and gas, according to new film Atlantic.

The documentary asks why Ireland’s original Norwegian-style gas and oil policy was dismantled by previous governments with a US government report finding that Ireland had the second lowest tax take of 142 countries studied.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/oil-and-gas-are-our-most-precious-resources-268211.html

By the by.... Greece hasn't "done" anything yet.
    They have a shotgun pointed at their own feet, but are waiting a few weeks before pulling the trigger.

They have a new Govt that won't be as silly as the last, if they do what they said they will............let's wait and see, my crystal ball needs new batteries.

smcgiff wrote: »
    That Forbes article is over 2 years old. Heard much about the bonanza lately?

Is it my fault we have an imbecile running the country the past 2 years?

Edit:
    Actually Yes....

PUBLISHED
    30/07/2014

A new survey shows there could be the equivalent of 4.5 billion barrels of oil lying beneath the seabed off the south-west coast
    There are fresh hopes of a future oil and gas bonanza for Ireland, with a new survey showing there could be the equivalent of 4.5 billion barrels of oil lying beneath the seabed off the south-west coast.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/canadian-explorers-shares-double-on-skellig-oil-and-gas-bonanza-30468749.html

A little from in between......

http://www.thejournal.ie/how-much-is-the-barryroe-oil-find-actually-worth-to-us-394108-Mar2012/

stuar wrote: »
    Google "exclusive economic zone (EEZ)"
    It extends 200 miles, so the Portuguese trawler would be in our, not EU waters, and while your googling check out the "Cod Wars".

Yeah.... Doesn't apply to fishing, as fish can move from territory to territory.

That Portuguese vessel can do as it pleases.

Well others think different.....

Europe Correspondent Ann Cahill looks at a documentary that explores Ireland’s oil and gas resources that claims the Government is being careless with the country’s precious stocks.

IRELAND is traditionally careless with its natural resources — gifting about €1bn worth of fish a year to other EU countries — and is making the same mistakes with oil and gas, according to new film Atlantic.

The documentary asks why Ireland’s original Norwegian-style gas and oil policy was dismantled by previous governments

Yeah, this is pretty much the same as Shinner policy on resources.... ie: copy Norway.

However, what the above & SF don't answer:
    1) Where does the money to create a national exploration company come from?
    2) Norway refunds up to 80% of the cost of failed explorations.
    .... Seeing as Ireland has a 100% fail rate, where would these compensatory 10's of billions come from?

They have a new Govt that won't be as silly as the last,

That last government:
    - brought their budget back to surplus
    - Grew GDP
    - Reduced unemployment.

greece-unemployment-rate.png

greece-gdp-growth.png?s=gkgnvqq

Not an easy task to say the least, but they did it.

Syriza & their principal of 'magic beans economics' have a hard act to follow.

• Advertisement

After I read shinners I stopped reading........

EDIT:

Actually I did read on,

€20 million seismic survey hopes to reveal Ireland’s true oil and gas wealth.............the water charges should cover that and get the ball rolling.........plus if we all thought like you we'd still be making square wheels........don't forget to vote FG/FF in the next election, they might get us another few hundred years debt.

And Greece HAD a great Govt?, your not Greek are you!

Goodnight, I'm off to bed.

Is it my fault we have an imbecile running the country the past 2 years?

Edit:
    Actually Yes....

PUBLISHED
    30/07/2014

A new survey shows there could be the equivalent of 4.5 billion barrels of oil lying beneath the seabed off the south-west coast
    There are fresh hopes of a future oil and gas bonanza for Ireland, with a new survey showing there could be the equivalent of 4.5 billion barrels of oil lying beneath the seabed off the south-west coast.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/canadian-explorers-shares-double-on-skellig-oil-and-gas-bonanza-30468749.html

It's not the Governments job to extract that oil is it?

Carrying out this kind of work costs a lot of money and while things can look promising they also can amount to nothing.

Just read the final parts of the article you linked to.
    But while hopes will be raised by the news from Antrim, it will be significantly tempered by a long list of exploration failures off the coast of Ireland.

Ireland's offshore exploration rush was hit with a massive blow last year when oil and gas giant Exxon said it was pulling out.

The company had been drilling a well adjacent to the Skellig block, at the Dunquin North prospect. It owned 25.5pc of the prospect, with Irish minnow Providence Resources owning 16pc.

Drilling at the Dunquin prospect had been the most highly- anticipated exploration activity ever in Ireland and there were huge hopes that it would confirm huge oil reserves.

But Exxon said that while it had found some residual oil, it had not recovered any commercially-viable hydrocarbons from the well.

No I would ask you if you were a commercial entity who will have to invest a lot of money into a project like this are you going to be compelled to do it in a country that has just reneged on its debts?

After I read shinners I stopped reading........

Shame, could have learned yourself something.

And it beats the hell out of copy/pasting 'Ireland out of the EU' fantasies perpetuated by the likes of SWP/DDI/Eirigi..... That's what Facebook is for.

gandalf wrote: »
    It's not the Governments job to extract that oil is it?

Carrying out this kind of work costs a lot of money and while things can look promising they also can amount to nothing.

Just read the final parts of the article you linked to.

No I would ask you if you were a commercial entity who will have to invest a lot of money into a project like this are you going to be compelled to do it in a country that has just reneged on its debts?

Ask Providence Resources.......

Night, Night...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The left in Greece got what the left in Ireland don't want, they were put into Government.

Like over here they told everyone what they wanted to hear, now that they are actually given the job of running the country it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I heard the new nominee for Greek finance minister on Newstalk this morning and I have to say, I found him eloquent and intelligent - a far cry from the leftist parties that we have here. Vitally, I draw some interesting points of distinction:

1) Greece will not leave the Eurozone by choice;
    2) Greece will not default on their debt (they intend to negotiate rather than threaten);
    3) Greece will not leave the taxpayer on the hook for their actions (at home or in other Member States).

This is markedly stark in contrast with SF and the other leftists in Ireland. Firstly, I don't think there is a single person who could go on the radio and be as blunt, honest and straightforward as this man. Secondly, our leftist parties do not have a clear plan nor do they have an aim to ensure that we are not further damaged by their actions.

I have to say if this guy was running in Ireland, even I would consider voting for him!

2) Greece will not default on their debt (they intend to negotiate rather than threaten);
    3) Greece will not leave the taxpayer on the hook for their actions (at home or in other Member States).

Welcome to hear.

But its not what they were saying in opposition.

It seems the rhetoric of the left is utterly incompatible with good governance.

Ask Providence Resources.......

Night, Night...

Typical avoiding the question.

I heard the new nominee for Greek finance minister on Newstalk this morning and I have to say, I found him eloquent and intelligent - a far cry from the leftist parties that we have here. Vitally, I draw some interesting points of distinction:

This is markedly stark in contrast with SF and the other leftists in Ireland. Firstly, I don't think there is a single person who could go on the radio and be as blunt, honest and straightforward as this man. Secondly, our leftist parties do not have a clear plan nor do they have an aim to ensure that we are not further damaged by their actions.

I have to say if this guy was running in Ireland, even I would consider voting for him!
    Link for anyone interested in listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gandalf wrote: »
    LOL it's a bit early to say that the new Greek Government have achieved anything.

Paul Murphy believes austerity ended at the time of election, and unlimited money was also delivered at that point.

• Advertisement

And what happens WHEN the EU tells them, we'd actually like all our money back, thanks.

That's the impasse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

And what happens WHEN the EU tells them, we'd actually like all our money back, thanks.

That's the impasse.
    That would amount to the EU forcing Greece into unilateral action.

That's the impasse.

My gut feeling is that there will be a suspension of the debt until Greece / Ireland are in net surplus.

My gut feeling is that there will be a suspension of the debt until Greece / Ireland are in net surplus.

Both countries are back in primary surplus already.

The overall deficit is just down to debt servicing

It would probably take Ireland 3-4 more years to reach full surplus..... Greece, probably longer.

Both countries are back in primary surplus already.

The overall deficit is just down to debt servicing

It would probably take Ireland 3-4 more years to reach full surplus..... Greece, probably longer.
    I did mean full surplus sorry. Re primary surplus,
    both are notional though aren't they?

what could be the other milestone for an epic kick down the road?

dlouth15 wrote: »
    That would amount to the EU forcing Greece into unilateral action.

No, the choice still remains with Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

That's the impasse.
    Greece cant afford to pay it back at the present terms so there will have to be a big restructure ......ie kick the debt years down the road so its never probably going to be paid back!
    in the meantime its time for the EU to get the check book out again
    Greece have a better hand to play than we think.

oceanman wrote: »
    Greece cant afford to pay it back at the present terms so there will have to be a big restructure ......ie kick the debt years down the road so its never probably going to be paid back!
    in the meantime its time for the EU to get the check book out again
    Greece have a better hand to play than we think.

I imagine Greece will indeed get an elongated term of repayment.... & probably get a lower interest rate.

However, if they think they can get another write down on the capital and beg for more money and go back to a budget deficit, they will be politely told: no.

You can't act tough to the bank manager one day & beg for more help the next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

The left in Greece got what the left in Ireland don't want, they were put into Government.

Eh...aren't Labour still claiming to be left? To be fair in practice, no, but still.
    Like over here they told everyone what they wanted to hear, now that they are actually given the job of running the country it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Great switcharoo there boss. Surely you mean Fine Gael? You can't accuse our 'da left', (Shredder, Skeletor and C.O.B.R.A, as I imagine you and others on here view 'the left') of making pre-election promises and not following through. That's Fine Gael territory and to the extent they can be still viewed as a viable party at all, labour.

Long may we continue to allow Fianna Fail push us over the abyss, get scolded by Fine Gael and bring Fianna Fail back in!

Advertisement