Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Greece can do it, Ireland certainly can..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bailout expires Tuesday, the greeks want an extension until the referendum but the EU and Merkel's party are saying that's virtually impossible (as it would have to be approved by various national parliaments including Germany).

So even if the Greeks vote Yes, they'll default on the IMF on Tuesday, the ECB are likely to withdraw emergency funding once the bailout expires and they'll be back to square one in the negotiations. This is a serious mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

What did Krugman have to say about Ireland again? Suppose it depends which way the wind was blowing on a particular day.

Is that a long queue for an ATM on a Friday night?
    And if they do default and leave the Euro it is going to get a lot worse, probably more than most imagine. But it may be the only way they can eventually turn around their economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

At least greek holidays will be cheaper...

But in all seriousness, we are heading towards the most important week to month in terms of the euro with the whole world watching greece. There are many scenarios which might happen and after being in New York with buddies last week they seem to think that if greece exit the dollar will grow stronger than the euro for a considerable time leading to increased investment in europe.

Every cloud and all that, perhaps a greek exit is the making of the euro and could inadvertently pull Ireland well and truly around the corner.

What did Krugman have to say about Ireland again? Suppose it depends which way the wind was blowing on a particular day.
    Well he's an economist so I think you have to make allowances :). But what if he, like Munchau, is right about Greece? What if after a year or so of difficulties and having devalued, the Greek economy starts to turn around? Of course we will have to wait and see, but in the arguably unlikely event that that did happen, what would that say about the Euro project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hope the lefty lunatics that follow Paul Murphy and other equally misinformed gombeens are paying very very close attention. Although their go to trick seems to be blame everyone else and then ignore any awkward questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Very scary and sad...

CIdnNKmUYAAVsSg.jpg

Banks surely won't be opening on Monday. Where does Greece stand for now?

It looks like a regular queue at an ATM to me. No one looking particularly stressed.

In a situation like this of course people are going to withdraw their money.

I personally clear my bank account every month once my direct debits are gone through. I use mainly cash to pay for everything I don't buy on line. Have been doing this since 2009.

loyatemu wrote: »
    So even if the Greeks vote Yes, they'll default on the IMF on Tuesday, the ECB are likely to withdraw emergency funding once the bailout expires and they'll be back to square one in the negotiations. This is a serious mess.
    Where has this meme come from?

It has been clarified so many times in reputable financial and (respectable) Greek media that it's not true, yet ordinary newspapers ignore it altogether.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite2_1_01/05/2015_549628

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-15/greek-bailout-loans-can-t-trigger-default-with-standard-poor-s

Not only is a missed IMF payment not a default in the eyes of CRAs, it is not a default in the eyes of the IMF.

Does someone needs to put this on a banner outside newspaper editors' windows before Tara Street or Fleet Street actually acknowledge it?

I suppose it's too boring for print. It makes the crisis seem less catastrophic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

It looks like a regular queue at an ATM to me. No one looking particularly stressed.
    hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

In a situation like this of course people are going to withdraw their money.

I personally clear my bank account every month once my direct debits are gone through. I use mainly cash to pay for everything I don't buy on line. Have been doing this since 2009.

Why?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

OK, I'll bite, what event in 2009 lead you to adapt this approach???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I suppose it's too boring for print. It makes the crisis seem less catastrophic.

Greek bonds are junk already, it really does not matter what the agencies do...

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Well he's an economist so I think you have to make allowances :). But what if he, like Munchau, is right about Greece? What if after a year or so of difficulties and having devalued, the Greek economy starts to turn around? Of course we will have to wait and see, but in the arguably unlikely event that that did happen, what would that say about the Euro project?
    We'll see if it happens.

However the point that some like to ignore is that last year things had started to turn around for Greece. Unemployment fell a little, the government ran a surplus and GDP even increased. Elect these jokers, tax take falls, unemployment up again, GDP falling again, and another crisis of their own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

best of luck to the greeks. the only country in europe that has bigger balls than mr. merkels!

might interest some here:

http://itsourmoney.podbean.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    best of luck to the greeks. the only country in europe that has bigger balls than mr. merkels!

might interest some here:

http://itsourmoney.podbean.com/

I can't see the EU letting them go.
    I think people might have underestimated Tsipras and co.

I can't see the EU letting them go.
    I think people might have underestimated Tsipras and co.

the game is still in play. lets see what happens. both parties playing it very well. im just glad at least one country is standing up and fighting back, but in saying that, it could all go horribly wrong for them. who knows. its a risky game for both sides. very interesting to watch though

We'll see if it happens.

However the point that some like to ignore is that last year things had started to turn around for Greece. Unemployment fell a little, the government ran a surplus and GDP even increased. Elect these jokers, tax take falls, unemployment up again, GDP falling again, and another crisis of their own making.
    The problem is that under whatever regime might be agreed upon, there's probably no way Greece could sustain it no matter who is elected. The sorts of surpluses originally proposed are pretty much unheard of in industrialized countries and unlikely Greece could sustain them without further deterioration of the economy.

I think the assumption we need to question is that those negotiating with Greece genuinely wanted what would put Greece on a sustainable track to paying back its debts. Some of the measures like increasing taxes on Greek islands would have damaged tourism and made such payments harder. I think these were suggested not because it maximized the chance of a return for the lenders but rather that politicians could be seen to be being tough with Greece which would have been popular with the electorates.

All that could have achieved in these negotiations would have been a postponement of default to another year when the whole thing would have started again.

interesting tweets from mcwilliams:

https://twitter.com/davidmcw

interesting tweets from mcwilliams:

https://twitter.com/davidmcw
    I used to have time for McWilliams, but I've come to the sorry conclusion that he's just an entertainer. He's an to Economics what Top Gear is to cars.

I used to have time for McWilliams, but I've come to the sorry conclusion that he's just an entertainer. He's an to Economics what Top Gear is to cars.

ah no hes onto something. im convinced. finally made it to kilkenomics before christmas. we re in big trouble with all this. hes a very good communicator. top gear is good fun though. check out the podcasts i linked earlier. very interesting stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

the game is still in play. lets see what happens. both parties playing it very well. im just glad at least one country is standing up and fighting back, but in saying that, it could all go horribly wrong for them. who knows. its a risky game for both sides. very interesting to watch though

In what world have Syriza played it well. There's a run on the banks with ordinary Greeks terrified of what's going to happen next week with their savings and pensions. Meanwhile the glorious leader calls pointless and quite possibly illegal referendums on a question that hasn't even been thought up. Meanwhile formal default is hurtling towards them after which they will be the paupers of Europe for the foreseeable future. How is any of that good.

• Advertisement

In what world have Syriza played it well. There's a run on the banks with ordinary Greeks terrified of what's going to happen next week with their savings and pensions. Meanwhile the glorious leader calls pointless and quite possibly illegal referendums on a question that hasn't even been thought up. Meanwhile formal default is hurtling towards them after which they will be the paupers of Europe for the foreseeable future. How is any of that good.

patience patience patience!

its all a game and it aint over yet. believe it or not the imf and co are equally to blame in all the panic in fact id put more blame on their side. check out some of the podcasts i posted earlier. puts a bit of a spin on things. the whole thing seems like, you're damned if you do and damned if you dont. kinna like with what happened with ireland but i think we played the game very badly. greece is showing a lot of strength in all this. its going to be very interesting to see the overall outcome of all this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

As a negotiating tactic, it's great. It helps convince people (and politicians) that they may actually be reckless enough to go through with a complete Euro exit, even if it's not their intention. The referendum additionally looks like a potentially successful bid to shift more of the pressure for a deal on to the creditors.

Peanut wrote: »
    As a negotiating tactic, it's great.
    Unless, as it appears, they've bluffed themselves out of the game and onto the street without a shirt on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

This is going to be bad for greece, people think there will be some kind of Icelandic recovery after they do it, but as far as I can see the cirumstances are very different, Iceland said no from the outset, where greece has hummed and hawed the last 5 years. People will see greece as an unreliable country to do business and to invest in as they just can commit to an agreement. There are no natural resources and one of the biggest industries in shipping, one I can imagine taking a big hit if they leave. I can honestly see hyper inflation being a huge issue when its such a new and unique case. I feel sorry for thr Greeks, but its clear years of systematic abuse and treatment of government funds as free money has made the country a basket case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

where is the run on the banks?
    people were queuing normally yesterday as far as I could see.
    the media have a habit of taking photographs and reproducing the one that fits with their story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the media have a habit of taking photographs and reproducing the one that fits with their story

This isn't normal
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-27/greeks-line-up-at-banks-and-drain-atms-after-tsipras-calls-vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

nice_guy80 wrote: »

?? just listen or watch to some news on CNN, BBC or wherever. There is a bank run, ordinary people like you and me are queuing to get their money out of atm's. greece is putting police men at atm's and banks in case of riots.

this behaviour of greece is very strange.
    greece must have a back up plan, otherwise they wouldn't act like they act. And my guess is the greek back up plan lies direction east...

i do feel for the greek people here, this must be a very difficult time for them but in the long run, this actually might be the best thing for them. who knows. only time will tell. im sure there will be a few years of very difficult times for them but it may all settle down after that. i dont think anybody really knows whats gonna happen. we re all just speculating. i think they played the game very well.

i think they played the game very well.
    They've played it disastrously. Even though we started in a better place than they did, comparing our economic performance to theirs over the last 5 years should tell you all you need to know. And bear in mind that they benefited from a 100 billion euro debt write-off that we didn't get.

• Advertisement

They've played it disastrously. Even though we started in a better place than they did, comparing our economic performance to theirs over the last 5 years should tell you all you need to know. And bear in mind that they benefited from a 100 billion euro debt write-off that we didn't get.

i disagree. all is not well in ireland. dont believe all what your government is telling you and what you read in our media. its been very difficult to watch austerity take hold in ireland. its actually not sustainable. we ve successfully kicked many if not all our cans down the road. our debt problems will eventually surface. i do agree with you on the debt write down though, therefore id say, they played the game very well. as you said, we didnt get a debt right down!

Advertisement