Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Nally is attacked again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh please don't let what I actually wrote get in the way of your bleeding heart rhetoric.

Why should he?

I mean you didn't let what he actually wrote:
    floggg wrote: »
    Yes, it must have been very hard for him standing over a wounded and man and shooting him dead.

get in the way of your rhetoric:
    Oh away with the lefty nonsense for just once. Why was said wounded man there? To give him flowers? Oh wait... no... he was there to rob him blind and likely worse given said "man's" (many)previous* and the previous intimidation of Mr Nally. The lefty nonsense of "all property is theft" and "shure what can you do and shure won't insurance cover it" doesn't begin to illustrate the terror many elderly and not so elderly people feel in isolated areas of this country.

Said "man" had eighty convictions. Eighty. And those were only the crimes he was found out and found guilty of. Eighty FFS. And yet he was free to raom abroad to commit more crimes. Insanity. Did he deserve being shot? Debatable, he certainly deserved to be in a gaol cell for life to keep his sort from the rest of human society. And he ended up shot to death because he wasn't taken out of normal human society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I'm a namby pamby lefty liberal, and I think that what Nally did was probably the right thing.

Also, I would take issue with those claiming that people are bashing travellers in this thread. People don't have a problem with travellers, they have a problem with violent criminals robbing the elderly and unprotected.

It's not a huge leap to say that Ward and his son didn't imagine that Nally would defend himself so strongly, they probably thought they could easily intimidate an elderly man into giving up whatever he had of value. Their mistake, they paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Those ignoring the courts verdict because "they know better" have themselves turned in to the vigilantes they claim to disagree with

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Patsprat wrote: »
    no Garda presents in the countryside some areas haven't even got police cars

Not just the countryside. I live in a town, Christmas came and went without any presents from the Gardai. Not even a card on my birthday do I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

bjork wrote: »
    Those ignoring the courts verdict because "they know better" have themselves turned in to the vigilantes they claim to disagree with

Yes, we are really talking the law into our own hands here expressing our non-violent opinions on a public forum.

Our wrath knows no bounds :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes, we are really talking the law into our own hands here expressing our non-violent opinions on a public forum.

Our wrath knows no bounds :rolleyes:

It´s the same mindset being complained about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

P. Nally was acquitted of all crimes.

bjork wrote: »
    It´s the same mindset being complained about.

It's really not even close.

Expressing the view that nobody has the right to take the law into their own hands doesn't make you a vigilante.

It's the taking the law into your own hands that does.

Expressing the view that nobody has the right to take the law into their own hands doesn't make you a vigilante.

He was acquitted. He was within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

He didnt take the law into his own hands, he acted within the bounds of the law, his actions were judged to be lawful and reasonable by a jury of his peers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

What are his tadpoles getting up to these Days?

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    He didnt take the law into his own hands, he acted within the bounds of the law, his actions were judged to be lawful and reasonable by a jury of his peers.

Based on his own description of events, I consider him to have taken the law into his own hands and willfully killed the man when in no immediate danger.

I am entitled to do so, as would a different a jury on the day have been so entitled.

Regardless, expressing that view doesn't in any way make me a vigilante, and the suggestion I was acting like one was absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Don't forget Ward had a history of domestic abuse although his wife considered it to be 'play bating', good riddance and well done Mr Nally.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Based on his own description of events, I consider him to have taken the law into his own hands and willfully killed the man when in no immediate danger.

I am entitled to do so, as would a different a jury on the day have been so entitled.

Regardless, expressing that view doesn't in any way make me a vigilante, and the suggestion I was acting like one was absurd.

No immediate danger with a guy trespassing on his property who had 80 convictions, many of which were violent?

Are you for real?

awec wrote: »
    No immediate danger with a guy trespassing on his property who had 80 convictions, many of which were violent?

Are you for real?

You mean the guy he had already shot and beaten, and who was trying to get off his land ASAP?

Yes, I am.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You mean the guy he had already shot and beaten, and who was trying to get off his land ASAP?

Yes, I am.

Well then you're talking nonsense and are not worth taking seriously.

Yes, I am.

Get off his land to either get a weapon from the van or go and round up another shower of thugs to come back and kill Nally. Finishing him off is the reason Padraig Nally is still alive today.

It's only a pity he had to waste more than one shot on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

case885 wrote: »
    He said in that interview/show with charlie bird that he's not allowed own a gun.

True at the time of the interview, not true now!
    Since his acquittal he is entitled to his shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Are you for real?

A harmless ould lad who once attacked a car with a slash-hook while a woman and two children were inside.
    Eighty, various convictions, and three warrants out for his arrest at the time of his death, one of which was for brandishing a slash hook at guards that came to his halting site.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070928081023/http://www.96fm.ie/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=67035&pt=n
    Get off his land to either get a weapon from the van or go and round up another shower of thugs to come back and kill Nally.

At the least he was coming back with a slash hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

The deceased was a violent criminal, with 80 convictions and who had previously attacked Gardai twice with a slash hook. He was an alcoholic, a drug addict and he suffered from hearing voices in his head(schizophrenic?). He was a bare knuckle fighter who preyed on the elderly, robbed them and who beat them up after.

Mr. Nally was a 60 something year old farmer who had never come to the attention of the Gardai beforehand. He was living in his shed, petrified, after being terrorised by the deceased for months. His house was burgled numerous times. Three elderly people in the immediate area had been tortured and murdered during such break ins. To say the man was petrified is somewhat of an understatement.

For those saying that Mr. Nally was wrong on the night in question, I'd like them to put yourselves in Mr. Nallys shoes. You find the now deceased trying to break into your front door. You try and fend him off. He's much more powerful than you and won't stay down. You're scared for your life, you've been terrorised for months, you're afraid that the now deceased will return again and again. The Gardai have been utterly useless in protecting you.

What would you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have no quarrels with him taking the first shot, and would defend his right to do so.

Once the thief was down and injured, he only needed to pick up the phone and call the Gardai. Regardless of whether the man lived or died from that point, i would have been in full agreement with what he did.

Self defence or defence of property rights is one thing. Taking the decision to unnecessarily take a mans life - that's another thing entirely and something I will never condone.

The person he shot should should have been arrested and jailed if he was attempting to steal from him. But last I checked we didn't he capital punishment in this state, nor was Patrick Nally empowered by anybody to administer justice.

Maybe I'm just a crazy leftist though, what with my respect for life and all.

(Good insult by the way whoever called me that. It's not only stinging, but also shows you are clearly an informed individual with an understanding of political and moral beliefs)

Well, I would be a "lefty liberal" where a lot of things are concerned. But frankly, I applaud what Mr Nally did. After all, we are talking about someone who's life was made a living hell by members of our society for whom law has no real meaning.

Mr Nally, who had been tormented by the Wards on numerous occasions, was entirely correct to try an put an end to that situation and had I been in the same circumstance, I would be willing to bet that I'd do the exact same thing.

As for the Gardai, they had their chance to arrest and jail Ward before he decided to invade Nally's home several times. In fact, they had over 80 chances and they failed to do anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tony EH wrote: »
    As for the Gardai, they had their chance to arrest and jail Ward before he decided to invade Nally's home several times. In fact, they had over 80 chances and they failed to do anything.
    I'm with you on the rest of your post T, but not this part. It's not, or rarely is the Guard's fault. After all they arrested him at least 80 times and secured 80 convictions, with evidence and such. Given they often face slash hooks too... They're not the people responsible for keeping individuals like him out of gaol, the judiciary are. They and the overall system is what failed here and continues to fail to this day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes, I am.

Do you really believe that Ward would have let that situation lie?

In all probability he and his cohorts would have been back the next night, or soon after and it would have been a dead P. Nally that made the papers and "Frog" Ward would still be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yes, I am.

I can see where you're coming from and agree to a certain extent.

Nally essentially made a conscious decision to finish Ward off and I personally don't much like the gung-ho nature of the crowing about it in here.

In addition, despite all the talk of Nally being a terrified wreck, his statements seem to point to the fact that he pretty much decided to eliminate Ward.

I can honestly understand why he did it though and I too would have found it very hard to convict the guy. It's basically a policing vacuum whereby serial, violent and pretty irredeemable criminals are in circulation to offend ad infinitum until they kill somebody.

And I say that as pretty much a card-carrying so-called lefty liberal, albeit one that thinks the bogus designation of 'culture' to the widespread - near critical - issues in traveler society is farcical and does nobody any favours, not least travelers brought up in that 'culture'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

endacl wrote: »
    They should be sentenced to transportation to Australia. Leave decent people alone.

Oh..

No...

Wait...

Nah, the aussies will just sentence them to transportation to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Looking at the headstone I'd have to say crime pays.......... http://omg.wthax.org/johnward.jpg

What size will Nally's headstone be?

I'm with you on the rest of your post T, but not this part. It's not, or rarely is the Guard's fault. After all they arrested him at least 80 times and secured 80 convictions, with evidence and such. Given they often face slash hooks too... They're not the people responsible for keeping individuals like him out of gaol, the judiciary are. They and the overall system is what failed here and continues to fail to this day.

I agree. Change "Gardai" for "The Law".

I've had many an eye rolling conversation with members of the Gardai and the difficulties they face in getting a meaningful conviction on known criminals, such as "Frog" Ward.

On the one hand, I consider it a relatively good thing, as it makes a wrongful conviction difficult, but on the other hand, we have situations where known career criminals walk in one door of a court and out the other on the same day and are simply laughing at the, often, impotent nature of the law to successfully prosecute.

Then for far, far, too many of these people, it's simply back to "work". Situation normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

mikom wrote: »
    Looking at the headstone I'd have to say crime pays.......... http://omg.wthax.org/johnward.jpg

What size will Nally's headstone be?

Why has that figure (back-facing) got two arses on its back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well then you're talking nonsense and are not worth taking seriously.

To be fair it's a lot easier to shoot someone in the back when they're running away. If I was going to shoot someone that's how I'd do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mikom wrote: »
    Looking at the headstone I'd have to say crime pays..........
    To be fair that's a cultural thing. I know settled traveler folks who are honest and hard working as the day is long and they had very ostentatious headstones and funeral services.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement