Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Nally is attacked again!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Stinicker wrote: »
    With America's huge population then you will always have unfortunate incidents. In Ireland due to our lower population you would have far less incidents, the criminals in Ireland already are armed and the populace should be able to fight back to defend themselves if they want.

Every country has an underbelly of pure scum and law abiding citizens should be given full reign to defend themselves.

If more ordinary citizens were armed then you'd see more dead scumbags and less dead ordinary citizens. There is no police station where I live and I might aswell be living in the Wild West of Texas in 1850, the Gardai do what they do but the justice system is on the side of the Criminal and against the ordinary man.

There is no justice in Ireland and until the death sentence is brought back and a 3 strikes rule implemented then nothing will change because scumbags like these are afraid of noone. On your third offense you get a minimum ten - fifteen year stretch without parole.

I don't blame the Guards, they do their best I blame the Judges and the Legal System, Gardai here get treated with savage abuse and if you treated a Police Man in America like I've seen some Gardai treated then most likely you'd get shot.

Completely agree. 3 strikes should equal ten years, if you're caught again when you get out then back in you go for a refresher course of ten more. The jail should also be sparse as hell with no amenities bar day jobs and kept no warmer than 17 degrees. Wouldn't be long getting the message across to the scum of this country. Their lazy welfare loving asses aren't a patch on the real hardend criminals in other countries where people are fighting for survival. It wouldn't take long to soften their cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Firstly, I am in full agreement with your general view of the severity of the punishment that should be dished out to certain offenders.

The issue I have is in relation to imprisonment; specifically, the cost of keeping someone locked up. I do not feel that such offenders deserve the luxury of being housed in a jail for a cost of €65k (2013 figure) per year. To be honest, I would rather let the vermin run free and give them 20k to alleviate the burden on the taxpayer of keeping them in jail. But I also do not believe in the death penalty so I have decided that the best way to deal with repeat offenders is to essentially run the prisons like battery farms. Prisons will be cheaper to run depending on either the length of time the person is due to be in prison or else the number of offences they have committed. Although, honestly, the battery prisons should be reserved for repeat offenders and the long serving, low offenders can have the current prison system.

The two benefits I see in this are;

1) save money for the taxpayer who essentially fund the career criminal through social welfare and prison accommodation fees; and
    2) judges will be less likely to suspend sentences for repeat offenders as the cost factor in imprisoning them is no longer an issue (this means that those career criminals who 'understand the system' i.e. how to run a case so as to get bail to attend a cousin's christening or merely avoid a jail sentence can no longer afford to be so casual when confronted with a summons).

There are, presumably, human rights issues to address but this can be overcome with a simple supplementary provision dealing with those who are convicted of violating the human rights of others.

That sheriff in arizona who made a prison out of tents had the right idea. Buttons cheap. Imagine scum in there on a night like tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Stinicker wrote: »
    With America's huge population then you will always have unfortunate incidents. In Ireland due to our lower population you would have far less incidents, the criminals in Ireland already are armed and the populace should be able to fight back to defend themselves if they want.

Every country has an underbelly of pure scum and law abiding citizens should be given full reign to defend themselves.

If more ordinary citizens were armed then you'd see more dead scumbags and less dead ordinary citizens. There is no police station where I live and I might aswell be living in the Wild West of Texas in 1850, the Gardai do what they do but the justice system is on the side of the Criminal and against the ordinary man.

There is no justice in Ireland and until the death sentence is brought back and a 3 strikes rule implemented then nothing will change because scumbags like these are afraid of noone. On your third offense you get a minimum ten - fifteen year stretch without parole.

I don't blame the Guards, they do their best I blame the Judges and the Legal System, Gardai here get treated with savage abuse and if you treated a Police Man in America like I've seen some Gardai treated then most likely you'd get shot.

I've never met Noone but he sure sounds scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Is the documentary with Charlie Bird, "Padraig Nally - After the headlines", available to watch anywhere on the web? I was offside and out of the country at the time it was aired, so never got to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Is the documentary with Charlie Bird, "Padraig Nally - After the headlines", available to watch anywhere on the web? I was offside and out of the country at the time it was aired, so never got to see it.

It was on again only a few months ago, good insight into Nally himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

case885 wrote: »
    It was on again only a few months ago, good insight into Nally himself.

I saw that too. Nally came across is a gentleman but I thought Charlie Bird came across as a bit a patronizing git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

josip wrote: »

Well we aren't near that situation, that's the polar opposite to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Relax OP, it's their culture. Don't you know that? You bringing this up is just racism and bigotry.

Advertisement