Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Schmidt's next big goal should be a big world cup performance and then hopefully look at coaching the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Schmidt's next big goal should be a big world cup performance and then hopefully look at coaching the Lions.
    ...with Jonathan Davies dropped for the 3rd test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Is coaching the Lions that big of an honor anymore for a coach?

I don't really see that massive an honor. Ok Sky big it up but that is because they pay big money to show it.

Maybe it might be because it is against the All Black but if it was in South Africa would Joe really care? It would mean more time away from his family and he has already said one of the reasons for the Irish job is because he would have more time with his family. Maybe it is just me but from an Irish fans point of view I couldn't care less if Joe got or didn't get the Lions job, actually would probably prefer he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

IRFU should be throwing everything at Schmidt to keep him. I've never seen rugby as popular as it is right now in the country, in part due to social media but mainly due to the success of the team. If the success can keep on going for another year or two I'd be hopeful many will progress from just being 6N viewers to being CC viewers, and then regular attendees at games.

I'd never seen Gilroy's nominated try

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Is coaching the Lions that big of an honor anymore for a coach?

I don't really see that massive an honor. Ok Sky big it up but that is because they pay big money to show it.

Maybe it might be because it is against the All Black but if it was in South Africa would Joe really care? It would mean more time away from his family and he has already said one of the reasons for the Irish job is because he would have more time with his family. Maybe it is just me but from an Irish fans point of view I couldn't care less if Joe got or didn't get the Lions job, actually would probably prefer he didn't.

Yeah it's a massive accolade. You only get it if you're considered the best coach in the home nations, then you go down to the big three and flaunt your stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's hard to think that Gilroy is only 24, he's 105 caps for Ulster!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ranger, Rokococo and David Smith have been added to the barbarians team to play Ireland. (or to play a combination of Leinster and connacht)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ranger, Rokococo and David Smith have been added to the barbarians team to play Ireland. (or to play a combination of Leinster and connacht)

On the outside chance Connacht reach playoffs for EPCR, could just be Leinster.

Darragh Fanning likes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's hard to think that Gilroy is only 24, he's 105 caps for Ulster!

He has really been a class act this season.

I thought he slipped into the shadows of Bowe and Trimble and thats somewhat understandable with Trimbles last season performance. He was unreal.

However, Gilroy has really stood up this season... record try scorer with 12? trys. He cuts lovely angles, look at his try vs Munster in the QF too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Ulster and/or Munster lose their semi-finals maybe some of the players could be involved with Ireland. Thursday is a short turnaround from a Friday/Saturday semi-final mind.

They have been offering 2-for-1 tickets recently so tickets are obviously struggling to sell. A Thursday night rules out people travelling to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Ulster and/or Munster lose their semi-finals maybe some of the players could be involved with Ireland. Thursday is a short turnaround from a Friday/Saturday semi-final mind.

They have been offering 2-for-1 tickets recently so tickets are obviously struggling to sell. A Thursday night rules out people travelling to it.

Like a lot of things this season it is bizarre timing.

Is it gonna be on de telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Is it gonna be on de telly?

Think Sky usually cover the Barbarians end of season soiree.

bilston wrote: »
    Think Sky usually cover the Barbarians end of season soiree.

RTE had it the last time they played Ireland in Thomond. But IRFU have signed that deal with Sky now...

EDIT: Sky have it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Doubt that will help get numbers through the gates.

Two years ago today, since the second coming of Christ in Joe Schmidt.

Hail the Saviour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I know Schmidt is an excellent coach but it always helps to have excellent players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pass the bucket!

:pac:

Buer wrote: »
    Pass the bucket!

:pac:

You mean the collection plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was walking to work this morning and realised how excited I am now for the world cup. I got lucky in that I live in the UK, and specifically between London-Cardiff so in about as good a place as it gets, and now Ireland are turning out to be quite good at rugby.

At what point are we allowed to start fueling the hype train?

I was walking to work this morning and realised how excited I am now for the world cup. I got lucky in that I live in the UK, and specifically between London-Cardiff so in about as good a place as it gets, and now Ireland are turning out to be quite good at rugby.

Yesterday.

I need to make an effort to get over for a game... It'd be an absolute shame if it's on our doorstep and I can't get to a game. The tickets are just silly money tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I need to make an effort to get over for a game... It'd be an absolute shame if it's on our doorstep and I can't get to a game. The tickets are just silly money tho.

They are certainly expensive, but it's an event that happens once every 4 years, close to home every 8 and this time out we're quite good.

In my opinion if you can afford it, i.e. you won't miss a mortgage payment or the kids go hungry as a result, then it's worth the cost.
    Get flights, hotel and ticket sorted now and you have months to pay it off.

Heading to Romania game myself, flight, hotel and ticket (not cheapest tier either) 310 all in.

%252083713d1372454031-halfhuman-ironflex-ultra-starsky-hutch-do%2520.att

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Party in ibf's?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stupidly expensive yeah.

But feck it I have tickets for both QFs, flights and accom all paid for now so I won't care about the cost come October!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I just couldn't justify the cost....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I got lucky in that I live in the UK

Well at least you can find the positives ;)

I think without even getting to go to a game, the atmosphere around the country should be great - it'd be nice if the IRFU setup some kind of temporary spot where people could congregate outdoors to watch the match - bit like Henman hill during Wimbledon.

I vaguely remember 1991 (I'd have been 8) where they had events even in my village to get people excited - I know there isn't a match here like that one, but this could be the greatest advert for Irish rugby ever, so hopefully the hype machine will be going overdrive

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Party in ibf's?

Hah I already have every bedroom promised away as well as potential garden campers.

• Advertisement

I live in England, yet it will take me longer to get to most Ireland games than people getting there from home!

Playing the waiting game on tickets in any case. (i.e, none bought, none will be bought until the weeks/days before games).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement