Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

MJohnston wrote: »
    If ye had to pick and Ireland match to attend - Canada or Romania?

Romania simply due to the fact it is on in Wembley. Won't get to do that often

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Strauss has shown flashes of excellence this year, he adds a a lot in the scrums and at the breakdown. His throwing has been dodgy since his return though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

its_phil wrote: »
    He's a good player alright but fantastic is OTT for me. I wouldn't miss him in an Ireland squad right now TBH and he's firmly hooker #3 at the least not considering Cronin being out for 3 months

would agree with that but he will get a run of games now with Cronin out and (if he stays fit) can show us where he is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭blackdog1

.ak wrote: »
    Honestly, Strauss has been pretty poor lately, but injuries haven't helped.

However, this 'he's just picking him because he has more experience with him' excuse is getting tiresome.

Strauss, even in poor form, is a fantastic rugby player. In good form he's one of the best hookers in Europe.

Strauss needs a good pre season. He was out with a bad hamstring injury and then he had the heart problems aswell. He has had no injury free run unfortunately. He's the most complete hooker besides best when on form.

He's a good player alright but fantastic is OTT for me. I wouldn't miss him in an Ireland squad right now TBH and he's firmly hooker #3 at the least not considering Cronin being out for 3 months

I think you're actually agreeing with the main point here.
    awec wrote: »
    Yea I'd be shocked if it's not Best, Strauss and Cronin.
    Strauss hasn't come close to hitting previous heights, but he is experienced under Joe so there is no chance that he will miss out.

MG suggesting that he's not firmly 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I think you're actually agreeing with the main point here.

MG suggesting that he's not firmly 3rd.

Hadn't read MG post, was responding solely to ak who I think is slightly overrating him

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah you wouldn't miss him right now. But in form he's pushing Best imo. But he's never actually had a good run of form since he's been IQ due to injury/heart surgery. Not sure how you can saw fantastic is OTT. Maybe it's a semantics thing, but I'm hardly saying he's a world beater or anything. I think fantastic is fair enough, in 2011/12 when he was on form he was easily one of the best hookers in europe imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Strauss is a better hooker than Sean Cronin and in my opinion would have been the starting hooker for Leinster this season but for injuries. Cronin will still likely beat him for the bench spot as long as they're in competition as Cronin has added impact value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Impact value is definitely one of those stupid intangibles that nerds always win with in "top trumps"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Hagz wrote: »
    Strauss is a better hooker than Sean Cronin and in my opinion would have been the starting hooker for Leinster this season but for injuries. Cronin will still likely beat him for the bench spot as long as they're in competition as Cronin has added impact value.

Strauss has been pretty poor this season, he was the better hooker a couple of years ago though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

I'm going to attempt to throw a spanner into the works and say that Herring has a chance to maybe be a bolter. Not playing as much now Best is back but he was certainly on a decent vein of form. I'll admit not knowing too much about some of the other options but as a (3rd choice) backup I wouldn't be too worried with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yeah Herring isn't far off, he's very much fourth choice so one injury will see him on the plane. He's a decent player so he could do a job but I can't see anyone breaking up the current trio if they're all fit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Herring was the sub hooker, behind Strauss, for the A game in Feb so yeah he'd be 4th choice.

From memory I don't remember him having that great a game when he came on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

LostArt wrote: »
    Strauss has been pretty poor this season, he was the better hooker a couple of years ago though

Strauss has been injured for a lot of this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The problem for Herring is that with Best back he is getting next to no gametime because Best isn't someone Ulster want to take off. That isn't a reflection of Herring mind. Also as Cat points out Herring didn't go so well for the Wolfhounds, but this is why I don't like those Wolfhound games. Judging players on that doesn't make a lot of sense given how the team is thrown together. His form for Ulster over the course of the season is a more useful barometer IMO.

Unless there is an injury the three hookers will be Best, Cronin and Strauss and in that order too.

It's a position of strength for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I reckon Casey will be ahead of herring but it doesn't matter much as Cronin will be back for the WC.

Strauss has been injured for a lot of this season?

yep and poor when he has played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Strauss has been playing well but his throwing is gone totally unreliable. It's a shame because he was generally spot on before his absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

LostArt wrote: »
    yep and poor when he has played.

Persistent injuries will do that to players. It's very hard to hit form when you're playing intermittently. He still has a lot of time on his side so there's no reason why he can't return to previous form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Leinster line out has been poor lifters locks hookers all struggling with timing or calls. But yes strauss not near 100% think sob and healy good but not amazing need gametime after injuries

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Persistent injuries will do that to players. It's very hard to hit form when you're playing intermittently. He still has a lot of time on his side so there's no reason why he can't return to previous form.

I really hope he does, he's been fantastic for Leinster over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

case885 wrote: »
    I reckon Casey will be ahead of herring but it doesn't matter much as Cronin will be back for the WC.

Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to measure but if Casey is first choice for Munster and Herring is barely getting games for Ulster then yes you're probably right.

Just from an Ulster perspective I really hope we keep hold of Herring but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave as he'd probably start for most Premiership clubs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Being painted at the moment:

347122.jpg

If it doesn't have POC painted head to toe on the belly, I'll be a little bit dissapointed.

http://m.independent.ie/life/travel/aer-lingus-announced-as-official-airline-of-irish-rugby-team-31185781.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I hope it works out better for those players than it did for TOL, Wallace, and Luke Fitz in that advert in 2011!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jaysus, Boring Kearney himself is going to be doing safety videos. That'll be super fun.

Sure if Bowe did them no one would take him seriously :pac:

How many centres are usually brought to the world cup? Does D'Arcy have any chance?

Four players named as centre in 2011:
    Gordon D'Arcy
    Fergus McFadden
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Paddy Wallace

and
    Keith Earls named as a wing

Current squad centres:
    Henshaw
    Payne
    Madigan

Earls?
    McFadden?
    Cave?
    Fitzgerald?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How many centers are usually brought to the world cup? Does D'Arcy have any chance?

Currently I would think no, but World Cup is a while away yet so who knows with injuries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

when you look at our options at centre I feel increasingly gutted for olding...:(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

also remeber Bowe can step in as well, although usually at 13, but im sure hed have the skillset to play 12 if necessary too for part of a game

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement