Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Aboy the kid POC!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Delighted POC got it, and more so that a championship winner got it, and I think sometimes the oft flashy backs get it or goal kickers, nice to see someone who's off the field contribution was recognised as much as his onfield one.

Oh great, highlights of a lock :P

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

He deserved it, that was his best 6 nations ever in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Good to see they put his line breaks against Wales otherwise those highlights would have been for the purists :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Rhys Ruddock out for 6 months and in danger of missing the WC. Seems he hasn't recovered from his broken arm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Six months is too long, I think he's out of the RWC.

Our first game is 19 September which is just under 6 months away so it'd be a massive gamble for Schmidt to take him as he more than likely won't have played in any of the warm up games of which the last is the 5th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Six months is too long, I think he's out of the RWC.

Our first game is 19 September which is just under 6 months away so it'd be a massive gamble for Schmidt to take him as he more than likely won't have played in any of the warm up games of which the last is the 5th September.

Basis for this? The first one isn't til August, which is over 4 full months away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well if he's rehab is expected to take 6 months like Wang King says he's not going to be able to play after 4 months.

I think Ruddock would be one of the guys who would be getting game time in the early warm up games too so missing them is a double bad move for him.

Well if he's rehab is expected to take 6 months like Wang King says he's not going to be able to play after 4 months.

I think Ruddock would be one of the guys who would be getting game time in the early warm up games too so missing them is a double bad move for him.

I think what Wang King meant was that he'll be out for 6 months in total, from the original break. I don't think it's been said anywhere that he'll be out for another 6 months from now, that would be an extremely unusual amount of time for a broken arm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

It's a bit unclear at the moment, he played earlier this month against Ospreys but announced today he's out for the season, because of the original injury. Possibility of an operation I'd think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I think what Wang King meant was that he'll be out for 6 months in total, from the original break. I don't think it's been said anywhere that he'll be out for another 6 months from now, that would be an extremely unusual amount of time for a broken arm.

gordon d'arcy was out for almost a year.

aimee1 wrote: »
    gordon d'arcy was out for almost a year.

Yes, and that was extremely unusual.

Wang King wrote: »
    It's a bit unclear at the moment, he played earlier this month against Ospreys but announced today he's out for the season, because of the original injury. Possibility of an operation I'd think

They gave some additional detail on OTB earlier, the bone didn't set apparently and he is having another operation. They said out to the end of the season, RWC wasn't mentioned at all so I guess there is a lack of clarity there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Yes, and that was extremely unusual.

They gave some additional detail on OTB earlier, the bone didn't set apparently and he is having another operation. They said out to the end of the season, RWC wasn't mentioned at all so I guess there is a lack of clarity there.

is that the same thing that happened to D'arcy too in 2008??

aimee1 wrote: »
    is that the same thing that happened to D'arcy too in 2008??

D'Arcy didn't ever make half a comeback, his break was seriously bad. There's no point in trying to compare the two injuries when we don't have the details, but there's no reason to think this one is as bad as D'Arcy's was.

I think D'arcy really smashed his arm up, as in he'd quite a few breaks not just the one in it.

I think D'arcy really smashed his arm up, as in he'd quite a few breaks not just the one in it.

He'd seven breaks in it in total believe it or not. I feel ill even thinking about it.

That's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So with the WC in mind which players had good weeks and which players had bad weeks

Good weekend
    Simon Zebo
    Keith Earls
    Denis Buckley
    Paddy Jackson
    Iain Henderson
    Chris Henry
    Craig Gilroy
    Didn't see the Leinster game...

Bad weekend
    Can't really think of anyone in contention who had a bad weekend with the obvious exception of Stuart Olding but his more catastrophic than bad.

I Joe is taking a break but other than seeing Henry and Jackson return from illness/injury he won't have learnt a lot, although Earls is really impressing at the moment.

What happened to Stuart Olding?

• Advertisement

I think some of the Leinster lads will be in the bad week category though we were playing the best opposition and there are mitigating circumstances.

What happened to Stuart Olding?

Serious looking knee injury. No confirmation yet but the reports are he has done his ACL again on the same knee that he did before. If confirmed his WC is gone and frankly that might be the best case scenario. Wil probably hear more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »

Good for Leinster was Boss. He had a big spell and won MOTM from an extended performance off the bench. He's now in pole position for the third scrum half spot. Marmion has a few games to make his case but I reckon he's got some work to do now.

Possible argument for Fitzgerald who brought a lot of energy off the bench and was dangerous whenever the ball was in his hands.

Bad? All the rest, pretty much. Marty Moore was well off the pace and correctly taken off after 52 minutes. Strauss was anonymous and went off injured after 30 minutes. Dominic Ryan played the last 15 minutes and managed to make a bad impression. He'll be hard pushed to make the Leinster 23 for the rest of the season; I think the RWC is out of the question for him at this stage.

bilston wrote: »

Bad weekend
    Can't really think of anyone in contention who had a bad weekend

I'm not sure a single Leinster player advanced their case tbh. Fitz didn't make a mess of anything in his 25 mins or whatever, Healy improved the scrum... And that's it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Good for Leinster was Boss. He had a big spell and won MOTM from an extended performance off the bench. He's now in pole position for the third scrum half spot. Marmion has a few games to make his case but I reckon he's got some work to do now.

Possible argument for Fitzgerald who brought a lot of energy off the bench and was dangerous whenever the ball was in his hands.

Bad? All the rest, pretty much. Marty Moore was well off the pace and correctly taken off after 52 minutes. Strauss was anonymous and went off injured after 30 minutes. Dominic Ryan played the last 15 minutes and managed to make a bad impression. He'll be hard pushed to make the Leinster 23 for the rest of the season; I think the RWC is out of the question for him at this stage.

This. The guys you'd have been looking to most would have been Dave and Ferg and the fact that I can't recall a day later whether they were good or bad says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

What's the story with Stuart McCloskey and Ireland? I know some Ulster fans who rave about him, but has he trained with Ireland or played for the Wolfhounds or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Sanjuro wrote: »
    What's the story with Stuart McCloskey and Ireland? I know some Ulster fans who rave about him, but has he trained with Ireland or played for the Wolfhounds or anything?

Think "Emerging Ireland" is as far as he's got. The RWC is going to come too soon for him I reckon.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCloskey won't make it to the WC. His aim should be the 6N next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I hope not but that's only because I want Olding in the centre next 6n either inside or outside Henshaw.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    I hope not but that's only because I want Olding in the centre next 6n either inside or outside Henshaw.

Suggestions on uafc that Olding will miss the next 12 months so McCloskey can make the 12 position his own at Ulster. However I think there is a chance that we will start Cave at 12 and Payne at 13 for the remainder of the season. McCloskey's chance will come during the WC when Payne is away. If he performs well then and keeps the spot for the Champions Cup then who knows what will happen in 2016. But he isn't in contention for Ireland yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement