Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options
  • 26-01-2015 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Pairing Luke Marshall with Cave in the centre and Payne at fullback could be really good for the wolfhounds backline. They should know each other inside out. Then Gilroy could be on one wing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Pairing Luke Marshall with Cave in the centre and Payne at fullback could be really good for the wolfhounds backline. They should know each other inside out. Then Gilroy could be on one wing.

Them knowing eachother inside out is why I wouldn't try them in a Wolfhounds backline. It's a one-off game but a chance to experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Didn't he get another knock to the head recently?

That's every game!! No he played at the weekend and came through unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Friday night, live on Sky

Also on RTE 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Luke Marshall isn't in the squad btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'd love to see this by the end of the six nations

Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Henshaw
    Fitzgerald
    Bowe
    Kearney

If that centre partnership starts the first game it will likely play the whole tournament. That leaves Earls who isn't locked in, and I reckon he was born to play under Schmidt, punches well above his weight and can hit rucks like a train, in addition to his obvious attacking ability. Schmidt included him for a reason, I think he could take Zebo's place by the end of the tournament

Sexton takes it to the line with the option of Henshaw to hit it up, Bowe trailing inside and Fitz and Earls waiting out the back... there aren't enough defenders in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Murray Kinsella on Henderson's performance from the weekend.

http://www.the42.ie/iain-henderson-ulster-analysis-1903780-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I'll be very interested to see what position Joe starts Earls in for the wolfhounds (I'm making an assumption he starts)
    Dies he see him as an 11,12 or 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

S12b wrote: »

Off topic but can anyone explain why they changed from "The Score" to "The 42"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Its to do with Rule 42 which allows the playing of other sports in GAA grounds
    http://jrnl.ie/1851567

I only know because someone posted it in the off topic thread

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

Supposedly something to do with Rule 42 which I think was the rule changed to open up Croke Park to other sports

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sh3m

Wang King wrote: »
    I'll be very interested to see what position Joe starts Earls in for the wolfhounds (I'm making an assumption he starts)

Be very surprised if Joe seen Earls as anything but a winger and emergency centre cover. He's got plenty of centre options as it is. And if he's eyeing up Fitz as a possible 13 then Earls is probably a starting option on the wing in the 6 nations along with Bowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Don't remember him playing 12, has he? Interesting one alright, I don't see him as Irelands first choice 13 but a great option at 11 if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Don't remember him playing 12, has he? Interesting one alright, I don't see him as Irelands first choice 13 but a great option at 11 if he can stay fit.

I think he was 12 for the 60-0 against NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That game never happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

was paddy wallace not summoned from his deck chair for that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Flipper22 wrote: »

Played many times for Munster at 12 with LLL outside him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Earls never played with 12 on his back whilst Laulala was with Munster. I'm presuming you mean he moved in and out of the 12 position many times mid-game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Iirc earls he played a churchill cup at 12 (inside mcfadden)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Iirc earls he played a churchill cup at 12 (inside mcfadden)

He played inside Kieran Lewis in 2008. I remember him playing at centre with Cave too but think that it might have been at 13. With his power and running attributes I think that this kind of game really suits Earls where there's perhaps slightly more space than in games between more established teams. I would see him as far more effective on the wing for the full international side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Just some musings, but I think they really need to do something about guys rushing in and grabbing around the neck and wrenching players to the ground in a ruck situation. People aren't allowed to high tackle for a reason and someone will get hurt.

And I just imagined Toner had the same spark as Bakkies did when he was at his peak. Sigh.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. In fact I don't ever remember him playing 12 for Munster. He did have 12 on his back for the first test in NZ in 2012 though him and BOD interchanged quite a bit. He'd be a bit wasted there imo, his gas and footwork are more effective in space and he's not known for his distribution or decision making on the ball.

aimee1 wrote: »
    was paddy wallace not summoned from his deck chair for that one?

Oh yeah that's right it was the first game where Earls and bod were in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not sure why people think Earls will be near the match day team. I have a feeling he could be sent back to Munster....I see all of the following ahead of him in the picking.

Everyone seems to forget before injury McFadden was one of Joe's favorites for the wing. With it looking like Bowe is nailed on for one wing then I can see Kearney/Zebo/McFadden all ahead of Earls.

Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    Craig Gilroy (Dungannon/Ulster)
    Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It is hard for Earls alright. Personally I'd have Earls over Zebo, but I can't see Schmidt dropping Zebo for someone just coming back from injury, it'd be destroy morale in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The only wingers I'd see as being ahead of a fully fit Earls would probably be Bowe and potentially Trimble (although that's a close call). Whether or not he's fit is unclear.

The only wingers I'd see as being ahead of a fully fit Earls would probably be Bowe and potentially Trimble (although that's a close call). Whether or not he's fit is unclear.

This is the order I would have them in for starting

Bowe
    Trimble
    Kearney
    Zebo
    McFadden/Earls

Not including Fitzgerald as I think they will be looking to play him in centre as he has been the shining light for Leinster the last few games....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah but look at it this way. Schmidt didn't feature Zebo for the first raft of games under his remit despite him being fit. There was a whole ****storm over that, but the reality is he asked him to do something and to go away and improve it. He came back, did what the coach asked him, and now what, the coach drops him at the first opportunity? Look, I think Earls is a far, far better winger than Zebo but I don't think Earls has been back long enough and playing enough for Schmidt to warrant dropping Zebo without causing a rift there.

But maybe I'm wrong.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah but look at it this way. Schmidt didn't feature Zebo for the first raft of games under his remit despite him being fit. There was a whole ****storm over that, but the reality is he asked him to do something and to go away and improve it. He came back, did what the coach asked him, and now what, the coach drops him at the first opportunity? Look, I think Earls is a far, far better winger than Zebo but I don't think Earls has been back long enough and playing enough for Schmidt to warrant dropping Zebo without causing a rift there.

But maybe I'm wrong.

I agree, that is why I can see him maybe been sent back to Munster, given some game time and then brought back in...how many games has he actually played since his return?

Would be interesting if when Earls was he out was he brought up to the Ireland camps? I know alot of the other players where so they could be around the team etc....

A fit & firing Earls starts @ 11 for Ireland almost every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd agree with this. Earls is a far more balanced player than Zebo I reckon, and Joe seems to like that. His injury might delay his return to the match-day squad, but that's about it. For me all fit and firing I'd go with:

09. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Earls
    12. Henshaw
    13. Fitz
    14. Bowe
    15. R Kearney

21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. Payne

Zebo, Dave & Ferg miss out because we have quality wing cover in Fitzy and Payne can over centre & full-back better than any other option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement