Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I said it before and I'll say it again : Donegal is the place to be tomorrow! Especially on high ground. Heavy snow showers + windy conditions : loads of fun.
    I'm looking forward to this. I've the day off tomorrow so can weather watch all day and hopefully the snow will come in early and thick enough for my boss to call me tomorrow evening and tell me not to bother coming to work Thursday ;)
    Worse case scenario is that it doesn't hit till late Wed night / Thurs morning and I have to slither onto the road at 7am Thurs morn and drive with my shoulders around my earlobes for 30 miles. Wild sore that:o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In all fairness maq widespread showers are forecast. We all know Donegal is the prime spot but the whole country will get a fair share

It certainly won't. Hoping it doesnt make it true. No evidence for much in Leinster and Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Harps wrote: »
    Don't remind me :( 10C and rain forecast for here in SE England tomorrow!

Another different view on the 2km WRF which shows plenty of lying snow in the rest of Ulster but high ground only in Donegal up to midnight tomorrow. Not sure how reliable this model is though

nmm_uk1-26-36-4_bqt0.png

That map looks like it was only designed for the UK and a little spill over into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It certainly won't. Hoping it doesnt make it true. No evidence for much in Leinster and Munster

I would suggest a meeting at 9pm Thursday on here to discuss what actually happened in Munster and Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

IWO sounds like will be a bit of a non event other than in the North West

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

To be honest, my gut feeling is all models are probably under cooking the affect of the very strong winds on moving those showers
    I've seen episodes(albeit moons ago) where they've even got to Arklow thick and heavy having survived the Wicklow mtns and a long land track thanks to near gales
    Not saying that will happen tomorrow but it has happened in the 1980's and in my experience if it's happened before it can happen, it means it's a possibility
    That's where I think human intuition is important in forecasts, not just total loyalty to nwp's and going on Gerry's forecast tonight, we're seeing this in action and funny enough shockingly for him in the snow bunnies favour this time :D
    I'd be happy, especially in the Donegal Sligo Mayo tri state area mind you :D

Thursday at 9 is a date, even if im in a snow drift on the M50 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I would suggest a meeting at 9pm Thursday on here to discuss what actually happened in Munster and Leinster!

I wont make that meeting because I will be outside somewhere playing in the snow.

And it may take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thursday at 9 is a date, even if im in a snow drift on the M50 ;)

If your in that situ, drop me a pm, I can pull you out, then we will berate MTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I wont make that meeting because I will be outside somewhere playing in the snow.

And it may take some time.

I hope so Vista! I am optimistic even if things chart wise seem to be downgrading for my location

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    If your in that situ, drop me a pm, I can pull you out, then we will berate MTC.

Lol good lad. Id be more likely to berate myself for downplaying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2236 update from Met Eireann.....thundersnow in the mix now...

27 January 2015 22:36

Today
    Scattered outbreaks of rain developing overnight, turning more widespread later. Rain will turn to sleet or snow over parts of Ulster towards morning. Lowest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees Celsius, coldest across the northern half of the country, with values at their lowest after dawn. Fresh southwest winds will veer northwest and increase strong to gale force and gusty. Frost and ice developing later tonight, mainly occurring in sheltered areas owing to those strong winds.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Wednesday will be a very cold and windy day with widespread showers early on in the morning, some of which will be wintry, especially across the north and northwest. Long dry spells developing with some sunshine, however further showers will push down across the country in a strong and gusty west to northwest wind. Scattered showers, later in the day, will turn increasingly to sleet and snow with moderate accumulations, all areas at threat, particularly Ulster. Risk of thunder also. Bitterly cold with an added wind chill effect; highest temperatures of just 2 to 5 degrees Celsius, in the strong and blustery westerly winds.

Outlook

The wintry showers will continue on Wednesday night, becoming widespread overnight in the moderate to fresh westerly wind. Temperatures overnight will be well below freezing with frost and ice making hazardous driving conditions. The showers will be most frequently of snow overnight, bringing accumulations of several centimetres in many areas, particularly in the west and in the north.

There'll be further wintry showers on Thursday, again frequently of snow. The showers will be most frequent over the hills and mountains of the west and north but all areas are at risk as they will be carried on the moderate to fresh westerly wind, which will veer northwest later. Temperatures will be only around 3 or 4 degrees in the afternoon on Thursday with a wind chill factor added in. Overnight on Thursday night temperatures will be below freezing again but the showers will start to retreat to the coasts of the west and north.

On Friday the showers will become more likely to be of rain and more likely to be confined to coastal counties of the west and north, although there will still be a risk of wintry precipitation over the hills and mountains, and it will still be rather cold, especially over night. Day time there will be some sunny periods in the east and south.

On Saturday and over the weekend, it will continue very cold as the airflow turns northerly. Wintry showers will continue, mainly in exposed northern and western areas with good spells of sunshine and severe frosts and icy roads by night. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In all fairness maq widespread showers are forecast. We all know Donegal is the prime spot but the whole country will get a fair share
    In all fairness widespread showers have been forecast on many, many occasions by various models. Models can't predict local effects, land shadows and miniature convergence zones and they're not even that good at predicting what areas or counties will get the deepest snowfalls. The whole country is not going to get a roughly even cover of snow across much of it. There will be widespread accumulations but this will be small-scale for much of Munster and most of Leinster in the places people live. The exception won't prove the norm for there. A dusting or snow showers that melt later won't count as a fair share after what happened this month :pac:

As for the snow lovers in Connaught and Ulster... Have fun tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

2236 update from Met Eireann.....thundersnow in the mix now...

27 January 2015 22:36

Today
    Scattered outbreaks of rain developing overnight, turning more widespread later. Rain will turn to sleet or snow over parts of Ulster towards morning. Lowest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees Celsius, coldest across the northern half of the country, with values at their lowest after dawn. Fresh southwest winds will veer northwest and increase strong to gale force and gusty. Frost and ice developing later tonight, mainly occurring in sheltered areas owing to those strong winds.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Wednesday will be a very cold and windy day with widespread showers early on in the morning, some of which will be wintry, especially across the north and northwest. Long dry spells developing with some sunshine, however further showers will push down across the country in a strong and gusty west to northwest wind. Scattered showers, later in the day, will turn increasingly to sleet and snow with moderate accumulations, all areas at threat, particularly Ulster. Risk of thunder also. Bitterly cold with an added wind chill effect; highest temperatures of just 2 to 5 degrees Celsius, in the strong and blustery westerly winds.

Outlook

The wintry showers will continue on Wednesday night, becoming widespread overnight in the moderate to fresh westerly wind. Temperatures overnight will be well below freezing with frost and ice making hazardous driving conditions. The showers will be most frequently of snow overnight, bringing accumulations of several centimetres in many areas, particularly in the west and in the north.

There'll be further wintry showers on Thursday, again frequently of snow. The showers will be most frequent over the hills and mountains of the west and north but all areas are at risk as they will be carried on the moderate to fresh westerly wind, which will veer northwest later. Temperatures will be only around 3 or 4 degrees in the afternoon on Thursday with a wind chill factor added in. Overnight on Thursday night temperatures will be below freezing again but the showers will start to retreat to the coasts of the west and north.

On Friday the showers will become more likely to be of rain and more likely to be confined to coastal counties of the west and north, although there will still be a risk of wintry precipitation over the hills and mountains, and it will still be rather cold, especially over night. Day time there will be some sunny periods in the east and south.

On Saturday and over the weekend, it will continue very cold as the airflow turns northerly. Wintry showers will continue, mainly in exposed northern and western areas with good spells of sunshine and severe frosts and icy roads by night. ..

Great forecast for everyone really. We live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Euro4 rolling out, accumulation map at +36 not looking good for the south west :o
    i live in hope.

15012906_2718.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Latest Euro4 rolling out, accumulation map at +36 not looking good for the south west :o
    i live in hope.

15012906_2718.gif

That Galway/Dublin line is looking quite accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interesting times, all that pink looks like bliss, I just hope that me being a few miles from the coast wont mean sleet instead of snow. Better hit the hay, got to be up early for the artic express. :)

Wind is really picking up here...and this NI forecast has me thinking it we are in for some craic tomorrow! Lets hope we are not doing a New York on it!

https://www.facebook.com/BBCNewsline

Pangea wrote: »
    Interesting times, all that pink looks like bliss, I just hope that me being a few miles from the coast wont mean sleet instead of snow. Better hit the hay, got to be up early for the artic express. :)
    I always thought inland meant worse conditons. I've often left the coast thinking it's not too bad and find I hit areas that are a whiteout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

That Galway/Dublin line is looking quite accurate

I hope that line drops about ten miles to the south. Looks like I could narrowly miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

i live in hope.

Looking at the hi-res models, I wouldnt expect any accumulations in the southwest/south on low ground apart from the odd dusting here or there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oscar Bravo in 5,4,3....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice strong wind here in west clare. We may be in for a blizzard here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Whipping up here in North Clare too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I always thought inland meant worse conditons. I've often left the coast thinking it's not too bad and find I hit areas that are a whiteout!

Yes that is what I mean. My proximity to the coast might be to my detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A light breeze with the odd light shower here outside Newport Mayo. Not holding out much hope for snow either, we're a bit near the coast.
    Wind has picked up a notch as I'm typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

I dont put any faith in it, but my birdfeeders, peanuts / sunflower seeds etc got emptied today.

The missus says "we never had anything like number of birds as we had today".

Do they know something we dont?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just got in from work and had a few drinks and the latest GFS has had a few more than me.. (if you love cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah it's an evolving situation. The thread will be changed on Thursday night to reflect the ongoing cold snap which is still open ended. Let's just get the next 48 hours schenadigans out of the way first. ;)

Interesting times ahead.
    I dont put any faith in it, but my birdfeeders, peanuts / sunflower seeds etc got emptied today.

The missus says "we never had anything like number of birds as we had today".

Do they know something we dont?

That your sunflower seeds are tastier than the average sun flower seed?

Night all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Would it be fair to say that western coastal extremities will only see a cold sloppy mess,sleet,etc with accumulations unlikely??? I just want to have reasonable expectations tomorrow. my hunch is for a sleety mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement