Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I shall retire early this evening in the hope that I may wake up and fine some Sneachta, schnee, nieve or Snow in the morning. Its unlikely, but I may as well hope.

Night all.

Keep us updated with snow forecasts:P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Mech1 wrote: »
    I dont put any faith in it, but my birdfeeders, peanuts / sunflower seeds etc got emptied today.

The missus says "we never had anything like number of birds as we had today".

Do they know something we dont?
    Had the exact same...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I shall retire early this evening in the hope that I may wake up and fine some Sneachta, schnee, nieve or Snow in the morning. Its unlikely, but I may as well hope.

Night all.

Keep us updated with snow forecasts:P
    I don't think any forecast had sneachta for tomorrow morning. But hope springs eternal I guess ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

post-1206-0-81911400-1422398400.gif

Hmmm this looks interesting... Front moving down accross the country :D one to watch anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

<respectful snip>
    The 16:14 version had it as...
    Tomorrow, Wednesday will be a very cold and windy day with widespread showers in the morning which will turn wintry, especially in the north and west, leading to some accumulations of snow there. There will be good sunny spells and further scattered showers during the afternoon and evening which are likely to turn wintry or possibly thundery in the north or east. Top temperatures of just 2 to 5 degrees in the strong and blustery westerly winds.
    which raise a Spock-like eyebrow for me. Thunder snow for north or east?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

This was on fb for tomorrow....yes its ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    post-1206-0-81911400-1422398400.gif

Hmmm this looks interesting... Front moving down accross the country :D one to watch anyway!

OMG!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleet being reported at Knock at 0600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

We've had some quickly passing showers of hail here in Achill over the past few hours. It's very windy and the lights are just about holding on for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Heavy rain shower just passed through, very windy to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Heavy sleet shower with strong wind in Newbridge 5 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

If the showers move over the country like they are now then they will have no problem reaching the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

severe gusts and rain in Trim for the last hour

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Very windy in Naas. House creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Wind howling here in dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Very Windy in Naas.

Sitting at the traffic lights earlier and a Christmas tree blew across the road like a tumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wind howling here in dublin 15.

Yeah agree, woke me up before 6, unusually sustained and squally for this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

It is very getting a bit stormy down here in Kerry at the moment. very windy and raining, with some hail at times

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    Still 6+ degrees here in North Meath - yesterday of last week I got up in the morning to - (minus) -6.5 degrees!!

It's warm tonight(!) in comparison to that!

Really hoping for some snow!

Loving 'Graces7' posts - sounds like an idyllic place and way to live:)!
    Thank you and yes I am happier here than anywhere else. Have always been a solitary kind and loving nature ie loving living in it. Whatever. My golden years now. Kerry is sheer heaven for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just a 71 knot gust at Mace Head at 6am!

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    I dont put any faith in it, but my birdfeeders, peanuts / sunflower seeds etc got emptied today.

The missus says "we never had anything like number of birds as we had today".

Do they know something we dont?

All the critters are extra hungry; thetemperature drop does it. My dogs are putting away enormous amounts of food! And yes they sense air pressure change which precede winds. I am no scientist and charts make my eyes cross but I watch and listen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Loving the long term upgrades as proper cold looks like getting entrenched
    Gfs is very much leading the way

Short term it's only a matter of when we see snow falling today.
    I would expect by 10 am snow will be widespread further west

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Loving the long term upgrades as proper cold looks like getting entrenched
    Gfs is very much leading the way

Short term it's only a matter of when we see snow falling today.
    I would expect by 10 am snow will be widespread further west

Certainly getting extended and extended! And increasing chance of a big snow event the longer it goes on. Today could be just the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Very windy here in Cork City now. Haven't seen any rain yet but it's quite cold already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just a 71 knot gust at Mace Head at 6am!

The sustained winds were more unusual this morning, I had to check outside and see if it was a bin lorry or something.
    Some hail in the squally showers on the way into Galway City also.
    Bit of a chill in the air, the suspense is killing me.

Dear Lord! That was a loud awakening! I did not expect this wind! How did I miss that in my weather enchantment last night! Just fought it to get the dogs up and fed and I really should not have thrown the cats out ;) I see from met ie that we here in South Kerry are marginal; it is snows in these winds we are going to get serious drifting... please take great care if you are out there.. If it goes quiet from me, I have either migrated downstairs when the internet connection is only up here or the digiweb dish has been moved . Worry not; my family overseas know this and if I dont check in for three days they call my landlord... Mind you if it snows he wont be any use ;) He is way down in the Black Valley and was snowed in last time .. Happy whatever comes today. I have enough feed for an army, three 40 k bags of coal, lots of wood and knitting orders in hand. Snow would be interesting today .. re computer advice.. this old laptop has so much wrong with it I dare not ask it for anything new.. new computer coming in from the states in June. On with the drama now!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Very windy (don't think it was ny better halfs cooking) here in D15,quite a nip in the air too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleet being reported at Dublin AP at 0700....and snow being reported at Knock at 0700.

Certainly getting extended and extended! And increasing chance of a big snow event the longer it goes on. Today could be just the starter.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS! That was a loud gust! Not trusting my own instincts but I tend to agree... what a deluge now! If that turns to snow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sleet being reported at Dublin AP at 0700....and snow being reported at Knock at 0700.

Has to be an error at 9C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement