Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is very getting a bit stormy down here in Kerry at the moment. very windy and raining, with some hail at times

Yep! South Kerry mountains around 400 ft asl and sheeting down sideways now. Roof creaking...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Has to be an error at 9C

Dublin AP is reporting 4c at 0700, and Knock is reporting 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Has to be an error at 9C

9c at 5am. 4c at 7am....

Fast drop although temps will drop and rise a fair bit with showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This is slipping away to the north a bit. The heaviest convection is only going to be confined to Ulster, with Cb tops to 23,000 ft. Current IR sat has them at around 19,000 ft off to our northwest, with only around 13, 000 ft further south, in line with say Galway-Dublin. This is probably how it will continue for the next 36 hrs.

The 18Z sigwx chart for today shows only Ulster with any convection of note, with supercooled tops of only up to 12,000 ft further south. This will mean much lighter showers and not much upper forcing to offset low-level warming. The Euro4 is a slight downgrade on the pinks, and only Knock and the two Belfast airports have snow forecast in the TAFs.

PGDE14_EGRR_1800.PNG

GFS 975 and 950 hPa charts are warmer now than 2 days ago, apart from the north. Still some snow for many, but a bit more mixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sleet / Snow blowing sideways here in Donegal Town 124ft asl. 2km from Donegal coast. Temp 1.7c. Dp 1.1 and dropping
    The wind howl is amazing !!😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

In City Center and the wind has been worst I have seen in a while. Doesn't seem that cold outside yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Dublin 4
    Temp: 3c
    Dew point: 2c

Wind stating to pick up.
    working in Sandyford and then on to Citywest. Will be surprised if i don'tsee at least sleet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mudda3

I guess we can open an event thread now we have cross model agreement for Wednesday and Thursday.

I think it's best to take this a step at a time in relation to the upcoming cold snap because the situation is very fluid, marginal and dynamic from Thursday evening. For Wednesday and Thursday the guidance is rock solid though.

Wednesday, Wednesday night, Thursday

Main points:

• Rapid temperature drop through Wednesday morning countrywide
    • Temps 3 - 12c at first, falling to 0 - 3c through the afternoon
    • Showers turning to snow before sunrise in the far west to low levels with accumulations before the afternoon away from immediate wind ward coasts
    • Showers intensify through the day turning to snow in most places by late afternoon
    • Snow showers widespread Wednesday night but especially Connaught, Ulster, North Leinster and West Munster
    • Significant and potentially disruptive accumulations in the western half of the country overnight
    • Strong northwesterly wind with gusts touching gale occasionally in exposed locations
    • Some frost overnight in the east and south, limited elsewhere due to brisk wind
    • Overnight temps circa -2 - +1c
    • May turn slightly milder through Thursday afternoon with snow showers turning back to rain or sleet at low levels and a temporary day time thaw may set in where snow has settled
    • Colder than average conditions to continue for forseeable with occasional marginal snow risk at times

I wonder would the mods mind changing this thread as we go along. I think it worked well last time.

Don't forget to keep up to date with MT's forecasts.

Looks freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

NSAman wrote: »
    In City Center and the wind has been worst I have seen in a while. Doesn't seem that cold outside yet.

In cc myself worst I have seen in two weeks probably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Strong gusts here in Sligo, and just had a passing hail shower. Seems far too stormy to be seeing any Irish snow today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sleet being reported at Dublin AP at 0700....and snow being reported at Knock at 0700.

With almost sustained gale with storm it must have been blizzard like condition at the airport.

Maybe in the zeal for snow the wind was sidelined in the forecasts. Just been out for fuel and checking critters and this seem a serious wind event up here and from posts elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Pretty gusty out there this morn...letterbox flapping stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wind was fierce here an hour ago or so, with hailstones, very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Light snow has arrived in county meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Plenty of radar watching next few days. Next week is potentially a real winter weather scenario - but caution needed as always this far out. It is the 'slider' low from the Atlantic for early next week that holds the key, not set in stone yet, but the concrete is drying well as they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sky has turned jet black here to my NW. Dangerous looking.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Im a little worried that these showers are moving so fast I don't think they'll get a chance to drop much in one particular spot

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Sleety hail type rain shower in Cavan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light sleet here (in Dublin 16) with the odd proper snowflake. 2.8c DP 0.7c atm.

• Advertisement

Shivers. Been out securing movables and this is bad, with a chill that was not here for Rachel.. so we are in storm mode and am deeply grateful for being warned as there is no way safe to be out today. Getting very dark up here now and cat and I are watching closely...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

We've just had a snow shower here in sandyford at the base of 3'rock. Very brief but really big flakes. Then brief rain. Wasn't expecting anything, no matter how brief, so soon

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Sleety showers briefly in Firhouse D24.
    Temp dropping continuously-by 3 degrees in the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like the heavier showers will be arriving in Donegal around 4pm. Mostly light stuff before then if this is right.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its now as windy or winder than the storm we got recently that had a red alert. House is creaking and moving and the hedgeing is taking a nice battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its now as windy or winder than the storm we got recently that had a red alert. House is creaking and moving and the hedgeing is taking a nice battering.

I was surprised this morning, I am in Sallins and the house was creaking like mad

In 5 years of living there I have never had that

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

It was snowing in ballindine, south mayo at 8am, very brief, fast moving shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We've just had a snow shower here in sandyford at the base of 3'rock. Very brief but really big flakes. Then brief rain. Wasn't expecting anything, no matter how brief, so soon
    We've had a few snow and mixed showers since 8 as well here near roundwood. Same as, wasn't expecting anything, if anything at all, until much later. Might be a change of plans this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

In work in Dublin (in since before 4am) but have been looking at the temperature drop at home in Kildare, not far from Enfield. Home is situated a little under 100m amsl however temperatures have been falling a lot more than I expected. Currently shower free but a small shower is approaching now and a bigger one that will probably get me or else pass very slightly to my south. Massive showers just beginning to move into north Mayo and Donegal and heading south east. These could prove to be interesting in the coming hours.

The important bit of info with regards to home is that the current temperature is only 2c on the button and is still falling quite quickly, despite being shower free right now. This bodes well for any incoming showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Another snow shower here again, big flakes and staying on the ground, well the grass and decking anyway, driveway still to wet, bodes well for later

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement