Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unofficial GBBR Megathread

Options
  • 17-01-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I've seen that quite a few people have interest in GBBR's, have trouble with them, need advice and more. I've also heard from a shop that they don't want to stock them anymore because people don't know how to maintain them.

The idea of this thread is to be the go-to place for information about all aspects of GBBR's, from buying them to upgrading them, and to share practical experience and advice.

Let the weeping from lack of stock in Ireland begin xD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Tip no 1 don't get a WA G&P as your first GBBR they will break your heart

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ElSniperino

Jsmurff wrote: »
    Tip no 1 don't get a WA G&P as your first GBBR they will break your heart

I'm guessing this is personal experience?

What went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Surprising with the apparent interest in milsim that GBBRs aren't more popular, with ammo capacity similar to that of real steel. And who could deny the fun to be had with this bad boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsZzJcyBrgc

I'd have thought that it'd be a great idea for sites to run limited-ammo (same as real steel mags) milsim events, where the high-cap advantage of AEGs over GBBRs would be negated / canceled, so encouraging players to invest in a GBBR.

I much prefer limited ammo. You can't spray and pray all day. You have to actually consider your shots.

I find that the less practical gun I use, the better I play. The DBoys Kar98 actually doing me well in indoor areas. The hit to miss ration is vastly different due to the style of play.

But I think shops may be sick of people who don't know what they're doing and breaking their GBBR's and sending them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I started off airsofting with the purchase of a GBBR, love gbbr, pistols, smgs they are great fun and my next plan is to get a mac11 and somehow source a G&P metal kit. But while Gbbr are seriously cool the low cap magazines kill it.

1: They are expensive, and the cheaper ones are complete ****e.
    2: Gas, again cost, cool down.
    3: Maintenance (something I personally love doing)
    4: Practicality.

Far as milsim goes, You would want a good few magazines and to be fair airsoft rifles will never be as accurate as their real steel equivalents so your engagement distance is naturally quite short. GBBR's well some anyways take a lot of work to get them firing accurate and consistant.

Modern electric blowbacks are defo they way forward, KWA ergs meant to have a great kick, you can switch between lo-cap and mid with the KWA magazines, take standard mags also, functions identical to a GBBR/real steel rifle just runs off a battery.

The big attraction for me to all things gas blowback was the field stripping, maintenance, and the oh so good kick, but reluctantly swapped to aegs for primary weapons!.

• Advertisement

The accuracy of an airsoft gun is as good as it's inner barrel and hop-up. A GBBR can be just as good as an AEG for that.

It's true that gas costs, but it comes back to counting shots. Like a real gun, you can't just hold the trigger and not expect something to eventually give, either ammo, temperature or an internal part.

A canister of red gas can last me 3-4 full days of gaming. It's all in the trigger discipline.

I hate gearboxes an relying on elecritical components to operate them. Also what if you built a whole AEG only to find the thing was 2-3fps over the limit you gotta strip it all down and an repeat the process till you find the one or multiple parts that are causing the higher fps.

With GBBR's on the other hand you have a myriad of fuel choices (134a duster gas, green gas, we nuptrol range, Co2) which all have distinct fps in a given climate

There is also adjustable bolts and valves like RA Tech NPAS, G&P NP Nozzles and FG has recently released an adjustable nozzle for the GHK Ak series that can be adjusted from the side of nozzle via an alan grub screw by simply pulling back the bolt as apposed to removing it.

Tbh GBRs in general are not for the faint of heart and are quite expensive but pence you get the hang of them and have one that works flawlessly then your set.

Beginners should always go with aeg's because they are good to go out of the box and in the event of failure there is a plethora of spares and experienced "techs" out there

GBBRs are an always will be a speciality and a minority on the feild. But there will never be an AEG with the same kick and sound.

The accuracy of an airsoft gun is as good as it's inner barrel and hop-up. A GBBR can be just as good as an AEG for that.

It's true that gas costs, but it comes back to counting shots. Like a real gun, you can't just hold the trigger and not expect something to eventually give, either ammo, temperature or an internal part.

A canister of red gas can last me 3-4 full days of gaming. It's all in the trigger discipline.

AEGs have the edge over GBBR, I've yet to see a GBBR top an AEG for consistant shot to shot accuracy for a number of factors. But a rifle is only as good as its hop up and barrel.

Now if it were a strictly low-cap game with low cap magazines for all rifles and pistols be it aegs or gbbr/pistols then GBBR would be a good choice, but in a regular skirmish when your up against high caps, mids, box mags, and people who have 30+rps aegs GBBR are just outgunned!.

Yeah I used to have 22rps stubby m4 with a 5,000rnd box mag it was a hungry little git I would use 2-3 bags per day of skirmishing :eek:

Wouldn't see myself doing that with a GBBR :D

(More GHK fanboy shpeal)
    The AK GBBRs are said to be highly accurate as far as an OTB GBB is concerned have not heard of one upgraded to a better range yet tho

In my experience WE GBBR's were far easier to work on in general then the magna system. The magna system is one where you have to find a fine ballance between all the internals. I believe this is due to the fact that so many company's have their own iteration's like INO/ VIPER and VFC an as a result there's a variety of tolerances at play such as size and weight.

Afaik G&P are the only company that have WA's permition to make full metal variants, conversion kits and internals.

WE are deffinitely the beginners choice the current 3rd gen rifles particularly the scar, G39 or PDW are pretty good OTB and are all perfect size for CQB or fibua. But of course this limits your site options until you upgrade the hop and inner barrel to play open feild.

Rifles with polymer mags seem to have a far lower cool down rate my G39e could do simeltanious mag dumps without venting

I've played with the WE G36c out on the Hilltop site. It worked fine. Did just as well as those with an AEG.

I am adamant that rate of fire doesn't make the gun. Firing 150 bb's at a target is a waste when 2 or 3 will do.

I love the TM MP7. The internals are pretty much the best you'll get out of the box. I hope they come out with more soon.

And I hope to god that it's not a range of M4's... We already have fifty bajillion M4's...

• Advertisement

TM only design murch for japan market they don't give a flying sod what we Europeans want

Their system is great for pistols and small SMG'S but I really can't see them doing any better than any other company with GBBR's besides they would also be plastic and we would be waiting 1-2 years for aftermarket support

Well the TM MP7 came out with aftermarket pretty quickly.

And I would say that WE bodies may fit TM internals without much trouble.

And I would say that WE bodies may fit TM internals without much trouble.

From what type? Not sure what your hinting at? Lol

WE and TM have had interchangeable internals for many of their guns. I don't see why one couldn't frankenstein one together to have a WE body but TM internals.

Well this would be true for pistols, to certain extent, but there's no way you would get mp7 internals into an SMG8 or vice versa and I fear it would be the same riffle wise although with the investment that they've put into their recoil shock range of aeg's it's highly unlikely we'll see a GBBR from them

Possibly. I would try my best to, anyways. xD

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd love a We Msk aka acr /masada seems to be decent enough out of the box ,

TM I'd love to see if they could use their pistol expertise to build a Hard Kick rifle ,

The MSK is said to be very good but I absolutely detest that raptor rail it has on the front

Also I imagine TM rifles being more or less a more expensive WA with better gas consumption. But would still have plastic body and pot metal internals.

I'm sort of coming to the realisation that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Getting a WE and RA-Teching it out to have a beast of a gun seems better to me than risking a TM one if it comes out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTstOQXlVJQ

Looks like the TM kicks hard to me!.

• Advertisement

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqMoXyUZig

But it does not kick as hard as this ^^^

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zTstOQXlVJQ

Looks like the TM kicks hard to me!.

I just jizzed myself… TM system + cerecoat metal externals = awww hells ya!!!!

EDIT: where can I sell a kidney cos that yoke ain't going to be cheap!

I'm sort of coming to the realisation that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Getting a WE and RA-Teching it out to have a beast of a gun seems better to me than risking a TM one if it comes out.

The only RA-teching you have to do is NPAS or maybe even a hop mod but the stock internals should last a year given our climate and fps limit

Personally I would only use steel components if I was using Co2 and only if I can get full steel internals including bolt an hop unit which is quite hard to do with anything other then the M4's SCAR's and AK/ SVD

The only RA-teching you have to do is NPAS or maybe even a hop mod but the stock internals should last a year given out climate and fps limit

WE Trigger boxes are awful, especially the hammers.

WE Trigger boxes are awful, especially the hammers.

Thought they fixed that with their 3rd gen models?

I would still get the full bang for buck and wear out the stock internals before upgrading to full steel kit

Thought they fixed that with their 3rd gen models?

I would still get the full bang for buck and wear out the stock internals before upgrading to full steel kit

My WE G36c's hammer died in about a week.

But then again, I bought it new from a shop and only later realised that they must have put 1,000+ rounds through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

My only gbbr is my GHK PDW. It came highly recommended but I've never been able to get it to work right. I've been back to MIA a couple of times and they say it's working right but it only ever fires off one or two shots for me before it jams up. I've followed all the procedures for loading it etc but still no joy. Don't think I'd buy another gbbr after this misadventure.

Well what's happened to it? Maybe we can help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Well what's happened to it? Maybe we can help?

Well you might have seen the oddysairsoft airsoft review of it on YouTube. Well I followed that for the loading procedure, ie pull back the cocking handle, engage the bolt catch, push the cocking handle back in, load the magazine, release the bolt catch and fire away, or not in my case.

I don't think it's ever fired off more than 2 or 3 rounds before it quits spitting out bbs. When I pull the cocking handle back to look into the ejection port, there's usually 2 or 3 bbs rolling around in there. I use King arms .25bbs and green gas. The gun is practically new and never had more than 50 bbs through it, mainly cause it won't fecking fire!

This gbbr has excellent reviews and I loved the thought of owning one with the realistic sound and kickback. As I was never the spray and pray type, the limited mag capacity wouldn't bother me. However the fact it won't fire more than a couple of rounds annoys the hell out of me. I had considered putting it up for sale here but I wouldn't sell a gun with "issues".

• Advertisement

Just to see if I can find anything, what version is it? I think they released version 1 through 3.

Advertisement