Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Chrome has malloc issues but didn't I go and write extensions for it that I use constantly in work... I'll put up with it for now and hope someone in Google who understands the unix philosophy is put in charge of the project. Luckily on Linux (Ubuntu/Mint) it's not as big of an issue.

Firefox is very good, and very well supported. Opera is like dating a hipster, it's fun and interesting until you have to actually rely on it for anything of substance.

Yeah, I've written extensions for it in the past because Firefox' extension dev experience was ****ing horrible. That was donkeys back, though, so things have hopefully improved on that front. Is chrome still 32bit on most platforms??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

English?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

dregin wrote: »
    Yeah, I've written extensions for it in the past because Firefox' extension dev experience was ****ing horrible. That was donkeys back, though, so things have hopefully improved on that front. Is chrome still 32bit on most platforms??

I actually couldn't tell you off the top of my head but given all of the child processes it's spawning I'd hazard a guess it is, or at least written to that spec. I always figured that was a workaround to increase the amount of memory available.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

English?

Yes, they're all available in English

• Administrators Posts: 53,564 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have a high dpi touch screen and I'm running Win 10 tech preview and Chrome is a disaster on it.

It keeps getting "sticky" touches, like I'll touch the screen but Chrome won't realise I've lifted my finger off, so it thinks I'm constantly touching the screen in 1 place. Which of course means if I touch it anywhere else to scroll it thinks I have two fingers touching it and it zooms.

It also makes the cursor disappear all the time and have to kill the process to close it.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I have a high dpi touch screen and I'm running Win 10 tech preview and Chrome is a disaster on it.

It keeps getting "sticky" touches, like I'll touch the screen but Chrome won't realise I've lifted my finger off, so it thinks I'm constantly touching the screen in 1 place. Which of course means if I touch it anywhere else to scroll it thinks I have two fingers touching it and it zooms.

It also makes the cursor disappear all the time and have to kill the process to close it.

In fairness to chrome, is this a build specifically for Windows 10 on touch screens or is it MS and their "new" notion that write once, run everywhere is totes doable?

/me waves two fingers at Sun Microsystems

dregin wrote: »
    In fairness to chrome, is this a build specifically for Windows 10 on touch screens or is it MS and their "new" notion that write once, run everywhere is totes doable?

/me waves two fingers at Sun Microsystems

It's not a specific Win10 build of Chrome. I suspect the sticky touches is probably a driver issue, but then again it only ever happens on Chrome. Not IE and not Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Have you tried turning it off and back on again...

Don't forget to tune into RTE 2 at 10pm for the first part of six of Conor McGregor's documentary... I may or may not have an invested interest in it :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't forget to tune into RTE 2 at 10pm for the first part of six of Conor McGregor's documentary... I may or may not have an invested interest in it :pac:

The one off documentary they did before was very good so I'll tune in tonight to see what this one is like.

• Advertisement

I like him. He's a breath of fresh air. I think he knows that he's acting the maggot but that's what will put arses on seats at the end of the day!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Have you tried turning it off and back on again...

Or hit it with a hammer...

I'm guessing that most of you hip city boys aren't watching "A Rare Breed" a farming year on utv now.

Silence in this house, as little eyes are wide open as to how the meat gets to the butchers or the potatoes get from the ground to the shop!!

I'm guessing that most of you hip city boys aren't watching "A Rare Breed" a farming year on utv now.

Silence in this house, as little eyes are wide open as to how the meat gets to the butchers or the potatoes get from the ground to the shop!!
    I need subtitles.

I'm from Armagh and I don't even understand those two Armagh yokes talking about ploughing.

I need subtitles.

I'm from Armagh and I don't even understand those two Armagh yokes talking about ploughing.

They make me laugh because I worked with lots of lads from around there and the accent is comical. You have to listen to every word and even at that some of their words are made up.

Mind you coming from Tyrone we have our own lingo...

Cowp = Fall Over

Err the road = Move out of the way

Due mind thon = Do you remember that

And so on...

So we've been going through the legal process involved in buying a house - contracts almost signed. Perfect house, outskirts of town, convenient for work, local schools etc. Quiet road, lovely view, great price. Best place we looked at by a long shot. Today we find out that the consultation process for a new outer bypass starts this week and they've published a draft plan with 5 alternate routes. The 2 most likely go within 25m of the house, so it would either be a CPO or have a dual carriageway out your back garden.... FML

Zzippy wrote: »
    So we've been going through the legal process involved in buying a house - contracts almost signed. Perfect house, outskirts of town, convenient for work, local schools etc. Quiet road, lovely view, great price. Best place we looked at by a long shot. Today we find out that the consultation process for a new outer bypass starts this week and they've published a draft plan with 5 alternate routes. The 2 most likely go within 25m of the house, so it would either be a CPO or have a dual carriageway out your back garden.... FML

Ah jeez man that's awful, your head must be wrecked. Are you going to walk away?

That is why my uncle who is a solicitor justifies his fees!! Sh*tty break tbh - would there be a huge amount of traffic on the carriageway?

Ah jeez man that's awful, your head must be wrecked. Are you going to walk away?

No idea yet. The documentation online for the consultation is pathetic, so gonna go to a public information session this week and hopefully get some proper info. Pain in me hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Brent Pope just nodded at me while driving past on vespa. The ****

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think Brent Pope just nodded at me while driving past on vespa. The ****

Must recognise you from the video preview you did for the season!

That is why my uncle who is a solicitor justifies his fees!! Sh*tty break tbh - would there be a huge amount of traffic on the carriageway?

Yeah I'd say it would be pretty busy alright. Hoping the other option is the one the engineers really want...

Yeah I'd say it would be pretty busy alright. Hoping the other option is the one the engineers really want...

Fingers crossed. Mind you I lived in the country for 20 years where we might have had 15 - 20 vehicles a day on our road. I left for Sydney and moved into an apartment on the main junction where Bondi Junction ends and the road to Bondi Beach begins...a seriously busy junction. After a week or 2 you really don't notice the noise - or maybe because I was drunk for most of that year!!

Yeah, was gonna say that. Grew up in the sticks and now live with 4 lanes of traffic at the end of the garden. Took very little time to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

erm...my job is designing those types of roads. a little cog in the machine

PM me if you like

RuggieBear wrote: »
    erm...my job is designing those types of roads. a little cog in the machine

PM me if you like

This is how things get done in Ireland. Few pms on boards, and RuggieBear will run that road right through some national historic monument instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is how things get done in Ireland. Few pms on boards, and RuggieBear will run that road right through some national historic monument instead.

Ha! Don't work in Ireland anymore...but tbh people are about the lowest priority (most of the time) versus environmentally and culturally designated constraints.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Ha! Don't work in Ireland anymore...but tbh people are about the lowest priority (most of the time) versus environmentally and culturally designated constraints.

As it should be really (Zzippy aside) in the long run those other concerns mostly have people in mind too.

Go out and find a snail zzippy...plant said snail in the back garden. Take picture of snail and then mail it to the planners/road department. Kick up a fuss about the snail's natural habitat and how it will have a detrimental effect on the snail's environment.

Bingo - a quick €80 million on an environmental/feasibility study and the road project will be cancelled. As the traffic nightmare becomes unbearable you can sit in your back garden (beer in hand) safe in the knowledge that road noise will never be a problem for you again!!

• Advertisement

People design roads?

Bit of tarmac, goes from A to B. What more is there to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement