Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Worth watching Newsnight last night to see the 'Leave' campaigner rowing back on the immigration issue. "We never said that we could stop immigration outside of the EU, just that it was a problem within the EU".

I think we should expect to see truckloads more of exactly that!

kuang1 wrote: »
    I think we should expect to see truckloads more of exactly that!

I'd imagine so. Still can't get my head around it. Really a perfect storm of political and social circumstances that led to 17 million people voting against their self interest.

Interestingly I've noticed on a number of publications and social media this morning a bit of a reality check for the leave camp as people now start to question what they were promised. The Farage interview did a lot of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Wondering what chance of a "Lisbon treaty" Re-referendum in 12 months if things go tits up as expected

Wondering what chance of a "Lisbon treaty" Re-referendum in 12 months if things go tits up as expected

Only way I could see if happening is if the Government folds (which is very possible) and a general election triggers, Labour might run on a return to Europe platform and if elected would hold a second referendum.

Realistically though if the Government collapsed tomorrow you would have to think UKIP would be the big winner and the UK would be in very serious trouble then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Norway have a better model than Switzerland for the record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So after just 24 hours the Leave campaign have already rowed back on their pledges to the NHS and on immigration...I'd love to say I'm shocked but their claims were always fanciful, unfortunately a lot of people fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/themen/fza_schweiz-eu-efta.html

https://www.ch.ch/en/working-switzerland-eu-efta/

Switzerland do have to accept Free Movement of people. It's basically the first condition of Single Market Entry.

I agree that it's reasonable that the UK will get a similar deal. Which will of course involve continuation of 3 of the main 'Leave' issues.
    • Freedom of Movement of People
    • Acceptance of EU Regulations and Laws (with even less of a say in them!)
    • Large contributions to the EU budget

Worth watching Newsnight last night to see the 'Leave' campaigner (Daniel Hannan) rowing back on the immigration issue. "We never said that we could stop immigration outside of the EU, just that it was a problem within the EU".

approx 1 min in

The Swiss people voted in 2014 to limit immigration from the EU. I think you should probably have a look at that and the fallout from it rather than listing the treaties that predated it.

Where did Dan Hannan say anything like that? You've attributed an entirely false quote to him, he's rowed back on nothing. Dan Hannan is by far the most reasonable and educated (on this issue) voice on the Leave side.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    So after just 24 hours the Leave campaign have already rowed back on their pledges to the NHS and on immigration...I'd love to say I'm shocked but their claims were always fanciful, unfortunately a lot of people fell for it.

What is actually happening is that there has been a referendum where one side, Leave, was particularly disorganised and had offshoots led by particularly mad demagogues and there were multiple groups of people making different arguments for leaving and promises about what would happen, independent of each other. Then in the days afterwards the Press have decided that they should all be responsible for everything they all said, even if they didn't say it.

Nigel Farage gets asked about Gove/Johnson's promises on the NHS and says correctly that he never made that promise and a bunch of people who obviously weren't paying much attention make it into a news story. Then the same thing happens where Hannan is getting asked to deal with the particularly poinsonous arm of the campaign that was led by Farage and his millionaire mate.

People should stop wasting their time with that childishness and maybe the press will spend their time engaging on what happens next. Or at least ask the people to deal with their own promises. Ask Farage how on earth he's going to do anything about immigration, and ask Hannan about the new relationship and it's implications on sovereignty, the budget (NHS) and trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The Swiss people voted in 2014 to limit immigration from the EU. I think you should probably have a look at that and the fallout from it rather than listing the treaties that predated it.

The treaties that predates it are the only existing legal frameworks we have to go on. The Swiss may have voted to curtail EU immigration but they have yet to implement laws to do so. That isn't due to happen until next year. And based on the existing treaties it's contrary to their agreements with the EU. AFAIK there has been no deal done to date that will continue to allow them free access to the EU market while also allowing them limit immigration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

New thread here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement