Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

80 gross yesterday in Topgolfer Killeen SSC.

Disappointing number but actually played very reasonably, so a little bit of encouragement. Played solid the front 9 and felt unlucky to be +4 but made a nice birdie on 10 to get to +3. Then disaster struck on 11; carved my drive right into what I thought were trees, but turned out to be a hazard. Had no real drop and eventually hacked my way to a quadruple bogey 8, to put a bit of a downer on proceedings.

Hit a miracle shot from the trees on 12 to 3 feet, then missed the putt for birdie, before holing from off the green on 13 for a three. Made good pars on 14 and 15 before driving into another unseen hazard right on 16. Made 6 there, very annoying because it's easily the most birdieable par 5 on the course imo.
    Made a good par 4 on 17 and then hit probably my best shot of the day on the par 3 18th, a cut up 5 iron that never left the pin. Sadly, it was a club too many and I ran through the green. A scruffy chip and a missed 5 footer later and and 80 was registered.

CSS was a remarkably high 76, so thanks to my exploits down 11 and rule 19.8, I actually lost .1! Unexpected but not undeserved; played decent for the first time in a while so looking forward to next few weeks.

Shot 84 in the JSC which I was amazed got me into the buffer as the conditions were ideal after the storm on Sat. Opposite to above my score felt better than I played as I couldn't hit a green despite driving reasonably well. The poor iron striking put serious pressure on my short game which saved me on the front 9 turning in +3. The back 9 was a bit of a disaster with 3 doubles with two of those on par 3s from poor tee shots.
    It was my first time playing the course
    First time playing the course also and glad to have parred the index 1 15th and index 5 17th which were two of the tougher holes on the course with plenty of water in play and two of the very few holes I was on in regulation. However really annoyed with the increased price of €28 for the scratch cup when their normal weekend open competition price is €20 so not sure I'd be so keen to play it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Had a gross 77 tonight in match play 6 over off 14 won 3&2 haven't played that well in an awful long time putted very well also was only +1 for the back 9

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Played Killarney Friday last in Golf Digest. Great day but tear-inducing, godawful golf. Worst I have played in years. +7 for front nine, stopped counting come 14! Actually scrambled well to make bogies as my snap hooks with driver were killing me. Killing me. Head was scrambled after a few holes. This after the finest few months of driving at the beginning of the year that I've ever had. I suppose some small little unseen swing change can lead to a 'speed wobble' and suddenly you're in the ditch wondering how the hell you got there! Oh well. That's golf. Back up on the horse with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

Played the first round of our singles match play tonight in Ballykisteen. I got drawn against one of our Pierce Purcell team, we were off the blue tees and were facing the same tough pin positions as were used in the Vice Captains prize last Sunday. He was off 14 and I am off 17 so I was getting 3 shots. We halved the first but I lost the next 3 holes in a row to go 3 down after 4. I eventually got back to all square followings pars on 11 and 12 and got 2 up after 15 before proceeding to win 2 up in the end.

Very happy to get the win and particularly the way I battled back after such a terrible start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Played second round matchplay yesterday against a player in form and played my best round ever (gross 84, HC 17) on my home course and it was off the back stakes and it was windy and there was rain. Had to play that well too since he still took it to the 17th.
    Carded one triple (hrrrngfff), two doubles and 9 pars. Shaved a good few birdie attempts. Still hit a few iffy shots, but I recovered well from them and overall I will remember some absolute crackers that I had too.
    I think the difference was that my short game was useful instead of my usual highly suspect. Quite happy with myself. Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Played in a fourball fundraiser today, 41 points on my own card, 1 over on the back 9.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It finally came good! Had 84 gross for 67 nett in our medal yesterday. My driving which has been great for the last few weeks was shocking but the rest of game was on song. A treble on index 1 was the only poor hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Having got to 9.2 in the last week I was anxious to try and play a few games in 'the buffer' as on two previous occasions I had got to 9.4 and went straight back out to 10. Had crept to 9.3 and really feel it was a mental thing. Played this morning and had 40pts which should give me a small cut and a little scope to work with. No heroics on the course but just steady. I am thrilled to be honest as single figures has always been my goal. Think I will really need to buckle down to maintain it but for me its like winning the claret jug..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Got thirty points off 18.

The most ive ever gotten. 2 days earlier I had 12 points on same course

Got thirty points off 18.

The most ive ever gotten. 2 days earlier I had 12 points on same course

'What a difference a day makes' - or maybe two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

37 points off 13 this morning, steady play, driving was good but putting let me down again.
    Course was in lovely shape, greens as fast as I've seen them before and they just got a new machine that will leave a very fine sand that will make them even quicker!!
    Had 3 bunker saves for par so delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

millerj wrote: »
    'What a difference a day makes' - or maybe two!

Im frustratingly inconsistent. Especially with a putter. On the upside I csn tell the wife I need more practice

Im frustratingly inconsistent. Especially with a putter. On the upside I csn tell the wife I need more practice

Ha ha....just decided I am going to go over and play nine now and used the one about the putter. That being said I suppose I could have said driver or irons but will save them for another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A bizarre game of golf today. Got off to my worst start ever I think on a golf course. 3 scratches followed by a 1 pointer, so 1 point through 4 holes.

Then 5th hole, pulled drive into the trees, knocked the ball out to leave about 110yrds in. Holed a wedge for birdie & 4 points.kicked on from there. 8 points for the last 4 on the front 9 to turn on 13 points.

Something suddenly switched on the back 9, started driving straight & hitting some greens. Had 21 points coming in, but it could have been really great scoring.

10th, good drive, good approach, missed a very makeable birdie putt, but an easy par.

11th, good up & door for par.

12th, great drive, 130 left to pin. Left it short & didn't make up & down, so finished with bogey.

13th, par 3, iron to 8 ft, again missed birdie, safe par.

14th, drive, wedge, putt for birdie.

15th, drive, wedge, 3 putt bogey :(

16th, good up & down for par

17th, 8 iron to centre of green, bad 3 putt for bogey.

18th, ok drive, bad 2nd blocked me out with my approach. Had to knock out short. Left a wedge in, hit it pin high, about 10ft left for par, just missed it for a bogey finish.

So 3 over for back 9, could easily have been level par or better. But I guess it's better to start bad & finish strong than to start strong & finish badly

1 point for 1st 4 holes, 33 for following 14. should sneak buffer hopefully.

Just waiting for everything to click, it has to come sooner or later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

75 gross off 3 in Monthly Medal around Lucan GC.

Still not really sure how to explain this score but here goes. Nice par on one and a really nice birdie on 2 to go -1. Played the 3rd like a dream, drive, wedge, 12 footer and I was -2. Chipped in on 4: -3. Made a 16 footer on 5 for another birdie and pitched it to 3 feet on 6. After 6 holes, I was 5 under par gross. Many thoughts going through my mind at this stage as you can imagine, but tried to stay positive.

Back left pin on 7, ripped a 6 iron to the par 3 but was disappointed to see it go over the green. Played a good chip but ran 10 feet past, and wasn't able to make the par. Pushed drives off 8 and 9 led to further bogeys and all of a sudden I was on a train. Parred 10 for a brief respite but 3 putted 11 to go back to -1. I was very unlucky with my drive off 12 and bogied to go back to level before another bogey on 13, where an extremely narrow drive can make it something of a lottery.

Hit a good one on 14 but an awful second shot, a duck hook with a rescue, and I found the hazard: double bogey. To find myself at 3 over standing on the 15th tee after being -5 an hour earlier was a sickening feeling. I was really quite lucky to par the next three holes; I was still trying but head was blown I think. Hit 2 great shots into the greenside bunker at the par 5 18th, but splashed out long and 3 putted from there for a 6 and a round of +4.

Gutted doesn't do it justice. Have tried to reflect on what went wrong and even though I know I felt nervous throughout the streak, the shots dropped were a result of a couple of non-committal swings, one really stupid shot (14), one or two bad breaks and a devastatingly inadequate short game. I can only hope I'll have a couple more decent starts over the next few weeks and that I'm able to take advantage of them next time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

35pts off 15 in Moate today. Course in great condition and the sunshine makes such a difference. Good front 9 with 20pts but I'm still struggling to keep it going for the back 9 as well. At least it wasn't a total collapse like last weekend. Progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Played in a 9 hole comp today. All we could get out for with Jimmy bruen qualifying on in our home club. Really happy with the round 19points off 12 with a scratch :o 6 pars, 2 bogies (both stayed on lip of hole for par) and a triple long par 4 index 4 drive into trees, chip out sideways, 5iron to edge of green up had to go across at ridge sideways with putter and it just got quicker and quicker and ran off edge of green duffed two easy chips up just cause I didn't commit to shot and then putt in...chronic bad hole ruin a a good round that could have been so much better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

+11 Gross off 6. I couldn't get going, hit my driver great all day but no putts would drop, 18 2-putts, and strangely I felt good with the putter, my short game was horrendous though and I gave myself very few chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

32 in Sunday Stableford in the best of condition. Was not fantastic but very solid on the front with worst score bogey and 20 points then faltered on the back as soon as some dinky little chips were required. My achilles heel. You know the ones where the ball is sitting down in the stuff but needs to go only like 10 or 12 years and you need short but solid smooth committed action. Taking it back too far then decelerating. Scratched 2 holes and 1-pointed two more because of it and once confidence was shattered played far too negatively and couldn't even take advantage of the closing run which is often good for 2 or 3 more pars. Thankfully my buddy called over that night and gave me a lesson on short chips. Easy enough after a while but doing it when it matters will be a different thing again. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Muck. In a slump over the last few weeks. Feel I can't trust any area of the game right now. Losing a ball a round at least.

A few swing changes going on so game in in transition. Also I've kinda let up on the range in the good weather. Could well be the problem. Going tonight.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

35 on Saturday in Stableford.

Uninspiring round without a par on the front 9 steady bogey golf. GIR was very poor and never got up and down for par

back 9 was better driving got better as the round went on, a poor scratch on 16th due to course management took on an impossible instead of a sideways pitch.

Captains Prize next weekend need to get some improvement in for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Guy in our club off 12 (knightsbrook) in the medal (7271 yards), birdied first two holes (indexes 2 & 4). Nice start. How about his for a finish? Birdies 17 (par 5) and off the back tees which is about 190 yards, has a hole in one to win the Medal by one shot. Outrageous.

He's a lovely guy, its one a million stuff.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Monthly medal off the blues yesterday, tough pins thrown in with some mad lenghts (two par 3's >220yards, three par 4's ~450yards) and fast greens so just the three pars, nine bogeys, five doubles and a quad on the 570yard par 5 with OOB/water everywhere.
    Here's hoping its not yet another reductions only ...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

3 down in v-par off the whites. 3 up after 4 but a series of duffed chips, bad long irons and poor putting had me 1 down at the turn.

More of the same on the back nine. My horror shot, a high, hooking drive, has made a reappearance. Don't know where it came from, driving has been very good for over a year. It is the most destructive shot - it goes about 150 yds, about 45 degrees off to the left - worse than a dose of the sh**ks. My head is fried from it.

Damn you, Golf, Damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

First ever round breaking 90! 89 today off the whites and it could have been a little better if I had taken my time over a few short putts and if I had managed my round a little better.

Delighted though, really seeing progress in the last few weeks. I'm playing off 18 but have never shot close to that handicap. Only one scratched hole which is a record for me. Driving the ball brilliantly, I don't know exactly what I'm doing differently but my slice is gone - long (for me) and straight now consistently off the tee, its really helped my game. Can't wait to get out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Getting a little frustrated with the game at the moment. For the most part my game is in great shape but I keep fecking up a couple of holes a round which is wrecking good, sometimes really good scores. For example on Tuesday last when playing an away course I hadn't played for years, I was going great after 8 holes, only +3 and could easily have been +1. Then on the 9th I hit a poor drive, then a second into trees, eventually walking off with a treble, then on the next hole, put my drive into trees, lose the ball and eventually tap in for a quadruple bogey. From +3 to +10 in 2 holes. But then played the last 8 in +2. WTF! (unfortunately this was just a casual game, would surely have been a decent cut with the clause 19 adjustments that would have been in effect)

Also managed to put two 8's on the last 2 qualifying scores, pretty much instantly consigning me to 0.1s.

Need to work on my reaction to bad shots. In all of the last three rounds I have had the really bad holes all came together before settling it down again. I'm getting knocked off track very easily at the minute and that's what is most frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Very disappointing but encouraging rounds on Friday and Sunday.

37 points on Friday while not playing too well in the open singles. Put myself in quiet a lot of trouble off the tee on front 9 and shot 16 points. Much better on the back 9 shooting 1 over for 21 points. Very happy with how I was holing the short putts to keep the score going. Pity standard scratch was 37 aswell so no cut.

Onto Sunday and the v-par competition. Got thru the first 4 holes 1 down mainly thru a poor pitch on the 3rd but really got going then hitting every fairway and green from 4 to 12 to be 1 under and 6up. Then I started writing my speech!!! :) disappointing bogey on par 3 13 when hitting only a 7 iron but then it went really downhill with a double on 14 from the middle of the fairway :( didn't play too badly over last few holes but my putting deserted me and I bogied the final 3 for a score of 2 down :( no prize and only 4up won :(

I'm very encouraged by the round though and hopefully can hit it as well as I did off the tee in tullamore on Sunday in the JSC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Decent spin around Royal Curragh yesterday, first time playing there. Not an overly long course if you hit fairways - I had 2 eagle putts for the first time in years (and missed both!! :mad:) Very tricky par 3's though.

2 birdies
    3 pars
    9 bogies
    3 doubles
    1 oops

Most of my bogies and doubles should have been better, I turned only 4 over - one of my best front 9's in a while. Let the good score slip on the back after starting with a par. I feckin 4 putted one of the par 3's on the back 9 as well. :mad::mad:
    Still, should be a cut and that's progress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Decent spin around Royal Curragh yesterday, first time playing there. Not an overly long course if you hit fairways - I had 2 eagle putts for the first time in years (and missed both!! :mad:) Very tricky par 3's though.

2 birdies
    3 pars
    9 bogies
    3 doubles
    1 oops

Most of my bogies and doubles should have been better, I turned only 4 over - one of my best front 9's in a while. Let the good score slip on the back after starting with a par. I feckin 4 putted one of the par 3's on the back 9 as well. :mad::mad:
    Still, should be a cut and that's progress. :)

Is that 39 points for you? If so, you should get a decent cut and be back off 18. Bloody bandit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Is that 39 points for you? If so, you should get a decent cut and be back off 18. Bloody bandit!

38 and back to 18 alright, haven't heard what the CSS was yet. 39 points won Cat 3 as well :(

I know the game is there for a much lower handicap, putting it together for a full round is the problem but is getting better.

Advertisement