Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Club match play myself and partner won on 14.
    4 over for 14
    1 bird
    1 double
    3 bogeys
    Rest pars

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

31 points but I'm feeling more positive these days. Just need a few more putts to drop and hopefully see handicap dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Club match play myself and partner won on 14.
    4 over for 14
    1 bird
    1 double
    3 bogeys
    Rest pars

That's very solid play, how many shots were you giving him at all? Sounds like you were up against a right bandit.

I don't particularly mind loosing a matchplay game if I play poorly but nothing quite like the defeat of playing well and loosing early to someone with a better handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

41 points in my clubs mid week open today should give a nice cut and hopefully a chance at a prize. Was a lovely morning for golf so scoring could begood and the CCS might be 37-38

8 pars
    6 bogies
    2 doubles
    1 treble
    1 scratch

32 putts best putting day in a long tI'm but still 3 had three 3 putts....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

32pts in Newlands yesterday have to say I didn't know much about the course, all reports I seen was its flat and not much else. but I taught it was a absolute gem of a course and very enjoyable with some lovely holes don't know how it doesn't get better reviews, the club house and practice facilities are second to none..

Found the greens very tricky and took me 9 holes till I found my way on them. Its a course you really have to pick your landing area of the tee else your blocked out for your approach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Drove the ball miles last night, chipping started off a bit ropey but came good after a few holes, no duff chips around greens (my Achilles heel) putter actually worked for a change and lots were dropping.......and still only scored in the buffer due to a few brain farts during the round. Stupid silly mistakes cost me a decent score yet again. Am still getting used to the distances with my irons and got caught out a few times by going over greens with approach shots. All left tricky to impossible chips back on. Game is getting there and I can feel it getting closer, last few rounds have been very consistent apart from putting (well except last Monday in the wind / rain but that's a different story!!!)

Hi-light of the day / year / my golfing life was my approach to the 18th - a hole I have never parred. Its a demon long par 4 to an uphill green. Not a great drive to the left rough but the ball was sitting up so took out the 3 wood and bang, 2 foot from the pin!!! Got my birdie!! Great buzz to finish the round.

1 Birdie
    4 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    5 Doubles
    2 Oops (which were avoidable)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

benny79 wrote: »
    32pts in Newlands yesterday have to say I didn't know much about the course, all reports I seen was its flat and not much else. but I taught it was a absolute gem of a course and very enjoyable with some lovely holes don't know how it doesn't get better reviews, the club house and practice facilities are second to none..

Found the greens very tricky and took me 9 holes till I found my way on them. Its a course you really have to pick your landing area of the tee else your blocked out for your approach.

I'd agree on the whole Benny, its quite a nice little parkland trek. It is a little tight in places but there are some very nice holes.

In terms of putting there, I was given some advice, basically all the greens overall slope towards the front gate so you should take that into consideration when hitting any approach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

3 worse than level 2 today at Strandhill, tough day wind was gusting like hell.

Beautiful course, some great views.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

81 strokes for +11 and 36pts in Birr off the blues. Beautiful course,

Ben1977 wrote: »
    81 strokes for +11 and 36pts in Birr off the blues. Beautiful course,

Nice course isn't it? Played there in the Gale force wind and rain on Monday and still enjoyed it!!

Great score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

charlieIRL wrote:
    Nice course isn't it? Played there in the Gale force wind and rain on Monday and still enjoyed it!!

That's only cause of the company...the new 5th is still a stupid hole though!!!

shaunac93 wrote: »

Company helped a lot alright!!

5th hole, yeah right, use the pw!! You know if ye hadn't shagged off further up the hole I could have taken a penalty drop and played in? (Would have prob hit the water though!!! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    ....and still only scored in the buffer due to a few brain farts during the round.

CSS was 74 so you actually were only 1 shot short of a cut, d'oh!

A bit disappointed with my own game last night. Far too many sloppy shots, often giving myself 4-6 foot bogey putts, sank most of them but can't keep putting that kind of pressure on your putting.

Game is generally in very good shape, driving is under best control ever (but still a lot of room for improvement), irons are generally good and putting is ok. Only weak point is the chipping, only had one tap in last night from greenside chips, needs to be much better than that if I'm serious about getting into single figures.

Out again on Sunday and it's stroke play. Looking forward to it as loads of people hate it and talk themselves into bad scores, will make it easier for me to try and win!!

shaunac93 wrote: »

Lovely hole but it doesn't actually fit in with the rest of the course. Feels like a links hole. When was it changed?

Ben1977 wrote:
    Lovely hole but it doesn't actually fit in with the rest of the course. Feels like a links hole. When was it changed?

It could b a nice hole if they didn't have the green facing the wrong way !! Impossible to land ball on green if taking on water and bunker so have to waste a shot and lay up and you better hope you short game is good to get your up and down!!

Was changed about 5 year ago but we only use it for the summer cause it can be wet. Play the old course for winter and most of members prefer old course (Celtic tiger has us in serious depth with a course that was perfect before the change ) but I'm sure we are not only club in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Good to see the "no chat allowed" is in full swing. Charlie will go mad ;)

29 points today in Castlewarden. Pretty happy with that as it was my first round in 4 weeks and wasn't sure how an injury would hold up.

Some terrible golf but some very good stuff thrown in. 2 woeful scratches to finish both 9's... but birdies on 7 & 17 will get me back. Should have gone birdie, birdie on 7 & 8 but just lipped out.
    Out again in the morning. God it's good to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    Good to see the "no chat allowed" is in full swing. Charlie will go mad ;)

29 points today in Castlewarden. Pretty happy with that as it was my first round in 4 weeks and wasn't sure how an injury would hold up.

Some terrible golf but some very good stuff thrown in. 2 woeful scratches to finish both 9's... but birdies on 7 & 17 will get me back. Should have gone birdie, birdie on 7 & 8 but just lipped out.
    Out again in the morning. God it's good to be back.

Winning score was 35, just missed out on buffer as css was 75. Feeling even better after the lay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PARlance wrote: »
    Good to see the "no chat allowed" is in full swing. Charlie will go mad ;) .

CharlBo lol ;)

Rikand wrote: »
    CharlBo lol ;)

Hey now!

Am raging about Thursday now, was on for a great score and all. Next time.

Rikand wrote: »
    CharlBo lol ;)

Hey now!

Am raging about Thursday now, was on for a great score and all. Next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

2 matchplay games this week, club singles on Wednesday and a no shot game with a guy who was in good form of late, i won it on the 17th but neither of us played particularly well, I just played less bad.
    Then played my first game in the Irish Matchplay on Thursday, away in Portnoo, he was giving me 2 shots and I knew I'd need them. Didn't play bad at all, couple of holes lost just by not knowing where to put the ball (lot of blind shots in Portnoo), and my putting never got going. I was 4 down on 12, pulled it back to 1 down on the 15th, with holding a 25ft putt for bridie that probably frightened him, as I'm sure he was more than confident at that stage. The 16th is a trickly short downhill par 3. Wind severely off the left, hit a perfect 9 iron down the left edge of the green but the wind never took it, hit the slope and kicked away from the green. He put his to 8 feet and I couldn't even get up and down.
    Dormie on 17 and its a monster par 4, not what I needed against a big hitter, both on the green with 8ft &12ft putts for par, I didn't even threaten the hole with mine, just wasn't my day.
    We only halved one hole in bogeys all day and that was a very hard par 3, very enjoyable match with a great guy but disappointing in the end.

Absolutely delighted with my round of golf this morning in portarlington. Pity it was only a practise match for match play comp next week but still had the scorecard and serious money and bragging rights to be had between myself and partner.

went around in 83 (2 better than tiger :P) for a score of +9 off 12. First time i played to my handicap all year and even bet it and could have been so much better.

a treble on the first from a shocking 3 putt after getting straight out of car onto tee and rushing putts while not concentrating!! Onto second and a hooked drive left a chip out and missed the up and down so made bogie. There was 1/3 of my shots for round gone and hadn't even played into the wind yet hardly :p

my luck and confidence and everything changed then on par 3 3rd. Hit a 5wood thats at least 20yrs old as sweet as possible 160yrd into a gale and onto green. took the two putts for par. went on to play next 12 holes in +2 (1bird, 8pars, and 3 bogies).

16,17 and 18 are tough holes esp the first two very tight with ob all along right hand side and water left. Unfortunatly a lost ball meant double on 16. 17 was a bogie after being slightly right off tee and not getting the up and down. And then had another boring aul par on 18 to wrap you what i felt was a great day.

Few things in this round make me really excited:
    first off if i focused from start of round i could and should have been at least 2 better after 2.
    next i played 12 holes as if i was scratch player (1 bird, 10 pars, 1 bogie)
    driver didnt behave for most of day which is very unusual for me..goes to show saying is true (drive for show putt for dough)
    starting to think handicap hopes and prediction might even be achievable
    was only 3 over with my better ball if i did hit one :P (i know doesnt count)

who would have though a 10min free lesson in RCD last weekend could make such a difference (had weight on my toes rather than whole foot)

Really excited for the weather to get better and see can i capitalise on it and get the h/c low :):)

hit more GIR but worse Fairway accurcy, scrambling improving and putting improving too :)
    Overall: birdies:1 pars:10 bogies:5 double:1 stupid:1

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

38 points off of 12 in Castleisland yesterday with my society yesterday. I won on the back 9 :) Played solid enough, got a break or two. Lost a ball on the 9th and ended up blanking it which infuriated me for a few mins but then I recomposed myself and was +3 for the back 9. Overall 10 pars, 7 bogeys and a triple.

88 strokes in VC prize off 11, chipping demons are back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

87 strokes in medal today for net 75, computer was predicting CSS of 75 so no impact to handicap.

Left knee giving me some trouble last couple of weeks & it was bad today from about the 5th hole.

Could (should) have been a few shots better off today. On the whole played really well but 3 shots cost me heavily.

5th hole, slightly pulled drive into an area with some trees but nothing too heavy resulted in a lost ball & a trip back to the tee box, resulted in a triple 7 after starting par par bogey par (bogey on the index 1)

10th hole, short par 4, took an iron off the tee for position, but again slightly pulled & a bad bounce dropped ball into hazard with no shot once I dropped, resulted in a double 6.

Then 13th, index 18 par 3,underclubbed by 1 & again a slight pull resulted in another in the hazard & a double 5.

So dropped 7 of my 15 over on 3 holes all due to lost balls that shouldn't have happened.

Was really pretty happy with how I was hittibg it today. Take the silly mistakes out & I could have put together a really good round. I've learned from this.

Trip to the physio this week for my knee. Hopefully nothing too major, can feel a proper score coming up soon if I can stay fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Mixed feelings about a bad score today in a strokeplay comp, went around in 92 (+20) off 12. Started off steady until a disastrous 4th hole, duffed my second shot, a nine iron into long grass, then hit my third about five yards and it somehow got wedged in a twig! obviously couldn't move it so just whacked it and went miles over the back of the green. Walked off with an 8. Then had a bad double on the next, and then a treble on the next! Finished the front 9 in 50 (FIFTY), so big I had to write it down......

But back 9 was much better. Despite yet another double on the 10th, leaving me at +17 after 10. Finally parred a hole on the 11th and it got me out of the rut. Finished with 5 pars and 3 bogies on the last 8 holes. Ironically my 42 back nine was my best back 9 in ages :-)

The 7 hole run where I dropped 15 shots was easily the worst stretch of holes for many years, but it was nice to finish very strong. So I'll take the positives and move on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Shot a 90 yesterday in Int Scratch.

Started with a four putt on the first for a treble and then went double, double, double treble. Somehow I managed to get back on track and finish in the buffer!

82 won the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Stroke off the blues yesterday in a quilifier went driver 8i putt for birdie on the 1st came home in 96 strokes haha 13.2 stupid .1s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

80 gross yesterday in Topgolfer Killeen SSC.

Disappointing number but actually played very reasonably, so a little bit of encouragement. Played solid the front 9 and felt unlucky to be +4 but made a nice birdie on 10 to get to +3. Then disaster struck on 11; carved my drive right into what I thought were trees, but turned out to be a hazard. Had no real drop and eventually hacked my way to a quadruple bogey 8, to put a bit of a downer on proceedings.

Hit a miracle shot from the trees on 12 to 3 feet, then missed the putt for birdie, before holing from off the green on 13 for a three. Made good pars on 14 and 15 before driving into another unseen hazard right on 16. Made 6 there, very annoying because it's easily the most birdieable par 5 on the course imo.
    Made a good par 4 on 17 and then hit probably my best shot of the day on the par 3 18th, a cut up 5 iron that never left the pin. Sadly, it was a club too many and I ran through the green. A scruffy chip and a missed 5 footer later and and 80 was registered.

CSS was a remarkably high 76, so thanks to my exploits down 11 and rule 19.8, I actually lost .1! Unexpected but not undeserved; played decent for the first time in a while so looking forward to next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Walking off the 6th green on saturday with 14 points and my dreadful OTT slice cured i began to dream about all the money i would make from the book i would write about the two easy steps you need to correct your slice.

12 holes and and a further 11 points ensures that i have not fixed it and i wont be writing my book. :-(

Advertisement