Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Level Bar Gross in Captains Prize yesterday. Strange round on a blustery day. Started off by driving to about 40 yards of the first. Pitch to 10 feet and a nice 3 putt bogey to start the day. Followed up with a drive and wedge to 20 feet on the 2nd and ended up holing a 5 footer for a six to avoid a 5-putt. To be honest, could have walked in then. Parred the 3rd and hit a nice wedge to 4. When we walked up there was no sign of it wither on or over the green. Playing partners checked the hole and there it was. Absolute bonus.

Opened up after that and birdied the 5th. Parred 6-10 with decent chances on most of them. Then went birdie,birdie, birdie on 11,12 & 13 to be 3 under. Another 3 putt from long distance on the index 1 14th stopped the momentum. A big drive to 30 yards short of 15 did not garner a birdie. 7 iron over the back of 16 was followed by a missed 4 footer. Drive and 3 iron to the par 5 17th was followed by a poor chip and missed putt which was disappointing as the hard work had been done getting greenside into a stiff breeze.

Hit a great drive down 18 and was left with a 4 iron to the par 5. waited for about 5 minutes until the green cleared and ended up putting it into under the lip on the greenside bunker. was later told by the group in from that it was a foot away from missing it and rolling down to about 10 feet on the hole. Splashed out to 20 feet and followed that with another nice 3 putt missing from 3 feet for par. To be honest, How I stopped myself chucking the putter into the lake was an achievement.

Putting is now a serious issue. Striking the ball lovely but making an absolute mess of it on the greens. Going on now close to 2 years which is taking all the enjoyment out of playing. It's not a practice issue as I spend as much time practising the putting that I do any other part of the game. If anyone can recommend a good putting instructor in Dublin, Can you please pass his/her name on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

35 points in captain's prize made a balls of the 2nd and 4th holes and should have birdied the 1st and 15th missed from inside 5ft on both.

course was fantastic and captain resisted the urge to put the pins in crazy places. only crib i have is that they rolled/ironed the greens and they never do that for any other day and i dont understand why they dont do it more often

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

24 points on a Championsip course on a work outing. Still not playing anywhere near my HC (17) and I'm not a long hitter so the length of the holes was always going to be a killer.

Drove well and hybrids were great for the first time this year. 3 scratches where I went into greenside bunkers, really need to work on this area.

Horrible end to the day as it seems i got a bout of food poisoning from the post round fish & chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was in Limerick for the weekend and played the JSC in Adare Golf Club. Never played the course before and as the No1 ranked parkland in Ireland it's been on the wishlist for quite some time. Day was quite windy with a lot of showers but otherwise that's where my excuses for poor play ended.

Course was immaculated presented with greens rolling fast and true. Started with a good par on No1 after missing my birdie from 10 feet but thereafter had a poor string of 7 bogies in a row either due to missed GIR or being so far from the difficult pins resulting in 3 putts over the undulating greens. Found it very difficult to get close either on 2nd shots or little pitch/chip shots from around the green with the severe slopes and speed of the greens.
    Turned in +7 and started the back 9 in better form going par, par, birdie but then proceeded to hit my typical bad shot, a big pull hook left, into the trees on 13 for a lost ball resulting in a double bogie 6. Steadied the ship a little after with two decent pars on 14 and 15 but had two really sloppy bogies on 16 and 17 to make another 0.1 inevitable. Hit a good drive down against the wind on 18 in the centre of the fairway but ball was half buried in a deep divot. (Can't understand the rule not having relief from divots on fairways) Wouldn't have gone for the green anyway as was still 260 yards to the pin but the divot made for a difficult second shot resulting in a pushed shot right into long grass from where I proceeded to dunk it into the water and finish up with a disasterous 8 to cap a disappointing round of 85 of which 34 were putts.

Great course, greens, presentation and such an ideallic setting and glad to have had the opportunity to play the course. Still not sure I'd rank it the no1 parkland in Ireland though, fabulous par 5s overall but found the back 9 much more trilling than the front. Will have to give it another go sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Hackers

42 points in a society competition in Galway Bay on Saturday, 86 gross, an all time best! Had scores of 24 and 28 in 2 open competitions earlier in the week so was not expecting that! Current GUI is 19.9.

I returned the card to my home club yesterday as I know that you are supposed to return Society scores if you beat SSS. Will I be cut now by my home club for that score? I have read elsewhere that I may not as handicap secretary possibly takes note of the card but may only cut me at the end of the year by considering other Society cards I might return later in the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

played my first ever competition on saturday - only got my handicap last week (12)

Scored 30 points where I played really poorly. I was GIR on 4 holes, 2 par 3s and 2 5s which points at some really poor iron play.
    Another competition this Saturday so hopefully I will shoot closer to my handicap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Played yesterday and had a great front 9 (19 points) but fell apart on the back (33 total) so another .1 back so 11.1 now.
    Was sick all week and was not going to play at all but having missed out on all the good weather I wanted (needed) to play!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

millerj wrote: »
    Having got to 9.2 in the last week I was anxious to try and play a few games in 'the buffer' as on two previous occasions I had got to 9.4 and went straight back out to 10. Had crept to 9.3 and really feel it was a mental thing. Played this morning and had 40pts which should give me a small cut and a little scope to work with. No heroics on the course but just steady. I am thrilled to be honest as single figures has always been my goal. Think I will really need to buckle down to maintain it but for me its like winning the claret jug..!!!

Incredible....Played yesterday morning and had a 79 gross (70 nett) in our Scratch Cup. Good enough for a .6 cut following on from last week's cut. Down to 8.2 now..! Extremely unchartered territory for me. To think I would play off 9 for a bit was a dream. To be now off 8 completely unthinkable. Just hope I can stay there for a bit and who knows, onwards and upwards (sorry downwards). Nothing brilliant again but just steady golf, in fact probably feel I left two or three shots out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Got picked for the Jimmy Bruen then promoted to Barton Cup last Wed.

Played Barton cup for Woodenbridge Vs Mt. Wolsely in morning and won my match on 18th. (was 3 down after 11)
    I was a bag of nerves for last 2 holes.

Had meal and pint and then played in club competition starting about 6pm.

Was 3 over after 10 then kinda got tired but finished with a net 68.

Got cut 0.9 and then another 0.5 for Exceptional Scoring Reduction.

A very good day but was tired.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Another decent round of golf this evening. 40 points in our open singles. 19 out and 21 coming home. I'm still not holing many putts and that cost me the win. I 3 putted 16 and 17 and that would have got the win. Still though another cut and one cut away from my goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

71 Gross in Lucan in the semi open last night. Little improvement on the putting compared to the weekend. Greens are lightening quick at the moment and very difficult to chip on.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

78 in Dooks yesterday. 1 bird 9 pars and the rest bogeys. Happy that I didn't have any doubles but should have parred at least one of the last two holes. Second time breaking 80 in the last wk after 18+ months of trying, so am delighted. Just want to keep my form going and reproduce it in competition and get my handicap down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

73 gross for 40 points around Rathcore, great little course with very tricky greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Played earlier in the Thursday Open at the Royal Curragh.

Course in great shape and the playing conditions where grand apart from some high winds and drizzle towards the end.

Finished on 38pts with 20 out and 18 coming back. A silly scratch on the 15th a par 3 from just off green (4 Putt :eek::eek:) cost me a chance to hit 40pts.

Still quite happy how I played and will have another cut albeit a bit smaller than it should have been. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

26pts in Waterville yesterday in a gale! Weather wasn't the greatest but no excuses just had a mare on the greens 10 3 putts! Shocking! I have put so much practice in my swing my putting has totally fallen apart :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was out with the two lads from here - dar and Roadrunner.

We had a class day - with some very good golf in the mix.

Corballis - the famous 17th did me in wth a double (club short). Ended up 4 over - was a chance of best one ever there.

38 pts - a chance I could be off 5 after today - this day last week I was off 7. I could be at my target for year. Now at lowest ever handicap again.

What a mad week - funny thing , still feel I can score a little better. Had 8 Birdie putts - made 3. Very nice game to play like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played elmgreen off 24 today and had 18 front nine and 18 back nine. Scratched 17 & 18. 17 was poor puttng and 18 I hit two drives, that ended up in the driving range.

Tee to green was best I've probably played.

My puttng is my real weak spot..I Am going to try find out what my handicap really is, as usually I play off 18. Hopefully wont take me long to get it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Played an impromptu round today, got a call at 3 for a round at half 4.

Played a local council course here in Edinburgh, but it's a nice one. Quite cleverly designed, around gorse bush on a hill, almost link-esque. Shot an 89, first sub 90 round in about three years. It could have been alot lower, the greens were very very hairy which killed our putts.

Slice came back into my drive big time for some reason, but i worked around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

34 points in the monthly boards outing today.

Overall happy enough with game, good drives and iron play for the most part and even my wedges behaved a lot better than usually. Only left maybe 3 chips outside 6ft all day which is new for me.

One problem I found today that with both the wind and my new more consistent albeit shorter swing I could judge distance to green at all, left everything short! Didn't mind that too much cause I was getting good connection and ball flight, distance control will come with practise.

What disappointed me the most was my putter. First few holes I couldn't get feel for pace at all, leaving lag putts >10ft short and the drilling ones inside that way past!! Just very hesitant all day of I was going for birdie/pars I left them short just from being terrified of missing them!! Any how just need to go out in our open tomorrow and have a couple drop to get confidence back and hopefully everything will click and start see handicap drop!!

Didn't count up my putts but wasn't far off 40!!

pars: 7
    bogies: 8
    doubles: 2
    worse: 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

26 points today around headfort old

Putted like a blind man, I 4 putted 5 holes :mad:

Driving was a massive positive today though so will take the positives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

86 shots around the curragh in the soceity yesterday. Course played relatively easy but was still happy with 38 points. First time playing off 15 also so was happy to play to it.

Off the tee was the only disappointment, didn't hit a fairway until the 9th. Spent more time with the sheep than some of the lads I was playing with. Wedge play was possibly the best it's been though, really saved me at times.

Didn't make a putt outside 6 feet all day, but my long range putting was much better than normal and I managed to avoid a few 3 putts although I did have one 4 putt :( one double bogey and one scratch, that's what I need to get off the card in future. Overall happy enough, just need to start playing more.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

83 (17 over) in corballis yesterday, 1st card for a new handicap. Started with a triple bogey which wasn't ideal. A few stupid (aren't they always?) doubles too. 4 pars and a tap-in birdie on 7 were the better side. Joining corballis for the value but I do find it a tough course to score on so hopefully can keep it on the short grass in the next two rounds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Royal Curragh yesterday.
    6 pars
    5 bogies - all avoidable
    4 doubles -all avoidable
    3 holy Crap batman!!!

It's actually a course I wish was closer to as I think I'd love it as a home course.

Really need to cut out the erratic shots, I'd settle for no pars to eliminate the doubles for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Got out to donabate and was first out on the course. Such a joy not to be stuck behind other groups or being slowed down. off 23 and had 26 points. Greens were hard to judge and im already a poor putter so lost most of my shots there. Have sorted my driving for the most part and my iron play is very good. One thing I have managed to do is make my bad shots better.

The weather is just an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Played a very casual round in Glasson with some lads from work on Friday. I wasn't keeping track of my score and thought it was disastrous until it was counted up at the end as only being 2 shots off my handicap. Hopefully that means the handicap should tumble when I next get out in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

36 points of 12 this morning,
    1 birdie
    8 pars
    6 bogey
    1 double
    2 blanks

Putting getting better, rest of the game in good shape but silly shots cost me on simple holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

26 points this morning in the Island, playing off 14. It was my second round of golf this calendar year so I was really expecting nothing, but overall I was sort of pleased and feel there's a bit to work with in my game.

Had 5 scratches I think, then about 10 bogies, one double and one birdie. My shortgame is (unsurprisingly) absolutely rubbish and I must have nearly been in double figures for three putts. I scratched the 12th after probably my two best shots of the day, it was into a fierce wind and a drive and 3 iron was just short, so it rolled back down the hill. I got a scratch from that point. So cut out nonsense like that and I should be able to hit my handicap.

In trying to get back into golf again I've spent too much time on the range and not enough on the chipping/putting green, so that's going to be on the agenda now.

The course is in magnificent shape anyway. Really enjoyed it and will be playing weekly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Had a very patchy round in a society outing at Glasson on Saturday with 29pts but did much better today in Moate shooting a nett 71 off 15 for our Presidents prize qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Back to reality today in Killeen with 28 points after two sub 80's. The front 9 wasn't brutal, 16 points, but too man one pointers on the back and a scratch. Had a bit of an issue with my shoulder but not really an excuse. Need to work on my driver again, no trouble but it's pretty short, no confidence in it again. Think it's the only difference between me and single figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

41 pts
    Real Club de Golf Campoamor

18 out ,lost ball on both par 5's leading to 1pt scored on those
    23 back, birdied last hole for 1 over par back nine
    Played par threes in par which is handy as a few are over 200yds

Advertisement