Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

Won the monthly medal in Wicklow with Gross 80, net 67. Opened with a 9 on the first, a par 5.. I Lost my second shot a 7 iron right into the rough. Recovered really well after that. Had 3 birdies, on 5th, 14th and 16th, which Prob won it for me to be fair. Chipping and putting went really well for me, especially the putting.
    Think I'll keep working at the short game.
    Handicap cut from 13 to 11.4. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Again had a horrendous front 9 but much better back 9. On a plus side though I managed all 18 holes with the one ball and no fishing. That is definitely a first for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

27 points out in Corballis this morning. Took 10 for the front 9, I really struggle with the opening holes. Can anyone tell me how to make a par at the third in Corballis!? I don't know if I've ever managed better than double bogey, I really feel that one should be a par 5 but maybe it's just in my head at this stage :(

See Answer in The Links Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Monthly medal on Sunday had a nett 79 off 15 in very windy conditions in moyvalley. Standard scratch was 75 and the comp ended up being downward revision only - had one clause 19 adjustment so I think I would have snuck into the buffer even if it was a regular comp. Was 7 over for the front 9 and bang on handicap. Happy enough with how things were going at that stage but had a run of 4 holes on the back 9 where I three putted (and they weren't all from distance!) - which also included my one nightmare hole of the day - a 9 on the par 5 13th. Putting practice required....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

22 points in the wind in Portmarnock the other day. First time there, first proper round this year at all, and came home with the same ball! Two pars only, but the greens are almost impossible to stop any ball on. I lost count of the times I actually hit a green in regulation, only for the ball to slide off into a dip or, worse, a bunker (They were in great nick mind you!).

Still, the 22pts wasn't not too bad I thought, even though I really left an awful lot of putts out there. The course is absolutely fabulous, although I wouldn't be able for the sound of the planes going over your head the whole time (I didn't realise just how busy Dublin airport is in the middle of the afternoon!). I'll definitely be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

80 strokes today off 13 around Lackabawn Killarney today in mixed conditions. Out in 41, home in 39. 8 up and downs for pars, 28 putts but it's easy to putt on such nice greens. Thought I was going to break 80 for the first time but needed to par the last two which was a bit too much to ask for. It was the first day I felt confident with my new wedges which was great. Nice to be hitting some form in time for the Purcell at the wkend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

31 points today. Long game was sharp, I hit 13 GIR, unfortunately I had 39 putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Between getting a lesson and finding a good chiropractor who has fixed my back, I have finally found a swing.
    38 points off 24 At the G Lakes, Canberra last Saturday.
    Played mid week alone and scored 41 off 23, including a 9 on the par 5 5th for 90 strokes. (a PB)
    When golf is going like this you want to play every second of every day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

18 points off 24 on front nine at Castleknock. Scratched the 9th after a poor second shot over a bunker that landed short and into the bunker against a lip. best 9 holes I've played so far and putting was much improved today.

Nice round today.
    (5 over)

No birdies . But finished 10 pars.

Happy . But finding it a big barrier to get over that mid 70 mark.

But know if I stick at it. It should turn.

Big improvement in putting and shorter game.

Signs of something on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

30pts off 13 today 2 blanks & 6 bloody 1 pointers in surperb weather so cant blame the weather il have to blame herself for keeping me up late, just no energy at 8.30am teetime.. Out again sunday hopefully put it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Senecio wrote: »
    Finally managed to put a round together.

74 gross, 68 net (par 71). Out in 38 and home in even par 36. 2 birdies, 11 pars and 5 bogies. I had 2 three putts in there too!
    Senecio wrote: »
    Well, after struggling for form for the last 12 months I've only gone and backed up last week's round with a 76 for 37pts today. Out in 38, home in 38.

The handicap secretary is going to go to town on me. My 37 pts last week in the wind was good enough to win the competition. Got cut 0.6 down to 5.8. So what did I do this week?

Even par 71 gross for 42 pts. 1 double, 2 bogies, 11 pars and 4 birdies. My first even par round in qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Nice round today.
    (5 over)

No birdies . But finished 10 pars.

Happy . But finding it a big barrier to get over that mid 70 mark.

But know if I stick at it. It should turn.

Big improvement in putting and shorter game.

Signs of something on the way.

How did you have +5 with no birdies and just 10 pars?

I'm sort of the same as you though, seems that it doesn't matter if I shoot level par on the front 9 or 3 or 4 over on it, I always seem to end up shooting somewhere in the mid 70's. Bit of a mental block I think, have gone level par twice ever but never under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

How did you have +5 with no birdies and just 10 pars?

I'm sort of the same as you though, seems that it doesn't matter if I shoot level par on the front 9 or 3 or 4 over on it, I always seem to end up shooting somewhere in the mid 70's. Bit of a mental block I think, have gone level par twice ever but never under that.

I'd imagine he meant he finished with 10 pars in a row at the end as opposed to total

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I'd imagine he meant he finished with 10 pars in a row at the end as opposed to total

Yes that was it - and then started 4 pars in a row today - said to the lads , 14 pars in a row - must be a record for me , and we all know what happens when you say that, bogey next hole. :P :D

Golf is just boring like that - birdies are more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

26 points in a beautiful day in Corballis, disaster. First few holes done me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Last of my 3 cards for hcap today and the less said about it the better, I think the hcapper will just tear it up and base It in my previous 2 rounds.

107 strokes but one of them was an 8 on a par 3 :-(

Putting and bunker play atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

35 points off 13 this morning, whole game starting to feel a bit better, no terrible shots today and no blanks which is a bonus.
    Looking forward to two Matchplay games over the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Monthly medal and if there was a prize for worst performance I still wouldn't deserve it.
    Simply put didn't brake 100 off 16.
    Lessons with new club pro on the way this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Finally, finally got to play a qualifying round of golf today- thought that it would never come! Wouldn't mind if I wasn't playing but if anything I'm playing more this year than ever!

Anyway, a good day that should have been a great one. It was the May monthly medal as well. After a steady start, round exploded into life with par, birdie, birdie on 6,7 and 8. Finished the front nine in 38, first time to break 40 in ages. Then had a nightmare on the par 5 index 18, 10th hole. Ended up with an 8! After that disastrous start to the back nine it took me a while to get going again, but I kept plugging away. The putts just wouldn't drop and went on a run of bogies. But I got another lovely birdie on 17 to finish strong. Just missed the par on 18.

Finished with an 83, net 70. With the clause 19 adjustment I reckon I should get a 0.5 cut and hopefully I'll be back to 12 and a category 2 golfer again! Not official yet though.

Delighted to get a cut at first attempt this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Playing some scutter recently, turned around a bit with +1 net (off 14) in Moate Intermediate SC.
    A treble and double from two brutal lies greenside (long on 7, right on 12) killed me, two visits to water (3 & 15) was down to me, 67% fairways, 33% GIR, 30putts (no 3 putts), 10 pars. Happy round.

Course looking nice, fairways bit hairy, greens wee bit bumpy but nice speed...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Nett 76 Intermediate Scratch Cup Sunday in Moate, enjoyed the round although an 8 on the 7th tried to dampen my spirits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Had my 5th +18 in a row in home comp yesterday off (12) :( playing very consistent just not consistently good enough :)
    Feel like I'm playing well, and putter and short game getting better by the day. My problem is I'm just pushing my irons slightly to the right which is leaving me out of position.
    Once I start hitting more GIR and not having to make up and downs I can see handicap dropping!! Here's hoping anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

36 pts in Sunday morning comp.
    2 doubles ended the dream!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

As i mentioned before, I had a round of 2 halves on Saturday with the Society in Dundrum. Could have been so much different if my approach shots and putter were a bit sharper. I hit a lot of decent drives and where the drives were off a bit my second shots recovered well. Unfortunately I hit some fantastic drives leaving me a gap wedge to the green and i pulled nearly every single one to the left.:mad::mad: Luckily I scored well on the holes I had extra shots on and made the front 9 a bit respectable. Standing on the 10th I said to myself, get a grip and play like you can.......and I did........mostly!!! Again my putter was cold and I left 5 par putts on the lip :mad::mad: Still I'll take bogey all day long, especially on the tough 17th and 18th holes. Should have been a better scoring back 9 but I'll most definitely take what I got and run to the Curragh!!

I'll get it all to click yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Had 30 pts off 15 in my Society sat in Castlecomer. Delighted as my GUI is 22, so nearly played to a 15 hc, my chips let me down as I fluffed everyone! shocking stuff. So went out yesterday for the monthly medal practiced a bit on putting green to sort my chipping out, got it going right sorted. Only to realize on the first tee box I have left my putter in Castlecomer or at home :mad: Fcuked my head right up! so burrowed a putter of the club (a sledgehammer of a thing) took an 8 on the first! and my head really wreaked! got myself together on back 9 and came home in 42 finished with a 93 so -1 nett so might get a small cut and my official first cut! Here's hoping anyway...(turned out I left my putter on the putting green :o) mental note: drink coffee before early rounds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

A long and tough weekend of golf. Played the 36 hole JSC in Beaverstown on Sat in ideal conditions and then the 18 hole JSC in Hollystown Sun morning in chilly and breezy conditions before playing the secretary’s prize in my home club Sun afternoon. Never played 72 holes of a weekend before so was nicely fatigued last night.

The golf for the most part however wasn’t good and quite worryingly I still haven’t managed to shift the dreaded shanks. First hole of round 1 in Beaverstown on Sat I hit a 2 iron down the middle to leave 100 yards before shanking my second in behind a bush. A troublesome start to the day resulting in tentative iron shots thereafter. The poor iron shots usually left me short siding myself of the penalising greens which in turn highlighted the inadequacies of short game and passive putting to result in a first round of 85 of which included two shanks and a total of 36 putts. Round 2 was going to be a new and improved start and for the most part I kept the disasters off the card with some better putting until the par 3 7th when I shanked my tee shot into trees. Finished round 2 with a 78 which gave some encouragement for Sun.

Sun morning in Hollystown lead to a whole new set of problems. Despite having driven the ball well the past couple of weeks I started pushing by drives right into trouble which really backfired on the 7th with a lost ball and 3 from the tee. From there I then proceeded to hit another shank for good measure and to really scupper the score and any chance of recovery. Whether it was fatigue, metal error or a combination of both I then proceeded to dunk two in the water on the par 3 8th to completely knock myself out of contention. The rest of the round was an attempt to try and find something for the afternoon game but I was seriously struggling to get any sort of distance with my iron shots and with some sloppy chipping and putting finished the round on 87 strokes.

Sun afternoon, stroke play off the back sticks led to an encouraging start with a birdie on the first and things were nicely progressing with some good iron play to remain one under gross after 6. Hit a poor tee shot on the 7th which drifted in the wind to unluckily finish practically buried in the root of a tree, with no shot had to take a penalty and try and limit the damage. Unfortunately that didn’t work to plan due to a poor approach shot and 3 putts to finish with a triple bogey 7. Had a good par from the fairway bunker on 8 and turned the front 9 in +2 despite the triple earlier so there was still plenty to play for. Back nine was a combination of unlucky lies, poor putting and yet another shank resulting in a further triple to really kill the game and finish it out in 84 strokes (+11). A frustrating round of golf as there was potential with 3 good birdies recorded and a couple of more lipped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

20pts yesterday got to bed at 6am tee off 11.30am = bad golf

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

27 points and some sunburn off 19 in Fota yesterday in a society event. Only the 2nd round in nearly a year so shouldn't really complain. Scratched 4 as my driving completely deserted me. Thought I might run out of balls at one stage. Good day out overall :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Played 3 Purcell matches for Castleisland in Newcastle west over the wkend. Played solid enough on Saturday and we won on the 16th. Played ok Sunday morning, wasn't striking it well. We were 2 down after 2 but stayed patient and kept fighting and got over the line on the 17th and our team got to the final. 3 down after 5, 2 down after 9, 4 down after 11. We then attacked a bit and won 12 & 13, but then lost 14 and they chipped in for bird on 15 to take the match. I didn't strike it well again and we couldn't get close to them at all but we were beaten by 2 far better golfers, and if we played them again today they'd beat us again but prob not on 15.

Overall our team lost, we gave it a run but our opposition were on another level.

Advertisement