Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Because I love snow and I really want to go out and skid about in it, its great fun! Maybe not angry, but jealous!

Still shaking my head. you are living in the wrong place for snow. Maybe change country...else get used to it! snow is a good servant but a poor master. Not worth getting upset at its absence...ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Snow warning for Ulster/Connaught http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Graces7 wrote: »
    Still shaking my head. you are living in the wrong place for snow. Maybe change country...else get used to it! snow is a good servant but a poor master. Not worth getting upset at its absence...ah well!

Jaysus, will you let the man rant Graces7! :)

Classic case of snow envy, it will pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Sleety rain in drogheda just now :( thought it would be snow but there is still a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Snow warning for Ulster/Connaught http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

Apart from the northwest i doubt ulster will see to much.
    Shower of snow/hail/sleet here about 4 o'clock.
    It's freezing hard now so the roads will some state later, don't fancy me chances of getting a taxi home tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Sleety rain in drogheda just now :( thought it would be snow but there is still a chance
    Snap - it's just arrived to East Meath. Fingers crossed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the bigger inconvenience now is ice and frost especially where any precip has fallen today. Take care on the roads or walking tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

These shallow lows as I've been told they're called are interesting on the ECM, have been appearing for the last 3 runs.

With -4/-5 uppers though they are less interesting than I want them to be.

ECU1-72.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing here in Donegal again, not lying where I am but further inland I'm sure is accumlating nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

The weather forecast after the 6 news was very promising for snow tonight in the north and west. Even had exclamation marks beside the snow showers! Many in agreement with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Pipmae wrote: »
    Snap - it's just arrived to East Meath. Fingers crossed.:D

Lads surely ye cant get excited about that muck earlier. It was Horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Has anyone spotted the largish band of cloud with associated precipitation currently moving due south from the north. The main area of precip appears to be over and to the west of Scotland.
    If it does make landfall on this island, I'm sure it will either A: Die out once it hits the border or B: begin to move south east to join the rest of the airflow direction at the moment, move into the Irish Sea, intensify again and plaster Wales and NW England!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

So Dublin will get snow after all. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Lads surely ye cant get excited about that muck earlier. It was Horrible
    Clutching at straws I fear. It sounded quite impressive on my velux windows. Alas it wasn't to be.

My kids are dying for some snow - my three year old has yet to experience it. I was pregnant with her for the 2010/2011 spectacular snow fest and I'm waiting for a decent snow for her the last two years.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thinking i might be too close to the coast to see a repeat of Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Mainly sleety showers here in Sligo at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Pipmae wrote: »
    Clutching at straws I fear. It sounded quite impressive on my velux windows. Alas it wasn't to be.

My kids are dying for some snow - my three year old has yet to experience it. I was pregnant with her for the 2010/2011 spectacular snow fest and I'm waiting for a decent snow for her the last two years.:(

Yeah my young fella was 4 for that, he loved it, every winter since, but with less expectations, he wants the same to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

http://omg.wthax.org/5bzdcK.jpg

So......found instructions and hope the poor dog comes out.....she had a fun in the snow this morning, but she forgot to throw the snowballs at me !!!!!
    Had to soak each leg in a bucket of warm water.."sigh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Freezing hard in Galway west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Partly cloudy here in Waterford City with a temp of 3.4c DP 1.9c.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Snowing now and lying :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Pangea wrote: »
    :)
    Whereabouts in Donegal?

:)
    Whereabouts in Donegal?

South West

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Looking ahead to Monday night into Tuesday N/NE and E areas greatest risk of disruptive snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Looking ahead to Monday night into Tuesday N/NE and E areas greatest risk of disruptive snow.

It'll be a fairly marginal event surely? Maybe on higher ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2117 update from met eireann
    Ongoing wintry showers in the north and west tonight giving accumulations of snow inland, especially on higher ground. Elsewhere, mainly dry with clear spells apart from a few wintry flurries in the midlands. There'll be frost and icy stretches on untreated surfaces with lowest temperatures between zero and minus 4 degrees. Winds light to moderate, mainly westerly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

It'll be a fairly marginal event surely? Maybe on higher ground...

The latest min temp from GFS at 60hrs are good, Dew points better again.

ukmintemp.png

15012006_1712.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Pangea wrote: »

any pics to get us going :) :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    The latest min temp from GFS at 60hrs are good, Dew points better again.

I note the sea temperature off the Irish Sea coast is a nicely chilly 4C...now all we need is that Beasterly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

18z GFS prolonging the cold snap until at least next Friday with rain, sleet and snow at times, cold and frosty nights and the continuing threat of an easterly incursion. Plenty of evolution in the forecast to come yet. Temperatures generally remaining in low single figures by day.

Monday night will be a mix of rain, sleet and snow. Another possibility emerging that should be watched is Tuesday night when there is another snow risk for a time across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I note the sea temperature off the Irish Sea coast is a nicely chilly 4C...now all we need is that Beasterly! :D

Not necessarily a good thing though. The bigger the difference between SSTs and 850 temps, the better the convection for lake effect snow (Irish Sea streamers). But then again lower SSTs help keep surface air temps down, so it can be a trade-off in terms of temp vs. precip. 2010 hit the sweet spot, with very cold air over a relatively warm sea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement