Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Staying in one of these log cabins next weekend in Perthshire, I am hoping the cold weather does not break and revert to the dreary mild Atlantic rain fronts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I note the sea temperature off the Irish Sea coast is a nicely chilly 4C...now all we need is that Beasterly! :D

The M2 is showing 9.8 and Dublin Bay is showing as 8.2...

Edit...I might be mixing up predicted with current? I mentioned current temps there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

-14 in Scotland!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just drove back into Galway from Headford direction. Main roads gritted but side roads were lethal, rain and sleet earlier so the roads were wet before they froze. Take care out there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I've got snow all around me! I'm just below the snow line for the heavier stuff, but I've been out everywhere in the snow the past 24 hours lol

Slieve Snaght, Inishowen, Co. Donegal
    16116141669_7da71146d4_b.jpg

Up the back roads outside Eglinton, Co Derry
    16118416787_4e20a34428_b.jpg

Binevenagh Mountain, Co. Derry
    15677090183_e4f0ec6ec3_b.jpg

Downhill Demense, Co. Derry
    16274587592_1057b1006c_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I've got snow all around me! I'm just below the snow line for the heavier stuff, but I've been out everywhere in the snow the past 24 hours lol

Fantastic shots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

Nothing to report in Wicklow, except clear skies and serious frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The M2 is showing 9.8 and Dublin Bay is showing as 8.2...

Edit...I might be mixing up predicted with current? I mentioned current temps there.

I think 4c is 2mtr high temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

any pics to get us going :) :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Shower only turned out to be short, but theres wee white covering here now and everything is frozen solid.
    Hardly worth while posting pic but here goes :)

http://i.imgur.com/OUzUlO8.jpg The car

http://i.imgur.com/dO3ppdE.jpg The ground

Nothing to report in Wicklow, except clear skies and serious frost.

How are the peaks looking? Kippure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Reports on my Facebook of yet more snowfall in Letterkenny tonight, 6th consecutive day with snow there now. As we all know NW'erlies are a waste of time and we need an easterly for proper snow (where the Dublin/Wicklow mountains can get several metres of snow) but it's turning into a really decent event for much of Ulster & north Connaught

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Slieve Snaght, Inishowen, Co. Donegal

snow on Slieve Snaght, who would have thought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Harps wrote: »
    Reports on my Facebook of yet more snowfall in Letterkenny tonight, 6th consecutive day with snow there now. As we all know NW'erlies are a waste of time and we need an easterly for proper snow (where the Dublin/Wicklow mountains can get several metres of snow) but it's turning into a really decent event for much of Ulster & north Connaught

Hmm three rock south dublin / Wicklow has been completely covered for the last hour. Not sure if it's fog or precip. Will wait to see in the morning. Was plenty of snow up there today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Snow for ten minutes then rained for 5 mins on top of it. Dew and air temperature both -2 so freezing rain. Went to go outside and there is a thin layer of ice everywhere. Really dangerous conditions. Will catch a lot of people out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Im thinking of going surfing in the morning, will the wind swing more easterly in the morning ?
    Rain, hail, snow or ice wont bother me.
    I'm thinking of hitting a reef in North Clare...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Temp and Dp both around -1.5 here in Donegal Town. Will interesting to see what this front brings that's in North Donegal at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Though those of us in the East may not be getting much this is a fairly long lasting cold spell for the North and North West. If Kermit is right more next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Harps wrote: »

Yes I used to rubbish NW'erlies as pointless and short lived even for the North. Not so this last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Rain, Freezing Rain, Sleet & Snow all showing on the radar at the minute!

gGgFofO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't be surprised to wake up to a dusting in parts of the east from the development to the north associated with a trough line.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't be surprised to wake up to a dusting in parts of the east from the development to the north associated with a trough line.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Interesting, was wondering why my weather station temperature shot up! Surfaces still frozen and DP sub zero, could be interesting in a couple of hours here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

If the precip reaches should be cold enough for snow. At the least freezing rain.

Approaching me now. Will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

It's snowing in Clondalkin/Tallaght area
    Sky looks interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

Very light snow in Dublin 8

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temp has shot up here (in Dublin 16) as that shower approaches. Was -1.8c earlier...now 0.7c DP -0.8c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Now coming down heavy road getting whiter...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very light snow falling here. 1.0c DP -0.5c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Raining here in Galway at the moment. No idea of the temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Good hard frost this morning, it was -1 when I was heading in to work.
    Started raining while I was clearing the car, untreated roads are lethal at the moment!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement