Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

timetogo wrote: »
    I was just wondering if the max I can get using a speedtest is 89Mb/s over Wifi one one device does that 89Mb get split up when more Wifi devices go on the network or could it be 89Mb per device. I don't care either way, it's just a point I hadn't thought of before.

It depends on the wifi router you are using and the client devices communicating with it. 802.11n and ac support multiple simultaneous streams to multiple devices, so it would be per device in that case, but I don't know (I doubt it) if the UPC routers support that. They tend to be basic models.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But yet in this thread, and others, people complain about not getting the speed that's actually delivered to their house?

No, with UPC most people actually get the full 240mb/s, at least when tested from speedtest.upc.ie and using an ethernet cable.

Cable isn't like xDSL where the speed you get depends on the distance from the exchange/cabinet, it uses much better quality cables then copper phone and thus is capable of much higher sustained speeds.

If they aren't getting this, then something is wrong and they need to contact UPC to get it fixed.

One of the reasons that often comes up is that the person has an older DOCSIS 2.0 modem that only supports up to 30mb/s and they need to get a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem. It is like the difference between ADSL2+ and VDSL, you need a new modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

But yet in this thread, and others, people complain about not getting the speed that's actually delivered to their house?

Yep. At least someone agrees with me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bk wrote: »
    No, with UPC most people actually get the full 240mb/s, at least when tested from speedtest.upc.ie and using an ethernet cable.

I know, my point is that I've seen people complain that UPC shouldn't be advertising 240 as they can't get that on their WiFi devices.

Yep. At least someone agrees with me. :pac:

Ha ha, I'm actually not. I'm saying people are getting 240 into the house, and their complaints about false advertising because they can't get that on WiFi aren't valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

So I'm pretty sure I have the latest router from UPC for my broadband. And my phone has 5ghz capabilities. But when I set my phone WiFi to scan only for 5ghz my broadband doesn't show up? How do I get my 5ghz?

Luke92 wrote: »
    So I'm pretty sure I have the latest router from UPC for my broadband. And my phone has 5ghz capabilities. But when I set my phone WiFi to scan only for 5ghz my broadband doesn't show up? How do I get my 5ghz?

You have two different SSIDs, log on to you router or look at the bottom for the 5ghz one.

Ha ha, I'm actually not. I'm saying people are getting 240 into the house, and their complaints about false advertising because they can't get that on WiFi aren't valid.
    I was using a smidge of sarcasm :D

Oh I completely understand, not complaining that it's not 240mb, just that it could be a LOT better than it actually is. Especially if they just bloody enabled 5GHZ on their own routers!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

You have two different SSIDs, log on to you router or look at the bottom for the 5ghz one.

Yeah they are both the exact same. Same network id and same ssid.

But when I change my phones setting to 5ghz only, there is no connection showing up for my broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Most people use Wifi, whether it be through their phone or laptop. Heck, my PS4 is miles away from the router. I'm not exactly going to go running CAT5e cables to benefit from UPC's advertised speeds. And what about those with the built in Horizon/Wifi STBs. Are they expected to either buy ANOTHER router or run CAT5e all over their house? :confused:

I'd love to see as asterisk on their website saying

240mb* including all calls

*Just don't use Wifi
    Even if upc supplied a router capable of 240 over wifi, you'd have to be in the same room as the router to get that.. And if you're that close, you may as well plug in your laptop..

Unless you want 240 wifi for your phone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Your WiFi will only be as fast as the slowest wireless device connected to the router. If you have something connected to it over 802.11g than that is the max any device will receive wirelessly.

There is no argument that UPC should be supplying better wifi routers, they absolutely should.

They should be supplying at least dual band, dual radio 8201.11n wifi routers and preferably 802.11ac models. They should also make it easy to enable bridging on their modems.

But even if they do, they still can't guarantee 240mb/s over wifi, there are just too many variables. How far are you from the router, how many floors/walls are between you and the router, what materials on in the walls/floor (aluminium insulation causes havoc with all radio signals), how many of your neighbours are also using wifi, intereference coming from microwaves/dect phones/bluetooth/baby monitors/etc.

Oh and even if you supply an 802.11ac router, no guarantee that the customers devices can support it, or 802.11n or 5Ghz, etc.

Oh and then there is the fact that a lot of non techy consumers don't like having multiple boxes so actually like having everything integrated in one box like horizon! And the fact that many don't like the look of multiple large aerials that you get in high end wifi routers. Aerials which are absolutely necessary to bring better performance.

And finally if you do support two bands, you will have increased support costs as you try to explain the difference to non geeks and how to connect to the different frequencies depending on their needs.

It really a very difficult situation for ISPs

bromley52 wrote: »
    Your WiFi will only be as fast as the slowest wireless device connected to the router. If you have something connected to it over 802.11g than that is the max any device will receive wirelessly.

True, though there is a trick if you have a dual band, dual radio quality wifi router.

- On the 5GHz frequency, allow it to only support 802.11n devices
    - On the 2.4GHz frequency, allow it to support all protocols.

Then I make sure all my 802.11n devices that support 5GHz use that only. I only use 2.4GHz for older, non bandwidth intensive uses.

But again this all shows the complexity of wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I sense a lot of anger :o

I merely stated a fact. Most people use Wifi, whether it be through their phone or laptop. Heck, my PS4 is miles away from the router. I'm not exactly going to go running CAT5e cables to benefit from UPC's advertised speeds. And what about those with the built in Horizon/Wifi STBs. Are they expected to either buy ANOTHER router or run CAT5e all over their house? :confused:

I'd love to see as asterisk on their website saying

240mb* including all calls

*Just don't use Wifi

Nope, wouldn't bother with Cat5e myself.. i'd go Cat6:D.. plan for the future 10Gb rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

People complaining about having to use wifi and not getting advertised speed around the house need to invest in these puppies
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420989650&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter

you can hook up your TV/games console and laptops to them, you're phone and tablet will have to stick to wifi but you could kit every room with these things and you will get close to 240mb wired lag free uninterrupted BB providing you're house has decent electrical cables and it's not 500 years old :pac:

bk wrote: »
    True, though there is a trick if you have a dual band, dual radio quality wifi router.

- On the 5GHz frequency, allow it to only support 802.11n devices
    - On the 2.4GHz frequency, allow it to support all protocols.

Then I make sure all my 802.11n devices that support 5GHz use that only. I only use 2.4GHz for older, non bandwidth intensive uses.

But again this all shows the complexity of wifi.

This I didn't realise. I must try it.

I have a UPC Thomson router to which I have connected a dual band router running dd-wrt. I am using the DMZ on the Thomson router (as discussed over the last few pages) as I was unable to set the Thomson to bridge mode. This is far from ideal.

I came across another site on boards which will hopefully allow me to enable bridge mode on the Thomson but keep the phone working.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

What's all the chat about routers doing in bargain alerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frankiebouy

Double C wrote: »
    I called and upgraded yesterday as well and was advised that it would take effect by midnight last night but it's still on the old speeds. Did anyone else notice this or did they get updated straight away? Also when I was on the phone yesterday the lady didn't ask to confirm any data protection details, I just have my name and that was it. They normally ask to at least confirm the address as well. I found this a little strange!

i think you must unplug your modem for twenty seconds or so and plug it in a gain for the changes to take effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Any suggestions on a router that can perform and is also value for money?

You're talking over the 100 euro mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I got one a netgear a few months ago. Was £20 at the time. Not the latest but good for the money kicks the ass of my old 54G linksys

[url]Http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004I9GSCI[/url]

The TP-Link Archer C7 is probably the best value for money:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-AC1750-Wireless-Gigabit-1300Mbps/dp/B00CEB53MS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420999204&sr=8-1&keywords=archer+c7

It is rated as one of the best 802.11n router on the market, but as an added bonus it is also a futureproof 802.11ac router, while actually being cheaper then the top end 802.11n only routers from the top brands! So while not the cheapest, by far the best value for money IMO.

BTW this is the router I have after a great deal of research and I'm very happy with it. 200mb/s off UPC over 802.11n while in the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

I got this one harvey norman 80€,
    http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=Archer+C2 Wifi now work super fast

@BK, is that the one you have just connected, not bridged?

Dawidnowak2005, how about you?

@BK, is that the one you have just connected, not bridged?

Dawidnowak2005, how about you?

Yup, just connected, not bridged.

Of course your performance may differ depending on your environment. However if you go look at the charts on smallnetbuilder, it still has some of the best performance out there while being half the price of other "premium" routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Yep i connected this without bridge and was same good like now, now im bridge it just to make sure i have No double Nat:-)

Cheers guys. The deficiencies of the technicolor never really bothered me as I was on a 100Mb package and was getting a reasonable performance all things considered. Now with the speed increase it might be the time to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

With the UPC telephone setup, can you still use your old POTS/DECT handsets?
    Does the Eircom telephones sockets around the house become defunct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Flyer28 wrote: »
    With the UPC telephone setup, can you still use your old POTS/DECT handsets?
    Does the Eircom telephones sockets around the house become defunct?
    AFAIK you should be able to connect the old wiring directly to the the POTS port on your router and use the old phone ports. It would be a good idea to disconnect the Eircom wires from that circuit though.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician/engineer.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote: »
    AFAIK you should be able to connect the old wiring directly to the the POTS port on your router and use the old phone ports. It would be a good idea to disconnect the Eircom wires from that circuit though.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician/engineer.

That's exactly what I'v done and yes disconnect the incoming Eircom wire. Works perfectly but Eircom might get cross with you for doing this.:mad:

Advertisement