Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Im just wondering why anyone would need 240mb going to a home . Its seems quite excessive for a normal families needs.

Cheaper than a slower package I was on, plus you also get free phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

fullirish wrote: »
    Hi

Just switched over to this 240mg package with upc - I have the Cisco EPC3925 and only getting 35-40 download and 24 upload - if the upload is one tenth normally up the download why amn't I getting 240 download ? Is it them or me ?

cheers
    fullirish

Cisco EPC3925 is worthless. Rather than try to fix it, just use it as a bridge. I did it at home and haven't had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

Set DMZ on your UPC Router to point to 192.168.1.2

Hi Keith, How do you activate DMZ on the technicolour TC7200?

After a google I found this URL and tried it and does not bring anything up

http://192.168.0.1/advanced/dmz.asp

Thank you!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Flyer28 wrote: »
    With UPC, does 240 MB mean 240 MB?

Yes, it does, give or take a few mb/s. In fact almost every speed test I've seen shows it slightly faster then 240mb/s

Cable is different to DSL (broadband over telephone line), DSL is limited by the distance from the exchange/cabinet, the further you are, the slower it is. Cable broadband like from UPC, isn't effected by this. The technology they use is far superior.

Note, you may only get the full speed using a direct ethernet connection. Wireless can be much more variable and slower. But that really isn't UPC's fault.
    fullirish wrote: »
    Just switched over to this 240mg package with upc - I have the Cisco EPC3925 and only getting 35-40 download and 24 upload - if the upload is one tenth normally up the download why amn't I getting 240 download ? Is it them or me ?

Are you testing it over wifi or using direct ethernet. wifi isn't dependable and the space cam be very varied. Always test it with ethernet cable direct to the modem. If you then still get this slow speed, then you have an issue, so call UPC and they will likely send an engineer out to fix it. There might be an issue with a faulty cable, etc.
    Im just wondering why anyone would need 240mb going to a home . Its seems quite excessive for a normal families needs.

It is, no one really needs it, but it is nice to have.

However the big selling point for me is the increased upload speed, 24mb/s is just awesome when uploading pictures and videos to facebook/youtube, etc. and for working from home.

Also the free national and mobile calls are handy too, if unnecessary.
    Nabber wrote: »
    Cisco EPC3925 is worthless. Rather than try to fix it, just use it as a bridge. I did it at home and haven't had any problems.

Certainly not worthless, it is better then any of the other routers UPC currently ship due to how easy it is to bridge it to your own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mj_Healy

I just moved onto the new 240MB package yesterday as we got the Horizon bundle, so the internet is coming through the set-top box.

I use a powerline adapter to get wired internet upstairs in the house, with CAT6s coming on both ends., because the wireless signal in the Horizon box and in the old Cisco box is rubbish. Just before I got rid of the 50MB package, I did a speed test and got results of about 45mbs. With the new package I did another speed test, but there was little to no difference. I clocked in at about 58mbs and 24-ish on uploads. Where's all the extra broadband gone? Is it the powerline adapter? I tried downloading something through Chrome yesterday and it averaged at about 4MB/s, a marginal increase over what I had before. What gives here? Any help, folks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Mj_Healy wrote: »
    Where's all the extra broadband gone? Is it the powerline adapter?

Probably. I use power line adapters too. They're very susceptible to interference. The boxes I have max out at about 40Mb/s. That's fine for me in my home but obviously I'm not getting the full speed.

The first test for you to do is to get a network cable, plug it into your UPC box and plug the other end into a laptop. Turn off the WiFi on your laptop and run the speed test. That'll show you the real speed of the connection coming into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mj_Healy

timetogo wrote: »
    Probably. I use power line adapters too. They're very susceptible to interference. The boxes I have max out at about 40Mb/s. That's fine for me in my home but obviously I'm not getting the full speed.

The first test for you to do is to get a network cable, plug it into your UPC box and plug the other end into a laptop. Turn off the WiFi on your laptop and run the speed test. That'll show you the real speed of the connection coming into your house.

I just tried this just after I posted. Very close to the same results. The speed test floated up to near 70Mb/s but nowhere near some of the other speeds I've seen in this thread. Seems like the upload is where it should be, but the download is a lot more important. Not sure what to do.

We upgraded to the Horizon bundle mostly due to now having a HD TV in the living room, with the internet being an added bonus but it seems we're not currently getting what we're paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Might be worth connecting directly to horizon box over Ethernet to check the speed there first. I had to switch the Cisco router off and on before the speed increase was noticeable so maybe try that as well... If you still get the slower download speed When directly connected by Ethernet to horizon box after a reboot, then I'd call UPC tech support.

EDIT - Another thing that's worth doing on the horizon box is to make sure 5GHz is switched on as if you have devices that support it as it is generally faster than 2.4GHz. Go to your router's config page - 192.168.192.1 I think? - select wireless and see if there is an option to enable 5GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Upgraded the account with loyalty department, took under 5 minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Cheapest dual band router that will do these speeds. Argos, Amazon or other.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Upgraded the account with loyalty department, took under 5 minutes. :pac:

how much? any extra charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I called and upgraded yesterday as well and was advised that it would take effect by midnight last night but it's still on the old speeds. Did anyone else notice this or did they get updated straight away? Also when I was on the phone yesterday the lady didn't ask to confirm any data protection details, I just have my name and that was it. They normally ask to at least confirm the address as well. I found this a little strange!

Double C wrote: »
    I called and upgraded yesterday as well and was advised that it would take effect by midnight last night but it's still on the old speeds. Did anyone else notice this or did they get updated straight away? Also when I was on the phone yesterday the lady didn't ask to confirm any data protection details, I just have my name and that was it. They normally ask to at least confirm the address as well. I found this a little strange!

Same with me. I rang on Thursday. Still on the old speeds. She said it'd happen by the next day too. I was going to give them a shout next week.

As for the data protection bit. That didn't happen with me, they confirmed the usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

What's the point in 240mb broadband if UPC won't enable 5ghz on their own routers? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

You usually need to reboot your modern before you will notice the speed increase. sometimes upc send a reboot command to your modern when they have upgraded, but not always.

I Was told yesterday my upgrade would be processed by one of the teams over the weekend. I'd say there's a bit of a backlog for them to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Flyer28 wrote: »
    With UPC, does 240 MB mean 240 MB?

I currently have an 'upto' 24 MB service with digiweb but it rarely goes above 12 (according to speedtest.net) and never above 14 - apparently due to the line from the exchange

If I go with UPC will it be the same story or can I expect the full advertised speed. I've asked UPC reps this question several times but never got a straight answer.

Nope, its 240Mb - Note the Megabit Vs Megabyte. Network speeds always in Mb and actual storage etc. in MB. You should expect to be getting roughly 30MB per second download speed off a good site.

In theory, their 50MB package is about as good as it gets since their own modem doesn't support the speeds they sell over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I ordered it last night but still have the old UPC scientific atlantic modem . And a belkin Surf N300

My speed has increased from 20Mb to 30Mb http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4049482130

I am not sure what this means but my router is capable of 300Mbps . Would that be capable of the new speeds UPC have advertised?

They said they would send a new modem. Will this have wireless router capabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well that was impressive. I called to upgrade my package on Friday and DPD arrived with a new set top box and router early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I ordered it last night but still have the old UPC scientific atlantic modem . And a belkin Surf N300

My speed has increased from 20Mb to 30Mb http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4049482130

I am not sure what this means but my router is capable of 300Mbps . Would that be capable of the new speeds UPC have advertised?

They said they would send a new modem. Will this have wireless router capabilities?

Yeah, I had the same last year and they replaced it with a Cisco modem router. It has 4 network ports and wireless connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I needed to reboot my modem to get the new speed, took a few minutes before it went online, but all good now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I needed to reboot my modem to get the new speed, took a few minutes before it went online, but all good now.

And when did you call to upgrade ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Your current modem is a DOCSIS 2.0 model and thus can only support a max of 30mb/s. You will need to receive the new modem which supports DOCSIS 3.0 and thus the 240mb/s speeds.

Yes, the new modem will also be a wifi router. However UPC's wifi performance is often not so great and if you have the money, then buying your own quality wifi router and connecting it to the UPC modem is often a better option to get more of the speed.

In theory, their 50MB package is about as good as it gets since their own modem doesn't support the speeds they sell over wifi.

That is true of almost all high speed ISPs. Do you thing you get 1Gb/s from google fiber in the US?!!! Not a hope in hell.

Wifi is simply for convenience, it should not be used if you want to get the full benefit of your service. There are way too may variables with wifi for ISPs to guarantee speed over wifi (different standards, old 802.b clients, 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz, interference, too many neighbouring wifi points, etc.).

UPC's service absolutely delivers 240mb/s

But yes, you have to make a little effort if you want ot get the most out of this speed.

Connect using ethernet where you can, over half the devices in my home or connected by ethernet (desktop pc, NAS, ps3/ps4/xbox 360, etc.) and all get 240mb/s

I even manage to get 200mb/s over wifi using my own very high quality wifi router.

I agree UPC should supply modem/routers with better wifi performance and I believe they are working on exactly that, watch this space.

However even with the best quality wifi router, you still can't guarantee perfect performance and only ethernet can do that.

Complaining about UPC's broadband like this, is like buying a Ferrari and then complaining you aren't getting the best speed because you put street tires on it rather then racing tires!

Going from being an internet blackhole just 3 years ago, we are now getting some of the fastest speeds in the whole of Europe for a very reasonable price and still people complain!!!

bk wrote: »
    That is true of almost all high speed ISPs. Do you thing you get 1Gb/s from google fiber in the US?!!! Not a hope in hell.

Wifi is simply for convenience, it should not be used if you want to get the full benefit of your service. There are way too may variables with wifi for ISPs to guarantee speed over wifi (different standards, old 802.b clients, 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz, interference, too many neighbouring wifi points, etc.).

UPC's service absolutely delivers 240mb/s

But yes, you have to make a little effort if you want ot get the most out of this speed.

Connect using ethernet where you can, over half the devices in my home or connected by ethernet (desktop pc, NAS, ps3/ps4/xbox 360, etc.) and all get 240mb/s

I even manage to get 200mb/s over wifi using my own very high quality wifi router.

I agree UPC should supply modem/routers with better wifi performance and I believe they are working on exactly that, watch this space.

However even with the best quality wifi router, you still can't guarantee perfect performance and only ethernet can do that.

Complaining about UPC's broadband like this, is like buying a Ferrari and then complaining you aren't getting the best speed because you put street tires on it rather then racing tires!

Going from being an internet blackhole just 3 years ago, we are now getting some of the fastest speeds in the whole of Europe for a very reasonable price and still people complain!!!
    I sense a lot of anger :o

I merely stated a fact. Most people use Wifi, whether it be through their phone or laptop. Heck, my PS4 is miles away from the router. I'm not exactly going to go running CAT5e cables to benefit from UPC's advertised speeds. And what about those with the built in Horizon/Wifi STBs. Are they expected to either buy ANOTHER router or run CAT5e all over their house? :confused:

I'd love to see as asterisk on their website saying

240mb* including all calls

*Just don't use Wifi

I merely stated a fact.

Can the modem only support 50Mb/s on Wifi in total or can it support 50Mb/s per device?

My personal setup is 3 devices (Xbox, TVBox, NAS) using Cat 5 near where the UPC box is, a couple using ethernet over power and several devices using Wifi. I'm happy enough with it.

timetogo wrote: »
    Can the modem only support 50Mb/s on Wifi in total or can it support 50Mb/s per device?

The 50mb/s was a totally made up figure.

The modem support 802.11n, 802.11n supports up to 600mb/s. However that is the theoritical max. In the real world, with interference from different devices, etc. real world speeds are much lower.

However I've been able to get 100mb/s out of my UPC's wifi router and 200 mb/s out of my own high quality router.

What you will get will depend completely on your setup and evironment (how big your home is, what materials it is made from, how much local interference there is from other devices, etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

. Heck, my PS4 is miles away from the router. I'm not exactly going to go running CAT5e cables to benefit from UPC's advertised speeds. And what about those with the built in Horizon/Wifi STBs. Are they expected to either buy ANOTHER router or run CAT5e all over their house? :confused:

I'd love to see as asterisk on their website saying

240mb* including all calls

*Just don't use Wifi

But yet in this thread, and others, people complain about not getting the speed that's actually delivered to their house?

bk wrote: »
    The 50mb/s was a totally made up figure.

The modem support 802.11n, 802.11n supports up to 600mb/s. However that is the theoritical max. In the real world, with interference from different devices, etc. real world speeds are much lower.

However I've been able to get 100mb/s out of my UPC's wifi router and 200 mb/s out of my own high quality router.

What you will get will depend completely on your setup and evironment (how big your home is, what materials it is made from, how much local interference there is from other devices, etc.).

Ah yeah I know the 50Mb/s isn't accurate. My max from the UPC Wifi box is 89Mb/s (when I'm in the same room). Realistically on the Wifi devices though anything more than 10Mb is more than I'd ever need :)

I was just wondering if the max I can get using a speedtest is 89Mb/s over Wifi one one device does that 89Mb get split up when more Wifi devices go on the network or could it be 89Mb per device. I don't care either way, it's just a point I hadn't thought of before.

• Advertisement

I sense a lot of anger :o

I merely stated a fact. Most people use Wifi, whether it be through their phone or laptop. Heck, my PS4 is miles away from the router. I'm not exactly going to go running CAT5e cables to benefit from UPC's advertised speeds. And what about those with the built in Horizon/Wifi STBs. Are they expected to either buy ANOTHER router or run CAT5e all over their house? :confused:

If you want to benefit from high speed broadband then yes, it would be a good idea to run cat5e around your home.

Many of us do (I've two cat5e ports in every room) and also buy high quality wifi routers for better performance.

Also your 50mb/s number is bull****, it is only the number you personally get, but might be completely different for another person. I can get 100mb/s from my UPC's routers wifi and I get 200mb/s from my own high quality router.

There is no scam here, there is only a €10 difference between UPCs slowest/cheapest broadband (60mb/s for €35 versus 240mb/s for €45) and you also get a lot of other benefits for your extra €10 (unlimited anytime national and mobile calls and 300 minutes of international calls!)

Also remember that it also comes with 24mb/s of upload speed. That can be very beneficial to people and you would still get this speed even if you were only getting 50mb/s on a crappy wifi connection.

Advertisement