Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'm on 30mb and some basic tv pack for 70€ :eek:
    it's modem EPC2425 so anyway of getting the 240mb without the 60€ charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So it's just a simple matter of setting to bridge mode, hooking up another router via Ethernet and using the new router as your main one for WiFi and Ethernet?
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

what if they call my bluff and cancel :(
    bit annoyed that they leave you paying through the nose for some crappy ancient package and i'm left to pick up the tab when i have to pay to update their hardware because i don't consider it mine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The shït router upc supply is good for 50mbps alright, I got one on adverts for €60 and wifi is good for 450mbps n, so just waiting on upc to catch up :)

As for bandwidth, depends on the number of seeders :D

What type network card have you ? That is where the limation is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭funnyname

Think of it this way, even if you have to pay the fee it pays for itself in less than 3 months, less if you use you landline for mobile calls.

I'd get my left testicle for that deal.

Will be interesting what Eircom et all offer in the near future.

This is a game changer from UPC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DvB wrote: »
    Any idea what the performance of the Thompson router/modem that UPC provide is like?

Well the results I posted earlier are from the Technicolor TC7200.

As a modem, it works very well, but wifi is poor on it. So instead I use the Archer C7 for wifi connected to the Technicolor TC7200. I don;t have it bridged yet, most do that, but so far it has been very stable and worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

Probably not the best place to ask but...

Would the UPC supplied Cisco 3925 handle the 200mb if I got upgraded?

Yes, it will. I upgraded to 240mb and the Cisco EPC3925 will handle the higher speeds.

bk wrote: »
    Well the results I posted earlier are from the Technicolor TC7200.

As a modem, it works very well, but wifi is poor on it. So instead I use the Archer C7 for wifi connected to the Technicolor TC7200. I don;t have it bridged yet, most do that, but so far it has been very stable and worked well.

How did you get the router to work with it if you havent changed to bridging mode? You have it in routing mode, with another router plugged into it?

And here is what I get wired:

334047.png

Happy days :D

COnnected direct to my Technicolour, I get 200Mb d/l and 20u/l, which I am happy with.
    When I use my router, with the modem in bridge mode, I only get 80d/l and 20u/l.
    Any ideas on what settings may need to be tweaked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

I thought if I set my Cisco 3925 to bridge mode, that the phone wouldn't work... Is this correct?

It's the only reason I didn't do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

theintern wrote: »
    Which one did you buy and what speeds are you getting?
    upgraded to the 240mbit package
    tplink tl-wpa4220kit

220mbit so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coolbreeze72

I thought if I set my Cisco 3925 to bridge mode, that the phone wouldn't work... Is this correct?

It's the only reason I didn't do it

No, phone still works!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    I upgraded to that Limitless 240 broadband with mobile calls package for €45 with a 12 months new contract + €10 off for the first 6 months.
    So it's slightly better deal then it is available for new customers.

What is important is the great upload speed of about 24 Mbps which is very useful if you got google drive or similar services in the cloud.
    And actually I am getting those connection speeds but only on cable as you can see on attached screenshot

how many free minutes do u get to irish mobiles ?

leo2a6 wrote: »
    how many free minutes do u get to irish mobiles ?

All day unlimited to landmine/mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Just wondering if you sign up to BB and Phone package do they send you the Horizon box? I would be a new customer. Had that box last year but got rid of upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'm currently on promo paying 38 Euro for 120mb, full TV package and phone which runs till May. After that I'll see what I can bargain with them or will threaten to cancel and open a new account in my partner's name (which is what got me my current promo)
    Maybe just highlight one fact which should be kept in consideration:
    To allow Three Ireland to take over O2's Irish mobile business, UPC committed to take a very favourable mobile wholesale agreement with them middle of last year. I would be expecting UPC to release soon a bundle which includes a mobile phone service. Other UPC sister companies do this in Europe (in Uk, Holland and Belgium) and they are usually very good offers which in combination with Wi-Fi sharing and the Voip phone app turn out to be excellent value.
    I would assume that they'd launch with some pretty aggressive promo a on the back of this
    If like me you are in a promo it may make sense to wait it out until these bundles come

Just wondering if you sign up to BB and Phone package do they send you the Horizon box? I would be a new customer. Had that box last year but got rid of upc.

I got the bb and phone deal. Come with a technicolor modem/router. Max wifi of 70ish mbps. Upc have bridge mode locked in it, but a bit of searching will show you how to enable it so you can connect your own wifi router

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bromley52

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    I'm currently on promo paying 38 Euro for 120mb, full TV package and phone which runs till May. After that I'll see what I can bargain with them or will threaten to cancel and open a new account in my partner's name (which is what got me my current promo)
    Maybe just highlight one fact which should be kept in consideration:
    To allow Three Ireland to take over O2's Irish mobile business, UPC committed to take a very favourable mobile wholesale agreement with them middle of last year. I would be expecting UPC to release soon a bundle which includes a mobile phone service. Other UPC sister companies do this in Europe (in Uk, Holland and Belgium) and they are usually very good offers which in combination with Wi-Fi sharing and the Voip phone app turn out to be excellent value.
    I would assume that they'd launch with some pretty aggressive promo a on the back of this
    If like me you are in a promo it may make sense to wait it out until these bundles come

UPC have no problem with in contract customers moving to new products and beginning new contracts. Iv done this and Iv also got what ever deal was going at the time. I only ever deal with the loyalty dept as well. The contract and €200 breakage clause is to encourage you to stage with UPC for the duration of whatever contact you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Talisman

How did you get the router to work with it if you havent changed to bridging mode? You have it in routing mode, with another router plugged into it?
    You set the DMZ Host on the Cable Modem to the IP address of your router. Turn off the firewall/set it to the lowest setting.

My setup:
    Technicolor Modem - 192.168.0.1
    http://192.168.0.1/advanced/dmz.asp
    DMZ Host : 192.168.0.2
    Firewall : Low (It wasn't possible to switch it off at the time of setup)

Draytek Vigor router:
    WAN Configuration
    Connection : Static IP
    IP Address : 192.168.0.2
    Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1

LAN Configuration
    IP Address : 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The network clients have been configured to use the LAN port (192.168.0.3) of my router as the gateway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I got the bb and phone deal. Come with a technicolor modem/router. Max wifi of 70ish mbps. Upc have bridge mode locked in it, but a bit of searching will show you how to enable it so you can connect your own wifi router

When i had the horizon bxz i just connected my own router and that worked to get speeds of 200mb. Can this be done with the technicolor modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bromley52 wrote: »
    UPC have no problem with in contract customers moving to new products and beginning new contracts. Iv done this and Iv also got what ever deal was going at the time. I only ever deal with the loyalty dept as well.

I do it myself all the time, but usually through the regular sales guys.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

When i had the horizon bxz i just connected my own router and that worked to get speeds of 200mb. Can this be done with the technicolor modem?

It can, I do as mentioned earlier.

It is far from elegant, I really should set up bridging, but this is what I do.

I simply plug my wifi router into a port on the Tehnicolor modem, I change the IP address of my wifi router to 192.168.1.1 (the IP address of the Technicolor is 192.168.1.0). I also set the DHCP of the wifi router to issues IP addresses to connected devices in the range of 192.168.1.x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I simply plug my wifi router into a port on the Tehnicolor modem, I change the IP address of my wifi router to 192.168.1.1 (the IP address of the Technicolor is 192.168.1.0). I also set the DHCP of the wifi router to issues IP addresses to connected devices in the range of 192.168.1.x

You sure about that? That is a network address and can't be used as a host ip address.

degsie wrote: »
    You sure about that? That is a network address and can't be used as a host ip address.
    I'd say he means 192.168.0.1

Elegant or no, if you get 200Mb over wifi, youre doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Is the 240MB package (€45) the only one that has mobile calls included?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think you would do something like:

If the ip of your UPC Modem is 192.168.1.1 set your Wifi router to something that is in the same range e.g. 192.168.1.2

Set DMZ on your UPC Router to point to 192.168.1.2

Turn off DHCP on the UPC Modem

Turn on DHCP on the Wifi Router and set it to hand out addresses like:

192.168.1.10-60

Primary DNS Server 89.101.160.4
    Alternate DNS Server 89.101.160.5

IMO I would go the bridging route, this setup can have problems with Bit Torrent and SIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bromley52

zefer wrote: »
    Is the 240MB package (€45) the only one that has mobile calls included?

Yes. The €40 package doesn't so you are paying €5 extra for free mobile.

Advertisement