Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options
  • 07-01-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

I just signed up to this as it is such a good package.

Limitless 240mb broadband
    unlimited anytime mobile, and landlines calls.
    400min international calls to 22 countries (including USA & Canadian mobiles).

The unlimited mobile calls can be used via an app on your smartphone from anywhere as long as your have WiFi access.

On my previous package I was getting less and paying more.

There are packages including TV as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

bromley52 wrote: »

400min international calls to 22 countries.

The unlimited mobile calls can be used via an app on your smartphone from anywhere as long as your have WiFi access.

So

Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭KrakityJones

Thats very good, I'm paying €43 per month for 120mb. I'm out of contract as such so wonder if they'll move me to that deal...I also see it's 25 a month for the first 4 months but new customer's only so doubt I'd get that. Nice one for the heads up though, will see what I can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

So

Viber.

Not quite the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

So

Viber.

So if you want to make calls from your landline number instead of your mobile number it's fairly handy.. might move my business number to this, save me a good few €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Did you ring them up to do it or online through their site?

I'm on the 120mb deal and saw on their site I'd be expected to pay a one-off €60 fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Probably not the best place to ask but...

Would the UPC supplied Cisco 3925 handle the 200mb if I got upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Invincible

Thats very good, I'm paying €43 per month for 120mb. I'm out of contract as such so wonder if they'll move me to that deal...I also see it's 25 a month for the first 4 months but new customer's only so doubt I'd get that. Nice one for the heads up though, will see what I can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Yep, I have that router from UPC and well, just look at my sig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Yep, I have that router from UPC and well, just look at my sig :)
    Thanks for the quick reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

They told me the cisco supports 240Mb so happy days... I requested the upgrade earlier so I'll be able to check how well it works soon. They waived the €60 fee as the price had gone up on my contract which allowed me to change plan without penalty. Probably best to avoid the online sign up as they seem to charge €60 by default for some bundles... Get in touch by email or give them a call instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

I think I was paying 45 for their 60mb connection so I just got the free upgrade!

Cheers OP!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

By any chance do you know what the app is called?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's the Horizon Phone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Whats the contract length on these - 12/18/24 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

ArtyM wrote: »
    Whats the contract length on these - 12/18/24 months?

12 months. I upgraded on Monday. I was still in contract paying €55 for 200mb.

It makes you wonder why the made such a fanfare about the rise in TV prices and very little about the drop in cost for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

Lads, 120, 150, 200 ,240 doesn't matter . best you'll get on WiFi is around 70 anyway.

Even if you run a wired connection all the time, how many servers will you be connecting to that will provide enough bandwidth to utilise a 240Mbs download speed to it's capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

pah wrote: »
    Lads, 120, 150, 200 ,240 doesn't matter . best you'll get on WiFi is around 70 anyway.

Even if you run a wired connection all the time, how many servers will you be connecting to that will provide enough bandwidth to utilise a 240Mbs download speed to it's capacity.

The shït router upc supply is good for 50mbps alright, I got one on adverts for €60 and wifi is good for 450mbps n, so just waiting on upc to catch up :)

As for bandwidth, depends on the number of seeders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Iv just been messing with the Horizon Phone app and it's really very handy. Not only can you make calls using your home package but you can also receive calls made to your home phone. Calls can be made by up to 3 users of the app at the same time as well as the main phone. This is like having 4 outgoing landlines. I'm not sure if the same applies to incoming calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

pah wrote: »

For day to day browsing and streaming I agree, you can't tell the difference.. It's the same as driving a micra or a ferrari down the M50... Speed limit is still the same..

I'm more interested in upload speeds getting better... handy for sending large files

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

unklerosco wrote: »
    For day to day browsing and streaming I agree, you can't tell the difference.. It's the same as driving a micra or a ferrari down the M50... Speed limit is still the same..

I'm more interested in upload speeds getting better... handy for sending large files

I would still like to the drive a Ferrari though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

stimpson wrote: »
    12 months. I upgraded on Monday. I was still in contract paying €55 for 200mb.

It makes you wonder why the made such a fanfare about the rise in TV prices and very little about the drop in cost for broadband.

New contract though right? So cheaper monthly but more expensive to pay than you would have been already contracted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

Corholio wrote: »
    New contract though right? So cheaper monthly but more expensive to pay than you would have been already contracted to.

New contract is always part of a new deal. is there a cheaper comparable offer available? Because if there is I'm sure it will involve a contract aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I upgraded on this earlier before seeing this thread - my monthly price has gone down while I get double the speed and unlimited calls instead of offpeak - happy days! I did it over the phone as I too was unsettled by the €60 charge online - no charge over the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

So

Viber.

Viber can only call other people with Viber as far as I'm aware, this is VoIP, completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

duffman13 wrote: »
    New contract is always part of a new deal. is there a cheaper comparable offer available? Because if there is I'm sure it will involve a contract aswell.

In just taking it as a deal yes. But if you were, let's say, 6 months into your current contract and then they changed their terms like they have and offered you the better deal signings a new 12 month contract. They'd then have you for 18 months instead of your original 12 months, which is 6 more than they might have had you. I mean it's fine if you were completely happy with everything but 18 months isn't always agreeable to everyone.

It's like the 'scam' they pulled on a few people with the overcharging on the bill and then 'fixing' their mistake and putting the amount that was overcharged as credit on the bill so your monthly cost eats it up faster then the deal amount would. So instead of it cheaper for 6 months and then normal for 6, it ended up being that no month was actually charged at the special rate. People like to budget for the months ahead, its not always about the current deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

now im depressed...... over 50 euro a month for 0.8 MB broadband and a home phone i dont want....... eircom....... what id give to be able to get UPC.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

There's also their 120mb package and free calls for €40.

I'll be moving to that as I'm currently on 120mb and its more than I need. Saves me about €48 a year. Yeah its a new contract. No other bb comes close where I live so I've no problem signing up for another year.

Edit: I just rang them. The €40 package I mentioned only gives free landline calls. I hadn't noticed that. So I went with the €45 one.

Corholio wrote: »

I'm not going anywhere and I have no plans to cancel. I've been with UPC for 5 years or more and have never had a problem. I think I can remember one day when the service was down. Who would I go to anyway? Eircom? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

I upgraded to that Limitless 240 broadband with mobile calls package for €45 with a 12 months new contract + €10 off for the first 6 months.
    So it's slightly better deal then it is available for new customers.

What is important is the great upload speed of about 24 Mbps which is very useful if you got google drive or similar services in the cloud.
    And actually I am getting those connection speeds but only on cable as you can see on attached screenshot

• Advertisement

You need a router and device that supports 802.11ac. I'm getting the full 240 wirelessly with a Netgear R7000.

Advertisement