Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

• 17-12-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

BK: The following instructions also apply to the UPC Technicolor TC7200

Folks,

I spent hours looking for solution to change Thomson TWG870U to cable modem mode.
    I tried the html code injection based on great guide by DECEiFER, but without success.

I finally have managed to achieve this by changing value in MIB table. Here is how to: (use network cable connected directly to Thomson router, don't do this over WiFi)

Windows guide 1 (original one that worked for me)
    1. Download application capable of MIB editing (I have used CM watch (client) - nice cable modem monitoring tool, can be downloaded here)

2. Download Net-SMP from here.

3. Make sure you set up your CM Watch correctly:
    * Host - this is your router
    * Leave community settings at public.
    * we don't need (and we don't know) CMTS IP address.
    * path to NET-SNMP installation.

aaa1.png

aaa2.png

4. Make sure you disable firewall on both your PC and router, disable any antyvirus software you have. Also enable 'Remote Config Management' on the Thomson

aaa35.png

aaa3.png

Once I've done all steps above I could see some info from the mode.

5. Select 'Set OID' from the icon bar.

aaa6.png

6. Change following key:
    from 2 to 1
    Type: Integer
    Use bottom part of the 'Set OID' window. When ready just click 'Set'

aaa4.png

7. Router should restart itself and change mode from 'Cable Home' to 'Cable Modem. That's it!

My Open-WRT have public IP now (on the picture below it is my pc to show the method working), speeds are a bit better but ping was greatly improved. Phone still works.

Windows guide 2 (thanks to Jonathanpbk)
    I could not get CMWatch to communicate with the Thomson at all. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't bring up any info from it.
    So I ended up looking around for an alternative MIB browser.
    I eventually found this. The free version works fine.

I put the routers IP into the bar at the top, clicked "Advanced" and entered "public" into the "Read/Write Community" fields.
    Selected "Walk" in the "Operations" drop-down on the top bar back in the main window and clicked "Go". Straight away I'm seeing tonnes of info about the Thomson. I'm also seeing loads of MIB keys, so I search for the string in the first post and sure enough it's there, set to 2 as it should be. So I right-clicked (i think) on it and clicked "Set". changed the 2 to a 1 and saved it. Immediately my network connection died and started obtaining an IP again. Once it reconnected, I had a public IP on my PC!

Linux / Unix / Mac OS X guide (thanks to drabisan)
    For further reference, in case a Linux user is too lazy to find it by itself, command is
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

Assuming Thomson's ip address is 192.168.0.1

Note 1:
    Modem settings can be reverted to default by doing factory reset - just hold the reset button at the back of the modem for > 30 seconds
    Note 2:
    Router can be accessed under: 192.168.100.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Brilliant find! I hope it does work on the TC2700 also because that will make a lot of people's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

Excellent docentore, well done for all your hard work figuring this out, cant wait to try it.

This will finally unleash the full awesomeness of my Asus RT-N56U, simultaneous dual band N600 router!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

No worries, I'll try to write up proper guide, but that might have to wait until middle of January as I'm mad busy right now.
    Anyone wants to do the "noob" guide - please feel free to do so.
    Router Modem can be still accessed on 192.168.100.1

2013-12-17_22-44-58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Sorry for the basic question, but what's the benefit of doing this?.

(I realise if I need to ask I probably don't need to know!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Hezekiah Faithful Newlywed

docentore wrote: »
    Folks,

I spent hours looking for solution to change Thomson TWG870U to cable modem mode.
    I tried the html code injection based on great guide by DECEiFER, but without success.

I finally have managed to achieve this by changing value in MIB table. Here is how to:
    1. Download application capable of MIB editing (I used CM watch - nice cable modem monitoring tool)
    2. Change following key:

from 2 to 1.

3. That's it!

My Open-WRT have public IP now, speeds are a bit better but ping was greatly improved. Phone still works.

My apologies for very basic guide, I did this on using BootCamp partition on my macbook and just switched back to osx. Will update the guide when I'll have some more time.

(Might work also on Technicolor TC7200 as this one has also Broadcom chipset - needs to be confirmed)

I remember trying this before when I had the 870UIR, however for SNMP communication, this MIB wasn't available via public. You had to use private. And even though it was possible to obtain the private community string, accessing it was locked to LAN ip from UPC side e.g. 10.x.x.x.

It might have changed now though some firmware changes?

• Advertisement

I remember trying this before when I had the 870UIR, however for SNMP communication, this MIB wasn't available via public. You had to use private. And even though it was possible to obtain the private community string, accessing it was locked to LAN ip from UPC side e.g. 10.x.x.x.

It might have changed now though some firmware changes?

Strange, I was able to do this no probs from my internal (I use 192.168.10. subnet) IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaCXyLo

hey dudes,
    it's chirstmastime. so i have a present for ya:
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/m81q_K34/D3925-P15-5-v302r125551-111216.html
    This is a original archive from cisco...
    inside are mib tables for a type of cable modem.

second found today:
    http://www.pronext.com.pl/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=3&Itemid=18#

present-16ufgnb.jpg

kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Folks,

I finally have managed to achieve this by changing value in MIB table. Here is how to:
    1. Download application capable of MIB editing (I used CM watch - nice cable modem monitoring tool)
    2. Change following key:

from 2 to 1.

3. That's it!

My Open-WRT have public IP now, speeds are a bit better but ping was greatly improved. Phone still works.

My apologies for very basic guide, I did this on using BootCamp partition on my macbook and just switched back to osx. Will update the guide when I'll have some more time.

(Might work also on Technicolor TC7200 as this one has also Broadcom chipset - needs to be confirmed)

Does anyone know how to get CMWatch to connect to the Thomson?

MaCXyLo wrote: »
    hey dudes,
    it's chirstmastime. so i have a present for ya:
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/m81q_K34/D3925-P15-5-v302r125551-111216.html
    This is a original archive from cisco...
    inside are mib tables for a type of cable modem.

second found today:
    http://www.pronext.com.pl/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=3&Itemid=18#

present-16ufgnb.jpg

kind regards

Good find. I've updated the OP to include the CM Watch3 download link

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Downloaded CMWatch and installed on win7- had a quick look at this with my TC7200
    Tried to communicate with modem, but getting no response from CMTS.
    Using a wired connection to modem - tried both modem address and public address.
    Also ran exe as administrator, but no go either.

Do I need to configure any else besides Host?

WW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Isn't it absurd that UPC force their customers to go through these hoops and won't deign to communicate with customers as to why the basic facility isn't available.

Downloaded CMWatch and installed on win7- had a quick look at this with my TC7200
    Tried to communicate with modem, but getting no response from CMTS.
    Using a wired connection to modem - tried both modem address and public address.
    Also ran exe as administrator, but no go either.

Do I need to configure any else besides Host?

WW

Did you get ANY info off the router? I never got any response of the CMTS, neither CM status.
    What I had was just MAC addresses displayed and some info on SNMP template screen. Just went to 'Set OID' and typed the values above into the lower part of the screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I can't get any response out of my Thomson for this.

Though ironically, while testing I found my WRT350N with OpenWRT that I planned to use, has terrible throughput and chokes out at 75mbps, whereas the Thomson manages the full 150 mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Did you get ANY info off the router? I never got any response of the CMTS, neither CM status.
    What I had was just MAC addresses displayed and some info on SNMP template screen. Just went to 'Set OID' and typed the values above into the lower part of the screen.

No got nothing at all.
    Status (bottom) line just shows host addr, Standby, Not Responding, No data from CMTS, No data from CMTS, Polling ON.

Did notice when I startup, it takes a few seconds to populate the status line - suspect it's timing out.

While looking for some info on using CMWatch came across a java based tool call DocsDiag - you run it from the command line.
    Tried out the various parameters (eg: ip addresses, HFC mac address), but times out with a 'Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx not responding'
    Cannot reset modem to test if snmp is being blocked by modem firmware.
    Using info from here homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag

Will post if I get any further.

Would be nice if UPC just upgraded the firmware to the same version as used in The Netherlands!

WW

folks, check firewall on the Thomson router. Make sure t is disabled.
    I'll reset my router to factory settings and do the guide with screenshots etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've tried that too, it still doesn't respond.

Spear wrote: »
    I've tried that too, it still doesn't respond.

I just had the modem reset to defaults. Then repeated whole procedure - worked perfectly for the second time. See updated OP with screenshots and some more details

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

I'm also having the same issue as Spear and white_westie, unfortunately...

Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I had a DLL error when I first tried to open CMWatch. I downloaded the missing file and all seemed fine. Don't think it would cause a connection issue, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Also, I get a message about the SNMP template every time I run CMWatch. Again, don't know if that's important but I thought I'd mention it anyway!

I'd love to figure this out! It's either this, or try and get UPC to swap out my Thomson for a Cisco that I can set to Bridge mode! And that's like getting blood out of a stone!

EDIT: Just thought I'd add a bit more info about my set up so you have a better understanding. I'm on Windows 8.1 with no third party virus or firewall software. I have Windows Defender and Windows Firewall turned off. I'm hard-wired into the router and the router is reset completely. The router firewall is disabled, and Remote Config Management is enabled as per instructions.

Anyway, here are some screenshots.

SNMP Template message:
    Untitled1.png

Configuration:
    Untitled3.pngUntitled4.png

Main window after trying to connect:
    Untitled5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Would anyone be able to explain the reason for doing this pretty please? I've been googling but can't find jack.

I currently have my twg870 hardwired to a wl500w running ddwrt and acting as an wireless access point to combat my wifi proof abode.

Edit: Am I or the right track here? http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/routervsbridge.cfm

Ok, so I think I got this working!

I could not get CMWatch to communicate with the Thomson at all. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't bring up any info from it. So I ended up looking around for an alternative MIB browser. I eventually found this. The free version works fine.

I put the routers IP into the bar at the top, clicked "Advanced" and entered "public" into the "Read/Write Community" fields. Selected "Walk" in the "Operations" drop-down on the top bar back in the main window and clicked "Go". Straight away I'm seeing tonnes of info about the Thomson. I'm also seeing loads of MIB keys, so I search for the string in the first post and sure enough it's there, set to 2 as it should be. So I right-clicked (i think) on it and clicked "Set". changed the 2 to a 1 and saved it. Immediately my network connection died and started obtaining an IP again. Once it reconnected, I had a public IP on my PC! So I'm assuming it worked! Going to get a new router now!

One thing I wanted to ask. When you go to 192.168.100.1 now, it's really basic. Only "Status" and "Wireless" show up under "Gateway". Is that normal, yeah? Also, I can't connect to it again with the MIB browser. So how can you reverse this if, say, I needed to send the Thomson back to UPC for whatever reason?

Thanks again for the guide! If this helps me get over NAT issues on the PS4, I'll be forever grateful! haha

• Advertisement

Update:

So I've run into a major issue. When I have the Thomson wired to my PC, my PC gets automatically assigned a 109.255.243. IP. The subnet is 255.255.254.0. I can browse the internet just fine when it's wired to the pc.

However, when I try and hook it into the WAN port of my new router (TP-Link WDR3600) with stock firmware AND DD-WRT, I get nothing on the WAN port. So now I can only receive internet on one PC, and no wireless devices! I also can't revert to the original setup because I can't connect to the Modem with the MIB browser or CMWatch any more. This is very crippling as there are multiple PC's and laptops in the house, as well as phones and games consoles...

Can anyone help me please!? I obviously can't even go to UPC with this as I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be tampering with the Thomson!! I'm really desperate at this stage. I've been tinkering for hours, with no solution in sight.

Ok, so I think I got this working!

I could not get CMWatch to communicate with the Thomson at all. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't bring up any info from it. So I ended up looking around for an alternative MIB browser. I eventually found this. The free version works fine.

I put the routers IP into the bar at the top, clicked "Advanced" and entered "public" into the "Read/Write Community" fields. Selected "Walk" in the "Operations" drop-down on the top bar back in the main window and clicked "Go". Straight away I'm seeing tonnes of info about the Thomson. I'm also seeing loads of MIB keys, so I search for the string in the first post and sure enough it's there, set to 2 as it should be. So I right-clicked (i think) on it and clicked "Set". changed the 2 to a 1 and saved it. Immediately my network connection died and started obtaining an IP again. Once it reconnected, I had a public IP on my PC! So I'm assuming it worked! Going to get a new router now!

One thing I wanted to ask. When you go to 192.168.100.1 now, it's really basic. Only "Status" and "Wireless" show up under "Gateway". Is that normal, yeah? Also, I can't connect to it again with the MIB browser. So how can you reverse this if, say, I needed to send the Thomson back to UPC for whatever reason?

Thanks again for the guide! If this helps me get over NAT issues on the PS4, I'll be forever grateful! haha

This approach worked for me. Time to see how well it works.

How do I reverse this? The OID doesn't appear any more after the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭ondafly

if you reset the modem , does it restore it to a normal router/modem combo ?

ondafly wrote: »
    if you reset the modem , does it restore it to a normal router/modem combo ?

No, it maintains the mode that was set, so in this case it's in modem only mode.

So my issue was that I forgot to power cycle everything after I got the new modem, and it just would not pick up a WAN IP. Silly me, that's always the first bit of advice that I give anyone that asks me about tech issues!!

Anyway, everything is working brilliantly now! No more NAT errors on the PS4 or Xbox one which is all I really wanted out of this! Not to mention I now have a lovely new DD-WRT router doing my routing and WIFI etc! Really happy now!

I would, however, like to know if there is a way of reversing this. Just for future reference, in case I need to swap the Thomson out for any reason.

Anyway, thanks a million to docentore for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

Do you think anything like this would work with the Horizon box? Or would it not because the fact that Horizon is a router and set top box in one?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

docentore, I hope you know how many people in Ireland you helped with your discovery!
    Thank you!

For further reference, in case a Linux user is too lazy to find it by itself, command is
    snmpset -v2c -c public 192.168.0.1 1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0 i 1

Assuming Thomson's ip address is 192.168.0.1.

I have to admit I don't understand exactly why "Remote Config Management" needs to be enable, but I haven't tested it without "Remote Config Management".

One more time, Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That OID doesn't exist on my TWG870U. All its OIDs start with iso.3.6.1.XX. If I snmpwalk the modem, the only mention of "4413" is in one line (of 1046):
    iso.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 = OID: iso.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.1.6

. I.e. no "1.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0" or "iso.3.6.1.4.1.4413.2.2.2.1.7.1.1.0" OID to modify.

I wonder is my firmware version (STB9.01.30) the issue, or am I doing it wrong™?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Hi all,

Is there any setting made available during in this procedure that would help me with Port Forwarding on my TWG-870U?

I've never been able to get mine to play nice with forwarding

Cheers

Advertisement