Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

degsie wrote: »
    You sure about that? That is a network address and can't be used as a host ip address.

Yeah sorry, typo there, the Technicolors IP address is 192.168.0.1
    I think you would do something like:

If the ip of your UPC Modem is 192.168.1.1 set your Wifi router to something that is in the same range e.g. 192.168.1.2

Set DMZ on your UPC Router to point to 192.168.1.2

Turn off DHCP on the UPC Modem

Turn on DHCP on the Wifi Router and set it to hand out addresses like:

192.168.1.10-60

Primary DNS Server 89.101.160.4
    Alternate DNS Server 89.101.160.5

IMO I would go the bridging route, this setup can have problems with Bit Torrent and SIP

Yup you can do that too. I forgot to mention that in my setup, I turn off DHCP and wireless on the UCP modem and I set the the wifi router to hand out IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200

I also have nothing else plugged into the UPC modem, everything hangs off the wifi router. I have 3 x 8 port gigbit switches around the apartment for extra ports.

All designed to avoid conflict between the two devices. I absolutely agree that bridging would be better, however I haven't seen any issues with bittorrent, etc. with my current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I think you would do something like:

If the ip of your UPC Modem is 192.168.1.1 set your Wifi router to something that is in the same range e.g. 192.168.1.2

Set DMZ on your UPC Router to point to 192.168.1.2

Turn off DHCP on the UPC Modem

Turn on DHCP on the Wifi Router and set it to hand out addresses like:

192.168.1.10-60

Primary DNS Server 89.101.160.4
    Alternate DNS Server 89.101.160.5

IMO I would go the bridging route, this setup can have problems with Bit Torrent and SIP

Anything special that needs to be set for bridging mode? I have it running, but I am only getting 80Mb d/l on my own router, whereas direct connection to the modem gives me 200 d/l

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Would the following router be able to handle the traffic of the 240MB UPC package do you think: TPLink: 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TL-WR841N

I have the cisco 3925 in bridge mode connected to the TP Link, presently on the 30mb package and considering making the leap to the faster ones that have just become available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭droidman123

Does anyone know if the horizon box you get with this package act as the router as well as the TV box or is the router separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bromley52

Does anyone know if the horizon box you get with this package act as the router as well as the TV box or is the router separate?

Horizon box is combined router and tv. If you already have a suitable upc router it is recommended that you keep using that instead of the horizon box as it is still very buggy and the range is not very good. You are allowed to do this even though they may try to talk you out of it or charge you €60 for the privilege. A quick chat with the loyalty dept would sort that out.

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    Horizon box is combined router and tv. If you already have a suitable upc router it is recommended that you keep using that instead of the horizon box as it is still very buggy and the range is not very good. You are allowed to do this even though they may try to talk you out of it or charge you €60 for the privilege. A quick chat with the loyalty dept would sort that out.
    I have my phone service with upc also,so if i kept my current router i assume i would just leave the landline phone plugged into my current router and just use the horizon box for tv only?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

What is upc's web site is it www.upc.ie , because I cant seem to be able to connect to it , tried chrome and explorer.

its always extremely slow, useless site; if you click on it, it will eventually load, just give it a bit of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks for this alert.

I was paying 43 for 24Mb with phone and no extra mins on the phone line.

Not sure if the extra bandwidth will be any use as 24m was already plenty. But the home phone and being able to call internationally is a real benefit.

Had to pay 60 for connection and new router though.

What is the upload speed with this package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

With all the talk on here the last few pages, will the router that is supplied with this offer be capable if achieving the advertised speed? I've ordered this but now I'm wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I have two frequencies on my Cisco3925..........can i use the 5.1 Ghz to get more speed ? I only get 55 Mbps on my 200 Mbps over WiFi !! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

5GHz usually doesn't give as good coverage as 2.4 but it should give you a good speed increase (also good if there is a lot of other 2.4GHz devices in the area as there is a lot less interference on 5GHz)

my laptop and chromecast only found the network...mobile could not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bromley52 wrote: »
    Ring the UPC loyalty dept on 061 272190. They are so nice and have no problem in giving the 'new customer offers' or better to existing customer. The main sales staff are completely clueless and rude.

Any idea what time these guys work until? I had thought it was up to 9pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

With UPC, does 240 MB mean 240 MB?

I currently have an 'upto' 24 MB service with digiweb but it rarely goes above 12 (according to speedtest.net) and never above 14 - apparently due to the line from the exchange

If I go with UPC will it be the same story or can I expect the full advertised speed. I've asked UPC reps this question several times but never got a straight answer.

Flyer28 wrote: »

I currently have an 'upto' 24 MB service with digiweb but it rarely goes above 12 (according to speedtest.net) and never above 14 - apparently due to the line from the exchange

If I go with UPC will it be the same story or can I expect the full advertised speed. I've asked UPC reps this question several times but never got a straight answer.

I get slightly over my current 25Mb allowance . But this could be about where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

ArtyM wrote: »
    Whats the contract length on these - 12/18/24 months?

18 with discount or 12 without

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Hi

Just switched over to this 240mg package with upc - I have the Cisco EPC3925 and only getting 35-40 download and 24 upload - if the upload is one tenth normally up the download why amn't I getting 240 download ? Is it them or me ?

cheers
    fullirish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In my experience you get pretty much what is advertised, give or take a 1Mb or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

@ Captain Morgan - the download speed i am getting is the same wired and wireless - 35 to 40 , up to a couple of months ago I used to get a d/l of 70 but now not over 40, but since I switched to the 240mg package the upload has doubled from 12 to 24.

Im just wondering why anyone would need 240mb going to a home . Its seems quite excessive for a normal families needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

What router do you have, and what wifi card in your laptop?

For actual download speed divide by ~8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Im just wondering why anyone would need 240mb going to a home . Its seems quite excessive for a normal families needs.

Three phones, sky box, chrome cast, smart TV (netflix), two laptops, two tabs, spotify on sonos speaker.. That's just the legal side.

Maybe no one here is in a normal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

We signed up for it and we were told they're going to send out a wireless modem we've to set up here ourselves within 5 days via DPD, that was yesterday. Is it much of a bother to set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

No one really NEEDS it, but it is nice. For example I bought GTA V digitally on my PS4 which was a 50GB download. That's 27 mins on a 240mb connection which is a lot better than the 9 hours it took my mate to download it on his DSL line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So got through to the loyalty department and spoke to a lovely rep. Ended up with the full €85 package (just a €15 increase on what I was already paying but I get a lot more- 240MB vs 30MB and all the HD channels where I've had none) on half price for 6 months and a modem separate from the Horizon box for better Wi-Fi but with the €60 fee waived.

Advertisement