Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 240mb broadband and telephone package €45/month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

timetogo wrote: »
    There's also their 120mb package and free calls for €40.

I'll be moving to that as I'm currently on 120mb and its more than I need. Saves me about €48 a year. Yeah its a new contract. No other bb comes close where I live so I've no problem signing up for another year.

is there TV with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

So the unlimited calls (landline and mobile) can only be utilised using the horizon app?

I can't just pick up my house phone and dial away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭frash

This thread needs a UPC Rep

Think I'm paying €55 for 150MB so very interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bromley52

So the unlimited calls (landline and mobile) can only be utilised using the horizon app?

I can't just pick up my house phone and dial away?

You can use both. All UPC users can use the app to make and receive calls but you pay for whatever is not paid for by your package.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Armelodie wrote: »
    is there TV with that?

No. Is bb and phone. There isn't TV with the €45 package either.

Nice that the phone calls are going free too. I never used the phone once because of their costs before.

bromley52 wrote: »
    You can use both. All UPC users can use the app to make and receive calls but you pay for whatever is not paid for by your package.

Ah sounds great. So if I take this 45euro a month deal there's nothing stopping me ringing mobile numbers for hours. Sounds too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

just be aware, they are pushing the Horizon Box big time.

I am with them and have the old router, they want me to move bundles, faster BB but use the Horizon box, the box IMHO is lousy, wifi range brutal, lot of complaints about it.

I can keep my old router, but they want to charge me €60 for the privilege.

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

stimpson wrote: »
    You need a router and device that supports 802.11ac. I'm getting the full 240 wirelessly with a Netgear R7000.

Was that hard setup?

I've had to get a Netgear Powerline put in my bedroom as the wifi won't carry between floors in the apartment.

Ah sounds great. So if I take this 45euro a month deal there's nothing stopping me ringing mobile numbers for hours. Sounds too good to be true!

Its not really a deal. It's just one of there new packages and pricing.

On mobile calls and maybe landline as well, there is one caveat. The free call can only be 60min,but you can hang up and ring again. I don't think Iv ever made a 60min mobile call.

If anyone with a business is thinking of getting this, their t&cs state that they monitor for calling patterns indicative of such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Delighted to hear speeds are going up, 240 Mb is a decent speed.

However I would caution that speed is constrained by the weakest link.

For example, you can have a 240Mb cable, a 240Mb modem but if you laptop is using a legacy 802.11 standard then the data transfer speed will be at the speed of the slowest device, ie the laptop.

In addition Gigabit Ethernet has been out for some time now, that's 1000 Mb / second, but while most laptops have a Ethernet port they may be the older Megabit standard 100 Mb/ second.

So if you are using Ethernet cable, you should have the newer standard if you are to make the most of you connection.

I've got eircom fibre, 50Mb/sec, of which I'm availing of 42 Mb/ sec. It was on 30mb, but when I installed a 66 block punchdown block with the proper punchdown tool it went up to 42-44 Mb / second.

Just goes to show the attention to detail with specification of equipment and connections of wires / cables is very important if you are to get up to the max speed.

But I sure would be happy with 150 Mb +.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Caliden wrote: »
    Was that hard setup?

I've had to get a Netgear Powerline put in my bedroom as the wifi won't carry between floors in the apartment.

It was s little fiddly but I like that kind of thing. I do have the Thompson modem that can be put into bridge mode so that helped. I think the Cisco one can do bridged too.

There is a thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92694421

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, awesome bargain alert! Was on the 200mb phone and internet and had got an email to say it was going up in price by 2 euro in March last week
    Instead its down by about 10 euro and i get free mobile and landline calls and faster speed with this. Just called their sales line and they switched me over for no cost.
    Thank you OP!!! :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was previously on 120mb/s for 44mb/s, not even out of my first 12 month contract yet, but I've now switched to 240mb/s and I couldn't be happier :D

I can't believe that in the course of less then one year I've gone from Smart Telecom 16mbps/500kbps to 120m/12m to 240m/24m now!!!!

For just €45 we are getting one of the fastest broadband speeds in Europe!! I couldn't be happier, how times have changed. Stop and think about it lads, who thought we would have something like this in the internet blackhole of Ireland!!

The increase in the upload speed is the most important thing for me, it really makes a difference when working from home, uploading files to cloud services, etc. It makes it trivial and fast.

Here is what I get over my own 802.11n router:

334046.png

And here is what I get wired:

334047.png

Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭techdiver

The router is 802.11ac but please bear in mind you will need any client devices to support 802.11ac in order to avail of the increased speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Does anybody know if there is any way of checking how much of your free minutes (300 free anywhere bundle)youve used

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Hello, I have an Horizon box but have managed to kept my old Cisco router. Is there not a way to use the Horizon Box for TV only and the Cisco router for Wifi?

I have 120MB at the moment. I get that speed on the Kookla speed test but the fastest actual speed I've achieved is 8MB/s downloading a bunch of LEGAL files simultaneously from bit torrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Soarer

Does anyone know of a coverage map for UPC? Can't find anything on their site as to where they cover.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Hello, I have an Horizon box but have managed to kept my old Cisco router. Is there not a way to use the Horizon Box for TV only and the Cisco router for Wifi?

Yes, you need to split the coax cable and have one running to the cisco and the other running to the Horizon box. You may need to contact UPC to have the broadband activated on the cisco rather then the Horizon box.

While the cisco wifi is better then the horizon box, it is still poor compared to a quality wif router. The best set up is to use the cisco as a modem only, connected to a good quality wifi router in brdige mode.
    I have 120MB at the moment. I get that speed on the Kookla speed test but the fastest actual speed I've achieved is 8MB/s downloading a bunch of LEGAL files simultaneously from bit torrent.

Bittorrent is awful for testing speeds. Instead try downloading a big ISO file from heanet like this one:

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-amd64/10.0/FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso

I got 19.3MB/s (154mb/s, remember 1MB = 8mb) downloading this file over wifi, I'm sure it would be much faster wired.

Soarer wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a coverage map for UPC? Can't find anything on their site as to where they cover.

They have an address checker on their website, just enter your address and it will tell you what is available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I have a Horizon box but still use my Cisco router for broadband. You have to split the cable between both and contact UPC to tell them you don't want to use the Horizon for internet. If they say there's a charge tell them the WiFi signal strength of the Horizon box is unusable. It might take a week or two of complaining but they'll eventually set it up on their side for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Isn't it just €45 for the first 4 months, then it's like €90 per month?

Edit:- sorry misread the title, thought it was for tv too... FYI I rang the loyalty dept yesterday and got them from my current €80 per month for TV, BB and phone down to €40 for 6 months and 20 extra channels, then €80 for the next 6 months. So a saving of €240 for the year.

deadlast wrote: »

This is for the Phone & BB pack.
    If you're a new customer it's €25 for the first 4 months

It's the first offer in 1/3 of the page on www.upc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭Villa05

25 and then 45 after 4 months

No €25 for 1st 4 months and €45\month until the next price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,238 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

unklerosco wrote: »
    I'm more interested in upload speeds getting better... handy for sending large files

UPC doubled the upload speed to 20mbps for anyone on the 200mbps package a few months ago. Without even telling anyone or charging extra for it :)

I believe this will go up again to 25mbps for anyone going to the 240mbps package

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭DvB

cjlawlor wrote: »
    They told me the cisco supports 240Mb so happy days... I requested the upgrade earlier so I'll be able to check how well it works soon. They waived the €60 fee as the price had gone up on my contract which allowed me to change plan without penalty. Probably best to avoid the online sign up as they seem to charge €60 by default for some bundles... Get in touch by email or give them a call instead

I was told by UPC this morning when I rang & asked specifically if I needed a new modem/router (currently have a cisco with the aerials on the back) for the upgrade from 30mb to 240mb & they told me it (our current router/modem) was maxed out at 30mb & I 100% needed a new one to get any upgrade whatsoever, was informed I'll be getting a thompson to replace my existing one (don't know the specific reference for it but assume its their bog standard one) but is this not the case? Could I keep the existing one or is it an older cisco model that genuinely is outdated?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I was told by UPC this morning when I rang & asked specifically if I needed a new modem/router (currently have a cisco with the aerials on the back) for the upgrade from 30mb to 240mb & they told me it (our current router/modem) was maxed out at 30mb & I 100% needed a new one to get any upgrade whatsoever, was informed I'll be getting a thompson to replace my existing one (don't know the specific reference for it but assume its their bog standard one) but is this not the case? Could I keep the existing one or is it an older cisco model that genuinely is outdated?

If it's the EPC 2425 (I've that in my box of crap from before I upgraded). That has 10/100Mb ports. It also has a 802.11g wireless card. 802.11g maxes out at about 54Mb/s.

So you won't be getting 240Mb out of that.

You can see the specs here.
    http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/video/cable-modems-digital-voice-emta-edva/7016661_b.pdf

Dunno if that's the model your'e talking about but it's Cisco, was provided by UPC and has 2 antenna at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭DvB

timetogo wrote: »
    If it's the EPC 2425 (I've that in my box of crap from before I upgraded). That has 10/100Mb ports. It also has a 802.11g wireless card. 802.11g maxes out at about 54Mb/s.

So you won't be getting 240Mb out of that.

You can see the specs here.
    http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/video/cable-modems-digital-voice-emta-edva/7016661_b.pdf

Dunno if that's the model your'e talking about but it's Cisco, was provided by UPC and has 2 antenna at the back.

Yeah that's the one I have. At least it looks identical to the one I have. Will double check later tonight when I get home.
    But if it is, you've answered my question, I need the upgrade.
    Cheers for that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Yeah that's the one I have. At least it looks identical to the one I have. Will double check later tonight when I get home.
    But if it is, you've answered my question, I need the upgrade.
    Cheers for that.

That modem only supports DOCSIS 2.0, which maxes out at 30mb/s. You will need a new modem/router that supports DOCSIS 3.0 for speeds faster then 30mb/s (60, 120, 240mb/s).

It is like changing from ADSL to VDSL. Much more modern technology.

Advertisement