Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bride2016

We are the same. We have the hotel, photographer, dj, flower girl dresses and my dress. Also collected a few things for decoration. Next is bridesmaid dresses, florist and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Anyone not doing a cake?
    I got quoted 350 for a two tiered victoria sponge.
    Seems a bit laughable.
    Might get a small one for the cut the cake pics.
    Does anyone actually eat the cake from experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

sm213 wrote: »
    Anyone not doing a cake?
    Seems a bit laughable.

How many people are you having at your wedding? I haven't looked into the cake yet but I definitely want one, I love cake!

Just a suggestion if you're not fussed on actual cake but want something for photos, a friend of mine makes tiered cakes but with polystyrene or something like that and just ices over it and put ribbons or whatever people want on it. Looks real and obviously doesn't cost the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bride2016

Anyone not doing a cake?
    Seems a bit laughable.

They normally serve the cake with the evening food. I hoping to get someone who does it from home. I just want something simple. I've heard marks and spencer do reasonable priced cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Just on the topic of cakes- heard of a wedding where the groom was making the chocolate biscuit wedding cake!!

An aul YouTube tutorial for sugarpaste icing, nice cake topper or some flowers on top and bob's your uncle! And if you didn't want the hassle of it yourself or didn't have a creative groom-to-be you could pass it off to a relation or friend that can make a nice, simple, tasty cake. Just thought I'd mention it after seeing the prices mentioned here! :-O

• Advertisement

ShyBride: Theres about 40/50 I think (originally 35 number keeps rising :O)
    This one I think must be having a laugh I think I'll look around a bit more before I make up my mind.
    Plain old jam and cream sponge like!

Bride2016: yeah I've heard about m&s one have to check them out. I don't want to miss out on those photos over a price. I wrote to a bakery asking for same without mentioning wedding I'll see how that goes.

Tradhead: my oh loves chocolate biscuit cake and his mam makes a lovely one. Might ve an idea to rope her in to help :). Spend a day making a few trays of it together.
    Luckily I love my in laws :D

ShyBride: Theres about 40/50 I think (originally 35 number keeps rising :O)
    This one I think must be having a laugh I think I'll look around a bit more before I make up my mind.
    Plain old jam and cream sponge like!

Bride2016: yeah I've heard about m&s one have to check them out. I don't want to miss out on those photos over a price. I wrote to a bakery asking for same without mentioning wedding I'll see how that goes.

Tradhead: my oh loves chocolate biscuit cake and his mam makes a lovely one. Might ve an idea to rope her in to help :). Spend a day making a few trays of it together.
    Luckily I love my in laws :D

Oh Jesus that's a mad price for that number alright! You could get a couple of gorgeous cakes in M&S and just put them together yourself for a
    Fraction of that. Mad money altogether especially if it's something you're not fussed about having yourself.

Oh Jesus that's a mad price for that number alright! You could get a couple of gorgeous cakes in M&S and just put them together yourself for a
    Fraction of that. Mad money altogether especially if it's something you're not fussed about having yourself.

I would have expected it for a big extravagant sugarcrafted masterpiece or even more. Not for what I was asking maybe 100 for the work and stuff. Its just a cake however delicious.
    M&S cakes sound ideal for what I want and maybe rocky road so everyone gets something yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I am August 2016 :) My plan is to make a few chocolate biscuit cakes and do the white ice-ing. Gonna throw them into the kitchen to be cut up and put out for the those who love cake. Its not that important to us comparing to other things. I don't even like cake. Might get a "fake" cake for the pose. Nobody would be any the wiser.
    I have fallen for a wildly expensive dress so its taking precedent.......:L

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emma8

Anyone looking at Belleek castle for a venue? I love the look of the brochure but with no prices I can only assume it's really expensive. I'd love some feedback if anyone has any info please.
    X

• Advertisement

Emma8 wrote: »
    Anyone looking at Belleek castle for a venue? I love the look of the brochure but with no prices I can only assume it's really expensive. I'd love some feedback if anyone has any info please.
    X
    When I was looking for a venue I emailed places giving my ideal price per head and asked what they could do for that. Made it a lot clearer than the way its worded with minimum numbers and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crumble_15

Hi everyone!

Have just started wedding planning :) Currently researching venues for around 80-100 people. We've been in touch with Carton House, but they said the min. number of people for a weekend wedding is 140. Other places we are looking at are Village at Lyons, which is gorgeous, but may be a bit far for people, and the room rates are v. expensive! Anyone got some suggestions that would be good for that number of people, around Dublin/Kildare during Nov/Dec?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Have you booked in for your marriage courses ?

When will you register your intent to marry?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

michellie wrote: »

Have this do be but I'm March 2016. Don't need to do a pre Marraige thankfully as its a humanist ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Have this do be but I'm March 2016. Don't need to do a pre Marraige thankfully as its a humanist ceremony

Hmmm I have to ring the priest next month, im sure he will tell me when to do these things:)

I feel like i should be doing more jobs, but have none. Anyone else feel like they should be doing more?

Hmmm I have to ring the priest next month, im sure he will tell me when to do these things:)

I feel like i should be doing more jobs, but have none. Anyone else feel like they should be doing more?

Spend your time thinking about the styling. It's actually what takes the longest

Were having a humanist ceremony too so don't need to do the pre-marriage course. Our appointment to register intent is in mid-November for our April wedding. The lady we spoke to on the phone said January would be too late so we picked a date in November as December is crazy busy for us so we wouldn't have had a chance to make an appointment for then. We're getting married on the 9th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Were having a humanist ceremony too so don't need to do the pre-marriage course. Our appointment to register intent is in mid-November for our April wedding. The lady we spoke to on the phone said January would be too late so we picked a date in November as December is crazy busy for us so we wouldn't have had a chance to make an appointment for then. We're getting married on the 9th April.

I'm just waiting on the venue approval to come back, then I have the dreaded apostille stamp to get :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm just waiting on the venue approval to come back, then I have the dreaded apostille stamp to get :(

Oh yeah we had to get the stamp for my fiancé as he's from Scotland. Where do you have to get yours from? I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how quick his cert came back after we posted it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We registered in December 2014 for a May 2015 wedding. We wanted to get it done while we were home for Christmas so we didn't have to pay for an extra trip home to do it.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah we had to get the stamp for my fiancé as he's from Scotland. Where do you have to get yours from? I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how quick his cert came back after we posted it.

London for me, so hopefully not much trouble! Was told it can take a bit longer as it was pre 90s signed, and the price is just upsetting! Think most of the process can be done online now like payment and return options so going to do that as soon as we get back from hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I have to get one too! I only started reading about them a few weeks ago.. I'm at bit ignorant and assumed I could just get married without hassle here, oops :P . I'm from New Zealand originally but have a British passport, so I thought everything should be fine and dandy but nope :(

I have to get one too! I only started reading about them a few weeks ago.. I'm at bit ignorant and assumed I could just get married without hassle here, oops :P . I'm from New Zealand originally but have a British passport, so I thought everything should be fine and dandy but nope :(

I have a bloody Irish passport and they still want me to do it :pac:

London for me, so hopefully not much trouble! Was told it can take a bit longer as it was pre 90s signed, and the price is just upsetting! Think most of the process can be done online now like payment and return options so going to do that as soon as we get back from hols!

Yeah we printed off the form from the website, paid online and printed the payment confirmation off to be sent with the cert. Pain in the ass but worth sorting sooner rather than later in case they need more info or something. I'm a panicker so I wanted it done ASAP in case there was any issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Anyone not doing a cake?
    Seems a bit laughable.

We did not bother with a cake.
    No-one cared or noticed.

We did not bother with a cake.
    No-one cared or noticed.

I'm getting a 3-tier in white with gold embellishments to match theme. Bottom is chocolate biscuit, middle is madeira and top is chocolate fudge and that is 170!
    Some of the quoted prices I've seen are crazy! It'll definitely be eaten at my wedding though, most of us have serious sweet teeth!

I'm making my own cake. My future sister in law is going to decorate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

He folks. Just back from 10 days in Italy!! Fabulous - anyway we are now less than a year away OMG!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Shashabear that's a great price for the cake!

Western lass Im thinking of doing the cake myself as well, what kind of cake are you going for? I'm thinking fruit cake layer, chocolate biscuit, & mint & dark chocolate buscuit so well be able to make it a few days beforehand.

I've been to a few weddings without cake, I Prob sound like a pig but I noticed & missed it, obviously wouldn't say it to the bride though!!

Picked our 1st dance song over the weekend!

• Advertisement

Shashabear that's a great price for the cake!

Western lass Im thinking of doing the cake myself as well, what kind of cake are you going for? I'm thinking fruit cake layer, chocolate biscuit, & mint & dark chocolate buscuit so well be able to make it a few days beforehand.

I've been to a few weddings without cake, I Prob sound like a pig but I noticed & missed it, obviously wouldn't say it to the bride though!!

Picked our 1st dance song over the weekend!

If I'm honest its more about doing the styling myself I want lots of cakes. Doing a fruit layer and whisky biscuit then a fake top layer so can have decorated in advance. Watch YouTube's about balancing out the cakes. Fruit will be the middle I think. You use dowels to hold things in place

Advertisement