Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Wildcard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I don't think Silva will be worth it when all of their strikers are back. Costa or Cesc is the big one though; I've been beating the anti Costa drum since I sold him in October. I'm leaning towards Cesc since I'm unlikely to captain either but Cesc is 1.5m cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Paully D wrote: »
    Any critique would be most welcomed. :)

Instead of the Swansea/Stoke rotation, how about the Villa/WBA one? Stoke are no longer a CS machine & Swansea are poor at the back recently and considering that Pulis is now in charge of WBA and Villa have been more about them when Benteke is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Genuinely think this might be a wildcard where only one premium priced defender (probably a Chelsea defender) is needed, freeing up the funds for the players that really bring in the points. Between Newcastle/Sunderland, Villa/WBA, and Swansea/Stoke rotations, you can fill those 7 spots reasonably comprehensively for approx 35 mill, leaving approx 70 million (for those among us with decent/good team value) to play with for those other 8 players (with one of them likely in the 4.2-4.6 range anyway, realistically it should either be Gibson or Boyd for different reasons)

65-66 million to form a front 7 is very good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

its defenders that are giving the most food for thought now. too many fecking options if i'm being honest :pac:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dempsey wrote: »
    Instead of the Swansea/Stoke rotation, how about the Villa/WBA one? Stoke are no longer a CS machine & Swansea are poor at the back recently and considering that Pulis is now in charge of WBA and Villa have been more about them when Benteke is involved.

Cheers mate, much appreciated feedback.

That's definitely something I am leaning towards now with Pulis in charge of the Baggies. It also helps that it's a cheaper rotation that than Swansea/Stoke one as I'll make a little cash on Taylor if I sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I'd be an advocate of playing the Jan wildcard late anyway, but surely this year the list of reasons (or questions) for holding it back is long and compelling enough to mean even to the most itchy trigger finger might hold back tomorrow!!

1. Obviously, Aguero due back mid to late Jan.
    2. But also Sturridge due back around the same time.
    3. A couple of key managerial changes will need to be monitored, especially rio round teams we are looking to for budget defenders. What kind of defence will Newcastle have? who will Pullis favour (or sign) for his back four? What kind of impact will Pardew have at Palace?
    4. Walcott, will he get back in the Arsenal team?
    5. How will Austin handle a run of tougher games?
    6. Will Mata have a role when Di Maria is fit?
    7. Who will Uniteds back 4 be if/when all are fit? Is Rafael gonna be nailed on?

I'm sure there are more, but these are a few off the top of my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Players going to ACON and Asian Cup.

PREMIER LEAGUE:

CRYSTAL PALACE: Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo+), Mile Jedinak (Australia).

EVERTON: Christian Atsu (Ghana*).

LEICESTER: Riyad Mahrez (Algeria), Jeff Schlupp (Ghana*).

LIVERPOOL: Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast+).

MANCHESTER CITY: Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast+) .

NEWCASTLE: Papiss Cisse (Senegal), Mehdi Abeid (Algeria), Cheick Tiote (Ivory Coast+).

SOUTHAMPTON: Sadio Mane (Senegal), Emmanuel Mayuka (Zambia), Maya Yoshida (Japan).

STOKE: Mame Biram Diouf (Senegal).

SWANSEA: Ki Sung-yueng (South Korea).

TOTTENHAM: Nabil Bentaleb (Algeria).

WEST BROM: Youssouf Mulumbu (DR Congo+).

WEST HAM: Diafra Sakho and Cheikhou Kouyate (both Senegal).

NONE GOING FROM: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Burnley, Chelsea, Hull, Man Utd, QPR, Sunderland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

zerks wrote: »
    Players going to ACON and Asian Cup.

PREMIER LEAGUE:

CRYSTAL PALACE: Yannick Bolasie (DR Congo+), Mile Jedinak (Australia).

EVERTON: Christian Atsu (Ghana*).

LEICESTER: Riyad Mahrez (Algeria), Jeff Schlupp (Ghana*).

LIVERPOOL: Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast+).

MANCHESTER CITY: Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast+) .

NEWCASTLE: Papiss Cisse (Senegal), Mehdi Abeid (Algeria), Cheick Tiote (Ivory Coast+).

SOUTHAMPTON: Sadio Mane (Senegal), Emmanuel Mayuka (Zambia), Maya Yoshida (Japan).

STOKE: Mame Biram Diouf (Senegal).

SWANSEA: Ki Sung-yueng (South Korea).

TOTTENHAM: Nabil Bentaleb (Algeria).

WEST BROM: Youssouf Mulumbu (DR Congo+).

WEST HAM: Diafra Sakho and Cheikhou Kouyate (both Senegal).

NONE GOING FROM: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Burnley, Chelsea, Hull, Man Utd, QPR, Sunderland

Is Wilfried Bony not going to the African Cup? And Diame from Hull or is he injured?

So, who's pushed the button already then :)

manual_man wrote: »
    So, who's pushed the button already then :)

Lunacy to do anything until late this evening when you've the full picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Paully D. I have Forster and will most likely be getting rid in the WC.

Strangely the Southampton defence is too good. He gets no save or bonus points so when they keep a clean sheet you actually lose ground to everyone else with Southampton defensive cover. When they concede (which admittedly is not very often) you're left with a 2 pointer.

I'm thinking a Heaton/Clyne combo would be better than a Forster/Duff one, for example.

CSF wrote: »
    Lunacy to do anything until late this evening when you've the full picture

it may suit some to play it straight away, tho yeah makes total sense to wait til the matches conclude at least, and even then there's FA Cup matches that could throw a spanner in the works b4 the next GW. have 2 F/T myself so think am ok to hold fire for now, tho a couple of injuries could change things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hang on,

Is Bony not going to the ACON?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I played it, I have till the next deadline to finalise

Opinions

Hart
    Foster

Terry
    Ivanovic
    Zabaletta
    Wisdom
    Hutton

Sterling
    Silva
    Fabregas
    Sanchez
    Sigourdsson

Austin
    Pelle
    Kane

it may suit some to play it straight away, tho yeah makes total sense to wait til the matches conclude at least, and even then there's FA Cup matches that could throw a spanner in the works b4 the next GW. have 2 F/T myself so think am ok to hold fire for now, tho a couple of injuries could change things

I honestly can't think of one good reason to play it before 10 tonight.

I honestly can't think of one good reason to play it before 10 tonight.

you're not everyone, though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For those playing the wildcard now, do you have a specific plan to get Aguero back in or are you just going to cross that bridge when the time comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

I played it, I have till the next deadline to finalise

Opinions

Hart
    Foster

Terry
    Ivanovic
    Zabaletta
    Wisdom
    Hutton

Sterling
    Silva
    Fabregas
    Sanchez
    Sigourdsson

Austin
    Pelle
    Kane

Too much at the back and too little up front - it'll take a lot of transfers to get the likes of Aguero back in when he's fit. And if you're going for Hart in goal you should only have a 4.0m gk on the bench.

you're not everyone, though

Ok then, well let's play the Devils advocate here, tell me a good strategic reason for playing it before all the games have played.

Ok then, well let's play the Devils advocate here, tell me a good strategic reason for playing it before all the games have played.

well, if your squad was in bad shape, non-players/injuries, players off to Asia Cup or ACON, factoring in imminent price changes, i can see scenarios where some have pushed the button already

• Advertisement

well, if your squad was in bad shape, non-players/injuries, players off to Asia Cup or ACON, factoring in imminent price changes, i can see scenarios where some have pushed the button already

How is that a reason to play it now instead of tonight when all the matches have been played and you have the full picture?

How is that a reason to play it now instead of tonight when all the matches have been played and you have the full picture?

lol. because nothing would be changing your mind in terms of playing it straight away, is that not obvious. i'm sure there's people out there that have all 3 of Jedinak/Bony/Yaya, that alone could be enough of a reason to have pushed the button already, add in a couple of injuries, factor in imminent price changes... and it could easily be a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

lol. because nothing would be changing your mind in terms of playing it straight away, is that not obvious. i'm sure there's people out there that have all 3 of Jedinak/Bony/Yaya, that alone could be enough of a reason to have pushed the button already, add in a couple of injuries, factor in imminent price changes... and it could easily be a no-brainer.

Or else cant handle over a week with no league action so say f**k it a million transfers this week to entertain myself!

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense at all here. Even if you had Bony/Jedinak/Toure in your team, what would be the benefit of playing it now instead of tonight after all the games have been played?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

I'm sorry but you're not making any sense at all here. Even if you had Bony/Jedinak/Toure in your team, what would be the benefit of playing it now instead of tonight after all the games have been played?

Yer both right lads now lets watch all the points flow in :)

Yer both right lads now lets watch all the points flow in :)

What? How is he right? He's not making any valid points. I'm still waiting for one possible benefit, other than a list of reasons of why people might do it even though it wouldn't be to their benefit

look, there's seriously no debating with you. if you can't understand my points, or simply refuse to acknowledge that what might be good for me/you might not be good for someone else, then so be it. i give you a clear answer, and then you simply reply with the same question. lol. i'm all for constructive debate, but this is not it. good day

look, there's seriously no debating with you. if you can't understand my points, or simply refuse to acknowledge that what might be good for me/you might not be good for someone else, then so be it. i give you a clear answer, and then you simply reply with the same question. lol. i'm all for constructive debate, but this is not it. good day

No seriously, I'm not even being aggressive here, I just genuinely need to know what the benefit is. You haven't made a point other than 'they might have players going to the African Nations', but how is that a reason to play it before all the games have been played?

No seriously, I'm not even being aggressive here, I just genuinely need to know what the benefit is. You haven't made a point other than 'they might have players going to the African Nations', but how is that a reason to play it before all the games have been played?

You're just being plain insulting now

Good day

• Advertisement

You're just being plain insulting now

Good day

I'm not, I'm genuinely asking, that's how debates work, I make points, you make counterpoints.

I don't understand why you're making out like this is a personal thing.

Advertisement