Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Wildcard

Options
  • 29-12-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thought it might be handy to have a separate thread again to discuss when people will be using it and what players are on your watchlist.

The January Wildcard can only be used after Gameweek 20 starts (1 Jan 11:30) until Gameweek 23 ends (7 Feb 11:30); as the January wildcard isn't available until after the Gameweek 20 deadline, the earliest these transfers will be active is Gameweek 21. (to keep CSF happy ;))

I had intended to leave it as late as possible but now considering using my GW20 transfer for a one week punt and then activating the wildcard as soon as it's available. Will be keeping a core set of players: Zab, Terry, Sanchez, Hazard, Silva and Austin. Players on my wishlist are Hutton, Boyd and possibly Kane. Also need to decide whether I will be continuing with 3-4-3 or making the switch to 3-5-2.

So when will you be using yours, what players are you keeping and which ones are on your watchlist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Am I right in thinking this is the first season where the wildcard has been available that late into February?

Looking at my squad:

Hart
    Terry Naylor Hutton Wisdom Dummett
    Yaya Eriksen Hazard Sanchez Marney
    Austin Costa Bony

I'm in no rush to make any major changes. Yaya and Bony have to go in the next two GWs, Yaya for Silva and I'll see who for Bony.

Other than that, there are no immediate concerns I have. I'll be going for a cheaper keeper than Hart, who has been an unmitigated disaster, and will try to sneak Zab in if I can.

Players I have me eye on are:

Pantimillon
    Phil Jones
    Sterling
    Jovetic until Kun is back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So when will you be using yours, what players are you keeping and which ones are on your watchlist?

My plan is to wait until Aguero is ready to go and use it to assist in bringing him back in.

I'll be going with Aguero, Costa and most likely Austin up front. Hazard, Sanchez, Silva, Sigurdsson (Sterling is under consideration) and Boyd as my 5 midfielders. Terry, Neil Taylor, a mid-priced defender around the £5.0m-£5.5m mark (Manchester United options under serious consideration), and a couple of cheapies to round off my defence. Pantilimon's fixtures really pick up again for a couple of months around about the time I plan on using it so he'll be my goalkeeper.

All going well I'll have:
    Pantilimon

Terry + £5.0m-£5.5m DEF - then 1 from Neil Taylor/Cheapie/Cheapie

Hazard Sanchez Silva Sigurdsson

Aguero Costa Austin

Dramatic changes are tempting and often necessary with a wildcard, but it would actually only cost me a -12 point hit to get this team at the minute which I think is a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭evancmurphy00

Currently have this:

Fabianski
    Skrtel Terry Bertrand
    Eriksen Downing Hazard Fabregas
    Jovetic Austin (C) Kane

Szczesney Clyne Chadli Ward

Probably going to get rid of both Bertrand and Clyne and replace them with O' Shea and Hutton. Then going to swap Szczesney with Pantilimon. Then thinking of getting rid of Chadli and Downing and bringing in Sanchez and Isgrove (won't play, just really cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Probably looking to keep it a few weeks, there's not many game weeks in Jan anyway (10th, 17th, 31st Jan). Want to see what returning players (Aguero, Walcott, Sturridge) can be fitted in.

Rearranging the bench fodder also, cheap defenders. Hopefully there'll be a nice 9m keeper combo that rotates well for the second half of the season (think it was Foster/Mannone last season)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

WBA have approached Pulis. 3 WBA defenders in the wildcard now:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

WBA have approached Pulis. 3 WBA defenders in the wildcard now:pac:

Hang on yet it looks like it could still be Sherwood! Imagine three Sherwood defenders. Shudders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I feel like I could do a -4 next GW (Yaya, Benteke, Bony out for Cesc, Kane, RvP) and be happy with my front 8, but my defence would not be what I want. I'll have to think about it since I would need to save my FT this week and not go for the one week punt as I planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jimmii wrote: »
    Hang on yet it looks like it could still be Sherwood! Imagine three Sherwood defenders. Shudders.

3 WBA attackers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Obvious shortcomings but that front 3 has serious potential.

rcvxb5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I aim to to do it mid-Jan. My list so far says...

Panti/Krul
    3 cheapies (incl. Duff if he gets back, Yun if fit), one mid, one premium (?Zab)
    Sanchez, Hazard, Boyd, 2 others
    Aguero, Austin, Costa (Costa's spot may go to Sturridge or another)

So as you can see, still under construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This managerial merry go round is another reason to hold onto the wildcard until we see how these teams shape up. Current first choice players may not be for too much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Plus theres always a few new signings in January. Even if you're not interested in signing them, they can directly/indirectly cause your players to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Does anyone have goalkeeper/defence rotation pairings from January onwards?

Is there any info out there regarding who has better home matches for the second half of the season? I read somewhere here that QPR remaining home matches are nearly all against current top 10 teams.

Does anyone have goalkeeper/defence rotation pairings from January onwards?

Is there any info out there regarding who has better home matches for the second half of the season? I read somewhere here that QPR remaining home matches are nearly all against current top 10 teams.

Che qpr
    Ars spurs
    Utd city
    New sun
    Liv eve
    Villa wba
    Bur hull
    Sou Leicester
    Pal wham
    Sto swa

Currently I have 2 cheap inform strikers (Kane/Austin) who allow me to stockpile big hitters around the rest of the team. Their form will run out eventually and it's then that I could do with a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Che qpr
    Ars spurs
    Utd city
    New sun
    Liv eve
    Villa wba
    Bur hull
    Sou Leicester
    Pal wham
    Sto swa

Villa/WBA could be interesting especially if Pull is gets the WBA job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,046 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Slowly gravitating towards not playing it immediately. This would be a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

CSF wrote: »

I'm leaning this way too, although I'm going to take a beating on team value if I wildcard at the end. It would allow me to monitor Siggy more, I have Heaton in goal who has nice fixtures in Jan and then terrible after, and I could use it to rearrange my team if Costa and/or Studge fire.

CSF wrote: »

2 week break between GW22 and GW23 looks ideal time, with Aguero due back around then and new appointments like possibly Pulis settling in.

I'm looking at leaving it late also, Man City have a horrible Jan, Man Utd a lovely Jan, so looking at keeping RVP/ADM and then swapping them around with Aguero/Silva towards the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

9f85c2377dc368503da1e6f2bb819c6b.png

This is an early draft I came up with. The 0.4 left over would allow some wiggle room for price changes. I could downgrade De Gea and Gilks to a rotating keeper combo of say Panti and Green and upgrade the defence. Terry and Hutton are certs for the premium def and cheap def spots respectively. Haz, Sanchez and Fab are nailed on as my big hitters and Boyd is the ideal cheapie mid. Apart from Kun the two other forwards and the last remaining midfield spot are up in the air atm.

There are some questions I have to ask myself. Go with Downing, Siggy, Mirallas or Hendo for the mid range option or splash out on ADM when he's back fit? ADM would make for a dream midfield 4 or a mid range would give more balance. What do I do with Kun? Is he a must-have or are there other viable alternatives?

There's just so many flippin' options that we're spoilt for choice!

I don't think it would be crazy to go with 3 cheap forwards from the likes of Austin, Ings, Kane, Carroll, Ayoze etc. This would mean going without Aguero and opting for a 3-5-2 which is intriguing. Imagine a midfield of Hazard, Sanchez, Fabregas, Silva and Di Maria!

jebforever wrote: »

There are some questions I have to ask myself. Go with Downing, Siggy, Mirallas or Hendo for the mid range option or splash out on ADM when he's back fit? ADM would make for a dream midfield 4 or a mid range would give more balance. What do I do with Kun? Is he a must-have or are there other viable alternatives?

I don't think it would be crazy to go with 3 cheap forwards from the likes of Austin, Ings, Kane, Carroll, Ayoze etc. This would mean going without Aguero and opting for a 3-5-2 which is intriguing. Imagine a midfield of Hazard, Sanchez, Fabregas, Silva and Di Maria!

Certainly food for thought there! But I think going without a fit Aguero for the remainder of the season is at best gambling and at worst....... (no bad langauage allowed!).
    Have to love the wildcard possibilities though!

I think i'll be going Aguero 2 cheapish strikers and 4 premium mids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Currently thinking Aguero, Pelle and a cheapie! Things can change, but that makes sense to me as a good setup to have for the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

jebforever wrote: »
    9f85c2377dc368503da1e6f2bb819c6b.png

This is an early draft I came up with. The 0.4 left over would allow some wiggle room for price changes. I could downgrade De Gea and Gilks to a rotating keeper combo of say Panti and Green and upgrade the defence. Terry and Hutton are certs for the premium def and cheap def spots respectively. Haz, Sanchez and Fab are nailed on as my big hitters and Boyd is the ideal cheapie mid. Apart from Kun the two other forwards and the last remaining midfield spot are up in the air atm.

Let's pretend you didn't mention going without Kun and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Yes sorry folks, what was I thinking? :o Going without Aguero when he's fit and in form wouldn't be recommended and especially not when I'm at 2k and his ownership percentage likely to be over 90% in the top 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I also did my draft WC team. Plan to play it maybe mid-Jan.

So my thoughts with this team are:

1. Team would look drastically different without Augero but he's a must. If he isn't fit soon, can also throw in someone else like Austin.

2. Would love a premium defender but have opted for a "premium" 4th choice midfielder instead. Sterling playing as a striker is too tempting for me and I think his points will come.

3. Defence isn't the best but I have plenty of variety for rotation. Davies and Taylor should be fairly solid at the back.

4. I know Krul and Duff are currently injured but Krul will regain his place soon and Duff is a 5th choice defender who will hopefully regain his place.

5. 0.2m in the bank so I could use this on a GK/Defender. (Just after thinking McNair in for Cameron...hmmm...)

Thoughts and advice is VERY much appreciated :)

2cs6q78.png

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

The League cup final is on the 1st of March from what I can see, If Chelsea beat Liverpool then its Leicester V Chelsea that will be off and Spurs should win the other leading to QPR v Spurs being off that weekend as well in GW 27 . I will try and play my wildcard late with that in mind so I wont be in too much trouble that weekend . There are enough game weeks between to plan around it but no harm being able to make tactical transfers rather than forced ones.

Saying all that, my wild card will probably be used on the 2nd of jan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here's my messing around, draft attempt:

745e635d3305d986b7c6ff7139aa8a24.png

The front 3 and midfield 5 don't need any explanation really. If Austin starts to slacken off with his home fixtures getting more difficult, I would consider someone else but other than that I'm happy with that midfield and strike force. I don't really want 5 top options in midfield as you're likely to be faced with a tough decision every week and thus leave points on the bench. With 3-4-3 it's as handy to have Boyd who we all now by now can and will contribute, often when we need it most.

Terry in defence to play every week. Sunderland and Newcastle obviously rotate every week and offer some very, very tasty home fixtures. In fact far more than I actually thought initially. This would of course depend on who the new Newcastle manager fancies in his back four and how van Aanholt comes back from his serious shoulder injury, but the plan would be to have Sunderland and Newcastle defensive coverage to rotate in any case. I was a big fan of the Swansea/Stoke rotation at the start of the season (even though Stoke ended up giving me virtually nothing :pac:) and would be quite happy to go with that again to give me Terry + 2 home defenders every week at the back.

With the above I had £5.5m left for a goalkeeper. An extra £0.2m would have allowed me to get De Gea in which would have been perfect, but even though I'm not a big fan of Foster, Southampton kept plenty of clean sheets in their early run and the fixtures turn that way again from the start of February.

So, overall there's definitely a few things that need to become more clear cut but which should happen between now and late January when I plan on using the wildcard, but I'm pretty happy to have something like the above in mind. There's ways around the doubts too, e.g. downgrading Foster would allow to me to go for guaranteed defensive options from some of the aforementioned teams. As always, I'll probably have something completely different next week. :pac:

Any critique would be most welcomed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I think i'll be going Aguero 2 cheapish strikers and 4 premium mids.
    Will try go 2 premium strikers + 4 premium mids + 1 premium def.
    Though it depends what premium really mean? Is Siggy (4th best midfielder half-way through the season) premium?

At the moment I'm looking at something close to this "ideal" setup.
    f1wpx5.jpg

Can Mata be a regular? Maybe Siggy is a season keeper (though since I already sold him and bought back I've no money tied on him so he's easy to move out/in)? Maybe Krelliott will be again my GK combo. Or Guzan/Gilks. I feel I may need a Saints back cover at some point. Forster maybe the cheapest way into their defence now. Keeping Silva long-term? Double up on Hazard/Fab and go cheaper upfront (Kane & Austin form are tempting).

Many many questions. I see 3 main ones though:
    1. Costa or Fab?
    2. United cover ... or not?
    3. Saints defence ... or not?

Advertisement