Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Wildcard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm going out tonight so if I'm playing it I'm playing it in the next 2hrs, which I probably will

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

CSF wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're not making any sense at all here. Even if you had Bony/Jedinak/Toure in your team, what would be the benefit of playing it now instead of tonight after all the games have been played?

By the same token, if you're planning on playing it this evening what possible benefit is there in waiting? What could possibly happen in the meantime that would change their mind? ACON called off? Players becoming un-injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,084 ✭✭✭✭CSF

By the same token, if you're planning on playing it this evening what possible benefit is there in waiting? What could possibly happen in the meantime that would change their mind? ACON called off? Players becoming un-injured?

To play a wildcard you've to make transfers, take players out of your team. Most players in good teams have accumulated a .1 or 2 over the course of the season.

To play a wildcard you've to make transfers, take players out of your team. Most players in good teams have accumulated a .1 or 2 over the course of the season.

That's not an argument against using the wildcard though, that's an argument against transferring out players who you have value tied up in, which is an entirely separate argument which actually makes sense.

That's not an argument against using the wildcard though, that's an argument against transferring out players who you have value tied up in, which is an entirely separate argument which actually makes sense.

Most players have value tied up in them at this stage of the year. Certainly the African Nations players that people have would.

That aside, you're being offered an extra 10 Premier League games to decide on playing the wildcard and refusing it. All decisions should be made with the full picture, it's why we avoid transfers until the last possible minute, even though we know we are going to make them.

Those guys who transfer in on the first week of the game week, a lot of the time they get away with no impact. That doesn't make the decision any less poor. Different circumstances for sure, but the theme is the same. The good FPL players (and Lord knows Im not necessarily one) will make all decisions with every possible titbit of information available to them.

• Advertisement

Most players have value tied up in them at this stage of the year. Certainly the African Nations players that people have would.

That aside, you're being offered an extra 10 Premier League games to decide on playing the wildcard and refusing it. All decisions should be made with the full picture, it's why we avoid transfers until the last possible minute, even though we know we are going to make them.

Those guys who transfer in on the first week of the game week, a lot of the time they get away with no impact. That doesn't make the decision any less poor. Different circumstances for sure, but the theme is the same. The good FPL players (and Lord knows Im not necessarily one) will make all decisions with every possible titbit of information available to them.

I agree that using all available information is important, but I don't agree that this means activating your wildcard now is always, or even mostly, a bad thing to do.

I have Bony, no value tied up in him, makes no difference if I axe him now, this evening or next week. If his replacement gets injured that's no problem, I can change it up again. I will still have all available information while the wildcard is active.

I agree that using all available information is important, but I don't agree that this means activating your wildcard now is always, or even mostly, a bad thing to do.

I have Bony, no value tied up in him, makes no difference if I axe him now, this evening or next week. If his replacement gets injured that's no problem, I can change it up again. I will still have all available information while the wildcard is active.

You're looking at it as a Bony situation, rather than a wildcard situation. If you scored 100 points today (or even very highly) you may no longer want to wildcard, you may consider it and decide you still do, but you should be giving yourself that decision to make, not putting yourself in a situation where you've no choice.

10 games in FPL is such a long time. The point is that if you're right in the decision that you were going to wildcard, you gain nothing, if you were wrong you lose out big time.

You're looking at it as a Bony situation, rather than a wildcard situation. If you scored 100 points today (or even very highly) you may no longer want to wildcard, you may consider it and decide you still do, but you should be giving yourself that decision to make, not putting yourself in a situation where you've no choice.

10 games in FPL is such a long time. The point is that if you're right in the decision that you were going to wildcard, you gain nothing, if you were wrong you lose out big time.

Fair enough, I'd agree with that last bit. But if you're absolutely, positively going to use the wildcard anyway (for example, if you have a few of Bony, Yaya, Jedinak, Yun, Moore, Wilson, Duff etc) then there's no loss.

Fair enough, I'd agree with that last bit. But if you're absolutely, positively going to use the wildcard anyway (for example, if you have a few of Bony, Yaya, Jedinak, Yun, Moore, Wilson, Duff etc) then there's no loss.

Ok agreed on that part, but in the interest of balance, even in those extreme circumstances you've mentioned, there's no benefit either.

Ok agreed on that part, but in the interest of balance, even in those extreme circumstances you've mentioned, there's no benefit either.

No benefit, no loss, everyone's a winner!

• Advertisement

No benefit, no loss, everyone's a winner!

Exactly, and that's in the most extreme case. In more realistic cases its putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage, similar to making your transfers on the first day of the gameweek, it's just a pointless risk that nobody needs to take. Nobody benefits from doing it, some will suffer, others will get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Wildcard activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

spock. wrote: »
    Wildcard activated.

Tempted to do the same, fcuk this expensive defence craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Front line

Kane Costa Falcao. With cash for Aguero kept.

Midfield

Sanchez Hazard Silva Boyd Sterling

Defence

Terry Wisdom Cissoko Wassa (Leicester) O Shea

Goalkeeper

De gea + 4.0

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pushed the button myself:

De Gea Murphy
    Fonte Hutton Wisdom O Shea Chester
    Cesc Sterling Walcott Sigurdson Erikson
    Costa Aguero Kane

Those front 3 are no brainers for me. Would like to have Sanchez in for Walcott, but don't want to downgrade any others so I'll take the risk. Walcott is a FF demon when he's playing, so I'm hoping he will be a differential for me.

Playing around at the moment. Biggest decision is Fab+Falcao or Sterling+Costa. Spare money for Aguero then.

aWriw1f.jpg

Playing around at the moment. Biggest decision is Fab+Falcao or Sterling+Costa. Spare money for Aguero then.

aWriw1f.jpg

Any thoughts on this? Think I might activate though I'll probably regret it tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Now a good time to play it to cash in on 10 day break?

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Now a good time to play it to cash in on 10 day break?
    If you're doing it this week, defo, lap up all the price rises and avoid the price drops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Why won't it let me use the Jan wildcard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Why won't it let me use the Jan wildcard?

Make 2 transfers and it will light up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

De Gea or Lloris as the keeper?

dahat wrote: »
    De Gea or Lloris as the keeper?

I've activated now and got De Gea in as he might rise tonight...not sure if I'll keep him though.

dahat wrote: »
    Front line

Kane Costa Falcao. With cash for Aguero kept.

Midfield

Sanchez Hazard Silva Boyd Sterling

Defence

Terry Wisdom Cissoko Wassa (Leicester) O Shea

Goalkeeper

De gea + 4.0

Opinions?

I really like it. Too much perhaps, as now I'm thinking about my shiny new wildcard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

First draft:

Panti Heaton
    Terry Alderwiereld Wisdom Hutton Wasilewski
    Sanchez ADM Hazard Sterling Boyd
    Jovetic Costa Kane

Have enough to upgrade Jovetic to Aguero.What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,184 ✭✭✭✭km79

got drunk
    activated :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think I'll wildcard, but not tonight. The only riser I'm interested in who I don't have is Hutton and he has very tough games in the next 4.

Fun fact: Kane is getting more NTI than the next million players combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think I'll wildcard, but not tonight. The only riser I'm interested in who I don't have is Hutton and he has very tough games in the next 4.

Fun fact: Kane is getting more NTI than the next million players combined.

1 Million you say!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Hmmm, did another draft and I'm very happy with it. Thing is, I'm left with 0.0m in the bank (team includes Augero dont worry). 2 Questions:

1. If I activate wildcard now, can I still make changes until 10th of January, yeah?

2. Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over with price changes?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Hmmm, did another draft and I'm very happy with it. Thing is, I'm left with 0.0m in the bank (team includes Augero dont worry). 2 Questions:

1. If I activate wildcard now, can I still make changes until 10th of January, yeah?

2. Should I activate it now to ensure I don't get f*cked over?

Cheers.

Activate it at the end and the points hits won't apply

Advertisement