Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Wildcard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Would it make much difference though? Just means they'll have a double gameweek at some stage?

Due to people being able to make transfers it can make a big difference. You could have only 8 players the gw of the carling cup final I could have 11 by the time the dgw comes around I could transfer in the same dgw players as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Due to people being able to make transfers it can make a big difference. You could have only 8 players the gw of the carling cup final I could have 11 by the time the dgw comes around I could transfer in the same dgw players as you.

Ah yes, very good point. It could get tricky with Spurs/Liverpool players alright. Majority of people would have 2+ Chelsea players till the end of season anyway so hopefully shouldn't impact too much. (That's me being optimistic I suppose and not wanting this to effect me :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This has probably been discussed somewhere here before but I was wondering how many people go with their cheap midfielder as their first sub and how many go with one of their cheap defenders? My main first subs this season have been Wisdom/Dummett but they have returned 0/1 on a few occasions. On the other hand if I'd have had Boyd from day one and had him first sub every time, I would be much better off points wise. So I think I will be taking that approach for the rest of the season. At least with the midfielder you should get the minimum 2 points plus there's always a greater chance of a goal/assist whereas with the defenders, if they're on your bench it's because they'll likely not get that clean sheet anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This has probably been discussed somewhere here before but I was wondering how many people go with their cheap midfielder as their first sub and how many go with one of their cheap defenders? My main first subs this season have been Wisdom/Dummett but they have returned 0/1 on a few occasions. On the other hand if I'd have had Boyd from day one and had him first sub every time, I would be much better off points wise. So I think I will be taking that approach for the rest of the season. At least with the midfielder you should get the minimum 2 points plus there's always a greater chance of a goal/assist whereas with the defenders, if they're on your bench it's because they'll likely not get that clean sheet anyway.

You're going to do this with your wildcard? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Decided to re adjust my defence slightly.

Gone with Foster and Bertrand instead of De Gea and Wisdom,. I'd like Utd defence cover but unsure how I can get it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

F1ngers wrote: »
    You're going to do this with your wildcard? :p

Oops thought I was in the general chat thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Having sold Boyd before the festive period, I don't really fancy getting him back in on a late WC at 4.7m (most likely). Tiote should fall to 4.2m and Albrighton is already there. I can't expect more than 2-3 pointers but that's all I need from bench fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

My strategy is....
    4 defenders who I'm likely to play - 3 plus 1 sub each week (hopefully 5th Defender would be a starter somewhere but not too bothered. Had Liam Moore on the bench all season and hasn't come on once)

One cheap midfielder who comes in only when someone is dropped/injured. Probably SGB. Unlikely every to start him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Current draft is looking like the below, but waiting for another few weeks yet, just would love to fit in the 6 big hitters that I want:
    Foster - Krul

Debuchy - Alderweireld - Hutton - PVA - Wasilewski

Hazard - Silva - Sanchez - Di Maria - Boyd

Aguero - Costa - Kane

Too much sacrifice at the back? I just think that the majority of points will come from my big 4 mids and 2 forwards and recent expensive defenders have not been kind to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I'm pretty settled on this squad:

Heaton Panti
    Terry Alderweireld P.Jones Dummett Wisdom
    Hazard Sanchez Fabregas ADM Boyd
    Jovetic Ings Kane

7.3m ITB so can afford Jovetic-->Aguero and Ings-->Pelle/Giroud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Oh my. Can do this.

Pants/4mil
    Jones/PVA/hutton/wisdom/wasiloski
    ADM/fab/haz/walcott/Sanchez
    Aguero/Kane/Perez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

8-10 wrote: »
    Current draft is looking like the below, but waiting for another few weeks yet, just would love to fit in the 6 big hitters that I want:
    Foster - Krul

Debuchy - Alderweireld - Hutton - PVA - Wasilewski

Hazard - Silva - Sanchez - Di Maria - Boyd

Aguero - Costa - Kane
    Too much sacrifice at the back? I just think that the majority of points will come from my big 4 mids and 2 forwards and recent expensive defenders have not been kind to me.
    What's your plan with the keepers? Rotate? Beware though that WB got 4 of their 6 CS away...

See no pb with your defence. Can you afford Terry (e.g. for Debuchy)? Hutton/PvA rotate well and Saints are still the most consistent team defensively speaking. Are Bertrand/Clyne out of your budget? They both got attacking returns and proved to be BP magnets.

Remains to be seen how much Silva will be worth it once Aguero & Yaya are back but for now he's in great form so no need to outsmart everything.
    spock. wrote: »
    I'm pretty settled on this squad:

Heaton Panti
    Terry Alderweireld P.Jones Dummett Wisdom
    Hazard Sanchez Fabregas ADM Boyd
    Jovetic Ings Kane

7.3m ITB so can afford Jovetic-->Aguero and Ings-->Pelle/Giroud
    Strong team. Just Boyd & Ings may be Burnley overkill for the moment...?

Would you have Jones long term or just for United great run of fixtures?
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Oh my. Can do this.

Pants/4mil
    Jones/PVA/hutton/wisdom/wasiloski
    ADM/fab/haz/walcott/Sanchez
    Aguero/Kane/Perez

Perez being your bench fodder?

Having 4 mids from 2 teams may be sweaty but on a closer look Fab/Haz could well be better than Fab/Costa or Haz/Costa. Then there's a huge question mark about Walcott after almost a year away from the field. I would not rush him in. Sterling could take that spot if he benefits (as expected (?)) from Sturridge's return.

Same question than above regarding Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

iroced wrote:
    Strong team. Just Boyd & Ings may be Burnley overkill for the moment...?

iroced wrote:
    Would you have Jones long term or just for United great run of fixtures?

I'm not too bothered about Boyd, as long as he keeps his place. I'm not sure about Ings though, bringing him in for Burnley's easy fixtures, but definitely won't keep him long term.

Nah I'll be getting rid of Jones when Utd's fixtures get tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A Walcott-Sanchez pairing would be a very interesting one indeed. From watching the FA Cup today the only issue was rustiness on Walcott's part, his finishing was lacking, but both his speed and positioning were great.

Him and Sanchez could link up lethally, in which case you could see both players interchanging in terms of assisting and scoring. Then consider the prospect of a fit Ozil and the points returns are mouth watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

seems to be somewhat of an assumption that Walcott will be a guaranteed starter - i don't buy it personally. if we consider Sanchez undroppable, then it's pick 3 from Giroud/Welbeck/Walcott/Cazorla/Ozil/Ox. Cazorla has been on great form. Walcott did ok today, a bit rusty but entirely to be expected. The run out should benefit him. But i still have major doubts if he will be a good fpl investment for the remainder of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

manual_man wrote: »
    seems to be somewhat of an assumption that Walcott will be a guaranteed starter - i don't buy it personally. if we consider Sanchez undroppable, then it's pick 3 from Giroud/Welbeck/Walcott/Cazorla/Ozil/Ox. Cazorla has been on great form. Walcott did ok today, a bit rusty but entirely to be expected. The run out should benefit him. But i still have major doubts if he will be a good fpl investment for the remainder of the season
    I agree, too many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

sanchez at 11.4 I just don't know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

ADM is no value unless he is playing CM. On the wing he is not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

km79 wrote: »

sanchez at 11.4 I just don't know

yes I think it is. Id get adm and sanchez and a cheapie instead of falcao. 2 utd attackers based on the season to date is overkill.

yes I think it is. Id get adm and sanchez and a cheapie instead of falcao. 2 utd attackers based on the season to date is overkill.

would you pay 11.4 for Sanchez ? I had convinced myself no as I'm very late to the party and he looked tired over Xmas ......but another goal assist today

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

would you pay 11.4 for Sanchez ? I had convinced myself no as I'm very late to the party and he looked tired over Xmas ......but another goal assist today

He's going to end up one of the top scorers in the game so yes.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    He's going to end up one of the top scorers in the game so yes.

I guess my question is this......for 2 million extra over all the alternatives will he put score them by enough to justify having him and a weaker forward over say a 9ml mid and decent striker!
    if only walcott was fitter.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

dahat wrote: »
    Super article on defence options for the WC

http://allthingsfpl.com/?p=14750

Only getting round to reading this now.

Wow.

And a great website I didn't use before. Many thanks dahat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ITWT

FHFC wrote: »
    Only getting round to reading this now.

Wow.

And a great website I didn't use before. Many thanks dahat!

Just popping on to say thanks for all your kind words about our article and site. Much appreciated :D

ITWT wrote: »
    Just popping on to say thanks for all your kind words about our article and site. Much appreciated :D

Many thanks again for the article. Cracking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I guess my question is this......for 2 million extra over all the alternatives will he put score them by enough to justify having him and a weaker forward over say a 9ml mid and decent striker!
    if only walcott was fitter.........
    Bar Aguero no forward seems a must have. Diego Costa can be replaced with Fab or Haz to double them up in midfield (and save about £2m which would make up for Sanchez extra £2m). Sanchez has the best pts per game ratio despite his missed pen and playing 2 half (or less) games. He's a safe option right now. Maybe in a couple of GWs Walcott will prove better value for money but currently he only rustily played a Cup game.

Your question is legitimate though. Maybe if you post your proposed team without Sanchez and with Sanchez we could give you a better answer ;).

Opinions on this...

Screenshot attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ITWT

iroced wrote: »
    Bar Aguero no forward seems a must have. Diego Costa can be replaced with Fab or Haz to double them up in midfield (and save about £2m which would make up for Sanchez extra £2m). Sanchez has the best pts per game ratio despite his missed pen and playing 2 half (or less) games. He's a safe option right now. Maybe in a couple of GWs Walcott will prove better value for money but currently he only rustily played a Cup game.

Your question is legitimate though. Maybe if you post your proposed team without Sanchez and with Sanchez we could give you a better answer ;).

Not interested in a fit Sturridge in a Liverpool side whose creativity is off the charts since switching to a 3-4-3 hybrid thingy ;) 5 Gameweeks

Most Goal Attempts - 95
    Most Shots on Target - 39
    Most Key Passes - 77

Sturridge was averaging 4.33 goal attempts before England duty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

That's a very nice team - can't see anything I'd change there. Only comment is it might be worth having a plan in place to bring Aguero in in a couple of weeks. I presume you would just downgrade one of your midfielders, but it's a big jump in price from Ings/Kane up to Aguero, so might be worth thinking about before the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

ITWT wrote: »

Just registered with you and will be reading every week.

Advertisement