Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

John Fox has to be feeling a little toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

John Fox has to be feeling a little toasty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/11/john-fox-could-be-fired-if-broncos-lose-to-colts-report-says/
    Broncos Coach John Fox might be available if the Broncos lose to the Colts, Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,817 ✭✭✭nerd69

phatkev wrote: »
    so apparently Greg Roman is going to be Rex's OC in Buffalo! LOLZ

seriously????? this sounds like a piss take :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Very interesting move. But didn't Kubiak say he wasn't interested in any of the HC roles? Or was he waiting for the Bears to call? :pac:

Kubiak is waiting for the Broncos to decide about Fox. If Fox goes then expect Kubiak to be Elway's first call.

Rumours floating around that the Broncos might trade Fox to the Falcons for a draft pick - and then hire Kubiak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Why do we want Kubiak so badly? There's a serious hard on amongst the entire Broncos fanbase for him and he's not even that good, he got ran out of houston and only once had them looking even above average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Falcons replacing a coach who sucked in the play-offs with a coach who sucks in the play-offs is pretty comical. Broncos doing the exact same is even more hilarious! :pac: Re-hiring Josh McDaniels would be only thing to top that.

spiralism wrote: »
    Why do we want Kubiak so badly? There's a serious hard on amongst the entire Broncos fanbase for him and he's not even that good, he got ran out of houston and only once had them looking even above average.
    Kubiak is one of only three potential HCs with significant experience - he is also the best of what is available. He took a poor and disorganised new franchise and built them (over a number of years) into a consistent and solid play-off team. His last season in Heuston was marked by 'one of those years' that can happen in any coach's career.

The primary reason why is being touted as a replacement for Fox (if Fox leaves) is because of his relationship with Elway. During Elway's career Kubiak was much more than a back-up QB and was effectively Elway's QB coach and sideline co-ordinator. Much of Elway's success in Denver as QB was down to Kubiak's ability to analyse what the defence was doing and advise Elway on adjustments.

Many Denver fans would also like to see Kubiak back in order to bring back the zone blocking scheme that was so successful in Denver. Kubiak, like Elway, understand the need for a solid and effective running game for a team to be elite.

I think it would be a good move - if Manning were to retire. I also think the idea of Fox going to Atlanta would be a very good move for both the coach and the Falcons.

Fox is a good coach for stability and building a team from the ground up, but he'll never win a super bowl. He just gets outcoached badly and adjusts terribly against elite opposition. In all fairness, these Broncos teams the past three seasons have been absolutely stacked and what have we got from it?

I'm gonna quote a post on reddit that sums it up brilliantly re: Fox
    ....I think it's safe to say the difference between top teams and us is coaching, and by coaching I mean preparation, like we have said a lot in the past months, more than playcalling (even though it's bad too).
    I once read an article, related to the play of the Saints after the bounty scandal and Payton's suspension, that said that the NFL isn't a QB-league, it's a coaching league, and I completely agree.
    This game (along with the last SB) and this team are great examples of the role of preparation in the NFL, and the fact that it's not just a matter of putting the most talented players on the field.
    You have to prepare and adapt to the opponent, always trying to stay one step ahead. Since last year's great regular season, helped by a weak schedule, this staff has only made this team stay one step behind.
    Preparation is everything. You only have a week to prepare the plays you think will work. You need to have a good gameplan. Then you can adapt some things, but the main plan has to put players in a position where they can play to their strenghts.
    Fox and Gase don't do that. Del Rio is less bad, but it's hard to notice that we may allow 5 points less a game if we score 15 less (not real stats, made up to get my point across).
    What does Pagano have for Luck ? Hilton and nothing else, yet the passing game thrives. He had to shuffle his OL, yet they were efficient. Us ? We have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL, yet we make them do the same things over and over again, and we have no answer for simple press coverage. After getting bullied in the SB, we shuffle our OL, several times, and the result is worse each time.
    If we compare top teams, is there a big difference in roster talent ? You can argue about that player or that one, but overall, no way. But compare Fox to Bellichick, Carroll, Harbaugh ? That's the difference.
    We could and can sure consider ourselves lucky to be as good as we are, even if we didn't win the SB. We are thankful for everyone's effort. But with talent comes expectations, and with this talent, we expect more. Now we have enough evidence in enough situations to evaluate where the problem comes from, where the difference lies between us and teams that make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

So Rex is officially the new Bills head coach, cant see how him and Schwartz are going to coexist on the same team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Should be fun, pity they won't be on hard knocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

phatkev wrote: »
    So Rex is officially the new Bills head coach, cant see how him and Schwartz are going to coexist on the same team

Yeah same here. Schwartz effectively gets demoted to Assistant Defensive Coordinator.

Hazys wrote: »
    Yeah same here. Schwartz effectively gets demoted to Assistant Defensive Coordinator.

Job may well become available at Denver though, don't rule it out. Del Rio is favourite for the Oakland gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Can't see Schwartz sticking around in Buffalo now. Something else will most likely make him leave there.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

If Fox goes it'll be Gase replacing him. If Kubiak were in any way interested he wouldn't have had that press release- it'd make no sense.

And yeah totally agree with the above. Rex and Schwartz won't wash. I'd take Schwartz in a second too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

SameOleJay wrote: »
    I'd take Schwartz in a second too.

What, to the Bears? You must be cracked, he's a liability.

And a tool. But mainly a liability.

If Fox goes it'll be Gase replacing him. If Kubiak were in any way interested he wouldn't have had that press release- it'd make no sense.

Two things I will guarantee -

1. Gase will not become the Broncos HC if Fox leaves - no way Elway hires a rookie HC - if anyone on the Broncos staff is promoted it would be Del Rio.

2. If Elway wants Kubiak then Kubiak becomes Broncos HC - Kubiak has always claimed that there are only two teams he ever wanted to HC - Houston and Denver. The press release will be irrelevant if Elway phones (and I suspect was actually a signal to the Broncos that Denver is the only place he would go).

What, to the Bears? You must be cracked, he's a liability.

And a tool. But mainly a liability.

I'd take him. He's one of the better co-ordinators and I thought he kept a low profile all year. Well, that one moronic incident aside.

Two things I will guarantee -

1. Gase will not become the Broncos HC if Fox leaves - no way Elway hires a rookie HC - if anyone on the Broncos staff is promoted it would be Del Rio.

2. If Elway wants Kubiak then Kubiak becomes Broncos HC - Kubiak has always claimed that there are only two teams he ever wanted to HC - Houston and Denver. The press release will be irrelevant if Elway phones (and I suspect was actually a signal to the Broncos that Denver is the only place he would go).

That sounds like a whole lotta conjecture to me.

If he wanted to coach Denver there'd have been no release. End of story. Also, are you telling me Manning, at 40, will be willing to take on a new offence? And if Manning does leave you think Kubiak will take on a gig with a qb with no experience?

If he wanted to coach Denver there'd have been no release. End of story.
    Conjecture - to a degree yes - but there are countless examples of potential HCs ruling themselves out of jobs and then being appointed. I guarantee you that if Elway wants Kubiak then Kubiak will become the Broncos HC. The relationship between Elway and Kubiak goes back to when Kubiak drafted by the Broncos.
    Also, are you telling me Manning, at 40, will be willing to take on a new offence?
    I think Fox and Manning are joined at the hip and if one goes, both will go. Manning will not play for a new HC.
    And if Manning does leave you think Kubiak will take on a gig with a qb with no experience?
    yes - Kubiak would come in as part of a long-term plan. Elway went all in to win the SB now with Manning - that gamble is over. However, Elway has been very astute in how he has built the roster and most of the pieces are in place to maintain the Broncos as an elite team. Furthermore, Kubiak is very good at developing QBs.

I am not sold on Kubiak coming in to replace Fox - but I can see the thinking behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fox and Broncos have parted company - Jay Glazer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So does that mean that Kubiak will move up? Or will it be Del Rio?

So does that mean that Kubiak will move up? Or will it be Del Rio?

Kubiak has already said he's not going anywhere, and conjecture aside I'd be amazed if he did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The #49ers are expected to meet with and make a final push for #Broncos OC Adam Gase tonight, source said.

Not sure what to think about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

All Broncos coaching staff are gone according to twitter. Wow fair play to Elway, cleaning the mess up straight away. I expect Manning to go soon now after Gase and Fox both moving on.

Raf32 wrote: »
    All Broncos coaching staff are gone according to twitter. Wow fair play to Elway, cleaning the mess up straight away. I expect Manning to go soon now after Gase and Fox both moving on.

I wouldn't mind my team being in a mess like the Broncos...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I wouldn't mind my team being in a mess like the Broncos...

They were in a coaching mess though, fox is extremely average. If they had better they would have a Superbowl in the last three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

NFL teams can do a lot worse than John Fox. How many coaches take 2 different teams to the super bowl or win a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB? Maybe it was time for him to split with the Broncos but if my team needed a coach I'd be happy to hire him.

Fox was the right person at the right time for the Broncos to stabilise and then progress the team after the McDaniels disaster. He deserves massive credit for this accomplishment. However, there was clearly a growing feeling within the Broncos and with Fox himself that he had taken the team as far as he could.

I think this was the right decision at the right time and demonstrated once again that when necessary Elway will act decisively in an effort to improve the team. I expect Fox to get another job very quickly if he is interested.

I suspect that Elway will look to some experience although there is a limited number of people out there. Del Rio appears to be top candidate for the Raiders and will interview for a second time tomorrow. I expect Gase to jump at a job if offered because if the rumours are true he won't be in Denver for long.

If Elway thinks Kubiak is the man I would expect that to be sorted quite quickly and if Kubiak becomes HC then I would expect Rick Dennison to follow him in as OC. The big question is who will be the DC - and I expect they will target a DC who likes a physical, in your face, approach which would suit the talent Denver has on defence.

Last point - I suspect that Fox leaving will also mean that Manning is done in Denver.

• Advertisement

Confirmed that all the coaching staff in Denver have been released - Elway is cleaning house. Apparently Manning wanted Gase as HC (probably felt the only way he would be back) - and that could be the reason that Elway released all the coaches.

Elway has been ruthless - he doesn't accept standing still - and that is what was happening with Fox. It is going to be a very interesting week or so in Denver. (Rex Ryan must be kicking himself for jumping into the Bills with both feet)

Advertisement