Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Looks like Kubiak is getting a 4 year deal with the Broncos.

Yep - will be announced Tuesday - Dennison to be OC (not unexpected) and the word is Joseph will be DC (although there are a few DCs out there that I would like to see interviewed).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

didn't really know where to post this so I said I'd post it here.

My question, Is it normal to hire position coaches and assitants before hiring the Coordinator?

The 49ers seem to have the following locked in to their offensive staff:

Quarterbacks coach: Geep Chryst
    Running backs coach: Tom Rathman
    Offensive line coach: Chris Foerster
    Assistant OL coach: Eric Wolford
    Wide receivers coach: Ronald Curry
    Offensive assistant: Mick Lombardi

This all strikes me as very starnge given no OC has been appointed. Surely any OC would want to bring in his own guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Marc Trestman to the Ravens as their new OC to replace Gary Kubiak is done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Yep - will be announced Tuesday - Dennison to be OC (not unexpected) and the word is Joseph will be DC (although there are a few DCs out there that I would like to see interviewed).

Well done chief- you called it early.

Amazed by the Trestman appointment. These journalist with "insiders" are such a nonsense. Nearly everyone of the co-ordinator appointments are straight out of nowhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Paully D wrote: »
    Marc Trestman to the Ravens as their new OC to replace Gary Kubiak is done and dusted.

This makes me happy. Glad he didn't wind up in San Francisco.

• Advertisement

Doug Marrone is the new Jaguars O-line coach. Oh how the mighty have fallen!

However, he has also been given the title of "assistant head coach". I'm going to assume the Jaguars have lined him up as their next head coach then and if Bradley early in the season doesn't look like getting the type of improvement the Jaguars were hoping for last year, he'll be replaced with Marrone.

$4m from the Bills plus whatever the Jaguars pay him (tax free) and being based in Florida. I can't say I blame him mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

adrian522 wrote: »
    This makes me happy. Glad he didn't wind up in San Francisco.

If the Ravens had any shot at Kyle Shanahan they completely dropped the ball imo. He was the perfect replacement for Kubiak.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    If the Ravens had any shot at Kyle Shanahan they completely dropped the ball imo. He was the perfect replacement for Kubiak.

I think he'd pretty much agreed to take the Falcons job before Kubiak had even left Baltimore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Unlucky - expect a good first year and then a massive drop off (it's been the way for him every job as OC/HC in the league). So glad to be rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Jags have appointed Greg Olsen as their new OC. Great hire, the guy did a good job with utter tripe in Oakland, Bortles should be very happy.

• Advertisement

There is a rumor circulating that Adam Gase pretty much had the 49ers job wrapped up and messed up his final interview, coming off as arrogant and cocky and that was why he missed out and is not being considered for the OC role.

Seems a strange situation and could be all BS but it certainly seemd like he was about to be offered the job then suddenly Jim Tomsula was the new HC.

Eddie Borsilli @Borsilli
    Buzz around Mobile. Adam Gase screwed up the 49ers HC job in the last interview. He had it locked up before final meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Broncos supposedly talking to Wade Phillips for DC position. Would be a great hire if this comes off.

In news that is hard to get excited about the 49ers will hire Eric Mangini as Defensive Coordinator and Jason Tarver will be the LB Coach.

Still no word on a OC. Names linked included Trestman, Adam Gase and Kyle Shanahan who have all found employment elsewhere.

Other names mentioned have been Mike Shanahan (unlikely to take an OC position though), Rob Chudzinski (Colts declined permission for him to interview though apparently his contract runs out soon anyway), Lane Kiffin (Really hope this doesn't happen which probably means he's in place by Monday).

An in-house candidate could be QB coach Geep Chryst, great name but QB play was sub-par recently, don't see him as being a god hire. Jed will probably hire whoever is cheapest from those listed or you know, just run the offense himself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dick Le Beau on the way to the Titans, apparently because his wife prefers Nashville over Arizona :eek:

Rob Chudzinski is staying in Indy. Associate HC, whatever that means.

The 49ers are now pretty much stuck with another in house hire by the looks of things. QB coach Geep Chryst. Lots of puns possible with that name. Kaepernicks play last season doesn't exactly inspire confidence to be honest so I'll be pretty pessimistic if he is the hire.

Other possibilities? There was one report of Mike Shanahan, but realistically he is not taking an OC role.

Possibly looking at poaching the OC of either of the superbowl teams but that seems unlikely too, neither would be allowed move "laterally" I would imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dowell Loggains is avaialble..

spiralism wrote: »
    Broncos supposedly talking to Wade Phillips for DC position. Would be a great hire if this comes off.

The Broncos still want Joseph - to be honest the Bengals are doing Joseph an injustice by not letting him take a promotion to DC (and not the first time they have done this).

Wade Phillips is the backup plan - and probably the best candidate available after Joseph. Phillips has always put together a good defence and has a good pool of talent to work with if he ends up with the Broncos.

Rob Chudzinski is staying in Indy. Associate HC, whatever that means.

"Next Head Coach".

Doesn't say much for Pagano or Hamilton in that case. To me it seemed like a change in job title and pay increase for doing the same job to try and make him stay

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

"Next Head Coach".

Hopefully your correct :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Doesn't say much for Pagano or Hamilton in that case. To me it seemed like a change in job title and pay increase for doing the same job to try and make him stay

Hamilton was viewed as potential HC material this year and the Colts don't think he'll be around after next year! I'd say this contract is a tie over until the OC job becomes available!

What teams interviewed Hamilton? I don't remember any, the 49ers didn't and they seemed to interview everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

What teams interviewed Hamilton? I don't remember any, the 49ers didn't and they seemed to interview everybody.

raiders did as far as I know! It was a surprise more didn't to be honest!

He is in a similar position to Adam Gase - there's confusion over how much of the offence is his and how much of the productivity come from having Andrew Luck. On the flip side some members of the (local mostly) media are wondering if the offence is held back by Paganos conservatism!

He's a smart guy - there's no doubt about that - and he's far more creative than people give him credit for IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Associate head coach means nothing.

The Ravens special team coach Jerry Rosburg (I doubt any of ye ever heard his name) has that title for years. He will never get the top job

Broncos have hired Wade Phillips as Defensive Coordinator - the Broncos will transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defence (looking forward to seeing Von Miller take advantage)

The 49ers will name Geep Chryst as OC. It seems all the real coordinators wanted nothing to do with the 49ers or their incompetent front office.

It really does seem a case of no one else was available or interested, so they hire the guy who was there all along, they could have named him weeks ago but didn't so it's obvious he was plan B, C, D or whatever.

We have a staff full of rejects, we've just fired a staff that was historically good in NFL terms. But hey, at least now we'll be winning with class.

I think Eddie Said it best.

10891681_349803075202599_826975426880186721_n.jpg?oh=4019ab355bd2c7e12c4862d1ebfe98ff&oe=5528D43F&__gda__=1432779006_1984705934126b9a602aa9f408357d6a

Tirana fire lake dawson apparently well regarded.
    Pollard is pretty damn pissed going by what he's tweeted

Tirana fire lake dawson apparently well regarded.
    Pollard is pretty damn pissed going by what he's tweeted

Hopefully the Titans release him as per his request and the Ravens take him back! :pac:

Dick Le Beau is now a Titan it seems according to the beat writers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

World and its mother knew this was happening, but Dan Quinn has reached an agreement with the Falcons

nfl_g_danqts_600x400.jpg

Massive loss to the Seahawks but hopefully he gets the Falcons back to winning ways.

#Quinning

Advertisement