Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Quinn to the Broncos I feel. Could suit them perfect. Dont think Gase would be a good HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Raf32 wrote: »
    Quinn to the Broncos I feel.
    Adam Schefter (who normally has inside info on the Broncos) is saying that Quinn is top of the Broncos list.

Adam Schefter (who normally has inside info on the Broncos) is saying that Quinn is top of the Broncos list.

Would be a perfect fit imo. Him with that D and if he could get one more year out of Manning, hard to not see Broncos being close again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

No surprise to see Fox gone. A deer in headlights during yesterday's game, just as it was in the SB. Manning was awful, yet they persisted with the long shots that never looked like connecting.

A team built to win now was handed to him; Elway cuts ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Delighted Fox is gone, the right choice in all fairness. Quinn is an unknown but he also co-ordinated a SB winning defence so there's that. Ryan would be who i'd want but he's obviously gone.

Just glad Fox is gone, he did well stabilising a mess of a team but had long since shown he wasn't up to the standard at the highest level and we need to move on if we want a championship

Also, keep an eye out for Schwartz to Denver as DC ...you heard it here first

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Only issue with Quinn is essentially that he implemented the defense of Pete Carroll and it is unknown ho much input he really had. As with all the coordinators it is unknown how well he would do at HC.

Jim Tomsula is now being spoken about as a the 49ers top internal candidate which I find a bit concerning. The talk is also of Josh mcDaniels staying in New England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

adrian522 wrote: »
    Only issue with Quinn is essentially that he implemented the defense of Pete Carroll and it is unknown ho much input he really had. As with all the coordinators it is unknown how well he would do at HC.
    It appears that Quinn has the personality to be a HC and that is what is attracting the interest.

Personally I am leaning towards Kubiak - he prioritises the running game, is good at developing QBs and would install a West Coast type of offence that would be of significant benefit to Osweiler as it plays directly into his talents. On top of that he would likely bring in Dennison as OC who would sort out the OL. I also think spiralism could be right about Schwartz
    Jim Tomsula is now being spoken about as a the 49ers top internal candidate which I find a bit concerning. The talk is also of Josh mcDaniels staying in New England.
    There seems to be a certain trend developing -

Del Rio to the Raiders
    Gase to the 49ers
    Fox to the Falcons
    Bowles/Cable to the Bears
    Marrone to the Jets

The Broncos are the plumb job on offer and will probably get whoever they want - with Quinn appearing to be top of the list. If the Broncos talk to Kubiak this week I expect him to be HC - if not then I expect it to be Quinn (and Rex Ryan must be kicking himself as he would have probably been the top candidate).

Lastly - everyone seems to be figuring out that McD is not HC material - no one wants a rerun of his disastrous tenure in Denver.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It appears that Quinn has the personality to be a HC and that is what is attracting the interest.

Personally I am leaning towards Kubiak - he prioritises the running game, is good at developing QBs and would install a West Coast type of offence that would be of significant benefit to Osweiler as it plays directly into his talents. On top of that he would likely bring in Dennison as OC who would sort out the OL. I also think spiralism could be right about Schwartz

There seems to be a certain trend developing -

Del Rio to the Raiders
    Gase to the 49ers
    Fox to the Falcons
    Bowles/Cable to the Bears
    Marrone to the Jets

The Broncos are the plumb job on offer and will probably get whoever they want - with Quinn appearing to be top of the list. If the Broncos talk to Kubiak this week I expect him to be HC - if not then I expect it to be Quinn (and Rex Ryan must be kicking himself as he would have probably been the top candidate).

Lastly - everyone seems to be figuring out that McD is not HC material - no one wants a rerun of his disastrous tenure in Denver.

Not sure about people "figuring out" JMcD is not HC material. In SF he wouldn't have control over the things he had control of in Denver.

Lastly, the Broncos as the "plump job", really? With all those FA's and Manning possibly/probably gone, an unknown quantity at QB, I think you are overstating how attractive that position is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Broncos HC position is less attractive than the Bills if you take Manning off the Broncos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The Broncos are the plumb job on offer and will probably get whoever they want
    You are massively overstating this and I agree with adrian522, lots of issues to get sorted before a HC could decide on taking the job.
    Not sure about people "figuring out" JMcD is not HC material. In SF he wouldn't have control over the things he had control of in Denver.
    JRG has on going issues with McDaniel's time at Denver and feels the need to poke at him numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Jolly we'll get to see who's right by the looks of things.... according to Schefter Denver will request a Kubiak interview.

Vic Fangio putting it out there that he will leave if he is not the HC or working under Mike Shanahan.

I'm told word in coaching circles is 49ers DC Vic Fangio now wants out of SF unless he gets HC job... or Mike Shanahan does.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Give him the gig and throw a fortune at the best OC available.

This isn’t the trainwreck New York or Chicago have- continuity is fine for the 9ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hands off Kubiak. ...

I agree, he has said Kyle Shanahan would be his first choice at OC.

I certainly don't see any sense in giving the HC job to an outside defensive guy. Either an offensive HC or Fangio are the options they should be looking at.

Broncos HC position is less attractive than the Bills.

Eh? This Broncos team is still stacked and even if Manning calls it a day that puts them on about a par with Buffalo

Lot of talk doing the rounds that the Broncos feel that the coaches didn't think they had a win in them on Sunday with Manning being as crocked as he was so they all had themselves with one foot out the door. Elway has told them all they're free to search for other jobs and all the talk is that the Broncos won't be going in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

spiralism wrote: »
    Eh? This Broncos team is still stacked and even if Manning calls it a day that puts them on about a par with Buffalo

Lot of talk doing the rounds that the Broncos feel that the coaches didn't think they had a win in them on Sunday with Manning being as crocked as he was so they all had themselves with one foot out the door. Elway has told them all they're free to search for other jobs and all the talk is that the Broncos won't be going in house.

Nope

- higher expectation level;
    - roster is less well geared into the future;
    - moving on from a 'guy' at QB is easier than moving on from the GOAT regular season QB;

Next man in at Denver highly likely to fail over a couple of year period.
    I think you have a better shot at Buffalo.

But they're both bad jobs - hence why they're free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bills defense is far better, while Broncos WR corp is better. I'd take an elite Defense and no one at QB vs a good WR corp, good defense and no one at QB. To add I was referring to Broncos without Manning, I should have clarified that.

Bills is a harder job to succeed in for two simple reasons: Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

With them around, best any AFCE coaching candidate can hope for is competing for a wildcard spot.
    Bills defense is far better, while Broncos WR corp is better. I'd take an elite Defense and no one at QB vs a good WR corp, good defense and no one at QB. To add I was referring to Broncos without Manning, I should have clarified that.

Broncos defence definitely has the talent to be elite in all fairness. Look at that pass rush and secondary after all. Just been very disappointed in Del Rio the last two years now and ill be glad to see the back of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bills also don't have a QB (yes I'm including Manuel in that who is terrible) and have no first round draft picks this year (their first pick comes at number 50). They have a very good defence but that's about it right now.

Even without Manning the Broncos still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Although I imagine they could lose one or two in the off-season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Another point on the Broncos HC role...you have to deal with Manning going behind your back talking to Elway, so basically you are a bit of a puppet HC. I would expect some no name coordinator (most likely defensive) to get the job who is expected to stay out of the way of Gase, Manning and Elway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Unfair to call Manuel terrible. He hasn't been given a fair shot. Marrone couldn't be arsed to develop him, and it's not going to change with Rex. Just ask Geno Smith...

Hazys wrote: »
    Another point on the Broncos HC role...you have to deal with Manning going behind your back talking to Elway, so basically you are a bit of a puppet HC. I would expect some no name coordinator (most likely defensive) to get the job who is expected to stay out of the way of Gase, Manning and Elway.

Gase won't be on the next staff. I'd bet good money on it. He'll be hired by another team or will just leave if he doesn't get the gig himself. Elway supposedly wants the lot of them gone and is leaning towards outside candidates.

Also, about a day ago we were all talking about the likelihood of Manning retiring so that concern is possibly moot too.

Why are they clearing out the entire staff? I don't understand it. They have just delivered 4 consecutive division titles. Now all the coaching staff are out, It's unclear at this point if the HOF QB is even welcome back. Some of the key offensive weapons are due to hit FA.

From an outsider looking in ( and not generally paying a whole lot of attention to what goes on in Denver) surely John Elway has some serious questions to answer for all this?

Why are they clearing out the entire staff? I don't understand it. They have just delivered 4 consecutive division titles. Now all the coaching staff are out, It's unclear at this point if the HOF QB is even welcome back. Some of the key offensive weapons are due to hit FA.

From an outsider looking in ( and not generally paying a whole lot of attention to what goes on in Denver) surely John Elway has some serious questions to answer for all this?

Elway wants no part of any of it apparently and holds them all accountable for underachieving and sees a clean break as the only way to change a culture of choking. Also, a lot of them underperformed quite badly this year in their own areas. Del Rio's defence was middle of the pack in points allowed and it's wedged with talent. Offensive line was a mess as was the offence and offensive playcalling in general.

That said, he's informed them they're under contract but can look for other jobs. Del Rio will go to Oakland or another HC gig and tbh that was happening regardless.

Shannon Sharpe made a good point for someone who's close to Elway on NFLN earlier: Elway's pretty clear on that he doesn't find four straight division titles as being good enough with a HOF QB and with spending nearly 60 million on defence in the offseason. The goal is championships, not merely playoff appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ya its all a bit shocking alright. There was no word of discontent in the Broncos front office before the weekend and now come Monday, everybody is fired :eek:

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 11m11 minutes ago
    Sources: Adam Gase currently meeting with 49ers officials in Denver. Expected to be marathon. Elway plans to meet w/ Gase when it concludes.

Looks like Broncos want to keep Peyton happy maybe? Cant see why the 49ers want any part of him being honest.

Hazys wrote: »
    Ya its all a bit shocking alright. There was no word of discontent in the Broncos front office before the weekend and now come Monday, everybody is fired :eek:

Lot of talk from Denver media that Elway felt that Fox or one of the staff had given the leak that he was fired if they lost to Indy in order to position himself to find a HC gig somewhere else and it motivated him to do just that. Supposedly they hadn't considered the idea but then felt he was positioning himself to get out and the coaches mailed it in with job offers likely.

In essence, he felt that the staff mailed it in for a ****ing playoff game, to which firing them all would be an adequate response.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 11m11 minutes ago
    Sources: Adam Gase currently meeting with 49ers officials in Denver. Expected to be marathon. Elway plans to meet w/ Gase when it concludes.

Looks like Broncos want to keep Peyton happy maybe? Cant see why the 49ers want any part of him being honest.

He'll be interviewed but i don't think Elway's gonna rush it either. Quinn and Kubiak will be interviewed too, probably Bowles as well.

If we hire Kubiak, i'm done.

• Advertisement

He'll be interviewed but i don't think Elway's gonna rush it either. Quinn and Kubiak will be interviewed too, probably Bowles as well.

If we hire Kubiak, i'm done.

Ya if i were a broncos fan it would be for me in preference Quinn,Bowles and then a toss up between the other two who arent a step up from Fox. Id say someone could be in by friday. Shame Rex didnt hang on a bit longer and you would have got the perfect coach for manning.

Advertisement